survival tips

Started by lil_mouse, April 28, 2007, 09:37:50 PM

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"Zoupzuop2- Your tips are good, except I'd warn against selling random drawings and stuff if you don't have an Artist colony table. random sitting around and selling stuff may get you in trouble with rovers and security. I know this because it happened to my friends before. So...yeah.

Also, I agree that signs are kinda meh..especially those 'Will Yuri/Yaoi for money'. Most of the time these are underage kids offering what could be seen as 'sexual' services for money.

Nobody really cares in Fanime, but you could be receiving a stern lecture from a patrolling policeman if caught.

At least, that's my thought.
Yeah, I was only talking through experience... I had some guy pay me $6 to draw a furry in the back of his book... and I'm no artist, but... 0_o
And, while I would totally think that offering sexual services for money is totally unethical, it's up to the person at hand. It's all up to what they're willing to put forward.

Karen, how do you mean?
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Kintaka

Here's a tip I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been mentioned yet, bring extra batteries for your camera, (meaning also make sure you have a camera) as you will never know when you may need/want it.  I know my first year at Fanime I regret not having my camera easily accessible as I would have liked and therefore lost a lot of great photo opportunities.  

Also a small sewing kit for repairs (if you are cosplaying) and a small first aid kit are also good things to have.  

Be prepared to do a lot of walking around as well as standing in line, so if you aren't cosplaying make sure to have comfortable shoes and something to do while waiting in lines.

otakuya

To add to Kintaka's tips:
-bring any or all of the following: Nintendo DS, PSP, laptop, camcorder, camera, chargers for all, batteries, film, secure storage for them, possibly a 52 card playing deck or Pokemon/YuGiOh/Magic/etc deck(s)

The game systems are for if you're waiting in lines or sitting down somewhere. There will be an area for wireless gaming, so you may be able to make friends through there. The TCGs are for the tabletop gaming room, if you have the cards. There may also be regular card games, like poker. (In fact, I think there's still a poker tournament going on)

~~Loktera~~

Money. Clothing. Food. Water. Soap. Bring all and apply liberally.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Barnes

-Watch the Foamy the Squirrel piece on anime cons. I can't remember the link though.
-Remember links! XD
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Moonblossom

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"And, while I would totally think that offering sexual services for money is totally unethical, it's up to the person at hand. It's all up to what they're willing to put forward.

I'm pretty sure some law enforcement officers would tell you differently. Or does California have particularly lax prostitution and solicitation laws?

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Moonblossom"
Quote from: "zoupzuop2"And, while I would totally think that offering sexual services for money is totally unethical, it's up to the person at hand. It's all up to what they're willing to put forward.

I'm pretty sure some law enforcement officers would tell you differently. Or does California have particularly lax prostitution and solicitation laws?
Awk, something tells me I've started something bigger than I should've...

...I meant, say, someone holding a "Will Yaoi for $$$" sign, not as much a "Will sexxorz for $$$" sign. I'm sure law enforcement, as well as most of San Jose, would be much more clear on what's allowed or not.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Moonblossom

Whatever the sign says, it's the act that's illegal. It could say "will snoo-snoo for binkymuffins." If cash changes hands for any sort of remotely sexually gratifying act and The Man finds out about it, that's just a big freaking hassle for everyone involved, even if it was intended as a joke.

edit: I'm not trying to be argumentative or start shit here, I'm just stating that recommending this sort of sign or action to anyone is dangerous, because they could theoretically get into a fuckton of trouble for that sort of thing, even if they meant it as a joke.

As a (rather silly) example - I've got really large breasts (34F). I could theoretically make a sign or set up in corner allowing people to grab them for a dollar or whatever (not that I would, egh!). Even that, as silly and innocuous and otaku-ish as it seems, is a form of solicitation, since it's a sexual act for money.

G.I.R

Quote from: "Barnes"-Watch the Foamy the Squirrel piece on anime cons. I can't remember the link though.
-Remember links! XD
"Rules for the Masses"
A true Fandom must watch! :lol:

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Moonblossom"Whatever the sign says, it's the act that's illegal. It could say "will snoo-snoo for binkymuffins." If cash changes hands for any sort of remotely sexually gratifying act and The Man finds out about it, that's just a big freaking hassle for everyone involved, even if it was intended as a joke.

edit: I'm not trying to be argumentative or start shit here, I'm just stating that recommending this sort of sign or action to anyone is dangerous, because they could theoretically get into a fuckton of trouble for that sort of thing, even if they meant it as a joke.

As a (rather silly) example - I've got really large breasts (34F). I could theoretically make a sign or set up in corner allowing people to grab them for a dollar or whatever (not that I would, egh!). Even that, as silly and innocuous and otaku-ish as it seems, is a form of solicitation, since it's a sexual act for money.

1) I didn't know they went to F
2) I agree. This problem is further compounded when said officials witness that the people holding up these signs are, oh, 13-15 years old. THEN it gets to be a real problem, or it could be.

