Rock Band, new info; drumkit fails horribly

Started by deepbluevibes, June 15, 2007, 01:33:18 PM

Shinsengumi

Quote from: alkaline on November 06, 2007, 12:18:48 AM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on November 06, 2007, 12:14:13 AM
Quote from: alkaline on November 06, 2007, 12:12:20 AM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on November 06, 2007, 12:06:56 AM
I heard from one of my friends that the drums are not good. I still haven't tried it out yet so I don't know for sure.

Your friend is terribly wrong.

I'll find that out for myself

What a novel concept. Thinking for yourself.

Whatever, I don't have time for this.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jerry

Thread revive*

Phoenix Down*

Well, after playing this game for 2 nights straight.

I actually had alot of fun.

I do admit I give my respects to whoever the drummer of the band is.
Coordinating your feet and arms is pretty tough.

As for the durability of the drum kit set itself i could see how regular (violent play depending on your style of course) I could see the set wearing down on ya in a few months.

then again I know SEVERAL people who wore out their guitars playing expert all the time on the GH series.

stuff breaks and it happens, and unless you are hardcore-ing on expert all the time which our group didnt even try... (we're BARELY getting thru normal) i could see how any game (or accessory) has its plus-es or minus-es.

overall, it kept me up til 8am yesterday and 5am today.
its'd definately worth ranting about when im suppose to sleep.  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Spiritsnare

I've also had a chance to play Rock Band for myself, and it is rather epic.

Or, at least, it got me screaming YEEEEAHUUUHHH MAN WE GOT A FUCKIN' JET GUITAR HERO NEVER GAVE US A JET HOLLA BOIIEEEEEE as the four members of our makeshift party band kicked ass on the floor. Over the course of a single night, we thrashed through Europe. I ended up waking up the following night with Dani California - the song that kept on somehow repeating itself at the party - stuck in my head.

For the record, drums are pretty damn good, and fun to play on. (However, also, for the record, I played on a replacement drumkit; but if all future Rock Band sets come with a set of drums like these, then it's well worth the money.)

Also, the RB guitar is actually quite nice, although I would've preferred the 'clicky' strum of the GH guitars.
epic progressive

vox

PyronIkari

Quote from: Spiritsnare on December 24, 2007, 10:51:50 AM

Also, the RB guitar is actually quite nice, although I would've preferred the 'clicky' strum of the GH guitars.

I both like and dislike the non-click. The reason the non-click exists, is so that you can play with a pick. The click would disallow this because of the extra pressure that would be needed. Where you're seemingly pushing the bar down instead of doing a soft strum. It's not that noticible, but when you get used to it, the RB guitar feels so much more natural.

I dislike it though, due to the ease of accidental double strums. In the end though, I prefer the RB guitar... if for the solo fret bars alone.

M

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 24, 2007, 12:46:21 PMI both like and dislike the non-click. The reason the non-click exists, is so that you can play with a pick. The click would disallow this because of the extra pressure that would be needed. Where you're seemingly pushing the bar down instead of doing a soft strum. It's not that noticible, but when you get used to it, the RB guitar feels so much more natural.

I dislike it though, due to the ease of accidental double strums. In the end though, I prefer the RB guitar... if for the solo fret bars alone.
If I ever have to use the solo fret buttons (or whatever they're called), maybe I'll prefer the RB guitar over the GH ones. It's hard to transition to the RB guitar, although I have to since my GH guitar is broken (one could only assume, from rocking out too much) ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

cappeh

ok ya
i played the drums at best buy the other day

they do kinda suck lol. but i'm sure if i hadn't known of drummania before that i'd enjoy it more.
hi i lav u

Asa_Gohan

IMO it would go in this order from best to worst
Electronic Drumset attached to the computer for custom Drummania [Which is what my friend has at his house and its a million times better then drum mania and rockband combined :P]
Drummania Arcade Machine
Rock band Drumset
Drum mania homeset.

