Registration feedback for 2007

Started by FanFicGuru, May 29, 2007, 12:13:40 PM

FanFicGuru

Maybe this is being covered in the general response thread, but just in case, here's a thread for feedback about the registration system.

Firstly, let me just say that we all know that the lines are huge. The 3 to 3 and a half hour wait on Saturday was crazy, but when you're dealing with thousands of attendees to any event, that kind of wait should be expected. That just means that more people will pre-register for next year and there will be a longer line on Thursdays. lol

Group Registration needs to be better organized. I went to pick up the badges for my group (it had less than 10 people, but we were still a 'group') and the registration staffer said I needed the receipt since their system only showed my name. It would be unfair of me not to mention that there was a friendly staff member there that allowed me to go to the Marriott to print out my receipt and come back without waiting in line, and for that I was very thankful. However, I think that ANY group's badges should be able to be picked up by the group leader no matter how big or how small they are. Also, maybe lower the group number before offering incentives. Instead of 10 or more, why not 5 or more?

Also, I think that Fanime should start offering pre and early registrations for single day-passes. I think that this will help increase the revenue ahead of time as more and more people will pre-register for Saturday only or Sunday only.

Also, one last thing although it's not that major in my opinion: Our real names are still bigger and more noticeable than our Fan-names. I would prefer it if it were the other way around and I'm sure that others feel the same way. Oh, and more variety on the badge pictures. ^_^

Finally I just wanted to thank the registration staff for all their hard work in 2007. Problems and other stuff aside, it was a great con. Good luck for next year too!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Chun

I personally think that simply Fanime is getting bigger every year, so there needs to be more than one line to fill in each group. Splitting it into two lines and having more pick up counters than 8 would have been great.

Also, if there were an "express group" line for the larger groups, it would have probably been more helpful.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

thebrain2u

Pre-reg pickup was longer than I expected on Thursday. A friend and I waited for 1.5 hours. And it only took them 2 minutes to get us our badges. Kinda made me think I should have just gone early on Friday like I did the last couple of years, since I got in and got my badge in like, less than 20-30 minutes.

Barnes

On Thursday, there should be a sign that says "pre-reg line starts here!" in spot, and not "force" people to move away when they line up behind it. And have the sign be put up early in the morning. :P

PS:Where will the Pre-Reg line be next year for Thurs?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

M

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"
I apologize for the lines. Just because more people are coming to FanimeCon, doesn't mean that the lines have to get bigger. We (the Registration staff as well as other related departments) continually look to improve traffic flow and shorten the registration process without lessening the positive experience for both sides.

Group Registration was a 100% experiment this year and we are changing it based on feedback that we have received from members (like yourselves) and from the Registration staff. Overall, I want Group Pre-Registration to be as efficient as possible without hurting the regular Pre-Registration and At-Con Registration lines.

We are also looking into offering At-Con registration for single day passes online. This process would be just like Early Registration (where the members would only get paper badges) but this would help reduce the amount of data entry that the Registration staff would have to do.

The group number of 10 and more was selected as groups of 10 or more were the only ones receiving any kind of incentive in the past.

Badges are required to have some kind of information that will allow our staffers to see a badge and have some kind of information so that we can look up your information in an event of an emergency. This is the numbered code on each badge as well as the name on it. Unfortunately, this means that the Real Name has to be bigger than the Fan Name on the badge.

--

Quote from: "Chun"
We had 5 booths on each side with two "registers" on each side. That's a total of 10 stations for each side (one booth on the pre-registration side was converted to an AT-CON for Saturday-Monday). Having two lines causes confusion and makes it easier for people to cut in line... We are looking into various scenarios that could help speed up our lines.

Groups of 10 or more were supposed to have their own line, but that fell through last minute due to some technical difficulties.

--

Quote from: "thebrain2u"
We are looking into speeding up the lines. This year, Registration was completely blindsided by the sheer number of members that came to pick up their badges. We were expecting an increase due to the ZZ concert, but it was more than what we expected.

--

Quote from: "Barnes"
The pre-registration line was moved because the line built to a size that was blocking doors and filling up spaces with more people than that area could accommodate. FanimeCon Rovers had to move the line to ensure that the area around Registration was still accessible encase of an emergency and other reasons.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

pockystix

I wonder if there's a way to have bar codes on the badges? The barcode on a badge would match the bar code on the registration receipt print-out, so you just need to scan the two to confirm (as well as a quick ID name & DOB check). I'm not sure if this would expedite the process, but it might help with real names being too small on the badges or other reading problems.

Then again, you'll need the equipment for this sort of thing, huh...

On the flip side, I've always remembered that my badge pick-up line waiting was pretty minimal on my part; I think I've only went Friday afternoons for all my past badge pick-ups. I guess it's up to the attendees to predict traffic flow conditions according to the time. :P
New sn = Meirin

Kegan_Flame

I understand the logistics behind it.. but i still very much dislike having my name hugley printed on my badge... i don't even go by my legal name and i have random people coming up to me and saying "hey ____!" I felt like i was being stalked >.> Even when i put my badge down on my hip or somewhere a little less noticeable..

Chewie

Quote from: pockystix on January 29, 2008, 12:53:36 AM
I wonder if there's a way to have bar codes on the badges? The barcode on a badge would match the bar code on the registration receipt print-out, so you just need to scan the two to confirm (as well as a quick ID name & DOB check). I'm not sure if this would expedite the process, but it might help with real names being too small on the badges or other reading problems.

On the flip side, I've always remembered that my badge pick-up line waiting was pretty minimal on my part; I think I've only went Friday afternoons for all my past badge pick-ups. I guess it's up to the attendees to predict traffic flow conditions according to the time. :P

Actually that barcode thing is a really good idea and there is no extra equipment needed (as far as printing goes) since any good printer can print out a working barcode.

Scanners are relatively inexpensive too.

Sen

Quote from: Chewie on January 30, 2008, 03:50:41 AM
Quote from: pockystix on January 29, 2008, 12:53:36 AM

Actually that barcode thing is a really good idea and there is no extra equipment needed (as far as printing goes) since any good printer can print out a working barcode.

Scanners are relatively inexpensive too.

We've actually considered this type of concept on a number of occasions. Alas, even though the scanners are cheap there is still the software and the IT support behind it. That brought up the cost and the time. Although, I certainly would not rule out such technology in the future.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07