Victorian Romance Emma

Started by mDuo13, June 16, 2007, 12:00:17 PM

mDuo13

I'm shocked to see there's no thread for this series so far. It's seriously good stuff. I'm only 5 episodes through the first season so far, but I'm working my way up as fast as I can manage.

The major characters are all pretty cool (Hakim is such a pimp), but the minor characters in this series are not to be underestimated. Also, the flashback-young version of Kelly Stowner is quite cute, and 15-year-old Emma is really adorable. Am I right, or am I right?

Also, if second season is really "like drinking a red bull" compared to "drinking tea" then the second season is going to be crazy because I'm all over the first season already.

Can't wait to see some character rankings and whatnot. I'm not far enough into the series to make up my mind.

LastElixir

YESU!

(that's all you need)

j

Tsubasa

Quote from: "mDuo13"I'm shocked to see there's no thread for this series so far.
That's cause I was the only one watching it until, like, a month ago. XD;

Emma is so~ good.

Character rankings?  I'll consider that.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Jun-Watarase

I considered watching the first season during release, but had no time and procrastinated up until now. I'm going to wait until the 2nd season is nearly finished, so by the time I finish the first, I can pick up a batch file.

I've heard good word of it. No one really complained about this series, as far as I know, other than it is slow-paced-- but I understand this is its appeal?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LastElixir

It's slow-paced, but you always get thrown into an eye of a storm... everything may seem subtle, but the hurricane is always there and may poke out at any time. It is intense, very intense.

j

mDuo13

Season 1, Episode 07, 16:26
I laughed so hard, my mom came in to check what the fuss was about.

mDuo13

Finished Season 1. Amazing. Watched ep 00 of season 2 already, also. But before I get started on the real deal, something I found:

I can't tell if it's supposed to be "about" or "a lot", but either way, it's not quite right. So apparently William makes mistakes in his letters!

Also, a second little goodie from the anime.

LastElixir

Sunara Ishi

Finished 1st season... my reasons for not watching it during release was pretty much the same as jun's.

It was good though I found some of it predictable... though it also didn't turn out exactly as I predicted.
(I thought Emma would be named Kelly's heir and thus get a higher status. T.T.)
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

PyronIkari

I love Emma for the fact that it's based so much on the time period. Not just as a setting, but as the world. The logical reasonings and choices of people are dictated by the world they live in, over what they feel as people. Most of the actions and events that take place, could only take place in such a setting. I loved the ending to Season 1, and although I enjoy Season 2, it cheapened the impact that S1 gave with it's ending.

Emma is supposed to be the shining example of the time period, but she breaks character in S2. She starts to act more human, and I haven't decided whether or not I like this, or dislike it. The character I seem to like the most, is William's brother. He feels as if, he doesn't belong in the time, but understands and recognizes that he is, so he does what he has to, but only what he has to.  Hans, on the other hand is someone I want to like, but I haven't found a good reason as to yet. He's just like Emma in that he is an amazing representation of what his character is in that time period. He only broke character once so far.

The story itself is rather predictable and simple hearted, but it's interesting to see the small actions of each character. Or mostly... to see how retarded Will is.

mDuo13

I don't agree with you on all points, PyronIkari, but I can see the essence of what you're saying. For example, I really liked the reasoning Mrs. Stowner used for hiring Emma. It was very much a product of 1800s England, in the sense that few people before or after that time period would care enough to make such a gesture.

Sunara Ishi

るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

LastElixir

just watched ep 10, it just gets crazier and crazier. aghhh such a teaser.

j

Lisu

Oh btw, if some of you haven't hit up the second act ost:

http://tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=76677

oh, and: intense!

I sort of feel bad for Hans....not sure when his 'break of character' is as stated earlier, but I imagine is at the park.  The one time he opens up he's shot down.....that'll teach him...I guess?

LastElixir

Quote from: "Lisu"Oh btw, if some of you haven't hit up the second act ost:

http://tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=76677

oh, and: intense!

I sort of feel bad for Hans....not sure when his 'break of character' is as stated earlier, but I imagine is at the park.  The one time he opens up he's shot down.....that'll teach him...I guess?

thanks for the link, DLing at 540k feels pretty good.

j

mDuo13

ep 10?! Jeez, I just finished ep 1 this morning. I don't even have past 7 downloaded - there are no subs! Heck, I can't even find raws for 10 on Tosho.

LastElixir

Quote from: "mDuo13"ep 10?! Jeez, I just finished ep 1 this morning. I don't even have past 7 downloaded - there are no subs! Heck, I can't even find raws for 10 on Tosho.

came out yesterday night i think... i managed to grab it this morning over winny. :)

j

Sunara Ishi

Emma makes me feel like working hard... XD
She's kinda inspirational.

Anyone else feel that way?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

mDuo13

Just watched episode 4. At one point, I was seriously saying out loud, "WHAAAT?!" over and over again because, well, wow. I can see how it happened, but oh god, it's just so terrible.
Quote from: "Spoiler"I basically have just lost any and all respect I had for William, because it used to be that he was true to his feelings, resolute and confident even if it seemed like a bad idea, but after proposing to Eleanor, of all things, he's just become a wishy-washy loser. I mean, really, even though Eleanor is stupidly patient and loyal with him, it just cannot work out between them while Emma still lives. Ugh, I used to think they were both kind of cutely innocent and all, but really, they're both such idiots, setting themselves up for such a terrible crash, and knowing it all the while! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Oh yeah, Mrs. Trollope is kind of neat.

EDIT: Okay, I'm caught up to ep 8. (Man, I had this post typed up last night... so why did it take so long to post it?)
Quote from: "Spoiler"I've developed even more respect for Aurelia over the past couple episodes. She's not only mysterious, she's cute (even at her age!), she's reasonable and intelligent, very kind and understanding, and any faults she has, I feel sorry for her more than anything else. As for Eleanor, she was so naive and honest that William really hurt her, but I really, really hope she'll mature and move on, rather than becoming a vindictive bitch and hating Emma instead. Oh well, just gotta look forward to more.

Sunara Ishi

I do agree... They are idiots... but aren't we all when it comes to love? -.-;

Anyway rankings...

Girls:
1. Monica
2. The harim
3. Emma
4. Ms. Trollope
5. Mrs. Molders
6. Eleanor
7. Kelly Stowner

Adele is also pretty cool. So is the red haired maid and the clumsy one...
(Its so hard to decide. @.@ They could practically all be at 1... T.T I kinda relate to eleanor... we all know why... >.>; This ranking will likely change with time)

Guys:

1. Hakim
2. Hans
3. Al

hmm... I wonder if anyone has any fan pairings yet...
I like Monica + Hakim. XP
I think Eleanor + Hans would be cute.. XP
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O