Fanime Speed Dating 2008

Started by Zorya, July 17, 2007, 06:48:55 PM

xRaMeNx117

Quote from: RanyouSaotome on December 09, 2007, 07:49:31 AM
There are alot of pros and cons on this matter so because it does have the possibility of going south if it were speed dating so to speak... There is another similar idea... like for example.... Fanime Friends Finding Friends. This is basicly the same idea BUT  putting it up as friends so that Fanime does not take initial responsibility IF said new friends become more so.  ;)  Once they meet as friends what they do after is tween them.
   Maybe I got the whole concept wrong on this speed dating but this is my two cents. The way I see it is if you got an idea put it out on the table.

I think that a good idea. A fanime friend finder speed thingy o.0 I've been attending fanime for 2 years, I go with my girlfriend and group of friends, and I like to meet kool new people who enjoy the same thing I do games manga etc. This can be a good way to make things easier for people who are shy to just go up to random people and conversate. And if things end up in people "hooking up" then the con and the people who run it are not responsible because its a friend finding service thingy. I think that that's one of the big draws for attending a con to meet like minded people. I would like to help make this happen.
XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

JohnnyAR

oh oh have speed dating for teens? nah that wouldn't be a good idea

FanFicGuru

Maybe run it after 10 PM and have an 18+ check like with the hentai rooms.

Doing it with members under 18 is really...really kinda dumb. Especially if the one that they like came from far away or a city or two over. Boo hoo teenage heartache long distance relationship and a bunch of drama that wasn't really necessary.

Granted, 18+ dating games may be the same way, but at least it's more likely to be addressed seriously then "We'll email each other every day! T_T"

Could be fun. Just don't toss in minors.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

rude32

Has anyone tried to get this approved yet, because this is an excellent idea. Considering the fact thats its January, we should try to get this going asap. The sooner we find out whether this can actually happen or not, the sooner we can get to work on it. Fanime is right around the corner. ;D
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Tur713

Hey, if it doesn't work out I'm also working on this. Who knows, maybe we'll get both going.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

THEBROTHERHOOD_CEO

i think it is an excellent idea.  Fanime is a place where people of similar interest converge and celebrate one shared love - anime.  and people who like anime tend to like the same things and have compatible personality.  If we can siphon out those who are spoken for by having a speed dating venue, and actually condition people to not have rejection be that big a deal.

I disagree with the characterization of con goers as somehow inhuman.  Some are, yes, but when they face the deterrent of having the cops called and their badge stripped, they will ease off and slink back to the dark moldy corner of the hentai room they came from.

I think that restricting this to people 18 and older though as a precaution would be a prudent course of action.

ohayo_sunshine

I'd actually hope to see this happen.
I mean, going to Fanime = common interest.
Plus, how cool is it to say "Hey guys (who think I'm a complete nerd for going to fanime). I just made 6854321352468 friends and probably have met more girls/boys than you have in your lifetime."

xshengflipx

make a session for like 16 year old people too..  :-X
i like the idea of speed dating!
but do we have to cosplay to participate in this if
it actually happens?? :[[[[[
i mean set up rules and limitations...

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: xshengflipx on January 22, 2008, 05:55:43 PM

The problem with a session for 16yrs old...where there is two problems.

-First off parents.  If the parents find out and they don't approve, well fanime gets in trouble.
-Second, to my surprise a lot of people who go to fanime do not have a valid ID (state issued ID, drivers Licence, military, etc).  Pretty much something that says how old you are.  Yes to an extent school ID's would work to saying who you are but not necesaraly how old.

The thing about cosplay was just an idea thrown out there to add a little spunk to the fun.

I'm not condoning not to have 16yr old speed "dating", we just have to find a way to get parental approval.  And wavier forms I'm not to supported off because come on, I've sign my parents signature multiple times :P...yes I was a bad kid growing up

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

rude32

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 08:20:51 AM

-First off parents.  If the parents find out and they don't approve, well fanime gets in trouble.
-Second, to my surprise a lot of people who go to fanime do not have a valid ID (state issued ID, drivers Licence, military, etc).  Pretty much something that says how old you are.  Yes to an extent school ID's would work to saying who you are but not necesaraly how old.

