FanimeCon 2007 General Comments and Criticisms Thread.

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 28, 2007, 06:28:35 PM

darkstar

Across the board of cons, there may need to be a decision on AMV contests across the board.

What, there were four comedy AMV's this year, I overheard?  (And all four got placed, as the one which didn't get top 3 in judges won the audience contest for comedy??)

Basically, with Azumanga Daioh SOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2003, there are no good comedy AMV's anymore.  Either get the makers to start making some good ones, or get rid of the comedy category and lump it in with another one.

alkaline

Quote from: "felicity869"
Quote from: "PyronIkari"I'm not banned anymore \o/(No reason to explain that)
Well I can see why you were banned. Sure people should ask for hugs instead of just taking them but do you really feel that it's necessary to push someone down to the floor because they wanted to hug you? Perhaps next time you could just tell them it's unwanted instead of being violent?

So when someone forces themselves on me, I'd be the bad guy when I force them OFF of me, all because they wanted a "Hug?" Yeah, that doesn't fly. There are some serious freak shows around cons and I had to practically elbow one in the throat until he got the message to get his hands off me.

How about next time they attempt to tackle me I just take them to con ops,  call the cops, press assault charges and ruin it for everyone? Because that's all it would take and trust me, I'd be very happy to do it.

Raydere

Or you could just wear a "Don't hug/glomp" sign.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

miss shelby

Quote from: "G.S. LXVIII"Or you could just wear a "Don't hug/glomp" sign.

How is that a solution?  People should have the decency to not assalt strangers.  And we have the right to fight back when someone does.  

I have an injury and I had to fight off at least 5 people to keep them from injuring me further.  Not to mention the kids who tried to take our props without asking.

This really shouldn't be a problem.  And if is happens again, I will do what alkaline suggested and call the police on them.  If someone did that on the street, it would be attempted robbery and assult.  Why should it be any different just because you're at an anime convention?

darkstar

Given the amount of people wanting hugs, you could probably have those huggers prone to assault figure everyone is fair game.

Read: The rules they normally have to go by do not apply.

LordKefka

I don't think wearing a sign is the solution either. But when someone does try and glomp you, make sure to give a serious reaction like you really don't need someone tackling you to the ground. You need to draw the line for them mentally rather than physically, unless they just all of a sudden tackle you from the back and crack your spine.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

alkaline

Quote from: "darkstar"Given the amount of people wanting hugs, you could probably have those huggers prone to assault figure everyone is fair game.

Read: The rules they normally have to go by do not apply.

Last time I checked, Fanime wasn't Lord of the fucking Flies and it still took place in California.

Seeing as how the San Jose PD love to patrol just outside the convention center, I'm sure they'd agree with me. Maybe we'll find out next year. Until then, stop trying to justify assaulting someone by saying it's a "hug." That's like me stabbing someone and saying "I only poked them!"

felicity869

Quote from: "alkaline"So when someone forces themselves on me, I'd be the bad guy when I force them OFF of me, all because they wanted a "Hug?" Yeah, that doesn't fly. There are some serious freak shows around cons and I had to practically elbow one in the throat until he got the message to get his hands off me.
If someone is hurting you, destroying you costume, or not backing off when you tell them to then that's completely different than what I was refering to. The way it sounded PyronIkari was only hugged and responded by trying to kick someone's ass.

Quote from: "alkaline"
How about next time they attempt to tackle me I just take them to con ops,  call the cops, press assault charges and ruin it for everyone? Because that's all it would take and trust me, I'd be very happy to do it.
Umm, yes. If someone is doing something that is making you feel uncomfortable/unsafe then they deserve to be reported and have their fun ruined. I think that is a much better solution that hitting someone.

Quote from: "G.S. LXVIII"Or you could just wear a "Don't hug/glomp" sign.
The entire convention worth of people shouldn't have to go aroudn wearing signs. People should asume that no one wants a stranger hugging them unless they ask for it. I really do believe the glompers/huggers get out of control and need to realize their are boundries that they should not be crossing.

Jelly Soup

I don't see how the "no sleeping in the convention center" rule was anywhere near enforced. People took shifts in there naps. IE: Five people sit down to talk/play/whatever, three take a nap while the other two talk, switch later.

Actually, there were a number of people sleeping all by themselves, me included (I was playing Pokemon and nodded off for a bit).

After seeing this, I tested a few other rules to see what would happen:

-"Something-High School, no standing" I stood, I watched, Staffer saw me and didn't do anything.
-That Redeath thing, funny as hell, I was watching it from the hallway. Staffer started bitching. Now, I can follow the rules, but don't think for a moment your little no-name punk ass is going to start barking orders at me. MOVE OUT, IT'S ALMOST OVER YOU CAN WATCH IT NEXT YEAR MOVE NOW. Yeah, go to hell.