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Shinsengumi

Quote from: cappeh on December 27, 2007, 09:09:16 PM
ok ya
i played the drums at best buy the other day

they do kinda suck lol. but i'm sure if i hadn't known of drummania before that i'd enjoy it more.

Our drum set at best buy is broken too, so I haven't tried it out yet, I heard bad stuff about it.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jerry

keep in mind its in public places and like stuff in public is ever given proper treatment.

again one that our group bought, and our drummer plays pretty...

um rough.

but again to each is own.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

abcbadcat

I just got Rock Band today and I am an advid music game fan.

I love it.

Guitar: The RB guitar's kneck feels a bit flimsy and I don't like the lower fret buttons but aside from that, the guitar works out pretty good. I did like the "raised" buttons from the Guitar Hero series but this guitar does just fine but I'd rather take a GHIII guitar over it any day.

Mic: Works just like any ole Karaoke Revolution mic. I myself haven't tried out vocals yet but I have heard it is more forgiving than Karaoke Revolution and if thats the case then thats awesome!

Drums: I like the drum set. I can use the controls on the drums to play Puzzle Fighter lol. The drums are pretty responsive, the pedal is nice, but (so far) I can't play any higher than Normal. The pedal gets me every time lol.

Songs: Some decent songs but the addition of DLC makes the game amazing. I just need to go out and pick up some points and tear up Little Sister by QOTSA.

Overall... great game to play with friends. I got the whole set up from a friend for $100 so that sweetens the deal a whole lot more.

M

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on December 28, 2007, 09:00:10 PM
IMO it would go in this order from best to worst
Electronic Drumset attached to the computer for custom Drummania [Which is what my friend has at his house and its a million times better then drum mania and rockband combined :P]
Drummania Arcade Machine
Rock band Drumset
Drum mania homeset.

I would agree but factoring cost into it all would eliminate the first two points. :P

cappeh

has anyone else who's played both KR and RB thought the RB vocal scoring is more lenient too? besides badcat anyways, i told him that.

and also, is the rock band guitar easier to play than a GH guitar for anyone else? @___@
hi i lav u

Kandybar

Oh, geez, no.  The Rock Band guitar and I do not get along at ALL.  Give me a Guitar Hero guitar any day.

redroses3164

Quote from: Kandybar on February 21, 2008, 07:47:42 AM
Oh, geez, no.  The Rock Band guitar and I do not get along at ALL.  Give me a Guitar Hero guitar any day.

Agreed. I like the clicking noise of the GH guitar when you know you strum. When I do those repetitive notes in Rock Band and use that guitar, I never know if I'm strumming it correctly or not unless I stare at the multiplier to see if it changes.

abcbadcat

After playing with the Rock Band guitar for a few days... you get used to it.

The strum bar is quiet and thats fine but the main buttons... I like the raised buttons of the GH controller more.

Oh well, it still works fine.

DJ_eclipse

omg the portal song Still Alive is gonna be in rockband! all i gotta say is holy shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQ4ZXX5Ft0&feature=related

abcbadcat

^ Yeah, my GF flipped when she heard that. She loves that song.

There really needs to be The Offspring, Reel Big Fish, and some more Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Kandybar

Super No 1

Quote from: cappeh on February 18, 2008, 03:01:29 PM

and also, is the rock band guitar easier to play than a GH guitar for anyone else? @___@

I like using the RB guitar.  I like the larger size of it.  It also helps on those special song endings because you can use both hands to tap those solo frets like a madman and score a massive amount of points.  Sometimes that can mean the difference when you want to go for five stars.
Nergene A.
-super-no1.com - (Owner)
-J!-ENT - (Staff Photographer)
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

M

Quote from: Super No 1 on February 26, 2008, 08:00:52 PMSometimes that can mean the difference when you want to go for five stars.
I thought that the ending sections (where you have to just hit notes) didn't count towards your star ratings. I've never seen my star rating go up during that section.