Fanime 2007 vs. Anime Expo 2007

Started by heeroyuy135, June 03, 2007, 01:05:17 AM

Sen

AX is a massive convention in comparison to many others. For those of you who haven't gone before give it a shot for the experience. It could give you an indication of the type of conventions that you would rather attend.

I've gone to two AXs and I found myself rather bored at night. And yes..it was a lot of waiting.  :shock:
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

K&K4ever

one thing you should bring, and this goes with just about any con, DR. Sholes (sp?) :P
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Quote from: "K&K4ever"one thing you should bring, and this goes with just about any con, DR. Sholes (sp?) :P
Dr. Scholl's, and hell yes. :P

You'll need 'em.  I guarantee it.  Be safe, not sorry. ^^;

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^

K&K4ever

Yeah, I forgot to get it at Fanime this year, and my feet learned the consequences.  :(

heeroyuy135

Quote from: "pandacon"Also programing stops at midnight and starts again around 6am I believe, that sucked, expecially since my only other con experience was fanime which runs 24 hours a day.

I'm watching the latest AnimeTV podcast, and during the break they ran an ad for AX, and they're now promoting it as a 24/7 convention. Maybe they have realized the importance of having something going on at all hours of the convention.

K&K4ever

well, the video room usually has something showing all the time don't they? :?

Rossko

I've been going to both cons for a couple of years now. Although before that it was just AX(and I live in Sacramento, lol), I'm really starting to like Fanime more and more. So far, Fanime 2007 was better by leagues and bounds than Fanime 2006(always nice to outdo yourself) and AX 2006. We'll see how AX 2007 goes, but after the lines from 2006, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Someone said earlier that fanime is a lot friendier atmostphere while AX everyone hangs out with their own cliques. I'd say this is pretty true although I do the same while I'm in AX.

The comercialization of AX does make it a very different con though and I encourage everyone who's never been to go. While it's true there isn't much to do after midnight it's mainly because everyone's gone to their hotel parties or hanging out with their cliques.  But they do have the video rooms open all night long as well as the arcade and tabletop gaming rooms.

Because of the comercializtion of it, or maybe the size, the dealers room is huge for AX compaired to Fanime. I can usually find people I lose in the dealers room in Fanime, if it's AX, forget it, you'll see them later.

Probably the biggest thing I love personally about Fanime is their Asian/Live Action Film room. This year they had three rooms! I loved it. AX has nothing like this, although I heard they would be playing the Death Note live action movies, they don't have anything dedicated to Asian films.

Man, this post is a horrible mess, but I hope my expirence and thoughts on the two cons will be of some help to others. I'll see you guys in line at AX, if not, I'll see you at Fanime next year.

K&K4ever

The first time I was in the pre-reg line at AX I was in it for six hours (no joke)

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Quote from: "K&K4ever"The first time I was in the pre-reg line at AX I was in it for six hours (no joke)
No surprise.

And that wasn't a joke. -_-

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^

K&K4ever

that's one of the things I hate about AX, the lines are to F**King long! . . . Every Year.

that's why I'm hoping to get my badge on day 0 again (I barely made it in time last year.) :oops:

Mach5Motorsport

Is this the topic that gets new life every year?!?!  Seriously, AX and Fanime are worlds apart.  Trust me I know. I've staffed both events.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "K&K4ever"The first time I was in the pre-reg line at AX I was in it for six hours (no joke)

I've heard AX do have a long ass line but danm six hours to get your badge. To bad I'm not going this year to check it out I wish I did.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

K&K4ever

Quote from: "Shinsengumi"

I've heard AX do have a long ass line but danm six hours to get your badge. To bad I'm not going this year to check it out I wish I did.

Well, if you get there on day 0 the line is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally short in comparison

dealerJason

Frankly, I think AX is FINALLY becoming the show it was always supposed to be.  Did you see the list folks?  Amazing.

And it is to be expected.  With AX's board filled with industry, it was about time they stepped up and helped make AX the flag ship show.  With all that talent and all that space to grow, they should out do Otakon simply because Otakon will never grow past their 22,000 ceiling (that is max capacity for their venue)

In addition I have heard that AX will be moving closer to San Diego Comic-Con in dates so that dealers who attend both won't have to travel back and forth.  

Anyway, as I sit in the home of all things Anime, I see anime from a different perspective.  I will be listing my report on Fanime's forum.  Look for it in the coming days.

Sincerely,
Blame Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Reikon

From what I've seen at Fanime and AX, here's a concise summary of the conventions.

AX: Waiting in line
Fanime: Doing stuff
2008-09 E-gaming staff

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "Reikon"From what I've seen at Fanime and AX, here's a concise summary of the conventions.

from reading the reviews of AX so far, it looks like they fscked up big-time.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Kazegami

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"
Quote from: "Reikon"From what I've seen at Fanime and AX, here's a concise summary of the conventions.

from reading the reviews of AX so far, it looks like they fscked up big-time.

From what I've heard from friends who've attended, it was pretty boring.

alkaline

Quote from: "dealerJason on June 27th"Frankly, I think AX is FINALLY becoming the show it was always supposed to be.  Did you see the list folks?  Amazing.

I will be listing my report on Fanime's forum.  Look for it in the coming days.

Now that we know AX was a total, unmitigated disaster, I am very interested in hearing this report :lol:

(( Uhg. I didn't even know you were there. My girlfriend and I were so frustrated with AX that we went sight seeing like tourists.. we could have hung out :(  ))

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: "alkaline"Now that we know AX was a total, unmitigated disaster, I am very interested in hearing this report :lol:

I'm curious, what went so wrong at AX?
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

alkaline

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"
Quote from: "alkaline"Now that we know AX was a total, unmitigated disaster, I am very interested in hearing this report :lol:

I'm curious, what went so wrong at AX?

This thread is full of fun stories!

http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=7877