FanimeCon-issued "Glomp me!" stickers/ribbons

Started by heeroyuy135, May 30, 2007, 10:49:01 PM

heeroyuy135

I'm afraid this is going to get lost in the General Comments and Criticisms Thread, so I'll post it here.

I've been reading about the glomping issue, especially with this year. Stories about costumes ruined and so fourth because of glomping.

I got a good idea.

What I'd like to see is that Fanime issue their own "Yes, glomp me!" sticker/ribbon that you can stick on the bottom of your badge. When you go and register (either online or at the con), you can request one. That way, you can look at their badges to see if you they have already consented to be glomped. If they don't have the official sticker/ribbon given out by Fanime, you can't glomp them.

Nina Star 9

I honestly do not see how this would help. It is a good idea, but would someone with so few social graces as to be glomping without permission look at a person's badge for a sticker or a ribbon anyway? Often glomping is from behind or "Oh! I see a _____ cosplayer!" and then a sudden glomp, not "I wonder if that person is glompable..." and then making sure the person wants that rough physical contact.

Pimpstress Rei

FanimeCon can't officially issue out glomping stickers or ribbons for members due to liability issues. If a person got hurt but said "well Fanime said it was ok, here look at this sticker/ribbon", then we'd be up the creek with that. We can't condone glomping but we can turn a blind eye if glompers want quietly glomp each other.

The problem is, the glompers are harassing our other members who do not want to be bothered. This means that you guys need to sort it out without Fanime staff getting into it. We won't say yay or nay on anything (unless someone will seriously get hurt), but we can't help you or give you suggestions either. All I can say is I hope the glompers stick to their own group and leave the general members and staff alone.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

felicity869

it's a great idea in theory but honestly if those who are glomping are not currently caring to ask if it's ok, do you really think they'd care to check for stickers/ribbons on badges before glomping random people?

Chloe

Damn, yeah, this year there was alot of issues with the glomping.  It was a menace... People would really follow you as you walk down the halls wanting to be glomped. It's sorta weird for me to get used to since it's been my 4th year at Fanime, but this years was alot more than the others.  I wonder what was up with that?
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

~~Loktera~~

Blame Ebner.

But seriously, I think that the Glomping Menace hasn't been dealt with in the past and seriously needs to be adressed. It was bad enough that my Ocelot Costume was barely able to fit, but catching a glomper in mid-air and I nearly busted a seam (Thank god for military strength clothing).

Something must be done to cull this threat of all cosplay everywhere.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Glitch

I wonder if it'd be ok if I had a sign that read "you can glomp me, but I get to punch you".....   Nah, my fist would be tired after a while.     :)
just a joke folks.

mDuo13

I really did not notice this very much. I dunno, some people seem to have had it real bad. I guess at one point some crazy Death Note cosplayer tackled me from behind but that's kind of expected as I was cosplaying Light, and I think she was Misa, so that was mostly just a case of her being perfectly in character.
*Makes me wonder, though, about the potential if there were Yuuichi and AyuAyu cosplayers there.

The rest of the time, nobody glomped me unexpectedly or without permission. Was it really all that bad this year?

Ayanami Rei First Child

Yeah I never got glomped without permission, or even hugged. I mean I know I wasn't in a super awesome cosplay or anything....I was only crossdressed in a pink dress and stuff....but I didn't really see people getting glomped without permission.

HOWEVER I think there is one girl who should be carefully watched...she just screams and then goes over and gives people a sloppy glomp where she just jumps up slightly and wraps herself around the guy. That puts a lot of strain on the ankles, and it'd be really easy for someone to get a sprain, PLUS she didn't give them a real warning or allow themselves to brace properly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8RxL8DLsEuc

Seriously...WRONG way to glomp.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Yeah I never got glomped without permission, or even hugged. I mean I know I wasn't in a super awesome cosplay or anything....I was only crossdressed in a pink dress and stuff....but I didn't really see people getting glomped without permission.

HOWEVER I think there is one girl who should be carefully watched...she just screams and then goes over and gives people a sloppy glomp where she just jumps up slightly and wraps herself around the guy. That puts a lot of strain on the ankles, and it'd be really easy for someone to get a sprain, PLUS she didn't give them a real warning or allow themselves to brace properly.

Holy shit, you're right.

(On a side note, where was she to glomp me? Well, not like that...)

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Yeah I never got glomped without permission, or even hugged. I mean I know I wasn't in a super awesome cosplay or anything....I was only crossdressed in a pink dress and stuff....but I didn't really see people getting glomped without permission.

