Anime Cafe.

Started by PeppstaR, August 27, 2007, 08:30:19 PM

PeppstaR

Well, my brother and I are turning this coffee shop that we bought into an anime themed cafe. So far, we started putting up some anime posters, art and some garage kits.

Ideas ahead are some screens to play anime but that's if I can scrape the money for this project (T_T)

Anyways, I was wondering what other things that  people would like to see in there. Suggestions?

oh yeah, and there's free wi-fi for customers and I'm gonna get the usb wi-fi adapter to allow Nintendo DS' to connect easier  :wink:
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

Chun

From a customer standpoint, if you simply have just some art up, some food, and screening, more than likely your target audience will have very little to do.

If you had some sort of weekly events, such as game tournaments, drawings/lots for prizes, and general activity in there, then it would be pretty set. Also don't forget to start with a "Grand Opening" price scaling.

Depending on the size of the shop, you can have some sort of "recent anime" going on in the background. Nothing kills an animation ambience then to show the same stuff people have seen over and over again on network television.

Hope it helps a little.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

PeppstaR

cool thanks. btw- we're adding crepes to the menu too :D

Events are something the we've talked about before too. Running the shop at the moment is quite a handful especially since I have to run AG Art Studios at the same time. So event planning is pretty hard to do right now. Maybe once we are done with more of the remodeling this can become more of a reality. Events would be great also because we have a pretty good amount of seating and we have an area with a couple couches that we want to trade out for bigger ones. That way, anime clubs and such can have get togethers.

As for anime being played in the background, well I would like to play new fansubs but I'm not sure how some ppl will take that. I might contact some folks like ADV and Viz Media (only examples off the top of my head) for some sneak peek eps of up coming series.
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

alkaline

Where is this going to be located? I ask because I know that at least Viz is in the area, so yeah, showing fansubs and whatnot probably wouldn't be a good idea. Still, I'm sure if you email some folks, show them pictures of the place when its ready and they wouldn't mind kicking you over some free DVDs to promote.

Anyway, I approve of the idea. We need more nerdy shops in the bay :D

Spiritsnare

We need an address for a gathering. >D
epic progressive

vox

PeppstaR

Quote from: "alkaline"Where is this going to be located? I ask because I know that at least Viz is in the area, so yeah, showing fansubs and whatnot probably wouldn't be a good idea. Still, I'm sure if you email some folks, show them pictures of the place when its ready and they wouldn't mind kicking you over some free DVDs to promote.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Viz. I know they're local.  :D
We're in San Bruno, CA on San Mateo Ave. The shop is called Never Too Latte. It was a pre-existing coffee shop that we took over and now we are converting over to our anime theme. We also want to promote other art as well, for example we have some stuff posted up from a local Photographer up right now. We are slowly breaking in the locals to our anime theme (don't want to freak them out right away :wink: )

oh and here's some info for now:
www.nevertoolatte.biz
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "PeppstaR"
Quote from: "alkaline"Where is this going to be located? I ask because I know that at least Viz is in the area, so yeah, showing fansubs and whatnot probably wouldn't be a good idea. Still, I'm sure if you email some folks, show them pictures of the place when its ready and they wouldn't mind kicking you over some free DVDs to promote.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Viz. I know they're local.  :D
We're in San Bruno, CA on San Mateo Ave. The shop is called Never Too Latte. It was a pre-existing coffee shop that we took over and now we are converting over to our anime theme. We also want to promote other art as well, for example we have some stuff posted up from a local Photographer up right now. We are slowly breaking in the locals to our anime theme (don't want to freak them out right away :wink: )

oh and here's some info for now:
www.nevertoolatte.biz

Oohh thanks for the url. :3 I will check it out. This sounds awesome. Are you guys going to be hiring anytime soon? I need the extra income lol
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Barnes

It looks close to the San Bruno Caltrain.
Cool. I should visit sometime.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Sunara Ishi

It probably seems a very obvious idea, but you can also have manga (japanese or american) and anime related magazines for customers to read.

In case you get customers bringing in children with them (-.-;), you can always give outline drawings of anime characters and crayons. (Though keep the kids and their crayons away from the other books)

As for the other books, you may just want to have a policy that if the customer damages a book, he/she buys it. Because books full of coffee stains, crayon marks, etc. are really annoying.

You could have cosplay days. Perhaps every month or so, there's a day where either one of the employees are in cosplay or they all are. Probably more cost efficient for just one.

