Let's steal all of AX's ideas...for real

Started by heeroyuy135, June 09, 2007, 12:18:49 AM

heeroyuy135

Whatever AX does this year, we should take some of their ideas and make it better for us next year!

Tony

Now all we need is their money. Let's steal that too!

Seriously though, I was thinking of going down there and somehow getting in touch with Yoshiki & co to see if they'd like to do something with FanimeCon next year. Assuming I can get down there.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

PyronIkari

Quote from: "Tony"Now all we need is their money. Let's steal that too!

Seriously though, I was thinking of going down there and somehow getting in touch with Yoshiki & co to see if they'd like to do something with FanimeCon next year. Assuming I can get down there.

Uh... that's not really good business practice to approach them at AX and talk about fanime...

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "PyronIkari"

Uh... that's not really good business practice to approach them at AX and talk about fanime...

Frankly other events come to us at Fanime and have discussed business opportunities and we have always made time for them.  These types of discussions are not normally done at the lower levels of management, but at the upper levels, in which many of us normally schedule time to have these types of exchanges.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

BunofGovt

Well, I for one would love to have a mini Matsuri or a Chibi Masquerade (at last year's AX this was done separately near the Matsuri on the upper level of the convention center).  (And sorry, if we did have a Chibi Masquerade this year I did not see it).

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to ask for.  What Fanime has to offer is fine by me, already.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: "BunofGovt"Well, I for one would love to have a mini Matsuri or a Chibi Masquerade (at last year's AX this was done separately near the Matsuri on the upper level of the convention center).  (And sorry, if we did have a Chibi Masquerade this year I did not see it).

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to ask for.  What Fanime has to offer is fine by me, already.

Uh yeah, I like the fact that Fanime isn't like AX. AX is too much about the industry, and not enough about the fans.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: "phoenixphire24"Uh yeah, I like the fact that Fanime isn't like AX. AX is too much about the industry, and not enough about the fans.

QFT.  Besides, if I wanted to go to AX, I'd go to AX.  Let Fanime be Fanime.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "Stormfalcon"
Quote from: "phoenixphire24"Uh yeah, I like the fact that Fanime isn't like AX. AX is too much about the industry, and not enough about the fans.

AX does have good ideas and how they produced them should always be of interest to Fanime, for without expansion any event will die.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

BunofGovt

btw ...

Who are Yoshiki & co?

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "BunofGovt"btw ...

Who are Yoshiki & co?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Japan

That should explain it somewhat lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

BunofGovt

Ah.  Thanks.  I thought maybe they were behind the scenes at SPJA or something.

PyronIkari

None of the X-Japan people outside of Yoshiki is going to AX. "SKIN" would be who "Yoshiki and co." is refering to. Though... it would be more about talking to Yoshiki, and Yoshiki getting the others to do so.

But on a higher level? Really, I could share some stories about certain AX guests that were absolutely disgusted when certain conventions asked them to appear, because it wasn't done professionally, nor properly.

(hint: some of these stories involve Fanime)

But that would be spreading bad rumors(though they're factual). This is what I refer to when I say it's bad practice.

Discussing guests on a business private level means behind the scenes, which to be honest, I know AX isn't going to setup for another convention. Because why would they do that... "Hey guys, we're going to setup a business like environment for you guys to steal guests that we have!!!" Not like we know this doesn't happen though, even though it's shady and bad business practice.

But what do I know about all of this right Craige? I'm just a peon that doesn't know anyone. Or more realistically, I'm close to a lot of people that do guest relations, and I've heard so many stories from translators/interpretors and actual guest relation heads of now and past that, mayhaps... I know more about guest relations than you do?

Though it's probably the prior. ^^ Trust me... you don't go to a con to try to convince guests of that con... to go to your con. Contact info... and trying to convince them via that in the future, yeah, that's understandable... but not at the con.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"
Quote from: "Stormfalcon"

AX does have good ideas and how they produced them should always be of interest to Fanime, for without expansion any event will die.

Craige...

True, Fanime should grow.  However, we shouldn't become a clone of AX in the process.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Tony

Quote from: "PyronIkari"But on a higher level? Really, I could share some stories about certain AX guests that were absolutely disgusted when certain conventions asked them to appear, because it wasn't done professionally, nor properly.
I've heard some too, though not specific to Fanime. Send me a PM!

Anyway, if a guest were "absolutely disgusted" by how we would approach them, then they're not right for Fanime. I'd hate to see how such a person would react when they're solicited for a hug.

Of course, I'm not gonna go to some convention with numbers and contracts in hand; I'll just come with a few business cards and an open schedule.

Unless I meet miyavi, in which case I'm going to give him a lock of my hair and have him sign my chest, because I will so yaoi him. :D

QuoteBut what do I know about all of this right Craige? I'm just a peon that doesn't know anyone.
I would give Craige the benefit of the doubt. I believe he's been running cons, of many types, longer than you've been alive.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

pockystix

I agree with the idea for Chibi Masq. though. I saw a lot of people with kick-ass costumes, but didn't have a skit at Der Cosplay. It'd be a cool time to showcase awesome skits or costumes with mini prizes. :3 Maybe something for Stage Zero?

That Last Comic Standing event @ AX sounds cool, too.

Other than that, I don't really see much AX has that Fanime doesn't (besides ultra-famous guests and all that industry crap).
New sn = Meirin

Ska_Kitti

It's been discussed that Fanime can't really get much bigger unless it gets shipped to San Francisco. It it went to the Moscone Centre, there would be no close hotel support.

I remember having a conversation with a guest of honor this year who told me that they didn't like attending AX because it was just too much to handle. That begs the question: what if every con was like AX? Japanese guests get the big break. Coming to an American convention where they really get to relax is comforting to them in comparison of having their fans demand so much of them in Japan or cities where the culture is influenced heavily in. American guests also prefer smaller cons so it's easier to meet alot of their fans, like one would enjoy themselves in a small town.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

heeroyuy135

I think in all seriousness, I'd love to see more interactive stuff at Fanime next year, especially with Stage Zero programming...

Maybe or maybe not that other conventions have ideas going around...

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Ska_Kitti"It's been discussed that Fanime can't really get much bigger unless it gets shipped to San Francisco. It it went to the Moscone Centre, there would be no close hotel support. ...

PLEASE let's keep close hotel support!!!

Do we have something like the Model Contest?  Sounds fun.

Plus some of the panels (like the Gundam Models & Resin Building Seminar) looks like it extends over a few days.  I like the idea of a seminar vs a panel.

For example:  What if we had a panel on cosplay that covered different areas of cosplay but over two or three days?  I know we had a few cosplay panels this year on different topics, but if we had one that covered drafting an outfit (or figuring out the basic structure), then finding the materials, then piecing it together, then final touches, or something like that.  It'd still be okay to go to ANY of the panels, but a novice cosplayer would benefit from going to ALL of the panels.

Um, rambling again, it's early.  :oops:

Makou

The only thing I want from AX is the dubbing competition. I'd love to see that this coming Fanime. No, really, I'd love to try it out and see how well it goes. Please consider! *Prays

XpHoBiaX

Stage Zero does an amazing amount of stuff, I loved how you're just passing by and then all of a sudden you're sitting in a chair at the stage screaming your head off. This may sound like a broken record, but I would love to see Stage Zero grow and have more to offer. Of course, by getting larger, they may need their own space, because there is a major traffic zone there. But I'd still go none the less.

My fondest memories are of stage zero. lol More contests! lol