That's all we're saying. We're not saying "OMG DON'T DO IT!" all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be wise, and you want to avoid getting in trouble with rovers and cops.

Rovers and security in general are kind of like doctors, the less you see of them (for disciplinary purposes) the better it is for you.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Moonblossom

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"1) I didn't know they went to F
2) I agree. This problem is further compounded when said officials witness that the people holding up these signs are, oh, 13-15 years old. THEN it gets to be a real problem, or it could be.

That's all we're saying. We're not saying "OMG DON'T DO IT!" all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be wise, and you want to avoid getting in trouble with rovers and cops.

Rovers and security in general are kind of like doctors, the less you see of them (for disciplinary purposes) the better it is for you.

Oh god, they go up to like, H. >< I have a friend who is a GG cup, but she's generally quite large all over, so they don't look ridiculously huge. I suppose they could go bigger in really extreme cases, but F is not actually that big.

But I digress...

Yeah, I really hope I didn't come across as all like "omg this is teh wrong!" or anything, my initial comment about lax prostitutions laws in Cali was intended to be taken more as a joke than anything, to go with a word of caution. I'd just hate to see anyone's Fanime experience ruined by a misunderstanding that led to a run-in with the fuzz.

PacificPikachu

These aren't so much survival tips as enjoyment tips, but whatever. I think they'll serve you well anyway. :wink:

~ Be sure to go to as many things as possible. Don't overdo it, but if something looks interesting to you, don't pass it up! I've had friends go to conventions and not have a very eventful time. When I asked them why they didn't enjoy the convention as much as they expected, it became apparent that they had hardly gone to any events. Go to things!

Also, oftentimes the best events are the ones that seem embarrassing/a little outside your comfort level before you go to them. For instance, it took me twenty-one whole conventions to work up the courage to do karaoke, but once I did--wow, I sucked--but I wish I had done it at every convention, because I had a blast! So, don't be afraid to take some little risks or go to things even if they're a little intimidating to you.

~ On the flip side, don't do too much. Cramming your schedule too much will cause a lot of stress, and sometimes you'll find amazing amounts of fun waiting for you in the halls, in lines talking to people, or just hanging around. Find a happy medium where you have gaps between panels/viewing room/whatever so you have time to peruse the dealer's room, artist's alley, and generally wander.

~ If you're cosplaying, leave early for panels. I've been late to several panels because I was stopped so often for pictures! XD

~ Usually convention folk are great people, but if someone is making you uncomfortable (taking inappropriate pictures, following you, whatever), be sure to tell the person so. If they don't leave you alone, go to Con-Ops about it. In my experience, Con-Ops are friendly and willing to help.

~ Make sure to keep your badge on you at all times! This is especially difficult if you change in and out of costumes during the convention. Do a double-check on it often, because it's a hassle when you lose your badge. I lost mine jumping up and down at MusicFest one year.

~ If you're like me and enjoy having convention memories, definitely bring a charged camera with lots of pictures on it, or a camcorder, or even a notebook to write down your experiences in.

~ Go to the cosplay gatherings! They're fun, and it seems like a lot of the convention goers aren't aware they're happening.

~ Make friends! Convention people are almost always happy to make friends and talk anime with you. If you're in a line or you see a cosplayer who interests you, go up and chat!

~ Try to travel around the convention with a small group of friends. Having no friends around makes conventions a bit lonely, and big groups can get messy or hard to manage. Smaller groups tend to be the most fun and it's easier to agree what to go to.

I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of any right now. I hope you have fun, though! :D I think you're going to love the convention.

narutofan17

Don't take all of your money with you. Leave some of it at the hotel. I made that mistake when I went the first time and ended up spending all of my money the first day. Also, map out a schedule. Don't try to see everything (although that would be cool). Try to get to the things that you really want to see.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

kuroi

+ Set a budget -seriously, it seems that every con I attend, I don't think I'm buying that much stuff, but then I look back, and in one day, I've spent over $200, and I realize that my next payday is a month away, and that I'm living on stocked up cup ramen and water until then.

+Bring a bag - a large tote bag or backpack is nice, especially if you're not staying overnight. If you're cosplaying, this could get difficult, as it can ruin the look, but not every place will give you a plastic bag to carry stuff in, and even then, after a while, you start to look like the bag person on the corner. Plus, then your hands are free to snap pictures, wave at people, or peruse other shops.

+STAY HYDRATED - no matter how many people say it, this is probably one of the most important tips. I've seen far too many a friend have to go to the first aid station because they got excited, and didn't get thirsty, so thought they were fine. Five hours later, they're sitting with their heads between their knees trying not to pass out.

+Build in plenty of time to rest - sure there's so much going on and you'll want to see it all, but as related to the last one, spending time in the first aid station trying your hardest not to pass out is not fun. Even if it means having to miss the late-night marathons, get some sleep. Your con-mates and your body will thank you.

