How exactly is Fanime different?

Started by heeroyuy135, May 14, 2007, 10:28:54 PM

heeroyuy135

I know that Fanime's slogan is "The anime convention By Fans, For Fans," but I wonder: How exactly is Fanime different from all the other major conventions, such as Anime Expo down in LA or the ones you always hear about? Is there something different in terms of the atmosphere, setting, or how its run?

FanFicGuru

Well, first of all Fanime, although maybe not as notable as AX or Otakon, is still one of the 5 largest conventions in the country (I think it's 5...if not it's definitely 10). So in sheer volume it stands with many of the larger conventions.

As far as the whole 'By Fans, for Fans' thing, I think the major thing is that Fanime is much like a listener supported radio station. Rather than accept a number of corporate sponsorships (like AX and Otakon), Fanime uses the money from pre-registrations to organize Fanime...taking all of the money the fans put into it and organizing it all into what we know as Fanime. Using it to hire guests, bands, bring out dealers, etc.

Fanime is also holding a silent auction to benefit breast cancer this year, and did the same thing for the 2nd harvest food bank last year if I remember correctly.

What makes Fanime 'different'? I would have to say the 'By Fans, for Fans' element. However, I also think that Fanime, while it is a very large convention, manages to retain a certain level of intimacy as opposed to 25,000 attendee+ cons like AX.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

kuroi

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"
As far as the whole 'By Fans, for Fans' thing, I think the major thing is that Fanime is much like a listener supported radio station. Rather than accept a number of corporate sponsorships (like AX and Otakon), Fanime uses the money from pre-registrations to organize Fanime...taking all of the money the fans put into it and organizing it all into what we know as Fanime. Using it to hire guests, bands, bring out dealers, etc.

What makes Fanime 'different'? I would have to say the 'By Fans, for Fans' element. However, I also think that Fanime, while it is a very large convention, manages to retain a certain level of intimacy as opposed to 25,000 attendee+ cons like AX.

I think the more intimate feel definitely sets Fanime apart, while still being big enough that you can't get bored (I've been to a few one-day cons in the Bay Area that only had a few hundred people) Having so much to do, while still feeling like you're definitely a part of something, instead of just another person in a crowd is important to me. Also, having the vast majority of the people at Fanime come from the same area gives us all something in common; we're often at the same small gatherings, and can easily remember people from years past.

Also, with not having a large number of corporate sponsors, Fanime can be a lot more open. This is obvious simply looking at the video programming schedule. AX will only show anime that has been licensed, and often they show the dub, while the video rooms at Fanime boast anime that started last month.
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Eri

One of the things that makes us unique (rather than different) is exactly what our by line states "By Fans, For Fans."

I look at it from a staff point of view. We are all anime fans, and were once members who went to Fanime. We loved Fanime so much that we became staff so that either we could be apart of something we love or wanted to make it better. We are also an entirely volunteer organization from the general staff to the chair to ARG (working behind the scenes with sneaky ninja stealth!). In other words, Fanime really is made and run by fans for fans..

That's amazingly different, to me anyhow..
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

phoenixphire24

The video programming! As mentioned, a lot of cons will only show licenced shows. Fanime, however, shows a lot of fan-dubs, usually from shows that have just been released in Japan. I love this because it gives me a chance to see what might be coming out the next year in the US. Also, the atmosphere is great! Fanime is a large con (like 5th or 6th largest) but it feels a lot friendlier than other large anime cons (like AX).

Kyokun

I have to agree with the friendly Fanime atmosphere.  I haven't been to AX yet (this year I'm going for a day), but I've heard mixed reviews about it being overcrowded and disorganized.  While sometimes Fanime is a little disorganized (e.g. can't find video rooms because of lack of maps), on the whole, it just seems... nicer.

Plus AX shows mostly dubs of licensed stuff, and I really really like Fanime's video selection.  Let's me know what to look forward to/hope for.  This year, since the video schedule was posted so early, I was able to do research on most of the anime showing, and have lots to look forward to!

Moonblossom

This will be my first year at Fanime, and I'm really looking forward to it, but I will say this. Having been at AX for the past two years, it feels more like an industry preview than a con at most points. Nearly all the videos and most of the panels are "What do the big players in the inudstry have lined up for next season? What should I buy next!?"

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's very commercial/impersonal feeling. From what I've heard, Fanime is the total opposite of that, and I'm really looking forward to it :D

phoenixphire24

Quote from: "Moonblossom"This will be my first year at Fanime, and I'm really looking forward to it, but I will say this. Having been at AX for the past two years, it feels more like an industry preview than a con at most points. Nearly all the videos and most of the panels are "What do the big players in the inudstry have lined up for next season? What should I buy next!?"

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's very commercial/impersonal feeling. From what I've heard, Fanime is the total opposite of that, and I'm really looking forward to it :D

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard about AX. Fanime does have some industry stuff, like last year they showed a preview for Moonphase and Trinity Blood and this year Gunbusters is being previewed, but most of it is new anime straight from Japan.

Glitch

What makes fanime different? It kicks ass, that's what! Does Ax have a hentai room with shouting of "horse"? I think not.

