Figurine dealers? Also, questions about figurines...

Started by FanFicGuru, April 30, 2007, 10:47:43 AM

Do you collect Figures/Figurines?

Yes. I have a large collection (20+ figures)
3 (30%)
Yes. I have a decent collection (10-19 figures)
0 (0%)
Yes. I have a small collection (1-10 figures)
3 (30%)
Not yet, but I'm planning to soon!
1 (10%)
No. Don't plan on it.
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 30, 2007, 10:47:43 AM

FanFicGuru

Hey all,

I'm looking to start building up a quality figurine collection. The first figurines that come to mind are the Haruhi ladies: Haruhi, Yuki and Mikuru.

So, I just wanted to get some feedback on the quality of the figurine vendors that are at Fanime, as well as some recommendations for good online figurine dealers.

So, yeah. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

The-O

Sure, I can give you as much info. as you need. I am working a separate side project I brought up a couple years ago here on the forum.
Sent you a PM.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

SuperKawaiiNeko

Why didnt you just post it here? Maybe some of us are interested in figures, too ;_;
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

The-O

That's because I am actually working on something related to this, simply because I found that there really isn't any good online resource for this sort of thing. I am actually looking for people who may interested in helping with this, PM for more info. :wink:

Anyways for figure vendors at Fanime there's a lot, just off the top of my head can think of a few:
Anime Jungle
Anime Palace
Cards and Comic Central

I am also offering a full crash course on figures merchandising such as how to buy, identifying, that sort of stuff, at the Con. If you're interested, please PM me so we can arrange something.
www.t-ono.net

Tsubasa

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"as well as some recommendations for good online figurine dealers.
I personally use Hobby Search for my PVCs and potentially cold casts.  I hear plenty of good things about Hobby Link Japan too, but I haven't ordered from them.  Animaxis stocks newer PVCs often.  Make sure you buy them with other stuff cause shipping is an arm and a leg.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

FanFicGuru

Thanks The-O...I'll take you up on your offer and as I get information I'll post some here.

I've found that Rightstuf has some cool figurines for decent prices. There's a difference between shopping smart and shopping cheap, and I'm not interested in shopping cheap for these figurines. I expect to be purchasing high-quality figurines and am willing to pay the price that comes with that.

Anyways, I've got your AIM now O so I'll be in touch.

Thanks everyone. I'll update this thread more later.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

The-O

I would not really recommend using hobbysearch, HLJ (Hobby Link Japan) or Animaxis for beginning collectors; I've used all 3 in the past, and still do.
The main way people use those 3 is for preorders. Things to note, all 3 of those online retailers are based in Japan so you will have to deal with international shipping, SAL (Surface Airlift) or EMS (Express Mail Service).
Also Animaxis generally does not offer combined shipping.

I won't go into further detail, as this board is for topics relating to Fanime "Dealers Room" not online figure shops. If you want to know more either PM me or visit my new web project listed and post there. I've been working on a complete guide recently, and it will take some time to finish.

The bottom line is generally you can get your figures cheaper at a convention, i.e. Fanime. :p
I do recommend though that you inspect all the figures you want to buy before purchasing even at Fanime. The Dealer's Room Staff has done a wonderful job in the past in rooting out counterfeit merchandise, but with the sheer volume of products, some do slip by.
Again, if you want a crash course including how to tell apart counterfeit figures at Fanime, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to arrange something at the Con.  :D  

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "FanFicGuru"as well as some recommendations for good online figurine dealers.
I personally use Hobby Search for my PVCs and potentially cold casts.  I hear plenty of good things about Hobby Link Japan too, but I haven't ordered from them.  Animaxis stocks newer PVCs often.  Make sure you buy them with other stuff cause shipping is an arm and a leg.
www.t-ono.net

The-O

Just like to add I saw a few counterfeit figures at this year's Fanime, I won't point fingers at who for now, simply because the dealers may not have known about it themselves.
They were quite easy to spot, as the quality of the box was inferior, and most of them were missing a manufacturer sticker.

Please be careful for next year.
www.t-ono.net

frumpy

Quote from: "The-O"Just like to add I saw a few counterfeit figures at this year's Fanime, I won't point fingers at who for now, simply because the dealers may not have known about it themselves.
They were quite easy to spot, as the quality of the box was inferior, and most of them were missing a manufacturer sticker.

Please be careful for next year.

Please PM me on these dealers. I don't care if they didn't know, we need to enforce our bootleg policy. A lot of times, dealers PRETEND and ACT like they didn't know they bought bootleg items. They are very sneaky and VERY shady fellows to deal with.

I found out dealer X displayed real Mokona Plushies on their shelves, but sold the bootlegs from behind their booths. I didn't find this fact out til Monday, during teardown. There's not many dealers who sold these plushies, so I know who to narrow down the suspects on my sh!t list.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

The-O

I've sent you a message about the dealer in question frumpy.

I have been asked by several people on this board to apply for a fan panel next year about figures particularly spotting bootlegs, I might consider that.
www.t-ono.net

sunrise-oasis

yeah i was abit puzzle, there was figurines that aquired assembly and there was that don't I bought a figurine set last time that came in assembly parts *sailor moon eternal moon outfit, Ami's nightgown outfit, Usagi's school girl outfit..etc.. but when i came by again to buy the same set, it did'nt came in assembly, its as if they are all glued in ONE shot!... Which one is counterfiet? the one that is assembled?