FanimeCon 2007 General Comments and Criticisms Thread.

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 28, 2007, 06:28:35 PM

G.I.R

I can't really complain about the hotel prices.  $79.00 a night at the Hilton was pretty nice  (and I plan to stay there again next year)..
Try looking at prices at Comic Con International...  
http://www.tphousing.com/res/startres.asp?EICode=1470&AttCode=72
And most of the rooms sold out within the first two hours!
Even the two motel 6's in downtown San Diego are $99.00 a night! (and they ain't that close to the convention center either!).

Jelly Soup

Thinking about the area it's in, $99 a night isn't as bad as it could be. I've seen cheap motels in Castro Valley for upwards of $400 a night.

Edit: When I say 'cheap motels', I am referring to motels that are supposed to be cheap, such as Hotel 6.

Moogleborg

Originally at the Mariott, my room would've been $109.00 per night, but since I had my two bros stay with me this year, they reduced it down to $89 per night (from Thursday to Monday) and I paid a bit over $200 for the whole weekend! ^^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.
Powered by Pokeshipping.
Enhanced by caffene.

Nina Star 9

I thought of something else, not sure if I said it, and have not been able to post it until now due to login issues and the such.

But now I return. XD

I was not sure which room the Masquerade check-in was in or what time it started (this was before there were large signs in the hall, they put those out right as I was leaving after finally finding the place), so I asked at an infodesk. The guy there did not know, so he radioed, and told me a room, so I thanked him, and tried to find it on a map, but could not. Then I asked some other people at an info desk, and the two girls told me two diffrent things, which were different from the original response I received and from anything on the map. I found it (they all had the right letter, but I got Confrence Room C, Ballroom C, and any other word you could think of for it), but it was a bit of a pain. Is there any way to instruct staff to all use the same system of reffering to rooms, and keep it the same as the maps posted throughout the CC? It would really make it much easier to navigate. (And I'm not new to Fanimes at this CC, my first one was at the Westin and I have been going ever since, so I can imagine if someone was new to the con and got such confusing responses.)

Thanks.

Lolita_Technica

Thank you Fanimecon staff and volunteers for once again, another great year! I have not attended this con since 2003 due to many events happening that same weekend. I'm glad I could come back and participate, meet new people, and, of course, share the anime spirit together. (Hey, weird Cliches can be tolerated. o_o)

Awesome Dealers Room, of course. Gaia Online's booth was quite fun, and so was Yaoi-Con's booth. Bwaha. Artist Alley was fun too. That was my first time being in there, and quite frankly, I was amazed at how many people were offering commisions. -drool- AND OF COURSE, REUBEN LANGDON. Hehe.

A few things were a little questionable, and my first problem has probably been repeated millions of times: The Line. Yes, the big Domo Congestion Line was soooo huge, I thought I was really going to be there for almost 4 hours, but, we were fortunate and we moved a little quicker, making it a 2 1/2 wait with me and my Loli sister. Fanime has become such a huge event, so I can see why the lines would have been LENGTHY, but still...it was a shocker. I was a little sad that no Programs were out. Fanime I guess is trying to go green.

Other than that, I want to give you my sincere gratitude in making my Fanime Experience enjoyable and fun and a day/weekend I wish never ended. I hope to go next year in 2008~!

koella

I'm just wondering

I remember the first time I went to Fanime was the last time it was at the Santa Clara convention center and they had really cool anime goody bags to give us that were big and sturdy.  How come we don't get those anymore?  Is it due to lack of donation and budget?

Tony

Quote from: "koella"I'm just wondering

I remember the first time I went to Fanime was the last time it was at the Santa Clara convention center and they had really cool anime goody bags to give us that were big and sturdy.  How come we don't get those anymore?  Is it due to lack of donation and budget?
It's been discussed. Basically the story was that our printers broke, so we didn't have much to give out. On top of that, the bags we got were few and very small, so they probably ran out/weren't useful anyway.

It's certainly not for lack of trying! I overheard a lot of conversation over the goodie bags... things just kind of fell apart, I guess.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Jelly Soup

I hate to resurrect an old topic like this, but something just dawned me (and a few friends) a little bit ago.

Along with many rules being cracked down on, will what is and isn't acceptable attire (not just cosplay) be better defined this year? We all saw the guy in the blue thong, which was addressed early in the thread, but what about the other less obvious, but just as offensive people?

There was this one guy who was wearing essentially see through clothing, with the words 'Fuck Me' scribbled over his chest and back. I saw him at various points throughout the weekend harassing male con-goers.

I'm probably a little late in the game to be bringing this up, but I thought it bared stating.

astroboy

Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 15, 2008, 08:20:04 PM
Along with many rules being cracked down on, will what is and isn't acceptable attire (not just cosplay) be better defined this year? We all saw the guy in the blue thong, which was addressed early in the thread, but what about the other less obvious, but just as offensive people?
Thanks to the internet or perhaps no thanks at ALL!
We live in a world where every action we take in our lives has the potential to be digitally recorded.
Think about that for a moment.

1) bad - having regrets of past actions in life
2) very bad - having regrets of past actions that have been digitally recorded
3) super duper bad - having regrets of past actions that have been digitally recorded and are now freely distributable to the entire planet!
*smacks forehead*

I hope that answers the question.  ;D

Jelly Soup

Quote from: astroboy on May 16, 2008, 01:21:47 AMI hope that answers the question.  ;D

I don't even know what the hell you're on about. How does this answer my question in the slightest?

PyronIkari

Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 16, 2008, 02:44:50 PM
Quote from: astroboy on May 16, 2008, 01:21:47 AMI hope that answers the question.  ;D

I don't even know what the hell you're on about. How does this answer my question in the slightest?

It didn't. Anyways. From what I heard, it's basic rules of decency. Here's the issue with that though. If people don't complain, then the con usually won't take any action, as horrible as that is. This was a huge subject concerning AX and other cons where people complained and got Man-Faye and similar people banned, but girls were strutting around in even less and no one complained(LOLOLOL BECAUSE THEY'RE GIRLS!!!!). So basically if you see something that you think is indecent, just let a staff member know. If it does break decency laws, ten they'll do something about it. If it doesn't, they can't really say/do anything(or rather shouldn't) because they're not doing anything wrong.

Jelly Soup

Thanks.

And let me add, outside of decency laws, I'm sure the convention center and attached hotels have code of conduct rules themselves, so that might be another channel to consider.