+Batteries are a must - memory cards as well; I don't know how big a picture taker you are, but as an example, in one hour at Sakura Matsuri, I managed to take over 75 photos. Fanime is four days. You do the math.

+Wear comfortable shoes - or, if your cosplay insists on shoes that you think will have your feet screaming at you by the end of the day, bring plenty of Band-Aids. Having to limp around because a blister popped and it hurts to walk normally ruins what should be a wonderful time.

+Explore! - cons have so many amazing things at them, and Fanime is one of my favorite cons because of its variety, of panels, people, shows, everything. If you see a long line for something that you want to see, don't be afraid! Stand in line for it! You meet some of the best people in line, especially if they're long. At AX 06, waiting for the CLAMP panel, I stood in line for almost two hours, but met some of the most fun people ever, and it made it a lot easier, as I was at AX on my own- not recommended.

+Get involved! - whether this means cosplaying, kareoke, taking photos, playing a massive game of CTF, or being the person everyone remembers fondly next year, DO IT! Conventions are held so that we can meet people with similar interests, and enjoy activities relevant to them, and most of all have FUN!

+Listen to the staff - they're there to make everything run more smoothly and make the entire con more fun; arguing with them just makes them mad, which ends up as a less-fun Fanime for the rest of us. Plus, as much as we all enjoy seeing the police cosplayers, I don't think any of us would much like if the real police invaded Fanime.

+Dress appropriately - this is more aimed towards dressing for the weather, as the con has its own rules about decency for cosplay. Sure, we're inside a lot of the time, but all the gatherings are outside, and you will have to travel the streets if you want cheap food, or get back to your hotel. And remember, this is the Bay Area. We've gone from 90+ degree weather to low 60s in a week. And that was normal. Having a sweaty costume or being freezing cold is not fun.

+Bring a notebook - If you're like me and like meeting a lot of new people, you'll want something to write down email addresses or IM screennames. Plus, you'll never know when you'll need something to write on or with! ^_^

+Ask before you glomp(or touch) - We see it all the time- someone rushing up, usually with a high-pitched squeal of joy, and the next thing you know, you've got a body hanging off of you, usually with their arms around your neck. A lot of people have no problem with this, welcome it, and some almost expect it. But, there are plenty of people out there who will get offended and upset if you try, and then you'll just look like a fool.

Speaking of signs, did anyone see the "<3 me, I'm lolicon" someone had last year? If signs like that are allowed, what're the rules?
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Rainbow Ichi

---->kuroi

In my mind, i think I'll be bringing two bags. One for tabletop gaming, and one for my food/entertainment/camera/paper and whatnot.

It does get bulky, is there some sort of storage system in Fanime?
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

heeroyuy135

I'll be wearing a little sticky note with the words "Yes, I'm glompable!"

kuroi

Quote from: "Rainbow Ichi"
---->kuroi

In my mind, i think I'll be bringing two bags. One for tabletop gaming, and one for my food/entertainment/camera/paper and whatnot.

It does get bulky, is there some sort of storage system in Fanime?

As far as I know, there aren't anything like lockers or a room where you can stash stuff. I usually just throw things in my hotel room if I don't think I'll need it anytime soon. At cons where I don't have a hotel room, I usually just bring a backpack and plan on cosplaying as something that won't be ruined by it.

the other option is to find a friend who is taking their rest and drop stuff with them ^_^

I've got one last tip

+Try out your outfit - this is mostly for cosplayers only, especially if you're bringing a costume out of retirement, or are just introducing it. Try it on at least a week or two beforehand to make sure that everything fits as it should, and that you don't have too much trouble with accessories or hairstyles. Check for anything that may fall off during the con and check on these items during the con to make sure they don't get lost. Also, if you're planning on a hair style that does not occur without large amounts of manipulation (e.g. Cloud or Sasuke), test it out and find what works best and stays. Also, easily touch-up-able makeup is awesome.
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Eri

Thanks for the replies!

The article with the tips has a tentative print date of May 17th in the San Jose Mercury...

:D
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

K&K4ever

I can't add much, but I can comment on a few things: Having signs is pretty cool, if you come up with something original, like at AX, these ass holes left early and left us with the bill, so I made a singe that went with my costume and made enough money to cover the remaining tab. . . that is until they banned singes and a security guard took mine.  :evil:

But anyway bring food, extra money and if you think you're getting worn out . . . TAKE A BREATHER AND GET SOME REST.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

CompyFranko

Some cheap food that will tide you over during con is trail mix and ramen and beef jerky.  My friend and I got through AX with two bags of trail mix and jerky.  We had ramen for breakfast every morning, and we bought dinner every evening.  We still got hungry, but we only paid for one meal a day.  We also brought Gatorade and fruit to hydrate us.

If you are going to get trail mix, avoid the kind with the dried fruit.  Raisins are fine, but the dried fruit gets all pasty in your mouth and makes you feel more dehydrated when you can't swallow it down.
HYPAH BEAM!