We need Staffers that will do their jobs without being dicks.

Karisma Black

Quote from: "PyronIkari"I'm not banned anymore \o/(No reason to explain that)

I had a talk with quite a few people about the fanimaid cafe, and almost everything(ALMOST) I heard was negative. I also had a fun run in with Jerry in which he was quite rude to me.

The general things i heard was "I didn't get the point of it? I walked in and I was served food by a girl. And that was about it".
"I always thought there was more to Maid cafes than costumes" and the such.

It was quite funny, because I walked over there to check it out with my friend, and I saw Jun working who I wanted to say hi to and before anything happened Jerry walked up to me and quite rudely said "Is there anything I can help you with?" and I replied back with "Uh, yeah this is the maid cafe right?" and he instantly said "WELL AS YOU CAN SEE THERE IS A LINE OVER THERE". At this point I was considering my options. I could very easily had made a large scene but decided not to, due to the fact that a few of the maids were quite nice to me online and I didn't want to ruin things for them.

So I played it off "Oh sorry, I thought that was the line for the ATM" and then he replies back with... "OH well, is this for take out or dine in?" "Excuse me? Oh, I guess dine in, but it's fine, nevermind". "Yeah. LIKE I SAID there's a line over there, so go get in line".

So I just walked off.

First off, all of the press that I personally talked to had nothing but positive things to say about the cafe. While yes, the line was long at the very beginning, I think its understandable considering that was the first year we've done things and really had to figure things out from scratch as far as how things were going to work.

As far as the whole "more to it" part of the maid cafe, after we got the kinks worked out as far as the actual serving and cleaning up and seating people, we were able to free up more time/maids for socializing more and hanging out with them. I feel bad for people who were unfortunately not able to get the same service as happened towards the end of the con as the beginning, but again, first year and we were figuring things out as fast as we could.

Next year looks to be more promising in ALL aspects. We'll have a bigger room, more maids, as well as we can now start working out kinks of maids socializing and playing games, doing drawings with the patrons, ect. I plan on taking on a bigger part of helping with next year as I feel like I have a good finger on the pulse of how we should change and improve for the future.

On another note, we do accept constructive feedback. However, everything you've said in general about the maid cafe has been nothing but negative. Perhaps if you had not been so argumentative and negative in the past, people wouldn't have been so willing to write you off. If you are genuinely interested in helping improve for next year, key term being HELPING, I'm sure you could take it privately to someone who is willing to take your advice given that it is constructive.

Glitch

Quote from: "asianfilm"
Quote from: "mDuo13"The Unknowns
-Asian Cinema. Without a program guide, I didn't have anything to go on when choosing movies to watch, so I ended up not actually walking into the viewing rooms except during one movie while I was practically falling asleep on Monday at 6am. So I didn't really get a taste of what was there, sadly.

I realize how much having a program guide could have helped our traffic, but did the summaries in front of the rooms help at all? We do try to have full summaries for the films in front of the rooms, so I am just trying to gauge how much they make a difference.

Thanks!
Those summaries are lifesavers btw. I was able to peak at stuff that I would have missed.(I did miss some stuff, but at least I know the names of interesting flicks to hunt down.)

lyricaldanichan

Actually I was surprised that the signs came back because there was a BAN on people holding/wearing it. It is great that people give out hugs freely if wanted, but there was a lot of people who DO NOT WANT.

What pissed me off was people leaving messes in the CC. There was several parts of the con that garbage was left on the floor. Come on people, please don't shit up the con by leaving garbage all over the place :(.

darkknightcecil

STAGE ZERO ROCKED
WENDELL RULES!! and THE OTHER TWO HOSTS!!
yeah

E-gaming WAs bettar this year

eveyrthing was better +D

but i was staff so i did not get to see all the animes. or events.

Jelly Soup

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Actually I was surprised that the signs came back because there was a BAN on people holding/wearing it. It is great that people give out hugs freely if wanted, but there was a lot of people who DO NOT WANT.

What pissed me off was people leaving messes in the CC. There was several parts of the con that garbage was left on the floor. Come on people, please don't shit up the con by leaving garbage all over the place :(.

Agreed. The pre-reg line on Thursday had crap EVERYWHERE. That's just not cool. If you make a mess, clean it the hell up. I had a janitor thank me for throwing my soda bottle in the trash instead of just dropping it any old place.

phoenixphire24

Thanks to all the staff and volunteers!

