Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

Miradori

Quote from: Emerge on October 23, 2007, 11:04:34 PM
IMO, the glompee is equally responsible as the glomper. if the glompee is aware of the potential tackle, said person can simply give a heads-up, and ideally it would be avoided.
ideally, yes. But the glomper holds all the responsiblity, and there are plenty of glompers who don't listen. So your ideal honestly is out the window.

Miradori

Quote from: Stormfalcon on November 02, 2007, 07:51:01 AM
re: the signs thing.  What would be better would be that those who want to be glomped bring their own signs stating so.  Otherwise, it would be safe to assume that the person in question does not want to be glomped.  No expense to the con whatsoever, other than coming down on those glomping folks without a sign giving permission.

YES! EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING!

otakuapprentice

i think they already exist; people were wandering the halls on sunday night carrying/holding "hug me/glomp me" signs, and they were there in droves.

how about a little corner(and i do mean little) in the hallway set up so if people wanted to be glomped/hugged/whatever, they go stand there and wait for said hug/glompage so they dont end up blocking the walkway; call it a "glomp corner", if you will....
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Miradori

Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 08, 2007, 08:24:45 PM
i think they already exist; people were wandering the halls on sunday night carrying/holding "hug me/glomp me" signs, and they were there in droves.

how about a little corner(and i do mean little) in the hallway set up so if people wanted to be glomped/hugged/whatever, they go stand there and wait for said hug/glompage so they dont end up blocking the walkway; call it a "glomp corner", if you will....
bad idea, I guarentee you, it would devolve into an orgy. At least if the people who I know show up it will XP

otakuapprentice

true; that's when you get Rovers involved...

or you could just have them standing along the wall and not block peoples' path...

its better than having them block the hallways and create a fire hazard, but thats just me speaking; im sure everyone else wants to burn to a crisp.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Kazuko on November 06, 2007, 10:55:18 PM
She is clearly aware of the rules here on this forum I think we all do.

IMO you shouldnt have said that word, it's insulting....thats like if I called you a Witch with a B (lol G rated for sure). No one wants to be affiliated with a prostitute. that is a slur against women and very degrading

Sure this is a forum but no one is defending her, just the way you use that word on someone

I wonder if she's seen this topic, lol. imagine that.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Miradori on November 08, 2007, 08:13:27 PM
Quote from: Emerge on October 23, 2007, 11:04:34 PM
IMO, the glompee is equally responsible as the glomper. if the glompee is aware of the potential tackle, said person can simply give a heads-up, and ideally it would be avoided.
ideally, yes. But the glomper holds all the responsiblity, and there are plenty of glompers who don't listen. So your ideal honestly is out the window.

Has anyone tried running? XD Surely I would.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Miradori on November 08, 2007, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 08, 2007, 08:24:45 PM

bad idea, I guarentee you, it would devolve into an orgy. At least if the people who I know show up it will XP

XD an orgy

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Miradori on November 08, 2007, 08:18:36 PM
Quote from: Stormfalcon on November 02, 2007, 07:51:01 AM
re: the signs thing.  What would be better would be that those who want to be glomped bring their own signs stating so.  Otherwise, it would be safe to assume that the person in question does not want to be glomped.  No expense to the con whatsoever, other than coming down on those glomping folks without a sign giving permission.

YES! EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING!

The only problem here is that there are people who simply don't care and will glomp people anyway. I've seen lots of people get glomped from behind without warning. I doubt glompers who do this are really going to take the time to look for a sign. I'm not saying this applies to all glompers; some are very nice and ask permission beforehand, but those people aren't the ones I have a problem with.

PyronIkari

Here's the thing guys... you guys are all trying to think up reasons to privlidge them and to make find ways to allow them to glomp people etc.

When the act should be discouraged all together. Why should the con go out of its way to setup a "glomp corner" or make stickers, or anything like that to help these idiots perform an act that in general should be discouraged.

I seriously don't get why people cannot have a fandom and still be semi-normal about it. Instead people use their fandom as an excuse to jump on complete strangers, because you know, asking for a picture, maybe a hug is far too normal and does not truely display the fandom you have for someone right? Obviously, we have to take it to the next level and tackle someone to show your fandom.

Doesn't make sense. I remember a lot of people getting on my case about how conventions are like a haven to them, since they are treated as weird, and shunned in normal society. Maybe it's because these people can't act in a civilized manner and insist on tackling people and other such acts that society thinks they're weird and they're shunned.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 09, 2007, 04:40:27 PM
Here's the thing guys... you guys are all trying to think up reasons to privlidge them and to make find ways to allow them to glomp people etc.

When the act should be discouraged all together. Why should the con go out of its way to setup a "glomp corner" or make stickers, or anything like that to help these idiots perform an act that in general should be discouraged.

I seriously don't get why people cannot have a fandom and still be semi-normal about it. Instead people use their fandom as an excuse to jump on complete strangers, because you know, asking for a picture, maybe a hug is far too normal and does not truely display the fandom you have for someone right? Obviously, we have to take it to the next level and tackle someone to show your fandom.

Doesn't make sense. I remember a lot of people getting on my case about how conventions are like a haven to them, since they are treated as weird, and shunned in normal society. Maybe it's because these people can't act in a civilized manner and insist on tackling people and other such acts that society thinks they're weird and they're shunned.

You made it more clear, glomping needs to be banned, lets start a anti-glomp club, how about. Meh lets not it'll just cause more problems.

PyronIkari

I said "discouraged" not "banned". The act in itself isn't anything wrong realistically, just, kinda stupid. Stupidity isn't banned, but it is discouraged.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 09, 2007, 07:43:01 PM
I said "discouraged" not "banned". The act in itself isn't anything wrong realistically, just, kinda stupid. Stupidity isn't banned, but it is discouraged.

It wasn't wrong, it just got out of hand. A lot of things that happen at cons are stupid, and even though stupid things should be discouraged, it may be the only way for some people to have fun. People like glomping, but hey-- looking into the history, tons of people have been offended, had their personal space invaded, injured, or put in risk of being seriously hurt.

Glomping is fun to some, and that's fine-- but back then, people were more shy and courteous to the idea, doing simple gestures such as politely ASKING and doing it to strictly people they knew. It's a problem now because there's an actual RISK of hurting someone.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JohnnyAR

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 09, 2007, 07:43:01 PM

oh

xinyi

Yeah, I mean I would be fine with someone asking first, because that shows some respect. If you just randomly jump onto someone I think it's extreeeemely rude - no respect of them or anyone's "personal space."
I think glomping strangers like that girl did is crazy. It's harrassment. :/

narutofan17

From the aspect of just randomly out of the blue glomping yeah it's not cool to some people. Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people. I like to be glomped because it shows that I got a kick ass costume and people like it. I know I don't want to be put into some "glomp corner." Lets say for example that does happen, then you know their are going to be that groups of people that are going to to say f@#k this and break from that so called glomp barrier. It's not because "these people" are weird and want to be seen as weird. It's just something that goes on at anime conventions.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Kyokun

Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 11:31:32 AM
From the aspect of just randomly out of the blue glomping yeah it's not cool to some people. Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people. I like to be glomped because it shows that I got a kick ass costume and people like it. I know I don't want to be put into some "glomp corner." Lets say for example that does happen, then you know their are going to be that groups of people that are going to to say f@#k this and break from that so called glomp barrier. It's not because "these people" are weird and want to be seen as weird. It's just something that goes on at anime conventions.
I don't think an activity that hurts quite a few people and aggravates injury or an intrusion of space should be a part of any "tradition."  Just because it's a considered a tradition doesn't mean it should automatically be accepted or tolerated.  Most of the people in this thread have said they really don't like unasked-for glomping, so why should we have to put up with it just because it's "tradition"?  I think anime cons really need to address this problem before some gets hurt really bad--either the glompee, or the glomper from someone punching their lights out after glomping.

vasher

QuoteI seriously don't get why people cannot have a fandom and still be semi-normal about it.

I'd say that the majority of people in fandom are semi-normal about it- witness the great number of people at Fanime who do manage to restrain themselves from knocking the stuffing out of their favorite characters.

It's just a few choice idiots that are causing the problem.

narutofan17

Quote from: Kyokun on November 10, 2007, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 11:31:32 AM
I don't think an activity that hurts quite a few people and aggravates injury or an intrusion of space should be a part of any "tradition."  Just because it's a considered a tradition doesn't mean it should automatically be accepted or tolerated.  Most of the people in this thread have said they really don't like unasked-for glomping, so why should we have to put up with it just because it's "tradition"?  I think anime cons really need to address this problem before some gets hurt really bad--either the glompee, or the glomper from someone punching their lights out after glomping.
Yes and your right. People shouldn't just randomly just attack people out of the blue. There should be some understanding and it should be brought up and some rules should be set. If rules are set when it comes to glomping then fight won't break out. But to isolate people that won't to glomp or going as far as to get rid of is a little messed up. I'm just tryin to look from both perspectives. I'm not tryin to come off as an a$$ or anything.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

JohnnyAR

Ok so the lesson for today or for eternity is ask b4 you glomp.