Black and White Ball 2007

Started by boots01, May 27, 2007, 03:53:30 AM

boots01

Did you like it?  Was it fun?  Would you go again?  What could have been done better?
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

felicity869

Did you like it? For the most part, yes.
Was it fun?  I had a lot of fun actually :)
Would you go again? Most definatly
What could have been done better? #1: the room was too small. Perhaps no one realized how popular it would be or maybe there wasn't a bigger room available but that was crazy. A bigger room what keep it from getting so hot and sweaty so quick and give everyone enough room to actually dance. Even with tons of people being pasted up against the back wall unable to dance at all, there were still tons of dancers bumping into us on the dance floor. More anoyingly was gettnig stepped on/shoved into the wall by all the people running around in a line.
#2: We desperatly needed more drinks. The soda and juice was gone in half an hour. I know that we probably don't have the money/permission for it but it really sucks to have to leave the dance to get water and then stand back in line again afterwards. Maybe even just having a water cooler in the dance room?
Starting on time would be a nice bonus too ;)

1Fireforge

My comments:

Did you like it? => Yes, for the most part
Was it fun? => Yes, for the most part
Would you go again? => If I'm at fanime con, then yes
What could have been done better?

1) First, let me address Felicity's point - I had no idea that there would be so many people there, so I only bought about twelve bottles of drinks and two cases of water (gratis, since there was no budget for snacks or drinks).  When we ran out of soda and juice, I started filling up the empty jugs with water.  True, it took me about ten minutes to come up with this idea, but I think I made somewhere between 10-15 trips back and forth filling up two liter bottles of water at the fountain =)  Possibly the drink bar just looked empty, but the bottles in the tub did have water in them.  In the future, a water cooler with a great deal of spare water jugs next to it would be very helpful.  I'm sure the ravers afterwards would also appreciate it.

2) A bigger room is a must.  When dancing, I also bumped into several people just standing around in the middle of the room or dancing also because things were so tight.

3) A bit more light, at least for the Ball part, would have been nice to find people and admire outfits.

4) A clearer set list or announcement of the type of dance would have helped many people.   Usually you can tell by the beat, but for the beginners, it's not so easy.  And more waltz! =)

- Francis (the guy in the white & blue vinyl Voltron outfit)

Let's go VOLTRON force!

AngelWings

Did you like it? For the most part.
Was it fun?   Yes
Would you go again? If I attended Fanime again yes.
What could have been done better?
1) I have to agree with the others. A bigger room is a necessity if something like this is to be pulled off successfully. No matter how careful you were you ended up smacking against someone else. And it stank worse then a ship full of sailors after a three month voyage. (Well maybe a slight exaggeration on that one.)
2) The dance lessons were a wonderful suggestion and helped a lot. I rather wish that they'd been held maybe twice that way two batches of people could have learnt and it would have worked better with people's scheduling. Because the room filled up and I think that discouraged others from attending.
3) I understand that the drinks weren't worked into the budget and it's awesome that you went and filled them back up. But if things aren't obvious especially in a dark, crowded, stuffy room then people aren't going to notice. Also I'm sure that despite your efforts the drinks *because I was checking* were gone quickly. Maybe con ops didn't realize exactly what a danger it is to not try to prevent that kind of dehydration, but it *should* have been considered.
*And a note to Con Ops. My mother attended the con and is an RN she went to the Con Ops. room and  suggested that you should refill the water as otherwise people were going to suffer serious dehydration. Sadly she didn't catch the name or tag number of whatever staff she met there as they very rudely ignored her professional opinion until she mentioned that should any con attendees suffer from that and end up needing to go to the hospital she would *I believe it was something like* testify as to the negligence of the con. ops office. Perhaps you should put people in the con ops rooms that are concerned about the welfare of your attendees. *This took place around midnight I believe as it occured during the regular fanime dance.*

Other than those things and of course the other responses points it was an enjoyable event.

Ekac

I'm giving a simplistic answer:

It was great fun.
It would have been better if I had a dance partner though. ._.''