Maybe also for an opening promo/ special promo days.... you can give away goodies to customers for buying something (or a specific item)... It could be something like a keychain/cell phone strap.

Maybe you could also arrange with Viz or another company to give out sample manga.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

PyronIkari

I wouldn't count on any company giving you free support, and if anything, you'll be paying companies money. You realize, anything you're showing in your cafe, you're going to have to pay licensing fees to the respective company right? Otherwise, it's illegal.

There's a whoooooooole crap load of other things as well you have to take care of.

You want real advice? Get a lawyer, and see what you can/cannot do.

PeppstaR

yeah, fansubs is a bad idea. as for playing anime, I know that Blowfish Sushi in SF used to play anime but have music playing and the anime muted.

As for free stuff from companies, maybe. ADV has been making first episodes of new series free online. Like they had Xenosaga on IGN recently to view the first ep. I think it falls under the same lines as cons that screen some previews and such.

Free wi-fi for customers seems to be pretty cool right now. I just hate how I actually caught ppl sitting outside in their car leeching instead of coming in.

We are also working on getting drinks in like Ramune and Melon Sodas. I'm working with the distributors now.

Well stay tuned..
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

PyronIkari

Quote from: "PeppstaR"yeah, fansubs is a bad idea. as for playing anime, I know that Blowfish Sushi in SF used to play anime but have music playing and the anime muted.
They have to pay licensing fees to do that, or it's illegal. Chances are companies won't catch you, but if they do(I wouldn't risk it with Viz in the area) you're screwed.

QuoteAs for free stuff from companies, maybe. ADV has been making first episodes of new series free online. Like they had Xenosaga on IGN recently to view the first ep. I think it falls under the same lines as cons that screen some previews and such.
Yeah, but you still have to get permission for you to use that stuff commercially. Those free episodes and stuff are meant for private home use-only, you break agreement when you use it for commercial purposes.

QuoteFree wi-fi for customers seems to be pretty cool right now. I just hate how I actually caught ppl sitting outside in their car leeching instead of coming in.
That always happens, you can't do anything about it.

QuoteWe are also working on getting drinks in like Ramune and Melon Sodas. I'm working with the distributors now.

Well stay tuned..
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions

That's fine, but you're still missing the bigger picture. Your menus and drink bars, etc. can be virtually anything you want. You can serve milk-tea, and have umibo, and all that crap... but what differentiates that from any other generi-cafe(other than... other cafe's probably have better food because it's not catered towards a specific group of people). Your ploy is that you're trying to make it anime-themed and what not right? If that's the case, you have a lot of legal issues you have to deal with. It's common sense to hire a lawyer whenever you start a business because there are so many legal obligations you have to uphold to even run a business and so many reasons why people can sue you, that it'd be stupid not to get a legal. But since you're now dealing with licensing issues, you have to be careful with everything you do. Putting up a Trigun poster, can be considered use of licensing, and if whoever owns the rights to Trigun wanted to, they could force you to remove the poster and/or sue you for illegal usage for commercial purposes.

I'm not very sure about international law, if you put up a poster of an unlicensed series up, and how legal that is and what not.

Like I said though, you need to see a lawyer about what you can, and cannot do before hand.

PeppstaR

Yeah, but you still have to get permission for you to use that stuff commercially. Those free episodes and stuff are meant for private home use-only, you break agreement when you use it for commercial purposes.

Yes, I understand that. I'm talking to them about it. I wasn't going to just get them and play them

QuoteThat always happens, you can't do anything about it.
Well, I can secure the network and then give access info to customers that ask for it and change the passwords daily, but I have enough to deal with so I don't bother, still sucks tho.

That's fine, but you're still missing the bigger picture. Your menus and drink bars, etc. can be virtually anything you want. You can serve milk-tea, and have umibo, and all that crap... but what differentiates that from any other generi-cafe(other than... other cafe's probably have better food because it's not catered towards a specific group of people). Your ploy is that you're trying to make it anime-themed and what not right? If that's the case, you have a lot of legal issues you have to deal with. It's common sense to hire a lawyer whenever you start a business because there are so many legal obligations you have to uphold to even run a business and so many reasons why people can sue you, that it'd be stupid not to get a legal. But since you're now dealing with licensing issues, you have to be careful with everything you do. Putting up a Trigun poster, can be considered use of licensing, and if whoever owns the rights to Trigun wanted to, they could force you to remove the poster and/or sue you for illegal usage for commercial purposes.

