General question about staffing

Started by scsa20, June 01, 2007, 06:31:34 PM

scsa20

Hey there, I was thinking about staffing next year but there's a few questions I'd like answered.

I live in Arizona so attending staff meetings early in the year will be really hard (especially since I've just started a new job and working as a contractor and not an perm).  If I was still living in Northern California, this wouldn't be a problem, but, anyways, could I still sign up for staff without having to physically be at a meeting that's early in the year? (like being in a conference call or something).

Also, should I also pre-reg for a member badge after signing up for staff?  And if accepted for staff, do you get a refund back for the pre-reg? (how does it actually work in terms of getting the badges, pretty much).

I might have some other questions further down the line, but if I know the answers to this question would be really helpful, and if it's not possible for me to be on staff, then that's cool, I'll just volunteer then :p
GTL Video in the makes!  Check the GTL forums.  My site well also have information on it when it's avaible!

astroboy

If you wish to become staff you must sign up thru the website
http://fanime.com/staff/
1) you must apply for a dept.
2) your dept. must accept you......by sending an invitation
3) you must accept the invitation
ALL 3 steps must be completed to join staff.
However be warned a lot of staffers are in "hibernation" mode right now....which is to be expected after the con.

Staffers do not pay for their badges.

Can you still join staff even if you can't make it to the meetings? I used to live in Seattle for a year but was still able to staff. I explained my situation to my department head and she gave the okay. Your department head/(manager) gets to decide whether it's okay or not.

scsa20

I already knew the steps for getting on staff (I never even asked how I get on staff), just wanted to know if I should even pre-reg when pre-reg opens (that way I don't have to wait until the last minute to reg and have to pay the 50+ dollar price).

And thanks for the information about if I could be on staff even if I'm unable to make it to meets.
GTL Video in the makes!  Check the GTL forums.  My site well also have information on it when it's avaible!

Krnchichiri

I think it would depend on some departments. Like, if you got accepted to a department, you might want to contact your head and ask if it would be okay.

I think that Registration wouldn't mind, but I'm not so sure about other departments. :/
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

astroboy

Quote from: "scsa20".... just wanted to know if I should even pre-reg when pre-reg opens .....
If you plan on becoming staff do NOT pre-reg....just sign up to become staff and pick up your staff badge at con in 2008.

BTW this is how most anime cons work. 8)

scsa20

Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "scsa20".... just wanted to know if I should even pre-reg when pre-reg opens .....
If you plan on becoming staff do NOT pre-reg....just sign up to become staff and pick up your staff badge at con in 2008.

Just asking if I should pre-reg in case I don't get invited on staff, don't feel like paying that 50+ price to pre-reg you know :p

I'll probably wait until sometime in Dec to pre-reg, though, to give it enough time for an invite to come in :)

Sen

Quote from: "scsa20"

Just asking if I should pre-reg in case I don't get invited on staff, don't feel like paying that 50+ price to pre-reg you know :p

I'll probably wait until sometime in Dec to pre-reg, though, to give it enough time for an invite to come in :)

To be on the safe side you could pre-reg and then ask if you can get a reimbursement if you get accepted onto staff.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

M

Quote from: "Sen"
Quote from: "scsa20"

To be on the safe side you could pre-reg and then ask if you can get a reimbursement if you get accepted onto staff.

By Dec., scsa20 should know if s/he's accepted onto staff =P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

brinstar

Quote from: "astroboy"If you wish to become staff you must sign up thru the website
http://fanime.com/staff/
1) you must apply for a dept.
2) your dept. must accept you......by sending an invitation
3) you must accept the invitation
ALL 3 steps must be completed to join staff.
However be warned a lot of staffers are in "hibernation" mode right now....which is to be expected after the con.

Staffers do not pay for their badges.

I followed this procedure prior to the con, and I did not receive a response, so I just attended as a regular member.

I was wondering if there were specific people I could follow up with in the departments I'm interested in.

I moved to the Bay Area in March, and I was hoping to staff at Fanime.

I have been a staffer at Otakon since 1999, and I gave a detailed list of my con staffing experience in my application. At Otakon, I'm currently in the Guest Relations department (though I took a break from the con this year).

Krnchichiri

Brinstar: Since you moved to the Bay Area, go to one of the staff meetings when they come up and go to a head of a department and ask if you can join. ^^ My friend did that for Registration and was accepted. :3 If you could, try to register and apply a few months at least before a convention if you can't make the meetings. [That's how I got my invitation. :3 ]
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D