Panel and Workshop Suggestions 2008

Started by fullmetalneko, July 28, 2007, 07:38:50 PM

BunofGovt

I would LOVE a panel on cosplay skits also, AND then a follow-up on
Stage Zero for those who want a chance to put into practice what they learned in the panel.  If the panel were held early Saturday and then let those interested in performing, sign up for a Stage Zero performance on either Saturday afternoon or Sunday (I'm assuming anyone attending the panel will not have signed up for Masquerade and not have to go to rehearsals or something on Sunday  :shock: )?  The SZ performance could be limited to 30 seconds (don't laugh, that is a long time, 20 seconds is a long time for beginners), and maybe limit the sign-ups to 10 people/groups or fewer.

I'm not trying to take away from the Masquerade, but I think getting a chance to use knowledge you've just gained could be very helpful.  Plus maybe someone from the panel could help critique/give advice on the skit.  This would actually put the panel information into action.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Asa_Gohan

Im thinking of hosting an amtgard panel.  However there are only a couple things I am worried about.  First off amtgard is basically larping and show some of the basics to fighting.  And the only thing Im worried about is well...how should I put it...will they allow people to beat each other up with foam swords?

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "Asa_Gohan"Im thinking of hosting an amtgard panel.  However there are only a couple things I am worried about.  First off amtgard is basically larping and show some of the basics to fighting.  And the only thing Im worried about is well...how should I put it...will they allow people to beat each other up with foam swords?

Probably not, LARPing = good!  It has been tossed around in the past with doing a con LARP like a few other cons did in the old days.  But beating each other with whack-a-noodles would probably end bad.  ^^;;
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Asa_Gohan

there are of course rules and what not though.  You dont just beat each other senseless xD  And Amtgard is safety first so yeah.  There are no head or neck shots so as long as people arent looking to hit that it should be safe.  Plus the swords are pretty safe to hit each other with if 9 year olds play. xD

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Asa_Gohan"Im thinking of hosting an amtgard panel.  However there are only a couple things I am worried about.  First off amtgard is basically larping and show some of the basics to fighting.  And the only thing Im worried about is well...how should I put it...will they allow people to beat each other up with foam swords?

Okay, this intrigued me enough to google 'amtgard' and find out what it is.  I think I'd want to attend a panel on this so I hope you are able to go through with it.  I remember back in high school taking fencing lessons.  Some of the members of the class went on to hold a human chess game and dressed in medieval garb (the knights or some of the pieces had swords, too, on campus  :shock: ).

mpu

Myself and a few others would like to take on the responsibility of running the first yuri panel, if that would be alright/wanted/approved. :3

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "Asa_Gohan"there are of course rules and what not though.  You dont just beat each other senseless xD  And Amtgard is safety first so yeah.  There are no head or neck shots so as long as people arent looking to hit that it should be safe.  Plus the swords are pretty safe to hit each other with if 9 year olds play. xD

There are many issues with having an event like this.  Sadly an event like this couldn't be run on the honor system.  Not on the people that would run it, but the people who would attend it.  Since one bored person could ruin the whole fun for everyone.  This is something that i would be worried about in this situation.
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "mpu"Myself and a few others would like to take on the responsibility of running the first yuri panel, if that would be alright/wanted/approved. :3

I know that previously Fanime had tried to have some Yuri content in the line up.  So we will keep you in mind.  They might have things lined up, I'm not sure yet.  @_@
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Asa_Gohan

Quote from: fullmetalneko on September 02, 2007, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: Asa_Gohanthere are of course rules and what not though.  You dont just beat each other senseless xD  And Amtgard is safety first so yeah.  There are no head or neck shots so as long as people arent looking to hit that it should be safe.  Plus the swords are pretty safe to hit each other with if 9 year olds play. xD

There are many issues with having an event like this.  Sadly an event like this couldn't be run on the honor system.  Not on the people that would run it, but the people who would attend it.  Since one bored person could ruin the whole fun for everyone.  This is something that i would be worried about in this situation.
Well again, you could always check it out at Dundra Con since that is also where a panel will be held or ask some of the people there about the panel itself.  And if what the main problem is, is someone feeling left out and bored during the panel.  Ill try and make sure that everyone who attends the panel gets to participate and have fun. In addition Im going to try and make sure there is enough equipment so that everyone is able to play at once.

CabbitJay

I would like to see Damn the Internets! and Broccoli back for 2008.

Every year Fanime has some kind of theme.  I think it might be interesting to have a panel that talks about anime from that theme or what influence anime with that type of theme.

alkaline

Quote from: CabbitJay on October 25, 2007, 08:10:40 AM
I would like to see Damn the Internets! and Broccoli back for 2008.

Believe.

koella

I would really like to see a panel done by the creators/voice actors of RED vs BLUE (if they'd be interested)
It'd be cool to know how they make machinima videos and such

Punkbuster

Quote from: BunofGovt on July 29, 2007, 07:32:36 PM
The How to Wear a Kimono panel and the Shoes and Boots panel AGAIN, please.  Thank you.  Due to scheduling, I was not able to attend either.   :?

And more panels on cosplaying tips, demonstrations, etc.