Yeah, I guess the lack of water / space really adds on to my 'to be better' list. :) [lessthanthree]

1Fireforge

Angel, you're probably right - every time I refilled the jugs (and I did it two at a time), then I went back to do one dance, and then checked again, they were nearly empty).  The only way I could have kept up is if I made water duty my non-stop function, and I didn't really sign up for that =)  However, now that we have this feedback, I think there will be a much better arrangement next time...I shudder to think what might have happened if no one had been trying to provide water =)

In response to Ekac, I've been to a lot of balls, and the understanding at the ones that I go to is that you're expected to dance with other people rather than just the partner you came with.  That way, people who don't have a partner can still have a good time.  In fact, one of the things I usually do is specifically ask people who are sitting along the sidelines (i.e. wallflowers) to dance.  At the B&W ball, I never would have expected so many people to respond in the negative.  I think maybe if we made it clear during the dance class that people who just walk up to you and ask you to dance may not just be trying to hit on you, but may simply want to dance, so give them the benefit of the doubt.  If they ask you to dance the next dance or try and flirt with you, then you can say no =)

I'd also be happy to help teach two sessions of the class next year, and this time I'll be sure to have some great waltz music!

- Francis

Let's go VOLTRON force!

boots01

let me first address what seems to be the main concern here - water.  originally, there were supposed to be 6 water stations for the event with a number of refills.  unfortunately, it wasn't until a day or two before the con that we found out that other arrangements had been made which negated the planned water station schedule.  somewhere in the contract for this year was a piece that stated we were to get 3 water stations with unlimitted refils (sounds good, but might not have worked as hoped).  this caused a fair amount of headache (both literal and figurative) not just for you the attendees, but the facilities staff as well.  i do want to thank 1fireforge for the beverages he brought, as well as the snacks.  though i never managed to get any myself, i saw people enjoying them and that made me happy.

as to the space issue, well...  all i can really say is wow.  i honestly didn't expect anywhere near the turnout we got for the ball.  i was only expecting to have maybe 2-300.  i've talked to a few people and they estimate the turnout at about double that over the three hour ball.  now, that being said, there really wasn't anywhere else we could have put the ball that would have had more space.  yes, we might have been able to put it in j, but with music fest in there, it really wouldn't have worked well.  additionally, the layout of j isn't conducive to a ball.  the room is either long and narrow, or short and wide (depending on where you put your stage).  ballroom b was at least square (more or less).  given the locations we had available, ballroom b was really the best option.  we will work on a larger room for next year (which i think there will be given the appearant success of this year), but right now, i can't make any promises.  if that doesn't work, we may look at limiting the number of people in the room to allow for dancing space.  we'll have to see how things go.

i like the idea of doing the lessons more than once, and that was my original idea but timing was, as always, an issue.  additionally, as you may have heard, the dance department went through a massive change about 2 weeks before the con which resulted in dj kaine(sp) taking over and putting together, imo, a great dance in only about 2 weeks.  with this being the case so close to con, there wasn't really time to schedule another session of the lessons.  i would like to try to have multiple lessons next time, but it all comes down to timing really.  

one thing that was suggested to me was enforcing a dress code for the ball.  as this was the first one, i didn't want to turn anyone away and therefor everyone was welcome regardless of what they were wearing.  i'm not opposed to eventually making a dress code for the event, but as this con (and of course this event) is by fans, for fans, i'm curious as to what you all thought on this as well.  did those of you who came either in costume or fancy dress mind those who didn't, and do you think we should require those attending the ball to be wearing either a costume or fancy dress?
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

IamTetsuo

My thoughts on the dance:
Very fun.
Overly crowded, so my dance partner and I didn't get to try out any of the spin moves we *thought* we knew how to do.
Dance lessons went way too fast.  Longer lessons, or split accross a couple of days would be helpful, as would announcing to us newbies what kind of dance goes with the song you're playing (some are easy to pick out, but others aren't so easy.)

Also if anyone got any shots of me I'd love to see them (I was wearing a big silver mask and a white dress shirt).

Dagger-6

The bigger room and water issues are definate areas to work on for next year.  There were a couple people I saw, such as 1Fireforge, that kindly spent most of their time running back and forth filling up jugs of water, and we had to have people wait outside for a minute or two when it got too crowded.

One specific thing to remember for next year is to have dedicated entrance/exits.  The way it was initially set up there was only a single doorway open.  About 5 minutes in we decided to open up another door to serve as an exit-only, but with the coat check located right next to the entrance, we still had large amounts of people trying to leave while large amounts of people were trying to enter which caused traffic jams.

Nina Star 9

I agree that we need more dance lessons. I could not make it to the lessons, and I was really terrible. -_-; Also, a bigger room is needed.

