Fanime 2007 vs. Anime Expo 2007

Started by heeroyuy135, June 03, 2007, 01:05:17 AM

heeroyuy135

I find it weird that I'm back on this subject, especially after looking at AX's website for the first time and looking at everything AX is doing, and trying to compare to what Fanime was in 2007.

AX is pulling out Midnight Tea, Otaku Parlimentary Debate, AX Idol, all the Japanese VAs from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (and all of them are being flown into the US just for AX), Premeir ticket purchasing, and a whole bunch of stuff for this year.

Can we even compare the two? Like what someone said, AX is manga while Fanime is dojinshi...

Chloe

I haven't even been to AX before, but from what I heard is that AX is on a totally different level compared to Fanime.  As you stated, AX is a manga and Fanime is a doujin...

They are seriously bigger in attendence rates and have to cater to more people.  I guess with more funding, they can pull off alot of things. D:

Makes you want to go and see what it's like.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Stormfalcon

The most common and apt way to see the two is that AX is much more of an industry convention while Fanime is more of a fan's convention.  As an industry con, AX gets the presence of the various anime & manga publishers in North America, whereas Fanime only gets a few of them to stop by.  Also, that means that AX gets more money to play around with in terms of their budget.  That means bigger facilities, more guests, bigger events, etc.  That in turn draws in more people.

However, the downside to that is that there's far less, if any, fansub showings compared to what Fanime shows.  In short, the latest and greatest that AX shows will be what the industry brings, not what can be had on the net.  Also, with AX being so big, it's easy for fans to get lost in the crowds and the con does have more of an impersonal air to it.  That's not to say that there aren't any fan activities what so ever (there are), it's just that the industry side of things is much more dominant and gets more attention.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

astroboy

I haven't been to AX yet but from what I hear there's a line for everything (or more specifically anything worthwhile).  Basically you stand in line to get into the con (which is expected) and then stand in line for the events. (sounds like Disney Land huh?) That seems like a very plausible story considering AX has triple the attendees.

You guys may remember the unusually long line for registration this year when some people had to wait 3 hours. Remember how apologetic the Fanime staffers were? Rumor has it AX makes no such apologies ---> it's to be expected! :shock:

On the bright side as mentioned before with it's "deep pockets" and "unusually close" connections to industry:

1) Guests - enough said

2) The charity auction can get pretty intense. There are some "heavy hitters" people with money to burn and willing to bid high prices on some of the artwork.

3) The dealers room can have some amazing booth set ups

serajwl

Even if they were the same type of con, you couldn't even compare them because of the sheer size of the two. Fanime is 10,000 people whereas AX is roughly 50,000. Therefor they need a bigger venue, and probably have a little bit more money to throw around get some good stuff there.

Dealers and guests are also more willing to come to a convention of such a large size, it gets them more business.

Glitch

The way to look at them is that fanime is a talented punk band, while expo is a shiny boy band.  I am notoriously loyal to fanime :P
Haven't been to expo,but this comparison is what I imagine when some of the folks here describe the cons.

heeroyuy135

I also noticed that the Guests of Honor for this year's Fanime have been past Guests of Honor and that they love coming back to Fanime year after year...

Yeah, the cast of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and AnimeTV are there at AX, but why? Because of the publicity? The amount of money they're getting? Would be it for the same reasons that the Guests of Honor for Fanime keep coming back year after year? I would guess not...

M

Quote from: "astroboy"FRumor has it AX makes no such apologies ---> it's to be expected! :shock:

Please refrain from posting rumors about other conventions.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

astroboy

perhaps I chose the wrong word....anyhow

AX is actually on my list of "Places to visit before you die."

Call me weird but one of my favorite events at a con is the gripe session!

some masquerade / cosplay gripes: :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ekF2T8KhCc&mode=related&search=

Kyokun

Since my friend moved to LA last year, we're going to make our first trip to AX for a day (and later, Comic-con).  I think I'm going more for the atmosphere than the anime, since because it's so heavily industry oriented, there aren't fansubs, and there are a lot of dubs (which I have no interest in, personally).  I AM excited though about the cosplayers (looking forward to taking lots of pictures) and the dealer's room (one of my favorite artists from deviantart has a booth).  I'm not looking forward to the crowds or the lines, but I think it'll be an interesting experience.  

