Fanime Speed Dating 2008

Started by Zorya, July 17, 2007, 06:48:55 PM

Zorya

This a potentially very bad idea, but as long as people sign some sort of "No Rape" waiver, I think this could be a way to join some of the lonely people at Fanime with the Guy/Girl/Fairy/Box of Pocky of their dreams . . .

Non-heterosexuals may want to leave now and organize their own threads, because this doesn't really work for same-sex speed dating, sorry.

Basically, what I'm thinking is, we have an equal number of guys and girls register for this sort of an event, and then set up a bunch of chairs and tables in a circle.
The girls sit in a circle and talk to whatever guy is in front of them deciding whether they like them or not. The guys move from chair to chair every three minutes. If they decide they like each other, they can exchange contact information before the guy moves on.

All parties agreeing to such a system would have to agree that by participating they clear Fanime, the people involved, etc. of any and all blame for anything that may result of the event.

But let's face it, a lot of people at Fanime would like to spend it with someone new.  :wink:

Comments/Constructive Criticism encouraged.

Zain

Quote from: "Zorya"...but as long as people sign some sort of "No Rape" waiver...
Wait a second. You mean I didn't sign one of those when I was born?

I'll be very busy for the next few days, then  :twisted:
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Zorya

Of course! No one is stopping you from doing whatever you want!

But the other part of that is, it can also happen to you . . . especially when you drop the soap in the showers at Buttsex County Jail . . .

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Zorya"Of course! No one is stopping you from doing whatever you want!

But the other part of that is, it can also happen to you . . . especially when you drop the soap in the showers at Buttsex County Jail . . .
...located in every freaking state in the USA! Have a nice day. :3
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

clawmaster

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Steve.Young

This has the potential to do great things, and yet at the same time to cause many problems.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jerry

again i would heavily stress on the common sense deceny here...

but then again with all fan boys and girls... well... thats out the window.  ::)

ppl have a tendancy tomake friends on their own.

as for dating and other activities... behind closed doors.

thats where we should leave it at that.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

AnimeEmperor

I love the idea, i'd even sign up for it if I didn't know i'd get rejected by a couple dozen women.

However if you're serious about setting me up with my dream pocky.....

~~Loktera~~

This seems like a potentially bad idea.

Yet.. I am intrigued... Proceed.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Crazy_Saiko

Quote from: ~~Loktera~~ on October 27, 2007, 10:35:00 AM

as expected
<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Crazy_Saiko on October 27, 2007, 12:48:00 PM
Quote from: ~~Loktera~~ on October 27, 2007, 10:35:00 AM

as expected
this is a bad idea, which is why i'm not taking part of it; i don't need to anymore...i found my girl :)
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Chloe

Hah, sometimes people do find the one they like at Fanime.  Either by meeting them for the first time, or by a friend.  Practically, it can happen however!  Although Speed Dating would bring them all together, it seems like they could just be made without it as well.  I met my boyfriend at Fanime through a game tournament, and  how things happened, it all turned out great!  But, all in all, I agree wit everyone that this could potentially be a bad idea, but you never know until you try it.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Asa_Gohan

I wouldnt mind this...I r teh lonely and no one wubs me TT3TT

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

BrightHeart76

I am perpetually single (big surprise)...but even so I'd be a bit nervous to try this.  This kind of thing can go badly...and we're all going to be in the same place for the whole weekend.  I don't vote against the idea...I'm just not sure I'd take part in it.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Makou

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on October 29, 2007, 02:36:30 AM
I wouldnt mind this...I r teh lonely and no one wubs me TT3TT

Ooooooh, Asa-Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Jk, jk. I swear.

I don't think much of the speed dating idea, but hey, it's worth a shot.

StrawberryNeko

There's a immense amount of minor attendees that go to this con. You might want to be careful with this idea.

MonkeyRikku

This does have potential to work if you plan it out a bit better than you have thus far.

Like StrawberryNeko said, there's some minors attending, so you might want people to show an ID proving they are at least 17 (thats the official consensual age in most courts of California). Also, you may want to consider the information sharing after the talking, like they do with SD on tv. girls get cards, rate the guys (on things like cleanliness or whatever they want), if the rating is high there is info shared, simple.

you'd also have to decide which gender you would prefer to have seated and which you would prefer to move. I also recommend doing this later on in the day as to deter any younger kids or random spectators from watching like participants are in a zoo.

which we really are.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

clawmaster

good ideas and anyaslis on this whole idea. yea later in the day so all the kiddies will be back in their rooms or hotels and maybe have 1 for jst 18 and up. that way we can have (the people participant in it) show their ID showing that they are 18 and in a room where no kiddies can watch

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

gmontem

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for me to get more cosplay pics if they're in cosplay!  :o
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

DemonLordZabuza

Hmmm, speed dating...speed and dating never mixed well with me...but anywho thats besides the point.

The idea of helping people interact with strangers in a control environment is very fun.  Remember kids first impression count the most.  But  if I may I would like to throw a suggestion.  I know that many guys have their special anime girl they like and the same goes for girls they have there special anime boy they like.  My suggestion is if you can get enough people to do it, have like a special theme session were either all the guys or girls participating are cosplaying as one character.  But just a random idea.  But over all I say this is a good idea, some people are shy to talking to strangers so this will give them a chance to find someone awesome or just gain courage to talk to more random strangers.  And friends coming out of this is always a good thing :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me