Guests I want for FanimeCon 2008!!!

Started by FanFicGuru, May 29, 2007, 12:48:47 PM

Tony

Quote from: "Chun"...because it's nearby?
According to the numbers, yep! That's part of it.

QuoteThe only question in response being, why such a large limitation? For namesake roots?
Yeah, that's part of it. It's just kind of a tradition. I mean, we're happy to take money  :D so long as doesn't really change what we want to do.

QuoteSo long as this keeps growing then eventually won't it hit "AX status" with such corperate backup?
Do you mean "without such corporate backup"? I'm confused here...

QuoteThe last thing I (As a 3 year goer) would want fanime to do is repeat the same level of laid-back-ness it has to it say 10 years from now. It has so much potential to be another "Otakon", or top tier in recognition.
I find this really interesting. And I agree to an extent, on the FanimeCon side. (I think it's important that the staff take the job seriously, and aren't haphazard/last-minute in handling it.)

Do you mean it for the attendee side, too? Because I would be really interested in why you would not want the convention to at least feel laid-back.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Ska_Kitti

I should drop a line a say that Jonathan Osborne's best con friend is Scott McNeil. ^__^
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

bahamutknightzero

I'm going to voice what one of my friends has said

Please bring in Vic Mignogna or any other notible US dub VAs.

Spiritsnare

If Momoi Halko loves her fans, but dissed AX, would that mean she might be possible for Fanime? *w*
epic progressive

vox

alkaline

So, now that the disaster that was AX'07 is out of the way, my girlfriend has made a very good point: once word from their Japanese guests makes the rounds over on that side of the ocean, how many folks do you think will be willing to come to an American convention? Fanime has a good reputation, but I think it's something to consider when it comes to non-repeat guests.

So, for music I got to thinking.. why not try and tap the Nerdcore acts? Anime will always be the focus, but we could definitely afford to have more gaming-related acts, right? A few suggestions..

Cinemechanica - Also known as Contra/Mega/Ninja Gaiden Band, these guys recreate entire NES games, complete with rock band and speed runs. They're AMAZING live and have been trying to get on the Penny-Arcade Expo bill to no avail. These guys would blow folks away and be a huge draw.
Example: Video
Site: http://www.cinemechanica.com/

Optimus Rhyme - Brilliant hip-hop without samples, these guys are the best on the scene. Real down to earth guys too. They'd definitely be something different. It also doesn't hurt that "School the Indie Rockers" was one of my favorite albums last year :X
Site: http://www.optimusrhyme.com/

The Minibosses - I don't think I have to explain these guys. Minibosses are simply the best gaming tribute band around. I saw them in SF late last year and they were amazing.
Site: http://minibosses.com/

If anyone staffers say "Hey, this is actually a good idea!" let me know. I can use some of my connections to try and make this stuff possible.

Tony

Quote from: "alkaline"So, now that the disaster that was AX'07 is out of the way, my girlfriend has made a very good point: once word from their Japanese guests makes the rounds over on that side of the ocean, how many folks do you think will be willing to come to an American convention? Fanime has a good reputation, but I think it's something to consider when it comes to non-repeat guests.
Good question... from some of the logistical, cultural, and technical nightmares I've heard of, I'm surprised acts come at all. I think Japanese bands are still a little enamored with the U.S., and knowing that thousands of people will be at the same event is attractive. Mostly, though, I've noticed that they 1) are setting their expectations lower and 2) demanding more professional treatment.

QuoteSo, for music I got to thinking.. why not try and tap the Nerdcore acts? Anime will always be the focus, but we could definitely afford to have more gaming-related acts, right? A few suggestions..
Personally, I like that kind of stuff a lot! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can't make arrangements... though, honestly, I'm trying to get out of the multi-day, multi-act thing-it's bad for my health. :D
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Tony

... holy crap. I just started reading about AX, and I'm physically pained. And a little worried.

Well, all I can do is make sure my part is done as cleanly and professionally as possible.
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Tony"... holy crap. I just started reading about AX, and I'm physically pained. And a little worried.

Well, all I can do is make sure my part is done as cleanly and professionally as possible.

Yeah. Play your cards right and Fanime might be able to net all the disgruntled guests who were mistreated at AX.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"
Quote from: "Tony"... holy crap. I just started reading about AX, and I'm physically pained. And a little worried.

Yeah. Play your cards right and Fanime might be able to net all the disgruntled guests who were mistreated at AX.

I'd rather not book all the disappointed guests from AX. Instead, I'd prefer to carry on as we usually do, and if one of the previous AX GoH happens to accept our invitation, that would be nice. Remember that we're our own con and we're not trying to copy AX. We especially don't want to shamelessly take advantage of AX's....misstep.

Let's continue to build our own reputation and offer our condolences to AX for having some things go wrong. We're not in a competition, afterall. We're different cons and we really should be supporting each other.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

GokuMew2

With every episode of DARKER THAN BLACK, I find myself falling more and more in love with Kiuchi and his voice. It's so sexy~ (Why he has no BL releases yet is a mystery to me. *cough*)

So! Another suggestion from me is seiyuu Kiuchi Hidenobu! He was at SugoiCon 2006 and I had no idea. Never even heard of SugoiCon. In any case, awesome seiyuu and he likes to travel. *winkwink*

His official site is here.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

asuka245

well i personally AX needs treat there Guest alot better! If they really want there Guest to come back.

