My First Convention in US-Fanime!

Started by Rainbow Ichi, May 07, 2007, 09:00:11 PM

Rainbow Ichi

Haro!

I'm Rainbow Ichi and I've been living here in US for about 2-3 years(legally mind you*flashes green card*) and I've never had the courage to come to any con due to financial things.

Anyways, I have visited some cons held back where I came from, and we always had a hard time because we: 1: always run out of food. 2: not much seats to sit on. 3: there's probably 40 Official vendors selling and only 10 indie(individual/self-sufficient) booths to check out, I could probably finish passing through them in 5 hours's time. 4: Its hot, even if the airconditioner's at full blast.

Ah well. I've read the survival tips and It seems to help :)
Would anyone entertain some of my questions which did not seem to be answered by the 'search' button.

1. How long does a One-day Pass last? __am-__pm ?

2. What's the Art Show O_o? Just pay and display and leave it there?

3. I've seen the Video Marathon list, judging from that I wanna watch overnight soaking myself on anime and Asian films, Is food allowed inside? And When my entrance badge ends while i'm watching, will I be kicked out?

4. Is it okay to like..give out freebie bookmarks me and my friends worked on to everyone i meet? (promoting here...ehehe ^^;;)

More questions soon..........

D:
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

Krnchichiri

Welcome to the Fanime boards, Rainbow Ichi!

1. One day passes last from the time you buy them [you can only buy them at the convention, not online] until you... leave. I'd say the deadline would be 12:00 am. ^^

2. The art show, from my understanding, is where people just display their arts and have a mind to sell it. It is open to the public. I believe you can just leave your artwork there as it is not to be removed unless you move it or sell it. ^^;; A bit of a vague explanation can be found at the Fanime mainpages here. ^^

3. I'm sure you wouldn't be kicked out... but I'm not so sure about food.

Err, I'm probably a bit wrong on these, but I tried.
See you around at Fanime. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

JetPackJohnny

First of all, it's awesome that you chose Fanime as your first con. Hopefully you wont be dissapointed.

To adress some of your problems (to the best of my abilities)...

1: Con food tends to be pricy so if you are planning to buy food, its best to go out of the con and eat at the other places outside the Con

2: The seating problem is like non-existant here. from what I saw last year. There are seats at each end of the Con and of course there are seats in the viewing rooms and in the day time its usally empty, so finding somewhere to take a breather should be easy

3: I think we have about 60 vendrs this time around so it should take longer hopefully, and of course the art room there as well

4: The con is a pretty cool place actually, especially the viewing room. soo nice in there. The dances tend to heat up in there, but thats to be expected when there is like a room practically full with people dancin like there is no tommorow. Other than that, a nice chillin place.

So I hope that helped a little bit and have fun at Fanime! :)

Eri

Quote from: "Rainbow Ichi"

4. Is it okay to like..give out freebie bookmarks me and my friends worked on to everyone i meet? (promoting here...ehehe ^^;;)

D:

As long as you're not soliciting anything and not being pushy about handing out the bookmarks, you should be fine.
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "Eri"

D:

As long as you're not soliciting anything and not being pushy about handing out the bookmarks, you should be fine.

Plus if you want to meet people from  this here boards, like me or Eri, just look inside the gatherings forum. There will be a fanime board panel on monday. Just come in and say hi. We from the Fanimafia, don't bite :D(we're very friendly people) or look for a gathering thread and stuff. :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

madmanlotar

Bringing your own food should not be a problem if you are planning to eat while you watch movies and anime.  You should be mindful of trash though.

LordKefka

Bring own food
Get free posters and stuff
Look around
Arcade room
Panels to see people from Japan
etc etc
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

IamTetsuo

You won't get kicked out of the video rooms with your one day pass after midnight, but you won't be able to get into the dealer room, art show room, panels, and every other room that requires you to show your pass at the door once they open back up in the morning.

Trust me one day isn't enough, you'll be begging for more if you don't go for the whole weekend (hell you'll be begging for more even if you go for the whole weekend!)

As far as food goes, you won't get harrased for bringing a pack lunch for yourself.  Just don't bring food to sell, you'll get in big trouble for that.

Rainbow Ichi

Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"
Quote from: "Eri"

Plus if you want to meet people from  this here boards, like me or Eri, just look inside the gatherings forum. There will be a fanime board panel on monday. Just come in and say hi. We from the Fanimafia, don't bite :D(we're very friendly people) or look for a gathering thread and stuff. :D

Okay D: erm, what are panels? o_o..

Quote from: "madmanlotar"Bringing your own food should not be a problem if you are planning to eat while you watch movies and anime.  You should be mindful of trash though.
Yay! :) I wont make a mess, so long there's a trashcan/bin nearby.

