FOOD & DRINK at the B&W Ball...

Started by 1Fireforge, May 21, 2007, 04:41:18 PM

1Fireforge

So, because of budget/Union Rules/etc., Fanime can't officially provide us any food or drink at the ball.  However, if a certain individual were to buy a whole bunch of stuff and then just happen to leave it on a table for all to enjoy, then that's just fine.  So, I need your help...what kind of snacks/munchies/drinks do people want?  Otherwise, I'll just bring a whole bunch of snacks, like chips, salsa, doritos, soda, etc...Any preferences?

--List so far--
Drinks:
Couple of cases of water
Several 2Ls of various sodas (coke, sprite, lemonade)
Several jugs of different juices

Food:
Tortilla Chips (the dry, non-messy kind)
Cookies
Wheat Thin-type crackers

Misc:
Gum
Altoids

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Neo-Zaku

Hmmmmm... would it not ok to bring beverages of an adult nature to the ball? Perhaps maybe a volunteer to check ID's or would it be more trouble then anything? I am willing to help chip in and bring some party platters to the ball.

Oh, burgers and hotdogs can be pretty inexpensive to cook up. Perhaps if we have ready access to outdoor area we can grill it or if we are confined to indoors perhaps a plug in flat cooker. I would volunteer to man that for an hour or so if it can be arranged.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

Akira Miyamoto

I dunno, nacho fingers and fancy white dresses don't quite mix. Some soda might be nice, though. Bottled water as well...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

1Fireforge

That's the thing - no one wants to soil their gloves and such with messy foods, so the food has to be pretty easy to eat, not too crumbly, and such, so I'm thinking that Doritos and the like are out.  Corn chips aren't too bad, neither are cookies, but I'm thinking this will be more like snacks rather than dinner =)

There will actually be a water station right outside and one inside the ballroom, but if some people prefer bottled water, we can make that happen also.  I figure I'll do a tentative list on the first post of the thread, and update it as we go on.

Also, unfortunately adult beverages are out...there are just too many difficulties with it.

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Eri Kagami

Unrelated question, but will the ballroom dance have a coat / purse check in? Anime Expo's ballroom dance had a fairly decent system.

IamTetsuo

Too many underaged kids for adult beverages.  Of course that doesn't mean you can't have a couple before coming down to the dance...

Although if you ask me ball room dancing and drinking probably don't go well together.  Better to wait for the rave, that's what I'll be doing...

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "IamTetsuo"Too many underaged kids for adult beverages.  Of course that doesn't mean you can't have a couple before coming down to the dance...

Although if you ask me ball room dancing and drinking probably don't go well together.  Better to wait for the rave, that's what I'll be doing...

Are you kidding?  High society has to get itself hammered to find the least bit of enjoyment in these things.

Uh... just kidding.  ^^;  It's 6AM, and I've gotten two hours of sleep last night and about 4-5 hours of sleep per night for the past two weeks.

But in all seriousness, maybe it's just the bodice rippers that I read, but my impression was that alcohol and ballroom are not exclusive of each other.
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

zoupzuop2

Hm. Do consider, though, that we'll be expecting plenty of underage people at the Ball, and having alcohol there would be, to say the least, frowned upon by the con center, San Jose, and California (not to mention everyone who has access to internet news if it gets too big-scale).
It'd save a lot of hassle if it was just kept to 'sober' drinks.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Hm. Do consider, though, that we'll be expecting plenty of underage people at the Ball, and having alcohol there would be, to say the least, frowned upon by the con center, San Jose, and California (not to mention everyone who has access to internet news if it gets too big-scale).
It'd save a lot of hassle if it was just kept to 'sober' drinks.

I agree completely.  Fanime is a family convention, and there are a lot of underage people running around.

I should have mentioned in my above post that while I think drinking and ballroom dancing don't necessarily not go hand-in-hand, I definitely think this should be an alcohol free event.
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

1Fireforge

Yeah, it's a tricky subject.  As much as I'd love to have some champagne and/or wine available for those to partake, it saves a lot of headaches in doing the ID thing and possible complications with the hotel.

Let's go VOLTRON force!