I have never seen a guest ever return to AX by AX asking them to come but they come at there own will then leave and go for the fans not for the con inself...

well believe we kinda have a chance to get some of AX guest but for SKIN comeing to Fanime that would be nice. i guess i u can really do is invites and see what happens.

well be nice to get Glay there to or dir en Grey or Yoshiki of X or Hyde...

well this would be great to have back again... the three founder's of Gainax and a Gainax Booth in  the dealers room like the old days!

here is a high priced guest .have the creator of Ranma 1/2 at fanime.
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

BunofGovt

illustrators/mangaka:

Sanami Matoh (she had been on the program for 2006 but was removed before the convention, I never heard why - she was one of the main reasons I came)

Yukine Honame - love her artwork, mostly yaoi manga but gorgeous!

Peter Tarkulich (www.bardsworth.com), webcomic artist.  Or other webcomic creators.  He had a table in artist's alley but if we had one or two do a panel on starting a webcomic, etc etc.

And because I am totally in the dark when it comes to jrock, bands, etc (I only recently found out who Gackt is and he is NOT the reason I went to AX), are there local bands or American bands who perform jrock-style that we can get like Artbeat?  I know artists from Japan would be awesome but we should support the community, too.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Chun

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"
I'd rather not book all the disappointed guests from AX. Instead, I'd prefer to carry on as we usually do, and if one of the previous AX GoH happens to accept our invitation, that would be nice. Remember that we're our own con and we're not trying to copy AX. We especially don't want to shamelessly take advantage of AX's....misstep.

Thing is, AX held a few of the powerhouses of anime this year. Inviting them over does not detriment nor imply advantage. They're part of the anime world, they should still be taken a shot at.

If anything, take it as an attempt to show the guests the "potential" another convention can run smoothly, thereby allowing AX to save face as well.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

pockystix

I really want Chihara Minori to attend more than ever. T____T I love her so much for her awesome live singing voice (which is ironically 10x better than her recording voice) and she'd be an excellent addition to MusicFest. Her being one of the [solo] performers at this year's Animelo concert @ Budokai shows what a great singer she has become. I don't think AX's concert did her justice. At all.

Did I mention she can play guitar and used to do street performances?
New sn = Meirin

Kazuko

D: Oh Im only wishing but I know not to ask for names like Gackt or Miyavi ROFL SKIN was nice from what i heard but DAYUM prices yo

x: I would love to see Bands like

Plastic tree (xD I know even to this day <3)
Crack 6
ZZ (T___T I totaly missed them thursday)
Mari Ijima ( Miss herrr ;o; )
Karma Shenjing (OMFG bring THEM BACK <3)
Onmyo-za
Ore Ska Band
Haruko Momoi
ALI PROJECT

Manga-ka
Mitsukazu Mihara (PLX D: <33)
Peach-Pit

Seiyuu
Oh god *___* the whole cast of Ouran High school host club
Yuuko Gotoh ( I <3 Mikuru )

Also :3 how about authors of popular Japanese books like Koshun Takami from Battle Royale (I denno if hes still alive o__O)

Fanime 08 Is gonna be bomb I cant wait :3

Chikiru

I support Oreskaband coming to Fanime 08, too. :33 It's definitely a step away from the conventional "jrock" that Tony said he'd try to move away from in another topic.

Also, would it be possible to get Poplar back? I'm sort of sad that I didn't appreciate their lives more back in Fanime 06. They're definitely better live than th CDe recording suggests. >.>

Magical Senpai

I would also love for Ore Ska Band to play at MusicFest.

serajwl

Quote from: "alkaline"
Cinemechanica...

Optimus Rhyme...

The Minibosses...

Yes, yes, and yes!!! That would be epic.

But how hard would they be to get to fanime?

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Chun"
Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"

Thing is, AX held a few of the powerhouses of anime this year. Inviting them over does not detriment nor imply advantage. They're part of the anime world, they should still be taken a shot at.

If anything, take it as an attempt to show the guests the "potential" another convention can run smoothly, thereby allowing AX to save face as well.

"Taken a shot at"!?  The guests are still people.  How would you feel if you were asked to waste more time another foreign anime convention shortly after you've had a miserable experience at the first one?  I imagine the "powerhouses of anime" probably have too much work to get done to travel overseas just to risk having another bad experience.  No matter which anime convention asks or how they phrase it, the invitation would probably bring up the recent memory of AX, forcing the convention to compare itself to AX, and I think that any comparison would be a lose-lose-lose situation.  I agree that it's probably better to not ask the AX guests to another convention too quickly.

Chun

Quote from: "Nyxyin"
"Taken a shot at"!?  The guests are still people.  How would you feel if you were asked to waste more time another foreign anime convention shortly after you've had a miserable experience at the first one?

There's a year till fanime. I did not dehumanize these people in any way, so do not assume as such by your interpretations.

Of course seiyuu schedules are busy, which is why AX was a focal point for many this year; rarity.

Which is why it shouldn't hurt to ask them later anyway. It's not the same convention. one bad American restaurant in Japan doesn't make every other eatery with American food bad; they're not that dense :/.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)