something I've been wondering

Started by Sunara Ishi, May 31, 2007, 04:45:42 PM

Sunara Ishi

The whole thing with a girl cleaning a guy's ear with a cotton swab on a stick... where the guy is in the girl's lap...

Does that actually happen in japan? anywhere? O.o? or is it supposed to be some fetish that isn't common? -.-;

I'm rather ignorant of these things... >.>; Thanks in advance whomever knows...

BTW, so this thread could be multi-purpose... please feel free to ask about other things from anime that you wonder if they actually happen... err... yeah.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

LordKefka

It's one of those fetishes people have and certain maid cafes in Japan provide service for.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jelly Donut

Jun-Watarase

It's not a fetish. ^^;;;

Well... I guess it can be.

I do it for my boyfriend all the time, and he really enjoys it. I sort of treat it as a treat to him, since he enjoys it so much. ^.^; But yeah, it normally a sign of affection. Your parents or relatives can do it for you, but a lot of times, lovers will help clean each others' ears as well.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LastElixir

It's pretty common in Japan to have your mom clean your ears like that. Even if it's not your mom, it's generally common to have your significant other, bigger sister, etc doing so. Well, atleast it was common back in the day, I don't know about the recent years. Depending on household, many people don't use swabs or Q-tips over there, so you need to get the gunk out of your ear once in a while.

I've also seen ear-cleaning as a profession in places like Taiwan, India, Thailand etc... they have different sizes of ear scrapers and they rapidly clean your ears on the streets for a small fee, kinda like shoe-shining... crazy!

J

Lisu

I'd draw that~
think I've seen a CG or two of that....much like any of the rather random stuff you see two people doing.
If it works, it don't need fixin'

LordKefka

Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"It's not a fetish. ^^;;;

Well... I guess it can be.

I do it for my boyfriend all the time, and he really enjoys it. I sort of treat it as a treat to him, since he enjoys it so much. ^.^; But yeah, it normally a sign of affection. Your parents or relatives can do it for you, but a lot of times, lovers will help clean each others' ears as well.

No one ever cleaned my ears...;____;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Mmm, oh yeah. It's not a cotton swab, though. I don't think that'd be as comfortable. XD;

But yeah. It's a pick-- mine are made of bamboo.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"Mmm, oh yeah. It's not a cotton swab, though. I don't think that'd be as comfortable. XD;

O_O;;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: "LordKefka"
Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"Mmm, oh yeah. It's not a cotton swab, though. I don't think that'd be as comfortable. XD;

O_O;;

Ara.. It's nothing scary. XD; It's like a small stick with a spoon-like curve at the end to pick out stuff.

I guess it can be described as the feeling like... having your back scratched?

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"

O_O;;

Ara.. It's nothing scary. XD; It's like a small stick with a spoon-like curve at the end to pick out stuff.

You mean as far as my hand can reach behind...-.-;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Sunara Ishi

yeah... I looked again... what I saw in the episode was more like a pick with a fluffy thing on the end... I dunno what its called...

Maybe I'd do it if I ever get a bf.. but it just seems so awkward... -.-;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

LastElixir

The picks with the swab at the end are usually bamboo, and they are called "Mimikaki" or "ear scratcher" and  all of them should be called the same. I use a metal one that I've been using since I was a kid and I can't go back to using the bamboo ones. The bamboo ones are softer and more well-rounded while the metal ones are for advanced players (lol) due to them being so sharp... they are like razor-sharp spoons.

j

Jun-Watarase

O_O;;

You mean as far as my hand can reach behind...-.-;

Ahh, well... I was referring to the sensation when it's scratched for you. Haha. XD;

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"

yeah... I looked again... what I saw in the episode was more like a pick with a fluffy thing on the end... I dunno what its called...

Maybe I'd do it if I ever get a bf.. but it just seems so awkward... -.-;

It's not that awkward. ^^; I enjoy doing it for mine. He really enjoys it too. It's a pretty significant sign of trust, too.

Quote from: "LastElixir"The picks with the swab at the end are usually bamboo, and they are called "Mimikaki" or "ear scratcher" and  all of them should be called the same. I use a metal one that I've been using since I was a kid and I can't go back to using the bamboo ones. The bamboo ones are softer and more well-rounded while the metal ones are for advanced players (lol) due to them being so sharp... they are like razor-sharp spoons.

j

Ara. I don't like the feeling of the metal ones. XD; They're cold, sometimes, too.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"Ahh, well... I was referring to the sensation when it's scratched for you. Haha. XD;

Th..thanks...T_T
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: "Jun-Watarase"Ahh, well... I was referring to the sensation when it's scratched for you. Haha. XD;

Th..thanks...T_T

Ara... ^^; I'll scratch your back for you, if you like.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Th..thanks...T_T

Ara... ^^; I'll scratch your back for you, if you like.

>__>;.....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/lordkefka94606/orly.gif
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Chun

Chiisai tokoro.... [/Honey and Clover]

My mother used to do it to me as a kid. Only she would use a bobby pin. It's really weird to talk about it online though, since it's really something you have to feel in order to enjoy.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: "Chun"Chiisai tokoro.... [/Honey and Clover]

My mother used to do it to me as a kid. Only she would use a bobby pin. It's really weird to talk about it online though, since it's really something you have to feel in order to enjoy.

~Chun

My grandmother used a bobby pin sometimes, too.

FanimaidCafe.com

mDuo13

This thread gives me the willies.