LordKefka

AnimeExpo is bigger, that is a fact. But it turns out that bigger does not = better. It's more about quality of the people at the con and how they choose to diversify Anime... not saying other conventions don't do this. But it is blatantly obvious many Anime companies have their leashes around conventions as they have a great influence of what should be in the screening rooms and such, taking the fun out of conventions and making it into one big advertisement ploy.

As the name indicates, Fanimecon is a convention by fans and for fans. What does that mean? People already explained it so I have no need to be redundant..lol

But what it comes down to is an amplification affect of fans who attend the convention and fans who make the convention possible as being staff/volunteer, hoping the next person who goes to the con will find some joy in turning something that was FOR them, BY them and so forth in the future. It's very good slogan to keep as it reminds everyone what most important to us, are the fans who continue the growth of this sub-cultural phenomenon going and expanding. [/b]
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

heeroyuy135

I haven't been to Fanime already, but I'm looking forward to staffing at Fanime '08...lol

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "HeeroYuy135"I haven't been to Fanime already, but I'm looking forward to staffing at Fanime '08...lol

and that's exactly the attitude that sets Fanime apart.

Staff at bigger conventions do it for notoriety and to boost their resumes in organizing huge events. And that's not necessarily a bad thing...it may be true that they're also dedicated to anime themselves...but the fact remains that they are usually compensated via sponsorship or other benefits of being a staff member.

Staff members from fanime had a positive experience and something to offer the convention, and so they jump right into the madness.

I really like that aspect of Fanime. So much so in fact that I may join the staff in 08 as well. ^_^
Swap meet staff - 2014

YoureMyHiro

Adding to everyone's posts, I think Fanime is also particularly special to us San Jose/Bay Area natives who can refer to this convention as "our" hometown con and that in itself sets it apart from the all the others, at least for me anyways.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "Glitch"What makes fanime different? It kicks ass, that's what! Does Ax have a hentai room with shouting of "horse"? I think not.

I'm going to have to agree on that.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Tony

I think it's because we're a big con that doesn't know we're a big con. We still approach it like fans... which has perks (it's reinvented about every year) and its drawbacks (sometimes we still work like there's only 1000 people coming, when there's 10x that much).
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

K&K4ever

They actualy listen to the fans and don't alianate them.

I know that I've said this about a thousand times but the requirements for the AX cosplay competition make it nearly impossible for regular fans to participate.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

~~Loktera~~

Putting it into terms that people like me might be able to understand...

The bigger cons, (AX and the like) are like Manga, official, lots of corporate involvement.

Fanime, is like Doujinshi. Self made, lost of fan involvement.

Personally. I like Doujinshi.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

heeroyuy135

I see what everyone is saying when it comes down to corporate sponsorships...I mean, look what came down to the news wire about AX's cosplay contest (from http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-05-17/anime-expo-announces-masquerade-and-cosplay-events):

ANIME EXPO® 2007 ANNOUNCES NEW ONLINE REGISTRATION SYSTEM FOR HIGHLY ACCLAIMED MASQUERADE AND COSPLAY EVENTS

Highly Anticipated Main Event Brings Industry Specific Prizes from Square Enix, Toei Animation, Bandai Visual and ADV

Anaheim, California (May 17, 2007) â€" Anime Expo® 2007 brings cos-play (costume play) to a new level of excitement. Cos-play is one of the most enduring traditions of Anime Expo® with both amateur and professional costumers hailing from around the world gracing the convention with their wonderful costumes and performances. This year's highly anticipated 2007 convention will be held June 29-July 2 at the Long Beach Convention Center. More information can be found on the website //www.anime-expo.org.

The Anime Expo® Masquerade (sponsored by iaTV) is one of the most popular main events at the convention with Top Five (5) coveted awards (Best of Show, 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place and runner-up) and a year's worth of bragging rights to the winner(s).

This year, additional industry prizes will be awarded to contestants of the Masquerade:

· Square Enix-will be awarding The Best Final Fantasy XI costume with a custom FFXI themed PC
· Toei Animation-will be awarding The Best One Piece costume with a GoH Autographed Toei Animation Prize Package
· Bandai Visual-will be awarding The Best Mecha costume with a Bandai Visual Prize Package
· ADV-will be awarding The Best ADV Character costume with a ADV Prize Package

Additional cos-play events for 2007 will consist of Chibi Masquerade, POP Shock Masquerade, Masquerade Ball and this year's debut event Midnight Tea.

All online event registration, rules and guidelines regarding costumes, weapons and codes of conduct can be found online at //www.anime-expo.org.

All registrants who register before the end of May are automatically placed into the drawing. Those who have already pre-registered are also automatically entered into this drawing. Secure pre-registration can be done via online at https://secure.rhq.com/anime/anime2007/attreg/index.cgi.

Quote from: "K&K4ever"I know that I've said this about a thousand times but the requirements for the AX cosplay competition make it nearly impossible for regular fans to participate.
And you wonder why...

FanFicGuru

So I went to Otakon's home page. Here's what it says:

Otakon is the convention of the otaku generation: by fans, for fans â€" and we're back for our 14th year!

I don't suppose Fanime has this copyrighted? lol
Swap meet staff - 2014

heeroyuy135

I wouldn't know just by the year the cons started; both Fanime and Otakon started in 1994