Website Critiques

Started by LadyKaren, July 25, 2007, 12:10:28 AM

Minagi-chan

Typo: Join Staff page, "responce" -> response
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

gem2niki

Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "GokuMew2"I apologize if I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I don't like the new layout. It's so pink and girly.
That is NOT pink and girly......THIS IS.  :D

Woah! What happened to Hello Kitty! XD
http://kuruta.net
Fanime Artist Pool since 2006

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "gem2niki"
Quote from: "astroboy"
Quote from: "GokuMew2"I apologize if I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I don't like the new layout. It's so pink and girly.
That is NOT pink and girly......THIS IS.  :D

Woah! What happened to Hello Kitty! XD

They brought her to fanime and let her throw up on the website :3

j/k j/k
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

BunofGovt

I just managed to get on to the forums, kept getting an error message.  When I looked at the new site, I did think I was on the Sakura Con site at first.

I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff and I realize it's still early for a lot of news to be posted, but I think I prefer a simpler looking site.  The rectangles on the right aren't dropping their menus right away when I move my cursor over them (whoa, that sounded dirty just then  :oops: ).

What does "Professional" refer to?  I don't remember that from previous years.  Will a new rectangle be added when registration is up?

Here's girly for ya. (if the image is too big, mods please change it back to a link, thanks, sorry!)

Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Chun

It looks like it came off of a 99' geocities page.

Grey borders, bitty outlining of character at left, just in general not professional looking. You'd think this was an event coming out of a high school auditorium rather than a big convention center deal. Not to mention most of the drop down frame data, and fonting looks as plain as a MLA formatted essay.

Frames = lose

IF you're going to use a sakura theme, use actual flower full images than static generic border plants. Make more imagery than just the woodwork around the text. Seeing Grey anywhere on the page when it's a spring flower theme: Fail. However if this will be fixed then do not consider this.

Right now, it doesn't give any sort of pro-feel. Not at all. Something of 2007's format would be beneficial, or something a bit more abstract/direct.

http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/top.html

Is an example of an extreme abstract.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

FinalShadows

Site is great, we're going to have an interesting theme for '08 i see :P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

mDuo13

I think you can improve the site while working within the current theme. I might go a little more minimalist with the borders and edges, and use a little more navy and maroon to counterbalance all that pink, though.

Minagi-chan

I don't really understand why on the navigation bar, when you go to click on the word (Events, Staff, Location etc.) only half of what appears to be the link reacts.  Maybe it's just the way Safari percieves it, but for a while I was thinking they were broken.
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

astroboy

Quote from: "BunofGovt"...The rectangles on the right aren't dropping their menus right away when I move my cursor over them (whoa, that sounded dirty just then  :oops: ).
That's actually a very valid complaint. I've noticed that too. In fact I've tried playing a game to see if I could "sneak up" on one of the buttons without dropping their menu and I'm actually getting good at it too! (whoa that's sounds even more dirty :twisted:    )

2nd problem - what's wrong with this?

Notice the drop down menu for "Events" is covering the button for "Staff"?
You should have complete access to the (1st level buttons) at all times even if another button drops its menu.
Technically I'm not sure if there's a firm rule that dictates this so I could be wrong.

Overall I really like the new site. 8)

M

Quote from: "astroboy"That's actually a very valid complaint. I've noticed that too. In fact I've tried playing a game to see if I could "sneak up" on one of the buttons without dropping their menu and I'm actually getting good at it too! (whoa that's sounds even more dirty :twisted:    )

2nd problem - what's wrong with this?
http://yunnie.org/forums/2007menu.JPG
Notice the drop down menu for "Events" is covering the button for "Staff"?
You should have complete access to the (1st level buttons) at all times even if another button drops its menu.
Technically I'm not sure if there's a firm rule that dictates this so I could be wrong.

Overall I really like the new site. 8)
Upon mouseout, the sub-menu should roll up, granting access to the main menu. You can have sub-menus blocking the main menu, just an easy to access a blocked menu option.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

phoenixphire24

My only compaint is about the menu bars not working very well (see above) and that the forum link doesn't work. I really like the theme.