Is it possible to get Katie Bair to do a panel on wigs, hair, or on her manga creation?  I missed her at SacAnime.
Omg, Katie is so awesome! I've been to one of her wig panels, and it seemed to encompass everything and not just wigs. It's like she's oozing cosplay/otaku knowledge from every pore. <3

neko ewen

I have a couple I'm considering putting on:

Japanese For Anime Fans: A friend of mine did this a few years back and it was a huge success. Basically a talk about the Japanese language, and what to expect if you're brave enough to try to learn it. During the weekend of the con I'll hopefully be graduating from SFSU with an M.A. in Japanese, and I actually have some stuff from the linguistics seminars I've taken that I can draw on.

Japanese Tabletop RPGs: I'm not sure how much interest there'd actually be, but I'd like to do a panel about the world of pen-and-paper RPGs from Japan. It's a teeny tiny niche hobby over there, but there are lots of really neat games. (Also, that new Night Wizard anime is based on an RPG of the same name).
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

fullmetalneko

Quote from: koella on October 25, 2007, 04:25:51 PM
I would really like to see a panel done by the creators/voice actors of RED vs BLUE (if they'd be interested)
It'd be cool to know how they make machinima videos and such

The Rooster Teeth Crew have been to Fanime a couple of times now.  Though I think last year there was something that a few of the main guys had to do that prevented them from attending.  Hopefully they have the free time to head back this year.  They are a great group of guys.
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Kava

I'm a bit late with getting on here to reply, and many thanks to fullmetalneko for keeping up with this better than I have. Wanted to reply to a few things here:

The Melty Blood panel that was on and then removed was cancelled by the panelist. As I recall, something came up last minute and so they had to cancel their plans for the panel. We'll be sure to try and contact them this year and let them know there was at least some interest in their panel on the boards and ask if they'd like to try again. ^-^

I can't vouch for their expertise in the game, but I'll definitely make sure we ask what kind of things they intend to do in the panel and perhaps refer them to the comments made in the board for ideas and tips.

The cosplay panels we had this last year were very popular, and we're definitely hoping to have them back, and to have more panels aimed at cosplay if we can get them.

There -are- plans to have more than one dance workshop this year. I won't say more than that right now, because I'm not sure how much the people planning it have said publicly. However, this is definitely in the works.

A panel on masquerade skits sound fabulous to me. Know anyone willing to design and put on one? I'm less sure about having them perform on Stage Zero, but it's worth considering.

Ahhh! I have some friends who are into amtgard. I'd love to see a panel on it. We have possible plans to have a boffer room this year, so maybe we could work something out regarding that if you're really interested in putting it on. I'm not yet certain if those plans will work out, so we'll see.

We had a lot of requests for more Yuri content this year, so a Yuri panel is a possibility. Depending on the content of the panel, you might need to make it an 18+ late night panel though. Have any ideas on what exactly you'd want to do?

Damn You Internets is definitely coming back. =) I think they've already got a web page up where they're brainstorming for ideas, and we've already discussed scheduling for them.

I haven't contacted Broccoli yet, but we're definitely inviting them to come back again.

The Japanese panels sound great - and you might even want to talk to tabletop games and see if they'd like to have a game or two at the con, perhaps after your panel sometime.

I do believe we had plans to have someone from Red vs Blue here last year and they cancelled out because something came up. We'd definitely love to have them back again and will be trying to make that happen.

Keep the ideas coming! The panel request forms should be going up on the website soon. ^-^
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Lizchan33

Quote from: BunofGovt on July 29, 2007, 07:32:36 PM
The How to Wear a Kimono panel and the Shoes and Boots panel AGAIN, please.  Thank you.  Due to scheduling, I was not able to attend either.   :?

And more panels on cosplaying tips, demonstrations, etc.

Is it possible to get Katie Bair to do a panel on wigs, hair, or on her manga creation?  I missed her at SacAnime.
If it's any help to let you know, I hosted the How to wear Kimonos Panel and plan on doing it again this coming year.

BunofGovt

Yay!  Um, since I missed the panel and therefore don't know what it included, would there be time afterwards for separate questions?  My friend purchased a light kimono from AX's summer festival.  Even though we found a book on wearing kimonos, we had some questions on how to tie it on her (like it's so long, where do we fold it and is it tied under the fold?  Or simply held in place by the obi?

Anyway, we'll save our questions for the panel next year!!

Lizchan33

Quote from: BunofGovt on November 18, 2007, 05:31:58 PM
Yay!  Um, since I missed the panel and therefore don't know what it included, would there be time afterwards for separate questions?  My friend purchased a light kimono from AX's summer festival.  Even though we found a book on wearing kimonos, we had some questions on how to tie it on her (like it's so long, where do we fold it and is it tied under the fold?  Or simply held in place by the obi?

Anyway, we'll save our questions for the panel next year!!
Well the panel last year didn't take anywhere as long as the allotted hour so there should be plenty of time for Q&A because that's what I was mostly hoping for.....
^_^;;;

EvilBunnyKid

This is what happened.  Last year my friend, Soysause Woman, and I, EvilBunny, went to a visual kei pannel, but the panel was canceled so we went up and started to play with the mics and talk to the people.  we sat there for over three hours talking to people that would come for the real panel but got us instead.  It was alot of fun.  We talked about anything the they wanted to and quite a few people came in.  We had so much fun that we went to con ops and asked the panel director if we could hold panels for any canceled ones, and he said YES.  so we did one more after that and talked for only an hour because the next panel was about to start.  We earned the nick name, Panel Imposters!!!  It was a great way to meet new people and we got to talk about what we really wanted to, so this year soysauce woman and I will ask again if we are able to!!  Everyone who joined us were really happy about being able to talk about what they wanted to.  I think it sounds like a great idea.  What do you think?