Of course, I'll be back for Fanime 08!  That's my favorite con.  But like astroboy said, "AX is actually on my list of 'Places to visit before you die'" which I totally agree with.  Kind of like Vegas.

pandacon

I went last year. It's definately bigger and more industry, and yes, there are no fansubs there. It was annoying that there were no marathons to go to, everything was 2 episodes here and there. And they had two halls dedicated to lines, one for the registration, and one for live events. I went to AMVs and the Masquerade and spent at least a couple hours in each in line, well, not including the lines to get the tickets, yeah, honestly I'm not looking forward to that again.

It was great to see the guests they were able to being out, though I did miss Clamp since I came in a little late. It's definately worth it to check out, but I can't see myself going every year. Also programing stops at midnight and starts again around 6am I believe, that sucked, expecially since my only other con experience was fanime which runs 24 hours a day.

Oh, the cosplay was awesome as well, I guess with more people you get to see a lot more cosplay, there were a ton of Shinigami from bleach, there was this one girl who cosplayed the Xenosaga girl with a bike, looked awesome.

You're basically trading waiting in long lines, no marathons, and nothing to do after midnight, for bigger name guests and a lot more people.
I learned everything I needed to know about life from Hentai.

K&K4ever

Here's my opinion,

AX: long lines (For everytinh), big crouds everywhere, pissy stafers :x

Fanime: still, long lines (but not for everything), air to breath, and not so pissy staffers  :shock:
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

DayDreamerNessa

I think it depends on what your going to do.

I'll be going to ax for the first time this year, and can't wait. My main goals are cosplaying, and checking out the dealers room.

With cosplay i think AX for me has a lot more to offer than fanime, since the size of ax is bigger=more photographers to see my costumes and that means more photo's, and other cosplayers to interact with since there's people all over that come to ax. Fanime has so many nice cosplayers, and I love them all, but it seems like everyone saves there big stuff for ax, fanime has a lot of great cosplays, but I never see too much extravagent costumes, which i expect to see at ax.

And the dealers room, i don't know what to expect at all with that at AX, i hope to have great finds, but i'll have to wait and see when the time comes. I loved fanime's dealers room this year though, and it seems to get better and better every year.

Fanime will always be my fave, it was my first con, and the one i've attended the most. =)
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Ayanami Rei First Child

I want to AX several years ago, and I didn't like it much. People stuck with their own cliques. I go to FanimeCon to meet new friends and people, not to mention that there were a TON of crowds so it's not like there were much places to just sit and hang out. Personally I'm not very fond of AX since it's so impersonal, and the crowds were waaaaay too large..and that was BEFORE they got even more attendees like they have now.

Suffice to say...FanimeCon is the best for me...^_^

Chocolate Lover

There really isn't a comparision. If you like hanging out with friends and watching anime with them, go to Fanime.
If you enjoy meeting guests and listening to industry talk about upcoming releases, go to AX.

K&K4ever

It's true that the cosplay opertunities at AX are better, but it's so impersonal, I have only met one new person that I met at AX, where as in the freinds I have met at fanime put's AX to shame, matter of fact the only reasons that I go to AX are for the cosplays, the guest (althoug not so much this year), Aloha Anime (a dealer in the dealers room, tons of doujinshi) and it's the only con that I get to bring my cousins to (they live in southern Cal).
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

laminatedbunny

Gackt is gonna be at AX..and so is MIyavi.  *dies* xD

Leviathan

AX can get crowded and it doesn't have the personalble feel like Fanime, but they do get more guests cause of the cashflow. And it has all the industry groups there. It's better at Anaheim, not at Long Beach (though I can't really say cause I haven't been to it at Long Beach, yet, but Anaheim is still better). Still, Fanime has the fansubs, the closer/personalble atomosphere, guests that don't get the much needed attention from larger cons like AX, up and coming indie musicians which totally kick ass (KARMA SHENJIN FTW!!), etc. I have to say I love both. But my shoutout goes to Fanime for being the very first anime con I've ever been to, it holds a special place in my heart. :D

Quote from: "laminatedbunny"Gackt is gonna be at AX..and so is MIyavi.  *dies* xD

GACKT!!! *faints* Yup, so can't wait to see him.  :D

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^