That's a frightening way to glomp. Someone could get seriously hurt if she caught them by total surprise.
I couldn't bear to watch the whole video because her behavior kind of reminds me too strongly of my creepy roommate... who, yes, will do that (especially to me, it seems) even though she's a full 100 pounds heavier than I. I'm sort of glad I didn't see this girl the whole weekend.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Crazy_Saiko

Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"Blame Ebner.

But seriously, I think that the Glomping Menace hasn't been dealt with in the past and seriously needs to be adressed. It was bad enough that my Ocelot Costume was barely able to fit, but catching a glomper in mid-air and I nearly busted a seam (Thank god for military strength clothing).

Something must be done to cull this threat of all cosplay everywhere.
hmm good thing i wasn't around
you'de be left naked stripped from your clothes
when i'd be done glomping with you
<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

Glitch

Good cthulu that is a horrible way to glomp. She jumps and hangs on to people who are HALF her size. She also grabs and hangs onto people's necks when glomping. There are many different ways she could hurt people that appear in that video. If I ever see somebody like that at fanime, they will get a talking too.

Crazy_Saiko

Quote from: "Glitch"
Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"

Good cthulu that is a horrible way to glomp. She jumps and hangs on to people who are HALF her size. She also grabs and hangs onto people's necks when glomping. There are many different ways she could hurt people that appear in that video. If I ever see somebody like that at fanime, they will get a talking too.
wow... i just have to say
... i need to glomp her...
she needs to know what a real glomp feels like
... to me.. all she's doing is flomping.. not glomping

anywaits a minute.. wasnt there a guy in that video who's one of us???
ayy...what's his name... ><  ... T_T i forgot!!!
but yea..

she barely even tries to get some air into a glomp
she needs to really RUN.. JUMP.. TACKLEHUG -^^-
<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

Chun

What was with all the signs between Dealer and Artist Alley?

Looked pretty sad... random people wanting hugs and looking at you as you walked by...

A hug is a special thing, after all.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Shi_Musouka

I recall being offered a few hugs while I was walking somewhere, but I politely told them "No, but thanks for offering" , so it wasn't a big deal for me.

A solution I have already proposed with my Rover co-staffers, but I will now offer it here. I suggested that with the glomping that if the person that you want to glomp is accompanied with a friend and you are also accompanied with a friend, one of you could approach that person's friend and ask privately if his/her friend is okay with glomps, and make your move based on the response. It's probably a little risky and won't work because you run the risk of an "I don't know" a lie, or no answer at all, but it's better to be safe than sorry. It's better to glomp someone who is okay with glomps than someone who isn't and can get seriously injured from being glomped.

Kind of like a compromise between the two sides(or three).

It's an idea I came up with after listening to a technique that some Rovers will attempt in order to provide beneficial services to the handicapped attendees yet at the same time, spare them from possible humiliation(e.g. finding out whether a non-handicapped woman is really overweight or just pregnant).

Emerge

the thing is, i dont know why people would wanna hug me.

i bathe daily, but damn. 6:00 in the morning, sleep deprived, fanboy funk in full force. doesn't make for a good hug, imo, but still; this one girl was all cheery, offering, in her words, "MORNING HUG!"

wow. i obliged, but i still wonder why

E-Chan

I can tell you guys that it is something that many of the rovers tried to address while we were working.

Trouble is, a lot of people are stubborn and refuse to believe that not everyone wants to be glomped, and of course, they couldn't possibly be hurting anyone or their costumes, so why should they bother asking?

I think the big thing is that the glompers needed to get consent. Majorly needed to get consent. And not sit in the middle of the walkways in huge circles. If everyone in that circle is okay with it, then it's peachy, but they're still blocking walkways... even at four in the morning.

So... perhaps a better policy is the one that was proposed "You can glomp me... but I get to punch you... if you don't ask my permission first." ;)
Kidding! But seriously, that would be satisfying. "You wrecked my costume, b----!! Eat fist!"
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

Errowyn

I've been glomped and I've glomped some people.  If I'm going to glomp something I always want to make sure they see me first so I don't catch them by surprise and run the risk of hurting anyone.  If they don't want to be glomped I just don't glomp them.
A truly wise man does not play leap frog with a unicorn...

Xeluu

That was sexual harassment. Closer to sexual assault. That's the type of person that cosplayers need to report to ConOps and Rovers. Seeing this I'm GLAD I wasn't wearing my costume on Friday, because that's unacceptable.

I think that this year cosplayers need to take a stand against non-request glomps. It's getting out of hand, and unfortunately Fanime can't really issue a "glompzone" or the like.

I know this coming year I'm going to be reporting all of the unconsensual glomps I recieve. Asked for hugs are fine, but being glomped from behind in a mascot costume (I was the mudkipz), and being lifted into the air without permission (Big bear hug. x_X) are not fun experiences.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas