Yuri Panel and non-adult Yuri anime showing room

Started by mpu, August 31, 2007, 04:33:00 PM

mpu

Alright so after a few reports, I've decided it's time to take up the reins and see what I can do for the yuri fans of the great SF bay area. :3 I'm interested to hear what people would want to get out a yuri panel. For starters, I've asked Erica Friedman of Yuricon/Okazu/ALC Publishing if she would consider coming out to speak at the panel and she seems interested enough.

As for a yuri showing room, I would REALLY like to step away from the adult themed stuff and give series like Maria-sama ga Miteru a chance to shine.

Tell me there are people interested in all of this? :3

fullmetalneko

As far as getting into the showing room end of it, I would suggest posting that over in the Video Programming section for their staff to see.  Since it will probably get more attention there.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: fullmetalneko on September 02, 2007, 01:04:35 PM
As far as getting into the showing room end of it, I would suggest posting that over in the Video Programming section for their staff to see.  Since it will probably get more attention there.
Yeah I agree that a speaker and video shows are two different things, and the Video Programming thread does tend to get more hits then this place anyhow, not to mention more appropriate.

Jun-Watarase

As hot and sexy as it is, and as much as I'd support promoting the hot and sexiness... what would you guys talk about? o.0

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JohnnyAR

Shinsengumi

They should show some Yuri, I know this past fanime they did so I hope they would do it again.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jun-Watarase

Without needing to explain the proper uses of the term "yuri" and "yaoi"... in the AMERICAN sense of the word, can there be "non-adult" yuri? There's another American-coined term like "Shoujo-ai" that'd probably better describe non-adult lesbian series.

But again, what would you guys talk about in the panel? I mean, really-- What is there to talk about?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JohnnyAR

Hmmmm, I haven't really gotten into non-adult Yuri, got curious of the word and when I found out about the word I got intrested in it. Ok ummmmmmmmmmmmm

How is non-adult Yuri really? I mean I'm not completley understanding this. I know it means lesbian or something, but what? Is ther actual romance in it? Dat would be cool and I don't mean in a non-perverted way.  I actually like that stuff more when its not perverted. I still a little confused anyways.

PyronIkari

Yaoi and Yuri really need to stop being compared to each other.

Yuri means Lily. It's a representation of lesbian love. The rose is the representation of the love between two homo-sexuals.

That's the meaning of yuri. It has nothing to do with sex, or anything... it was just a representitive word, created to be an equal of the usage of "rose". It was like code words to explain homosexual tendencies without actually saying "THey're homosexual".

Glitch

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 07:04:21 PM
But again, what would you guys talk about in the panel? I mean, really-- What is there to talk about?
Anything can be dragged out into hours of discussion.0_0
You can talk about every single tiny detail that occurred in the history of yuri and ask every friggin you can about it. Of course it is easy me for to say that since I'm a history fan who will sit through long detailed shows on pbs and the history channel that some people would find boring.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Glitch on November 28, 2007, 08:44:31 PM
Anything can be dragged out into hours of discussion.0_0
You can talk about every single tiny detail that occurred in the history of yuri and ask every friggin you can about it. Of course it is easy me for to say that since I'm a history fan who will sit through long detailed shows on pbs and the history channel that some people would find boring.

Nah. I enjoy them, but I don't quite understand what there is to talk about in terms of yuri. I mean, what history? There are anime and manga series with lesbians and lesbian storylines. All there really can be are suggestions of series for others to watch, otherwise, it'd just be a discussion about lesbians. I don't see much information to make a panel over.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 08:05:52 PM
Yaoi and Yuri really need to stop being compared to each other.

Isn't that why people created the idea for a yuri panel and video-room? Because people found it unfair that there are "yaoi panels" and "yaoi video-rooms"?

I don't know. There are the proper uses of the words, but there are American-versions of the terms that dominate anime convention communities and even official American anime-promoting industries. I didn't feel the need to bring up another discussion about it.

FanimaidCafe.com

Reikon

There's not much, but they could talk about the rise of the yuri genre in the US releases since it's still pretty new. Of course, it'd mainly be about Seven Seas then.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

JohnnyAR

can anyone give me a list of well know yuri? Since I'm new to it.

Jun-Watarase

The most well known anime series come to mind are like...

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Kannazuki no Miko
Simoun
Kashimashi
Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito
Mai-hime/Mai-Otome
Strawberry Panic
Burst Angel
Steel Angel Kurumi
Venus Verus Virus
El Cazador
Sisters of Welber
Blue Drop

There are also a whole bunch of anime with female pairings... There's Sailor Moon, Utena, Noir, R.O.D., Nana... and a lot of seinin series have girls that SEEM to have feelings for each other like PreCure, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ichigo Mashimaro, Hidamari Sketch, Manabi Straight, etc.

FanimaidCafe.com

BunofGovt

Could this panel also include relationships which are not shown in the anime as yuri but where the ladies are definitely close enough to make you wonder? There is Tsukikage Ran, which may be similar to the Xena series with the strong lead female swordsman (Ran)  and the not so strong yet capable female friend (Myao).

And in Tenchi Universe (is it Universe?) there are the two police women (whose names escape me), in a relationship that looks like one hates the other (well, can't stand the other) but they are still close and end up rooming together.

Also in Ouran Host Club there are the Robelia School students who worship femininity, and Bleach with Orihime's friendship with Tatsuki, and Chizuru's lust for Orihime.  Let's not forget Doki Doki School Hours, too with Rio's obsession with Suzuki-sensei.

Just a thought, since I'm not into yuri myself but I know of others who are.  But looking at relationships in more general terms might make this more attractive to others who are also not into yuri as yuri but as close friendships/relationships.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: BunofGovt on December 23, 2007, 04:52:36 PM
Ouran Host Club there are the Robelia School students who worship femininity, and Bleach with Orihime's friendship with Tatsuki, and Chizuru's lust for Orihime.  Let's not forget Doki Doki School Hours, too with Rio's obsession with Suzuki-sensei.

All those were intentional.

FanimaidCafe.com

BunofGovt

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 23, 2007, 05:02:59 PM
Ouran Host Club there are the Robelia School students who worship femininity, and Bleach with Orihime's friendship with Tatsuki, and Chizuru's lust for Orihime.  Let's not forget Doki Doki School Hours, too with Rio's obsession with Suzuki-sensei.

All those were intentional.

;D
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

JohnnyAR

We should have a non-adult Yuri gathering. Somebody please arrange one.

And in Tenchi Universe (is it Universe?) there are the two police women (whose names escape me), in a relationship that looks like one hates the other (well, can't stand the other) but they are still close and end up rooming together.

I never actually thought about that for a second because I was too busy laughing.

JohnnyAR

opps, accidently double posted!  :o

Jun-Watarase

FanimaidCafe.com