FanimeCon 2007 General Comments and Criticisms Thread.

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 28, 2007, 06:28:35 PM

RyuHayabusa

Ok, I'm making this thread just so you guys can post your opinions, comments, suggestions and criticisms thread. Here are the rules for this, cause it got kinda out of hand last year with the flames that I saw. So here are the rules:

-Flames will not be tolerated. This thread will be locked if this happens.

-Constructive Criticism of the con is accepted. If it is not constructive, say good-bye to this thread.

-Personal attacks to any member of the con that post in this thread, including Con-Staff and Con-Management WILL not be tolerated. The Mods here will report any offenders to the admins of this forum and they will deal with the appropriate response.

Cosplay pics are fine, but also, constructive criticism of cosplay can be discussed here. If this rule is broken, thread or the offenders will be dealt with.

There ya go, just follow this rules on this thread here and everything will go a-ok :D

So Post away. :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Ekac

This was my first year, along with ALL the boys staying in our room. It was great fun, ne. Although me and O Rly ninja really got on the nerves of some elevator people [>_>] we found it fun. We were able to construct random fun in the hotel, such as the 26 to 1 run [staircase run in some instances] and I think last night was a total depression night.

Edit~
I should've put more thought into this. The one of the few things I didn't like was also part of last night. The rave. This girl was nice enough to flee back to her room to get glow sticks, then part-way through of me finally doing my Crazy Frog Custom dance [<3] a battle circle started and lost all interest...

...yeah. I was basically just complaining there, but mehh...

sadistic-otaku

I was sad cause I didn't know when anime hell was showing (it wasnt on the schedule), and the info booth people didn't know either. It also seemed to me like there were less panels? And this is the first year I didn't go to music fest, since it was all scattered.

I had great fun though XD

heeroyuy135

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of the video programming schedules (especially in the anime viewing rooms) kept getting changed...I didn't notice this in the Asian Films room though...

Mei

I'm not a very experienced congoer, nor do I wander anywhere other than the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley, but I loved the sense of humor of the announcers in the DR (even though the booming voices every several minutes got kind of annoying, but it's for a good cause).

Also, I'm happy a lot of people turned in missing badges and other possessions ^^

BrightHeart76

I've learned to never expect perfection.  It's not fun if there's no element of the unexpected.  Things weren't perfect, but it was great to see how con staff worked to find solutions for the problems.  I really liked the signs about the missing programs, they were funny and the appology was a nice touch.

I was impressed that two different members of the production staff stopped my sister and I to see what we thought of fanime and asked our opinions.  That shows a really positive way of growing fanime.  :-)

The charity auction was amazing too.  (YAY for my Kakashi Bear!)

All in all it was great.  Thank you EVERYONE!!!  See y'all in 2008.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Kegan_Flame

well... i thought it went over all, very well!!!

Badges.. once again.. i Think the 'fan name' should be bigger, and the 'legal name' smaller.... i really don't like my name being out there >.>

of course.. no programs *tear* i really like having those.. i still have mine from last year.. and it's nice to be able to see what all the Asian films are.. i didn't go to any because i didn't know what they were about and the titles sounded boring.... >.>

Reg line needs to be helped.. that was soooo huge!!! I think there needs to be more people working that, and it needs to be done a but faster.

Maid Cafe needs to be open longer... but i'm bias because i work there :-P

over all, i think it went very well!!! i already miss it!

heeroyuy135

The maid cafe I think was a successful experiment...now that everyone has seen the cafe, I think many more will be on board next year, and that the cafe can expand to be bigger space, contain more maids and butlers, and have a expanded menu.

What should be done about the programs is that the Fanime crew should mail those to each person who registered. I know it would be more work, but it would balance out the fact that there were no programs this year.

LordKefka

Quote from: "Kegan_Flame"

Reg line needs to be helped.. that was soooo huge!!! I think there needs to be more people working that, and it needs to be done a but faster.

With cash in on-site registeration, the process is very fast and takes less than one minute to do a person. But the problem with the speed are people who use credit cards and debit cards which do tend to slow things down because it is a longer process which requires a few extra steps.

The wait was about 3 hours average for each person on Saturday. I still hope everyone had fun despite the long wait
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Sen

The dealer's room this year did not seem to have enough of a variety in merchandise. I would have liked to see more movie DVDs and music CDs and music related merchandise...but that's just me. I loved that one dealer with all of the miniature model boxes. I bought a full set of the bakery model. =X
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Ekac

Quote from: "HeeroYuy135"I think many more will be on board next year, and that the cafe can expand to be bigger space, contain more maids and butlers, and have a expanded menu.

As long as the maid who gave me the fork works next year. I'll be a customer for life <3

Barnes

Lemme try and nutshell this:
-No Marvel vs Capcom 2. What happened?
-ZZ show=WOAH!
-Yuri night=XD
-Forum panel=LOL
-Dang I spent alot of money on food. Oh well.
-Pre-reg line on Thursday=Why were we asked to move?
-SSB Melee=Crowded. But the panel was good. I couldn't make it to FanficGuru's tourney though.
-I wish I took more cosplay pics.
-Damn you Disney for not putting Pirates 3 in theaters IN JULY! *Cusses at Disney*

Overall score for FanimeCon 2007= Damn solid! I'm coming back for sure.
8)
And I bought my 2008 badge already.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

The Fanimaid cafe was very thoughtful.  It gives various people in the con the the anime experience.

