So...where IS the PLAY concert?

Started by Roger The Fox, May 20, 2007, 12:22:08 PM

Roger The Fox

I don't live in the San Jose area and I'll be coming from San Bruno, and I'm still not too sure if our group wants to go to it or not. It's mostly because of where it is (my group had said it's far away from the convention while the map is confusing me...) and of course the usual money issues.

So if someone is kind enough to tell me in simple term, how close is it from the convention center? And how long will it take to walk or take a bus to get there?
Fanime2003 Rocked!!! I can't wait for the next one!!!

heeroyuy135

Across the street @ the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts

KithKanan

It's not quite 'across the street' (that would be the Civic, where the Masquerade was the past 3 years) but it's only a block away -- it's the same place the Masquerade is going to be this year, so it's not that far at all.
Kickin' it Old-skool.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "KithKanan"It's not quite 'across the street' (that would be the Civic, where the Masquerade was the past 3 years) but it's only a block away -- it's the same place the Masquerade is going to be this year, so it's not that far at all.

Really? Masquerade is being held in the same place? That's spiffy. Must have been expensive to rent it out. >_<
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

yumicchi88

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"
Quote from: "KithKanan"It's not quite 'across the street' (that would be the Civic, where the Masquerade was the past 3 years) but it's only a block away -- it's the same place the Masquerade is going to be this year, so it's not that far at all.

Really? Masquerade is being held in the same place? That's spiffy. Must have been expensive to rent it out. >_<

you mean the civic Auditorium? yea, it sucks because they had musicfest there too for the past 3 years, and they are moving it to the J. i wonder howmany people can get in the room...
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

KithKanan

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"Really? Masquerade is being held in the same place? That's spiffy. Must have been expensive to rent it out. >_<

I don't know any real details since I'm not a staff/volunteer and never have been... but from what I gather from the forums, the Civic was getting more and more expensive every year to equip and staff for the lighting/other needs of the Masquerade.  It may be that the CPA was actually cheaper to rent this year, since it apparently comes in a more ready state.

From what I can tell so far, there are some ups and downs of the new location:

Ups:
- Much better seating!  No more folding chairs, and no more struggling to see over the people in front of you.
- Comes already equipped and staffed for lighting and sound.
- Newer facility, possibly a better stage/etc.  I preferred watching the Masquerade at Santa Clara over San Jose because of the above, but seating was limited (only ~600 seats) so it was always hard to get in.

Downs:
- Smaller.  About 400 fewer seats than the Civic (~2600 vs ~3000)
- No video projection system, or at least not available at a price Fanime could afford (I'm assuming this will end the long tradition of showing the AMV winners during cosplay judging.  This is definitely a big minus for those of us who don't go to the AMVs otherwise).

I guess we'll just have to see how it works out.  Still, I'm totally up for the better seating after being stuck behind BART BOY (aka "Light Rail Boy") with his giant sign a couple of years ago.

-Mike, who hopes knowledgeable staff will correct the almost certain inaccuracies of this post.
Kickin' it Old-skool.

KithKanan

Quote from: "yumicchi88"you mean the civic Auditorium? yea, it sucks because they had musicfest there too for the past 3 years, and they are moving it to the J. i wonder howmany people can get in the room...

According to the Convention Center website, around 1,000.  Since I've never been to MusicFest before, I don't know how full it was -- though I'd assume at least some people who would have been going saturday night will be going to Play! instead, despite how different the musical presentations will be.

-Mike
Kickin' it Old-skool.

yumicchi88

well, but there is more ups than downs!
and since the seats are kind of leveled, it is easier to see too! (if i remember correct)
I remember doing tap dance performance there. lol
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

maeiounj39

I couldn't go. It was too late at night for me.