Anime (overall): I was impressed with the selection of titles and I am happy that the screens were at a higher level this year so that the sub-titles could be easily read. Most of the problems have been addressed (corrupted files, people not knowing how to use the computers). Thanks to the people in the video department for getting the schedule out so early. That helped a lot.

Dealers Room: It seemed like there wasn't a lot to buy this year. I did get a good deal on some manga, but all the DVDs I wanted were much cheaper to buy online. I noticed a lack of wall scrolls and pins, but I suppose this is also because one can find these things online for cheaper. I don't care about lolita clothing or cat ears, so I ignored those booths, but there seemed to be a lot of them!

Artists Alley: AMAZING! I spent most of my money here since I couldn't find cute pins/pictures in the dealer's room. Thanks to all the artists who turned up.

Fanime (general): I would have liked to get a program, but guess there's nothing to be done about that at this point. My only other complaint is that for the third year in a row that I've gone, and after requesting it for the last 2 years, there are STILL NO FANIME SHIRTS IN GIRL CUT!!! I have really wanted a Fanime shirt, but I do not want one that is boy cut because even in small or child size, they do not fit a female body correctly. Would it hurt to make up a few girl cut shirts? Some of the booths in the dealer's room have finally caught onto this and I was able to find many cute anime shirts in girl cut which made me very happy.

Anyway, overall i had a great time (especially at Yaoi bingo) and I can't wait for next year.

:D

Edit- I forgot to mention that the FMVs were not great. I see this has been mentioned by a few people, so I'll leave it at that.

Nina Star 9

Another plus I just thought of- I loved having lists of the gatherings at each infobooth. It made it very easy for me so I did not have to remember all the various times and places I had to be. It was very helpful. :D

GokuMew2

The con was fun, but not exactly because of the con. Besides events such as the masquerade and places like the dealers room and artist alley (where I spent most of my time helping out friends with their table), I didn't do or go any place con-related.

I was disappointed that there was no printed version of the program guide. I know there was a printing problem, but that's kind of why you would want to finish things early so that you have extra time in case things like this happen? Basically the bags this year didn't have anything of interest in it.

This isn't something I experienced myself, but a friend of mine who registered at-con was saying that it took 3 hours. I always pre-reg so I've got no problems, but I would think that everyone would like that at-con reg line to go a bit faster.

The programming schedule wasn't too great. I didn't see any panels listed for Sanada Asami. Either there weren't any listed or I'm just blind, but I didn't see her autograph session listed either. The only reason I knew when it was was because I was helping out in artist alley when the announcement was made.

While I love Fanime and won't stop attending, I think the con could use some work on getting things organized and having everything ready on time. This year felt more like paying $40 just to hang out with friends....
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "Barnes"Question, is Fluffy ok?

Actually, Fluffy died a total of 4 times during the con. I was onsite Tuesday of con in hopes of printing all of the schedules in advance so no one would have to do without it. Alas, Fluffy decided to be mean and not work half the time.

I'm sorry to all of those people who did not receive the program guides thus did not receive any of the pretty maps, panel/video descriptions, band info, etc.

The printers delivered some of the program guides to the wrong address and they're still printing out the bulk of our order. We're working on mailing them out to the members who are interested in receiving them.

My staff tried their hardest to get into high gear and print out copied maps, panel/guest info and policies that we needed to get out. Sorry about the wait for everything, but we didn't expect the program guides to just not come.

Sigh. At least you guys can see the program guide online. It's very beautiful...
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "GokuMew2"  I was disappointed that there was no printed version of the program guide. I know there was a printing problem, but that's kind of why you would want to finish things early so that you have extra time in case things like this happen? Basically the bags this year didn't have anything of interest in it.

Oh we finished the program guide a month in advance. The printers were scheduled to deliver the program guides on Wednesday and they just didn't come. The printers had always been on time, if not early so we had no reason to believe they would do otherwise. This just happened to be a very bad year by having their printers break down as well as ours.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

phoenixphire24

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"
Quote from: "Barnes"Question, is Fluffy ok?

Actually, Fluffy died a total of 4 times during the con. I was onsite Tuesday of con in hopes of printing all of the schedules in advance so no one would have to do without it. Alas, Fluffy decided to be mean and not work half the time.

I'm sorry to all of those people who did not receive the program guides thus did not receive any of the pretty maps, panel/video descriptions, band info, etc.

The printers delivered some of the program guides to the wrong address and they're still printing out the bulk of our order. We're working on mailing them out to the members who are interested in receiving them.

My staff tried their hardest to get into high gear and print out copied maps, panel/guest info and policies that we needed to get out. Sorry about the wait for everything, but we didn't expect the program guides to just not come.

Sigh. At least you guys can see the program guide online. It's very beautiful...

Yeah! I'd LOVE a program!