Darker Than Black

Started by mDuo13, June 01, 2007, 05:37:16 PM

mDuo13

It gets its own thread.

I think it's gotten better these past couple episodes. We're getting more interesting details about the way the world works, meeting a variety of interesting characters, and enjoying some great action scenes. I'm still disappointed, though, in the way they tend to create all these interesting (and often sexy) secondary characters, and then the characters only stick around for two episodes. It's like, any one of them I could really grow to know and like if they were permanent characters, but instead, the only permanent character with a big part is Li / Hei, who has almost a non-personality. It's like he's the observer and we're getting a series of character sketches rather than recurring characters.

That said, which characters do you guys think were most interesting?
Shinoda Chiaki (eps 1-2)
Mai? (eps 3-4)
Dr. Tahara? (eps 3-4)
November 11 / MI-6 Agents? (eps 5-6)
Havoc? (eps 5-6)
Detective Kurasawa Gai & his assistant?
Amitabh Kapoor? (the keiyakusha from eps 7-8)
Yuzuki's Widow? (eps 7-8)

I liked the focus on Mao (the black cat) for parts of eps 7-8, though. And I'm definitely looking forward to an episode where they focus on Yin, the girl who senses people with water. I'm not too interested in that one office woman who works for Pandora.

P.S. every once in a while, a cool song shows up to remind me it's Yoko Kanno doing the soundtrack, but it's not exactly a string of nonstop hits like Cowboy Bebop.

LastElixir

In is <3

still need to watch more, only watched the first story.

j

Leviathan

Thanks to the Fanime peeps for bringing this one to the convention. I've only just seen those first three episodes thanks to the con but I'm hooked. I love the opening song Howling by "abingdon boys school" (t.m revolutions group).

As for characters besides the main, well I can't really say since I've only seen the first 3 episodes, lol. But Mao the black kitty, so kawaii!! Hei's interesting just because he has that blank personality, which makes sense as to why he wears a mask. His true personality is unknown and he can show a face that isn't his to anyone if needed for the job.

It's a very interesting show. I'm gonna keep watching.  :D

Mew

I had already started a thread for this. .;_;

But in any case, Hei kicks ass and looks like he'll be kicking more ass in ep 10! X.D Ep 6 was the best in the series so far, imo.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Sunara Ishi

I like Gai's assistant (I know they said her name in ep. 7 or 8 somewhere) , Havoc, the one main girl that's dressed in egl like clothes... (uses water) I dunno her name..., and Hei. >.<
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Quote from: "GokuMew2"I had already started a thread for this. .;_;
Ugh, and I even posted in it. Yeesh. My memory is horriblé.

Oh yeah, Sunara, you're talking about this girl?

That's In, sometimes written Yin; it's pronounced somewhere between. The official reading is ã,¤ãƒ³ ("In"). According to the official Japanese website, she's a Doll with no emotions, not a true keiyakusha.

Mew

Quote from: "mDuo13"
Quote from: "GokuMew2"I had already started a thread for this. .;_;
Ugh, and I even posted in it. Yeesh. My memory is horriblé.
S'okay. I just did something similar over at the AnimeNation forum and the people were relentless. .-_-

Li is so adorable in ep 9. .^^ He had a rumbling in his tummy. X.D
< Mew >

Mew

Have you guys seen ep 10? .*___________*
I can't say enough how *adorable* Li is and how uber hawt Hei is. X.D

Looks like we may find out more about Hei and Hell's Gate in ep 11. I can't wait! And apparently the series is being lengthened to 25 episodes. Whee~
< Mew >

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "mDuo13"
Oh yeah, Sunara, you're talking about this girl?

That's In, sometimes written Yin; it's pronounced somewhere between. The official reading is ã,¤ãƒ³ ("In"). According to the official Japanese website, she's a Doll with no emotions, not a true keiyakusha.
yep. thx. >.<
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Mew

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!
Anyone watch ep 11 yet??? The end was .O___________________O

Quote from: "SPOILER!!! Highlight to read"I think that was Pai on the screen near the end!! Hei looked like he was gonna have a panic attack. Wahhh~~

This is getting almost as suspenseful as Code Geass!! Ep 12 is going to be gooooooooooooood![/color]
< Mew >

Mew

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!
Anyone watch ep 11 yet??? The end was .O___________________O

Quote from: "SPOILER!!! Copy and past somewhere to read"I think that was Pai on the screen near the end!! Hei looked like he was gonna have a panic attack. Wahhh~~

This is getting almost as suspenseful as Code Geass!! Ep 12 is going to be gooooooooooooood!
< Mew >

mDuo13

I haven't seen a sub of ep 11 come out yet.

Just finished episode 10, though, and I've come to a realization. Most of the time, Hei is not a character. He is a plot device.

Mew

As anticipated, DTB12 was good.
Man I love this series!!

Hope Shinsen subs 11-12 soon. I'd like to see the parts I didn't fully understand.
< Mew >

Sunara Ishi

I watched the raw of ep. 12... The girl at the end really does look like a young C.C. -.-;

I've given in to watching sudo's subs since they release fast but I do hope Mishicorp starts releasing again. I prefer their releases and they don't lag on me... -.-;

Ep. 11 was a pain cause they talk so much... and when it lags, the subtitles don't always show up. T.T

The current plot seems interesting.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

mDuo13

I find I like sudo's subs a lot. Shinsen's translations have always felt a bit iffy for me, and they're slower, too. And I don't have any playback problems with any of them, so no biggie there.

About to watch ep 11 now. The theme song to this show has been stuck in my head for days now.

EDIT: So episode 11 caught my respect in the first 50 seconds, with a cute new character, good music, etc. But the rest of the episode wasn't as good as I had expected after that. There were a lot of things that, even subtitled, just didn't make a lot of sense. They just haven't revealed enough for them to make sense, yet. Hopefully 12 will resolve some of these issues. I have some suspicions, though, based on a couple hints that were dropped during the episode.

Sunara Ishi

Ep. 13 and 14 were awesome.

All about Yin... banzai!
Quote from: "spoiler"I never realized she was blind. D: I should have.
BTW, Yin trying to smile is so cute...
I still suspect that she's not truly a Doll and everyone just thinks she is... but its likely a lil of both.

And Yin young=adorable.
Hei young (ep.12?) wasn't. It didn't fit and his sisters voice sounded off... >.>

I hope there's further Yin backstory... and Hei too.... XD;

On a side note, anyone know if they have scheduled a release date for this?
I should probably start keeping a calendar of releases to buy... OwO
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O