I'm not very sure about international law, if you put up a poster of an unlicensed series up, and how legal that is and what not.

Like I said though, you need to see a lawyer about what you can, and cannot do before hand.

If anything the posters I have are promotional posters that are meant for shops to post up or it's anime art of my own. I am familiar with licensing. I deal with manufacturer contracts for Angry Guy Art Studios with other companies such as Sony, Nike and Tezuka Productions to name a few. I know not to mess with licensing like a fool. Fansubs was an thrown out as an idea but that's more like a "things I wish could do list". I worded that wrong. Worst case scenario for any questioning for any poster that I have up, then its for sale. I do have not 1 but 2 CA resale permits and 4 business registrations, so if I do put up a poster that's not a promo item, it's for sale. I got that from friends who deals with that type of stuff and they told me that's one way to easily have these things up there. If I want to keep it, its for sale for $1000 and if you want to give me $1000 for a poster, it's yours. Simple loop hole. If someone asks, why do you have that poster up? It's for sale.

Food catered towards a specific group of people? No. I sell coffee, bagels and crepes. I am working on selling imported soft drinks, but they will be placed in a refrigerator next to some Cokes and bottled water. If you're refering to "people who drink coffee and eat pastries" then yes, you are correct.

So, I do keep that stuff in mind, so you don't have to worry about that. Thank you for your concern.
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

PeppstaR

Quote from: "PyronIkari"
They have to pay licensing fees to do that, or it's illegal. Chances are companies won't catch you, but if they do(I wouldn't risk it with Viz in the area) you're screwed.

Oh yeah and this one. I personally know the owners of Blowfish Sushi. Manga Video gave him a ton of stuff to play in the restaurant. So nothing being paid out or illegal happening there.
Angry Guy Art Studios
www.agartstudios.com

AnimeEmperor

I think a good idea would be to form an anime club that meets there. Then while they're there they'll spend. XD

Ska_Kitti

Themed days of the month sound good... "Maid Cafe" sort of thing sounds like a good idea. It would make a lot of money as long as the proper paperwork is filled out. I'd join for the day lol.

You can always borrow ideas from other coffee shops and add your own twist on them. That's how good shops are made. ^_^ Selling japanese cooked goods are always a good thing as well. Taiyaki ftw.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Jerry

if anything just make it look like your standard

fanboy/girl room...

like so:

throw in some coffee tables and otaku snacks... i think your golden.

Good luck with business!
Huz zah.  8)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: "PeppstaR"

Free wi-fi for customers seems to be pretty cool right now. I just hate how I actually caught ppl sitting outside in their car leeching instead of coming in.

I could either be crazy or in a dream...maybe both.  But if I recall correctly there is a way to have wi-fi to a certain area, as in as soon as they get five feet from your building it wont connect anymore.  I know for my brothers home he use to have it that as soon as you exit his house you couldnt connect to his wi-fi anymore.  Well thats how I remember it.  And I know other areas do it similarly, well I think I know.  Ok but good luck, and maybe I'll stop buy a couple of times to check it out.

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

astroboy

Wow starting up a business that's waaaay beyond my level.

My advice is stick with a consistent theme and do NOT add too much selection on your menu.

For example I once saw a restaurant that tried to sell:
1) Chinese food
2) Hamburgers
3) Donuts
under the same roof --> TOTAL disaster.

I guess the owner thought he could get more customers by adding a greater selection of unrelated items, instead he scared people away. I didn't bother to even step inside. The thought of eating donuts with the smell of Chinese food in the air or eating Chinese food with the possibility of hamburger grease mixed in wasn't very appetizing. *runs away*

Call me weird but I think a restaurant / cafe with only 10 items can defeat another with 100 items on the menu. An extreme example - (In-n-out burgers vs. McDonald's). People keep on choosing In-n-out even though the selection is ridiculously limited.

why?
Because In-n-out does fries and burgers better then anyone else. They've got the manual potato cutter gimmick which I never get tired of. How can any other burger joint claim to have fresher french fries when In-n-out is the only place that literally cuts the potatoes into fries right in front of you!

It's better to do 1 thing the BEST (that no one else can do) rather then try to do 100 things that anyone can also do.

I hope I wasn't getting off topic

and good luck!!! ^_^

Magical Senpai

Quote from: "PeppstaR"We're in San Bruno, CA on San Mateo Ave.

You guys are practically in my backyard. I'm going to come visit...