The dealer's room had some rare and up-to-date goods.  Some of them were overpriced for a con.

IMO there should have been more staff members on the registration lines.  Though I got my badge early, I don't think people should be waiting in line for this long.

The Yuri section of the con on Friday didn't please me.  After watching the first few minutes of it, I realize that there was a lack of Yuri or none at all.  There was also various technical difficulties to where 1/2 of the scenes were cut off.  After Kashimashi ended, we got flat-out hentai in which already exists in another panel.  Various people have left.  I can see the Yuri section being improved for next year.

More posts later.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

Kanchii

I thought the artists room and dealers room was fun, everyone was really nice and funny. I wish I took a picture of the person I gave my commission to on saturday because I swear I couldnt find her on Sunday, I was wondering around like a retard for a while.

The DJ was amazing. I <3 DJ Caen. Great music. A little crowded, maybe a bigger room next year, but w/e.

I was pissed that all the bottles of water were $3. I had to go into the hotel shop to find one that was cheaper.

Ekac

Quote from: "Kanchii"I thought the artists room and dealers room was fun, everyone was really nice and funny. I wish I took a picture of the person I gave my commission to on saturday because I swear I couldnt find her on Sunday, I was wondering around like a retard for a while.

The DJ was amazing. I <3 DJ Caen. Great music. A little crowded, maybe a bigger room next year, but w/e.

I was pissed that all the bottles of water were $3. I had to go into the hotel shop to find one that was cheaper.

There's free half-pints in the fitness room on the third floor by the pool in the Marriot. I suggest you excersize a bit though so you just don't jack the water. :P

LordKefka

Quote from: "Barnes"Lemme try and nutshell this:
-No Marvel vs Capcom 2. What happened?
-ZZ show=WOAH!
-Yuri night=XD
-Forum panel=LOL
-Dang I spent alot of money on food. Oh well.
-Pre-reg line on Thursday=Why were we asked to move?
-SSB Melee=Crowded. But the panel was good. I couldn't make it to FanficGuru's tourney though.
-I wish I took more cosplay pics.
-Damn you Disney for not putting Pirates 3 in theaters IN JULY! *Cusses at Disney*

Overall score for FanimeCon 2007= Damn solid! I'm coming back for sure.
8)
And I bought my 2008 badge already.

Some guy stood next to the machine tech guy and asked what games they were having. The tech guy said MvC2 etc etc  and that guy said no one plays MvC2 so Melty Blood would have been a better replacement. The tech guy took MvC2 out and there goes the party..
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

otakuya

What I could change/improve:
-swap meet every day and no "registration"/signup stuff
-Fanimaid at the outdoor patio next to the existing site
-more variety in the dealers room
-room between machines at the e-gaming

Silver_Unicorn297

Quote from: "HeeroYuy135"The maid cafe I think was a successful experiment...now that everyone has seen the cafe, I think many more will be on board next year, and that the cafe can expand to be bigger space, contain more maids and butlers, and have a expanded menu.

I would love to see an expanded menu on the Fanimaid Cafe! Especially food that you can eat easily with a fork or spoon. -nod nod-
Soup and salad would be a wonderful addition, and I don't recall seeing them. I also am not sure if they will work with the whole theme of the cafe but... maybe?
The thing I liked most about the fanime cafe, however, was that it stayed open a bit longer than the other refreshment stands (mainly in the dealer's hall), which happened to close just when you got very hungry.

I also liked how in the gaming room and some of the smaller hallways, there were water dispensers and cups for the water. It would be nice to have something like that in the main hallway, because not everyone's costume or wig permits them to get a drink from the water fountain (or perhaps they just don't want to mess up their costume or make-up).
It's not a "must" of course, but it would be a nice little treat. ^_^

The air conditioning was improved this year, but it would be wonderful if it could be kept going all through con. I don't know if this is controlable or not, but you have my many thank yous for having it run for as long as possible.

serajwl

I definitely enjoyed it this year.

-Panels were amazing
-I LOVED how the arcade and tabletop gaming got put together
-I liked how all the video rooms were put on one side of the con
-I did not like how the dealers were selling magic: the gathering cards for unbeliveably high prices (that was probably the only thing that I ever got mad at) But this doesnt really count I don't think
-However, I was disappointed with the lack of good comedy AMVs in the AMV contest. Ouran High School with underlying yaoi plots in an AMV =! comedy.

Yep!

Barnes

Quote from: "LordKefka"Some guy stood next to the machine tech guy and asked what games they were having. The tech guy said MvC2 etc etc  and that guy said no one plays MvC2 so Melty Blood would have been a better replacement. The tech guy took MvC2 out and there goes the party..

"No one plays Marvel"?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
ME ANGRY!
:evil:
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes