Taking Photographs

Started by IamTetsuo, May 10, 2007, 05:37:29 PM

IamTetsuo

I am planning on taking photographs of cosplay and general anime fandom at the con this year for a photography class project.  The project will be a photography book that will be put on public display at the University of California Santa Cruz.  

I know that most people who cosplay don't mind people taking their pictures, but since any photos I take might be featured in a public art display this might change some people's willingness to be photographed.  

I will obviously let people know what I am doing ahead of time, and how I plan on using the photographs I take.  My question is: is simply a verbal agreement enough, or should I bring model release forms?

Another obvious issue are cosplayers under the age of 18.  How should I go about photographing them as most people come to the con without parental supervision?  Would simply asking for their contact information to obtain parental consent before I put the photographs on display work?

I don't plan on selling any of the pictures I take, this project is purely for educational purposes.

Eri

Well, lots of good questions.

In the land of Press/Media, we use release forms. I believe the research studies done by local grad students at Fanime in the past have also included release forms.. Since you're really neither, I can't be entirely sure that you should or shouldn't. If you feel you need to cover any legal holes, then release forms are a good idea.. Being up front and explaining it from the start is good. If you can, I would have the cosplayer ok the picture..

When you start dealing with minors (those under 18yrs) and their pictures, you have to include parents/legal guardians because legally they must give their consent as well as the minor. My advice is to stay away from minors (though I know about half the people that go are under 18yrs). If you can obtain parental consent later, that should be fine.

Hope this helps some...

Oh, one question for you: Can Fanime have a copy?

:)
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

IamTetsuo

Sounds good to me.  I'll talk to my teacher and see what she thinks and if she has any pre-made release forms.  I'm definatly going to try to stay away from obviously under 18 cosplayers (unless their parents are nearby to give consent), but with some people it's hard to tell how old they are.  I know nobody believes me when I tell them I'm 23!  I guess I'll just have to be up front and ask how old everyone is.

I only had planned on making one copy of the book, since it's going to be a hand made book.  But if it isn't too hard to duplicate, I'd be more than happy to make a copy for Fanime.   :D

IamTetsuo

OK another question.  I saw last year that there was a corded off area with a white backdrop for taking portraits.  Is anyone allowed in there or is that for press only?

Eri

I think that was for everyone, because I don't remember setting off space for press to take pictures anywhere...
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

K&K4ever

that area was for groups or indaviduals to get profetional pictures taken.

. . . if that was what you were talking about.
:oops:
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.