The thing about cosplay was just an idea thrown out there to add a little spunk to the fun.

I'm not condoning not to have 16yr old speed "dating", we just have to find a way to get parental approval.  And wavier forms I'm not to supported off because come on, I've sign my parents signature multiple times :P...yes I was a bad kid growing up
Even some good kids out there have forged there parents signature. I"m not saying I was a good kid, but I knew a few that have pulled that move off.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

caskaslyrk

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 14, 2008, 04:08:19 PM
Maybe run it after 10 PM and have an 18+ check like with the hentai rooms.

Doing it with members under 18 is really...really kinda dumb. Especially if the one that they like came from far away or a city or two over. Boo hoo teenage heartache long distance relationship and a bunch of drama that wasn't really necessary.

Granted, 18+ dating games may be the same way, but at least it's more likely to be addressed seriously then "We'll email each other every day! T_T"

Could be fun. Just don't toss in minors.

HaHa..interesting idea...definately no minors cause I would be put in jail...hahaha  I am 24, but I saw a singled out type thing at AX a few years ago and the winners got some dvd's and stuff...it was really fun to play and there was a large turnout.  Speed dating may be fun...but would you go into a specific group...like boy/ boy..girl/boy...girl/girl...or a mix of everyone?

xshengflipx

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 08:20:51 AM

who didn't forge?? lololol. anyways...
yeah, i'm sure my parents would be okay, since there's security at fanime..
but i never see the security... :[[[[
I agree with the id. But maybe that should be a rule then: must have a valid id to register
for speed dating. Mmmhm.

Emerge

interesting, to say the least...

i'd be up for it, albeit i'm a bit shy :-\

havok rt

I'd love to do this!!! Though trying to get an equal numbers of guys and gals together would be tough and what to do about minors? but if you set it up I will come.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

xRaMeNx117

I'm going in a group with about 4 guys so I guess we'll attend.
XBL GamerTag: xViciousxRamenx

caskaslyrk

ooh sounds fun  ;D  I definately would be kind of creeped out with speed dating and the older anime fans..LOL  me personally I am 25 and would definately want to see some ID..LoL  ::)
But let me know if it's going to happen...I am down.  It would be fun though with the 18+ hentai thing...but then would that be speed dating or speed something else..LOL

ultrazyn

out of town ladies tryna have a 1 night stand? who needs my #

Liquid

Quote from: ultrazyn on April 22, 2009, 12:43:48 PM
out of town ladies tryna have a 1 night stand? who needs my #

Epic Fail.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

idontknow

sorry but i'm not gonna read all the posts on this forum ^^;; but here's my insight ...

i myself think it's has its pros and cons. pros being that you can meet new people and cons ... well, the cons outweigh the pros pretty much.

i think a much better idea (i say better, not good) idea would be a date auction. and the money from the date auction will go to fanime or even to a charity of the person's choice. and yeah ... the "date" location would be at the fanime ball. i think it'll be a cute idea like, some fan girl can buy L or tuxedo mask or whoever is up for auction.

of course, the cons would still outweigh the pros. and comparing to speed dating, i don't think someone would wanna pay for a date (except an otaku) and you would still have to go through all the other stuff like legal age, people that participate "as a joke", etc

plus, i think it would be easier to find someone more compatible for you (friend or "more than friends") through speed dating

oh gosh i think i just contradicted myself. lol

Rhornez

i got a great idea lets change it to :

Fanime New Friend Finder
pro:get new friends
con:err i dunno rlly phone numbers and long distance pen pals maybe?
or you can do this still and make cards and people will fill in the type of friend you want you know like if you want a friend who loves pokeman or some other type of thing or type of music you like thing is
Con:16+ or 17+
cause next year im turning 17  :P

Been going to Fanime Since 2008