Quote from: "IamTetsuo"You won't get kicked out of the video rooms with your one day pass after midnight, but you won't be able to get into the dealer room, art show room, panels, and every other room that requires you to show your pass at the door once they open back up in the morning.

Trust me one day isn't enough, you'll be begging for more if you don't go for the whole weekend (hell you'll be begging for more even if you go for the whole weekend!)

As far as food goes, you won't get harrased for bringing a pack lunch for yourself.  Just don't bring food to sell, you'll get in big trouble for that.

hmm, I would be probably attending only the Saturday and Sunday one, my boss says we still work on monday :( but definitely saturday, if i'm tired, no sunday :|

oh, and I'm just one bus and light rail from the convention, i won't be needing a hotel i suppose. But i'd love the idea if ever the FanimeCon staff would make a 'weekend' pass of saturday and sunday, 30$ might be too much for me, paying another might double its effect.

I won't push, i'll be giving people i meet with a bookmark and meishi as a thank you ^_^

By the way, i've scouted the convention center and checked on the spots me and my bro could enter, took pictures so we don't get lost :) This was last saturday. (also test run on how long does one trip take from con to home, home to con) It was fun :) but yeah very spacious
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4220572&a=32517504&sp=25

Question
5. Is the MusicFest Free?

IamTetsuo

Musicfest is free for all Fanimecon attendees.

And panels are basically presentations given by somewhat famous people, or people who are knowledgeable on a subject.  Usually done in the following format: person gabs for a while on what they want to talk about then opens up the floor for Q&A.

narutofan17

Watch out for the wild otakus! Otaku:He has the special edition Evangelion boxset. GET HIM!!!!! O_O *runs away*
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Rainbow Ichi

6. should i get the weekend pass or the day pass?

I'm having thoughts of probably wanting to stay up late on saturday evening. It has never crossed my mind that you can do an all-nighter when i was trying to conceptualize my first con.

Anyways here's my possible schedule:
Friday if i could get off work early, i could just run to the SJCC, line up, buy ticket and go home and sleep.
Saturday bring my goban game, check things out(and check the location of the toilets first in case of emergency :P ) , watch the Go demo and participate in introducing the game of Go to anyone willing to learn. roam around, check out what's that artist colony and the goodies ^_^
tabletop gaming on 8pm, arcades!, karaoke, watch anime and so on.. prolly go home at around 12pm or so
Sunday May or may not go, if ever asleep for a long time :p
MondayCant go, my work does not tolerate holidays other than Thanksgiving and Xmas :(

Kava

From what it sounds like, you're only definitely going on Saturday, and -maybe- on Sunday? Since the weekend pass would be $55, and one-day passes are $30 each for Sat. and Sun. I'd probably recommend just getting the weekend pass. It'll save you $5 for the second day, and that way you won't have to stand in line at registration again on Sunday.

C'mon... you -know- you wanna go both days. Besides... the masquerade is on Sunday this year. =)
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Rainbow Ichi

Quote from: "Kava"From what it sounds like, you're only definitely going on Saturday, and -maybe- on Sunday? Since the weekend pass would be $55, and one-day passes are $30 each for Sat. and Sun. I'd probably recommend just getting the weekend pass. It'll save you $5 for the second day, and that way you won't have to stand in line at registration again on Sunday.

C'mon... you -know- you wanna go both days. Besides... the masquerade is on Sunday this year. =)

yay! Thanks for the advice :D *glomps*

D: I don't think I can go to that masquerade :( I got no classy clothes, and I can't stay in the evening, as i need my rest for work the following day.

Kava

Quote from: "Kava"From what it sounds like, you're only definitely going on Saturday, and -maybe- on Sunday? Since the weekend pass would be $55, and one-day passes are $30 each for Sat. and Sun. I'd probably recommend just getting the weekend pass. It'll save you $5 for the second day, and that way you won't have to stand in line at registration again on Sunday.

yay! Thanks for the advice :D *glomps*

D: I don't think I can go to that masquerade :( I got no classy clothes, and I can't stay in the evening, as i need my rest for work the following day.
The masquerade isn't a fancy dress event. It's where the cosplayers put on skits and things. It's the biggest event of the con though. I think it's going to start around 7 or 8, if I remember correctly, so unless you want to leave really early, you could still catch at least some of it and make it home to bed in time for sleep before work the next day.

If you need to leave early though, there's still a lot of events going on in the daytime on Sunday. The panels schedule is pretty much packed for daytime on both Saturday and Sunday, in addition to things like video, stage zero, dealers hall, etc.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels