Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

Stormfalcon

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 03, 2007, 07:52:42 PM
Quote from: Kyokun on November 02, 2007, 11:57:15 AM
Quote from: Shinigami on November 01, 2007, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: Kyokun on November 01, 2007, 10:46:52 AM
What's bad is if you read the comments from the youtube video, people are going, "OMG, that's so cool, I'm going to do this, too!!" which means we might have even more inconsiderate glompers running around this year.  I swear, if anyone tries doing this to me, unasked, they're going to get a hard shove in the face and/or a cussfest.
Several people posted more serious comment too, myself included. You know, telling about the serious side of glomping and all that and to ask permission and blah blah blah. She deleted those comments.  >:(
But all the comments she kept were all the "omg kawaii awesome" fangirly comments, and those comments worry me....
Well, that sounds encouraging. /sarcasm  I hope she gets reported this year and kicked out of the con since she obviously doesn't care how people feel about being mauled/attacked.

If you want to glomp or be glomped, that's fine, but PLEASE be respectful towards those of us who do NOT.  I don't want to hit anyone, but out of reflex I might, if someone surprise jumps me.

there should be a offical way to tell if someone wants to be glomped and I mean without using those little signs. mabye we should have a sticker or something like that on our name tags, so that glompers can tell which person is okay to glomp.

How about going up and asking if it's okay to glomp or not?  If so, fine.  If not, forget it.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

XpHoBiaX

On a waaay serious note, I was glomped a little too hard at fanime last year (it was a squeeze that popped my spine, and hurt quite smartly >_<). I am dealing with a serious back injury and something like that can seriously harm me. People need to consider this in their 'glomp fests'. Tackle glomps, bear squeaze glomps, and lifting you off the ground related glomps are in my opnion unsafe.

I don't want to be spending fanime in the ER becuase someone wasn't using common sense. I am not stating we should ban glomps, but this is getting out of hand. People, healthy ones too, can and will get hurt from the glomping antics I've seen in the past couple years. Please, respect the people who bring you these events by discouraging things like that. Safety first guys, it may sound corny...but I'd rather not see anyone get hurt at these things.

Emerge

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 03, 2007, 09:35:10 AM
The reason of the act is more important than the act itself.

i'm trying to think of it in the "no harm, no foul" light. of course, in this case, there was harm and thus, a foul. but what i'm trying to get at is that i could think about punching someone in the face all day long, but as long as i don't touch that person, i haven't really done anything wrong.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 03, 2007, 09:35:10 AM
Hardly... it's very called for...

Tony's post pretty much covered what i have to say about this.

dumb - okay. i'll give you that.

ho - has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Stormfalcon on November 03, 2007, 08:50:59 PM
What's bad is if you read the comments from the youtube video, people are going, "OMG, that's so cool, I'm going to do this, too!!" which means we might have even more inconsiderate glompers running around this year.  I swear, if anyone tries doing this to me, unasked, they're going to get a hard shove in the face and/or a cussfest.
Several people posted more serious comment too, myself included. You know, telling about the serious side of glomping and all that and to ask permission and blah blah blah. She deleted those comments.  >:(
But all the comments she kept were all the "omg kawaii awesome" fangirly comments, and those comments worry me....
Well, that sounds encouraging. /sarcasm  I hope she gets reported this year and kicked out of the con since she obviously doesn't care how people feel about being mauled/attacked.

If you want to glomp or be glomped, that's fine, but PLEASE be respectful towards those of us who do NOT.  I don't want to hit anyone, but out of reflex I might, if someone surprise jumps me.

there should be a offical way to tell if someone wants to be glomped and I mean without using those little signs. mabye we should have a sticker or something like that on our name tags, so that glompers can tell which person is okay to glomp.

How about going up and asking if it's okay to glomp or not?  If so, fine.  If not, forget it.

well.........................

I'm a shy person, so its a problem for to ask someone to ask if they wanna get glomped and also people who don't want to get glomped won't worry at all about having to be glomped unless the glomper just sees them from behind and glomps without thinking or asking, so that way they can deserve being cussed at times 5.

DshadowSakura

Ok question for the higher up ppls or who ever can give me an answer. ^^;; so i know you guys dont like signs because of the whole ppl asking for money *example* thing so what if i MAKE a shirt??? thats says (glomp me or pls dont glomp me?)  so instead of a cardboard box sign can i make a shirt ? That way fanime staff dont get mad for me having a sign and i avoid ppl glomping me >.<

Stormfalcon

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 04, 2007, 06:31:24 PM

I'm a shy person, so its a problem for to ask someone to ask if they wanna get glomped and also people who don't want to get glomped won't worry at all about having to be glomped unless the glomper just sees them from behind and glomps without thinking or asking, so that way they can deserve being cussed at times 5.

If you`re too shy to ask to glomp, then it`s a good idea not to glomp to begin with.  As for those who glomp without permission, they shouldn`t be cussed at.  They should be booted from the con instead.

My DeviantArt Page:

phoenixphire24

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 04, 2007, 06:31:24 PM

Even if people were to wear stickers or something saying it's ok to glomp, you should still ask so that the person can be prepared for it thus avoiding injury or the destruction of costumes/props.

Basically it comes down to the fact that just because it's a convention does not mean that anyone has the permission or the right to invade the personal space of another person! You do not know these people and therefore do not know if they like to be touched, if they want their costume touched because damage might be done (if they're wearing one), and if they have medical problems as was stated above. In any other situation this would not be tolerated, however, because it's a convention and people are dressed up there seems to be this idea that it is ok. IT IS NOT! If you want to glomp people fine, but is it that hard to ask?  ???

miss shelby

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 03, 2007, 09:13:37 PM
On a waaay serious note, I was glomped a little too hard at fanime last year (it was a squeeze that popped my spine, and hurt quite smartly >_<). I am dealing with a serious back injury and something like that can seriously harm me. People need to consider this in their 'glomp fests'. Tackle glomps, bear squeaze glomps, and lifting you off the ground related glomps are in my opnion unsafe.

I don't want to be spending fanime in the ER becuase someone wasn't using common sense. I am not stating we should ban glomps, but this is getting out of hand. People, healthy ones too, can and will get hurt from the glomping antics I've seen in the past couple years. Please, respect the people who bring you these events by discouraging things like that. Safety first guys, it may sound corny...but I'd rather not see anyone get hurt at these things.

I agree.   I have a pretty serious foot injury that started acting up around Fanime time last year and someone who tried to glomp me ended up stomping on my foot and running off before I could get a good look at them.  It swelled and I ended up having to sit on the edge of our tub soaking it instead of having fun at the convention.

Glomping is intrusive and unsafe.  I really hope we can get a handle on it this year. 

zoupzuop2

I hate to sound like a jerk, but if a glomper lacks the self-control to ask someone if they'd like a glomp, he/she most likely shouldn't attend conventions full of people that might not want to be glomped. If you have the presence of mind to ask, you SHOULD. If you can't, then don't glomp.

No askie? No jumpie. Case closed.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on November 05, 2007, 10:35:19 AM

Even if people were to wear stickers or something saying it's ok to glomp, you should still ask so that the person can be prepared for it thus avoiding injury or the destruction of costumes/props.

Basically it comes down to the fact that just because it's a convention does not mean that anyone has the permission or the right to invade the personal space of another person! You do not know these people and therefore do not know if they like to be touched, if they want their costume touched because damage might be done (if they're wearing one), and if they have medical problems as was stated above. In any other situation this would not be tolerated, however, because it's a convention and people are dressed up there seems to be this idea that it is ok. IT IS NOT! If you want to glomp people fine, but is it that hard to ask?  ???

As I said I'm shy

ok you've got me there and you said it in a way that can persuad the people in charge of Fanime.

cappeh

oh god you guys calm down and don't get so offended. it's like you're placing 'ho' on the same level as a racial slur. i call everyone hoes.

besides, i don't know why you're defending this chick anyways, lol.
hi i lav u

Stormfalcon

Quote from: cappeh on November 06, 2007, 12:31:03 AM
oh god you guys calm down and don't get so offended. it's like you're placing 'ho' on the same level as a racial slur. i call everyone hoes.

You do realize what a ho is, don't you?  If you do, then maybe you might realize why it's placed on the same level as a racial slur.

My DeviantArt Page:

phoenixphire24

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 05, 2007, 06:18:06 PM
Quote from: phoenixphire24 on November 05, 2007, 10:35:19 AM

As I said I'm shy

ok you've got me there and you said it in a way that can persuad the people in charge of Fanime.

I understand that you're shy, it's just that I don't equate being shy with randomly jumping on/hugging strangers. You, being a shy person, should understand what it's like for people like me that don't like being touched by people I don't know. You have to respect people's personal space.

JohnnyAR

I'm not defending her. And I've never glomped anyone before so no one get mad at me for glomping without asking. Alright lets go ont with something else.

Jun-Watarase

Rather than defending her, they're trying to nicely let you know that you're being an idiot. Obviously you're not supposed to say "ho" on this forum, and it seems you can't get the reason why. Accept it and don't do it again.

I hate getting glomped, but I know it's an inevitability to get glomped or see people getting glomped and suffering. If I get glomped, I expect it to be okay for me to glomp them back twice as hard.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

cappeh

ugh. yes, i know what a ho is. i'm not 12.

ok, my bad, i didn't realize calling an annoying girl a 'ho' would instigate flames on this board. it doesn't on the forums i usually frequent, but my mistake, won't do it again scout's honor.

but jun, i dunno, shouldn't you refresh your knowledge of the forum rules yourself? lol.
hi i lav u

Kazuko

She is clearly aware of the rules here on this forum I think we all do.

IMO you shouldnt have said that word, it's insulting....thats like if I called you a Witch with a B (lol G rated for sure). No one wants to be affiliated with a prostitute. that is a slur against women and very degrading

Sure this is a forum but no one is defending her, just the way you use that word on someone

Emerge

cappeh, if you look through my posts, i didn't defend anyone. i even said myself that she was in the wrong and even agreed with you in saying that what she did was dumb.

your choice of vocabulary is a different matter.

i am NOT judging anyone, nor do i see it fit for me to do. that's not my job, nor do i believe it is anyone elses. i can, however, judge actions - which is what i did for both the glomper and yourself.

cappeh

imo i don't think words like that should be taken seriously when used in a manner like i did, and when they are that's the only reason they're offensive. but i know opinions differ and i already said i won't use it again in this forum. so you guys can stop lecturing me plz thk u. <3
hi i lav u

Emerge

no need to be on the defensive side, here.

i'm not lecturing you. just giving my opinion on the matter.