Sachiko

:( Okay, I'm not entirely fond of the current layout so far for the website either. It's a huge step down from the 2007 layout. I'll try to be constructive about this...

While I give credit to it for trying to be thematical --and we can keep that theme--, it really has no specific design to back it up other than the borrowed sakura background for borders and the rotating cropped images of characters. Times New Roman, while suitable for print,  isn't exactly a font to use for a professional looking website. And finally, at the moment, the website is not browser friendly. The menu displays at the bottom rather than on the side, yet even like that it's still not really much of a "design". In the end, it's 3/4 layout and 1/4 window for content. Too much unnecessary space... Overall, it doesn't look customized (too generic for a con website) and professional at all.

But seeing it's a beta version at the moment, I sincerely look it will improve further on in the year. >_<
~*~Sachiko

Eri

Honestly, I was excited when I first saw the page up. I started clapping my hands and generally squealing like a little girl >.>

I think the site is a little too pink. Since the theme is Feudal Japan, there are a lot more colors to work with..

The menu layout is awkward. There are a lot of good suggestions on this, so I won't comment further..

But, it's really sounding as if this year is going to be awesome. I just can't believe I can't make it this year :(
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Kyokun

Quote from: "Eri"
I think the site is a little too pink. Since the theme is Feudal Japan, there are a lot more colors to work with..

The menu layout is awkward. There are a lot of good suggestions on this, so I won't comment further..
Oh, yes, now that I know the theme is Feudal Japan, the site is a bit pink for that.  I thought the theme was more Summer Festivals.  

For Feudal Japan, I would think darker, earthier tones would be better.

And I agree, the scrolling needs to be smoother and less awkward.

Looking forward to PreReg going up!

Kyokun

chanocular

when i clicked on the link to the forums the first time, it brought me to

http://www.fanime.com/events/www.forums.fanime.com

maybe it was the drop down menu. overlapping thing.

lawlszlzlalwlz :lol:

Omg...fanime is sooo close now. :o

lyricaldanichan

I understand this is a negative comment, but I think the feel of the website is going the wrong direction in style. It looks too much like a fan website then a professional convention one. I can't put my finger on it, but it does not look appealing at all especially the pink colors.. ugh

JMO

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "LadyKaren"So with being in the hospital, I know the Website has a lot of errors, and I already know some of them, but in case I don't, I'm leaving it to the dedicated forum members to find the mistakes in Fanime 2008 Beta verson 1.0!

Also, If you'd like to make a comment about it, please use this space too.
Though I warn you, if all you have to say is negitive, I'm expecting you to turn in your portfolio to me to design next year's site.

In any case, Please feel free to comment about the website and help me out by getting to work better while I'm still recovering.

Okay, I would like to make a few comments on the new web site.  While it's been a few years since I've designed a web site and I hate anyone telling me that they don't like my designs, I’m doing this from a users stand point.

1. If you hit the HOME on the first page it goes to 404 error message, the tag for the page is not set correctly, is my best guess.  Funny thing is that works on the other pages, just not the first (HOME) page.

2.  I can't find the link to the registration page for 2008 and to the Hotel Registration Page from the HOME page.  Nothing ticks me (as a user) off more than having to dig through a site to find the Registration or Hotel pages.  There should be links off the HOME page for them, since they will be the most used link, probably after the FORUMS link.

3. On the LOCATION tag, if you highlight it, there are two huge black slots after Facilities where it looks like there should be something there, but there is nothing.

4. On the CONTACT Page, at the bottom, there is a snail mail address for 2007 inquiries, shouldn't that be 2008?

5. On a personal note, I'm finding it difficult to navigate the site, the color (pink) is killing my eyes.  Than maybe it's just my old eyes...

6. The URL for FORUMS from the HOME page has the same issue that has been noted in previous posts.  However, on any other page it works fine.  Weird.  