About people sitting on the side refusing dances- I was one of the people that sat on the sides (mainly the left side when facing into the room), largely because my costume was a bit too much to stand and try to dance in most of the time with that large of a crowd. I was tripped over and people tripped me multiple times. Next year, I need a less crazy thing to wear, I know. I refused about half the people I refused simply becuase I was too physically tired and too tired of having to take care of my costume and prevent it from being stepped all over. The other half of the people was because they just seemed creepy to me. If you are much older (or look much older- it's hard to tell in the dark, also) than a girl and are asking her to dance, don't be hurt when she turns you down, especially when the girl is only 17. Try to stick with people that seem at least older than a teenager, because it can be percieved as soemthing wrong by the girl, even if it is meant as a friendly gesture.

Also, if some more music is wanted, I can happily provide some, or at least give suggestions.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"If you are much older (or look much older- it's hard to tell in the dark, also) than a girl and are asking her to dance, don't be hurt when she turns you down, especially when the girl is only 17. Try to stick with people that seem at least older than a teenager, because it can be percieved as soemthing wrong by the girl, even if it is meant as a friendly gesture.
That is soooo true about the age thingy!
This is why its better to get dates before hand.  I tend to switch partners even though I'm in a relationship wit RubyIII but we agree that we can do that.  When I ask for another partner it doesn't affect me when I dont get turned down.  Plus we tend to switch partners when my date is gone to get her inhaler.  I also let her switch partner since I dont know how to dance every song that plays there and I'm horrible at it (wow two people knowing salsa are crazy combination!)

Man doesn't this ball feel like your typical Junior High and High school dance?  I had great time there and brought me back memories of my old years.  But wats up wit the glow sticks towards the end??

Nina: Nice to meet u at Fanime BB Gathering. U look great at the Masquerade.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

AngelWings

Quote from: boots01one thing that was suggested to me was enforcing a dress code for the ball.  as this was the first one, i didn't want to turn anyone away and therefor everyone was welcome regardless of what they were wearing.  i'm not opposed to eventually making a dress code for the event, but as this con (and of course this event) is by fans, for fans, i'm curious as to what you all thought on this as well.  did those of you who came either in costume or fancy dress mind those who didn't, and do you think we should require those attending the ball to be wearing either a costume or fancy dress?

Truthfully I found it odd that the dress code wasn't enforced when there was one... simply because the people that came out of code were often less careful about others costumes.

Shimu

I had fun, aside from my lack of being able to ballroom dance.

If they held a ball again, I'd probably go to learn HOW to ballroom dance before attending. xD

[Felt like an idiot.]

Dagger-6

QuoteBut wats up wit the glow sticks towards the end??

Apparently at 10pm it transistioned straight to a rave.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: felicity869Did you like it? Well I didn't get to the ball itself, but the Dance Lessons were pretty cool
Was it fun?  Pretty fun
Would you go again? Probably
What could have been done better? #1: More dance instructors. More room. Also maybe more for those of us who just seem to really suck at it like myself. DAMN YOU 123! YOU MAKE NO LOGICAL SENSE!! :cry:  :cry:

boots01

The glow sticks were provided by a sponsor of the main dance and they asked permission to pass them out toward the end of the ball.  I didn't have an issue with it as we were wrapping up anyway so i said ok.

I'm glad people liked the idea of having lessons.  I will definately try to do them again if we hold the ball again and on multiple days so more people can attend.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Lady_Hoshi

it was alot of fun.

yes, please more lessons.  Purelovely and I missed the one that was given.  

More room would be nice.  I really wanted to be spun around.

and this probably isn't the right place for this, but while we were resting in the hall outside a staff member took our picture.  Would anyone know if I can get to see it?
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

BunofGovt

Dang, sorry I missed the ball.  Hope to catch it next year.

Quote from: "boots01"...

I'm glad people liked the idea of having lessons.  I will definately try to do them again if we hold the ball again and on multiple days so more people can attend.

I think in addition to the lessons, that you could have a couple demonstrate a dance very briefly on Stage Zero, either as a segment or in between segments.  I couldn't make the lessons or the ball, but I walked past Stage Zero several times a day.  So even if you only had one or two dance lessons, at least people might have the chance to see a dance demonstrated.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

boots01

not a bad idea...  i had wanted to get over to stage zero to make announcements periodicaly, but i was just so busy that i didn't have time.  maybe next year i can work that in.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

BSaphire

Boots01: If you need me to help next year I would be glad too ^^) I will also make sure that I am more up to par. I am sorry that I couldn't come down for the dance, but I truly needed rest. Also... next year you owe me a dance *giggles... Even stargeno makes it to the Jump gathering to pose with me.. ^^) Of course you might want to teach me ahead of time so that I don't humiliate you *LOL :P

Great job on the B&W and Thanks Everyone for coming out to it! Keep the feedback up so that boots01 can make next year even better!

Take Care

Much Love

BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC