Skates/Rollerblades?

Started by Nina Star 9, October 22, 2007, 05:33:00 PM

Nina Star 9

I realize that skates, skateboards, rollerblades, etc. are typically agains tthe rule sin hte convention center due to safety and property issues. However, one of my planned costumes (Ryth, Jet Set Radio Future) pretty much needs skates of some sort. Since I would fall and die on anything that rolls anyway, I was thinking of locking the wheels on rollerskates (so I would have a 'platform' to walk on) and wearing them like shoes. Would this be against the rules? Would I have to get them inspected and/or tagged somehow? Would the staff feel better if I locked the wheels by tightening and by filling in the space between the wheels somehow? Or would I be better off with just plain shoes?

Thank you!

(One last thing for the more prop-inclined among us- her skates have large spikes on the backs, and since con-goers have a tendency to ruin or nearly ruin anything down low on my costumes, what types of materials should I use to make sure that the spikes do not get broken and/or injure someone? Thanks.)

luckyends

i thnk it will be ok just as long as it dosnt kill the floor or damage the convention center and for the spike... i have no clue
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

dibbly

be careful tho. locking your wheels is not a good idea. they wont feel like normal platforms and will kill your feet within minutes. i would not plan on walking a lot if you were to do so.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Nanashi

I saw a guy last year cosplaying as Beat, and he was skating around...So I think it should be fine.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Nanashi on November 09, 2007, 06:29:23 PM
I saw a guy last year cosplaying as Beat, and he was skating around...So I think it should be fine.
Ah, yes, but I know that the con prefers us to not skate around inside, and I would certainly prefer to not skate around inside.

dibbly> Really? I have never tried it myself, but I cannot imgine that it would be too diffrent from wearing tall platforms. How is it diffrent or a bad idea? Sure, they would be heavy, but that is really the only downside I can think of.

Shinigami

Nina, first of all, you've broken your wrist twice while skating... and those weren't even rollerblades. As for locking the wheels, you know when you skate and they're heavy and pull your ankles inward and totally kill you? That's what you'll be experiencing the entire convention. Platforms are lighter in weight and meant for walking around in. In-line skates are heavier and weighted completely differently than platforms because they're meant for skating around in.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Shinigami on November 13, 2007, 07:07:12 PM
Nina, first of all, you've broken your wrist twice while skating... and those weren't even rollerblades. As for locking the wheels, you know when you skate and they're heavy and pull your ankles inward and totally kill you? That's what you'll be experiencing the entire convention. Platforms are lighter in weight and meant for walking around in. In-line skates are heavier and weighted completely differently than platforms because they're meant for skating around in.
...Which is why I am trying to avoid actual skates.

Well, how else can I fake skating for this cosplay? Buy platforms and attach paper wheels to the outsides so it looks like incredibly ghetto fake skates? ;P

DemonLordZabuza

well if wheels are essentail for you choose...you can always like get fake wheel and glue them on the outside of your shoe or something.  but dont really know about what exactly your cosplay is.  on the spike suggestion craft foam, aluminum foil, even cardboard.  Just have to craft it wheel.  As for skates in the convention center: one is safety, we do not want you hurt.  As of rules for the convention center itself I do not really know if is ok for skates to be righten, I know that last con skate boarding was not looked well upon, if I recall I did ask a couple conners to get off it.  I did see the kit with the skates last year.

But in all, I guess rollerskates as long as they are clean and you know how to use them them I think it should be ok, do not quote me on that but I can try doing some research for you and report later.

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Kegan_Flame

i wanna cosplay JSRF with you!!!!! I could totally be GUM.... XD