7. The LOCATION page main box has nothing listed in it, it’s just blank.

8. On the LOCATION page for HOTEL, you have the following information “Keep Standing by for more infomation regarding hotels near by and discounts offered by Fanime Con!”.  Information is misspelled.  I’m thinking that you might want to try something like “FanimeCon will be using the same hotels as last year, the Hilton, Marriott, St.Claire, Crowne and the Fairmont.  The Reservation system will be managed as in past years by CMR and should be coming on-line soon.”

9. On the LOCATION page for DIRECTIONS, you have the following information “By Car FanimeCon 2007 registration is located at the main Convention Center entrance, on San Carlos Blvd, off Highway 87.”  I would suggest changing the 2007 to 2008.

10. On the LOCATION page for FACILITY, you might want to put a link to the SJCCF web site, which should be http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/convention.php.

11. On the EVENTS pages for DEALERS, you have the following information “Hosted in a 50,000 square-foot room, FanimeCon's dealers room hosts a huge collection of anime and manga goods for your enjoyment. As the convention nears, check back to see what dealers will be at the convention and when the dealers room will be open for shopping.”  Can I suggest a rewording to “FanimeCon’s dealer’s room will use 50,000 square feet to host a wide variety of vendors offering up everything from classic to current releases in manga, everything in the way of collectibles for your anime needs, clothing ranging form t-shirt to corsets to Cosplay outfits, VHS to Blue Ray DVD’s and wide selection of Japanese cultural snack foods.  Very soon our dealer’s liaison will be posting the current confirmed vendors and their locations in the hall, along their operating hours.  So, please come back soon.”

12.  On the EVENTS page for FANIME MUSIC VIDEOS, can I ask why you would be pointing them back to the 2007 page?  Wouldn’t it be better to to import from 2007 the material for 2008?

13. On the EVENTS page for MUSIC FEST, “Coming Soon” could be replaced with “FanimeCon's MusicFest is an annual festival of music featuring artists from or influenced by Japan. It will be held on <input dates> at FanimeCon in San Jose.

MusicFest is about music. We're not just about anime, we're not just about a certain sound, and we're not just about indy bands or chart-topping acts. MusicFest is simply about providing a venue for Japanese musicians to get their work out to a receptive audience. Japanese music is growing rapidly and MusicFest serves as a port for these artists to connect with US fans.

History
MusicFest debuted in 2004 with the impressive lineup of The Beautiful Losers, Nami Tamaki, Camino, Duel Jewel, and BLOOD. 2005 featured Maria Yamamoto, Ramen & Rice, Kumiko Kato, and ZZ. The biggest MusicFest to date, featuring 11 artists on two stages, followed in 2006 and included akaiSKY, GOOFY STYLE, Kamijo, Miami, mothercoat, POPLAR, RothChilde, Swinging Popsicle, UP HOLD, and USA Musume”

I stole the whole thing from 2007 and did a little rewording...

14. On the PROFESSIONAL page, you listed the word business in a non-capitalized fashion, but than you listed the word profession with a capitalized first letter.  Okay, I admit that I’m not the right person to make comments on grammar or structure, but that doesn’t seem right to me.  What other information would be coming for pros’ or business, other than what you have listed already on the page?

15. On the STAFF page, the opener is “Fanime is undergoing all new departments and divisions this year to help make this year better. Come back to see the departments and divisions and all the behind the scenes work so you might be interested so you can make Fanime "For the Fans, By the Fans".  Might I suggest the following “FanimeCon is undergoing a major shift in the organizational structure to better serve you.  In the near future we will be posting the new divisions and departments and we need your help in making 2008 the best year ever, so come and join the ‘behind the scenes’ excitement and be part of the “For the Fans, By the Fans”.

I'm sure by now that you are ready to kill me, but again, I'm just looking at it as a user and nothing else.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

pockystix

The website seems kind of rushed. I'd rather have the old site/countdown up temporarily until the new site is polished. It's only like 4 months after Fanime, afterall.
New sn = Meirin

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "pockystix"The website seems kind of rushed. I'd rather have the old site/countdown up temporarily until the new site is polished. It's only like 4 months after Fanime, afterall.

I second this thought.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave