Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 06:29:12 PM
Quote from: Kyokun on November 10, 2007, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 11:31:32 AM
From the aspect of just randomly out of the blue glomping yeah it's not cool to some people. Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people. I like to be glomped because it shows that I got a kick ass costume and people like it. I know I don't want to be put into some "glomp corner." Lets say for example that does happen, then you know their are going to be that groups of people that are going to to say f@#k this and break from that so called glomp barrier. It's not because "these people" are weird and want to be seen as weird. It's just something that goes on at anime conventions.
I don't think an activity that hurts quite a few people and aggravates injury or an intrusion of space should be a part of any "tradition."  Just because it's a considered a tradition doesn't mean it should automatically be accepted or tolerated.  Most of the people in this thread have said they really don't like unasked-for glomping, so why should we have to put up with it just because it's "tradition"?  I think anime cons really need to address this problem before some gets hurt really bad--either the glompee, or the glomper from someone punching their lights out after glomping.
Yes and your right. People shouldn't just randomly just attack people out of the blue. There should be some understanding and it should be brought up and some rules should be set. If rules are set when it comes to glomping then fight won't break out. But to isolate people that won't to glomp or going as far as to get rid of is a little messed up. I'm just tryin to look from both perspectives. I'm not tryin to come off as an a$$ or anything.

I'd say that's a pretty crappy tradition to have for Fanime's reputation.

Again, glomping is fine. No one's asking to stop glomping altogether. It just shouldn't get out of hand.. and if someone really wants to let you know that your costume is cool, they'd come up and TELL you or ask for a picture, rather than doing something that could potentially hurt you or ruin said costume.

And what do you mean by these people not wanting to seem weird or thought of as strange? Why do you think people do these things and try to be so eccentric? Because they want to be different, and because it's different, they feel compelled to do stupid things like this and it becomes extreme as the act is more common... to be even more eccentric. :T

In another sense, if you tone it down a smidgen... it's like a sign of affection, which is even accepted in public, now-a-days. But signs of affection are normally for people you know and are close to.

A glomp corner does seem... really stupid. It's like you're being asked to go to a designated spot to say hello and hug (sorta...). Anyways, if rules are set, I'd expect them to be pretty strict-- not only that, but if one rule is made, a couple others would be made along with it. No one wants to be attend an event and become bound by really strict rules, so rather than PUSHING it until rules are actually set, maybe people can just... tone it down a little so they don't have to be made at all?

And as for speaking for both perspectives, it's like... a kid really wants to eat cake and ice cream, which is fine occasionally, and in small amounts... but eventually, the kid eats more to the extent that it negatively affects his/her health. So one side is trying to have the kid manage to control himself and keep his unhealthy eating habits to a minimum, whereas the kid is whining for more cake and ice cream.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

narutofan17

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 10, 2007, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 06:29:12 PM
Quote from: Kyokun on November 10, 2007, 01:49:16 PM
From the aspect of just randomly out of the blue glomping yeah it's not cool to some people. Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people. I like to be glomped because it shows that I got a kick ass costume and people like it. I know I don't want to be put into some "glomp corner." Lets say for example that does happen, then you know their are going to be that groups of people that are going to to say f@#k this and break from that so called glomp barrier. It's not because "these people" are weird and want to be seen as weird. It's just something that goes on at anime conventions.
I don't think an activity that hurts quite a few people and aggravates injury or an intrusion of space should be a part of any "tradition."  Just because it's a considered a tradition doesn't mean it should automatically be accepted or tolerated.  Most of the people in this thread have said they really don't like unasked-for glomping, so why should we have to put up with it just because it's "tradition"?  I think anime cons really need to address this problem before some gets hurt really bad--either the glompee, or the glomper from someone punching their lights out after glomping.
Yes and your right. People shouldn't just randomly just attack people out of the blue. There should be some understanding and it should be brought up and some rules should be set. If rules are set when it comes to glomping then fight won't break out. But to isolate people that won't to glomp or going as far as to get rid of is a little messed up. I'm just tryin to look from both perspectives. I'm not tryin to come off as an a$$ or anything.

I'd say that's a pretty crappy tradition to have for Fanime's reputation.

Again, glomping is fine. No one's asking to stop glomping altogether. It just shouldn't get out of hand.. and if someone really wants to let you know that your costume is cool, they'd come up and TELL you or ask for a picture, rather than doing something that could potentially hurt you or ruin said costume.

And what do you mean by these people not wanting to seem weird or thought of as strange? Why do you think people do these things and try to be so eccentric? Because they want to be different, and because it's different, they feel compelled to do stupid things like this and it becomes extreme as the act is more common... to be even more eccentric. :T

In another sense, if you tone it down a smidgen... it's like a sign of affection, which is even accepted in public, now-a-days. But signs of affection are normally for people you know and are close to.

A glomp corner does seem... really stupid. It's like you're being asked to go to a designated spot to say hello and hug (sorta...). Anyways, if rules are set, I'd expect them to be pretty strict-- not only that, but if one rule is made, a couple others would be made along with it. No one wants to be attend an event and become bound by really strict rules, so rather than PUSHING it until rules are actually set, maybe people can just... tone it down a little so they don't have to be made at all?

And as for speaking for both perspectives, it's like... a kid really wants to eat cake and ice cream, which is fine occasionally, and in small amounts... but eventually, the kid eats more to the extent that it negatively affects his/her health. So one side is trying to have the kid manage to control himself and keep his unhealthy eating habits to a minimum, whereas the kid is whining for more cake and ice cream.
@_@ I really didn't mean to piss people off. I didn't know that this was such a big concern and I've gone to Fanime for 4 years T_T. I just thought that was something that people did at anime cons. Yeah, from what I have from everyone and it does sound like it gets out of hand. Just simply start asking people if you want to be glomped and everyone will be happy. No, the person that I was replying that people do it so they can seem weird because they are around the people that are just like them. My opinion is they do it because they are around people like their self and they feel like they can be comfortable around and...well tackle random people and they have to realize that yes these people are into similar things but you still have to realize that these people STILL don't know you. Yeah, you have a point. It is something that friends would do. But if someone came up to me and asked properly then yeah it would be cool. Maybe it because I haven't been glomped out of the blue. People usually asked me or I had a sign on and I saw them coming LOL. Yeah the corner this is stupid. Just let people know that if you want to glomp someone just ask. Plain and simple. So your saying that it's becoming more and more addictive and that people aren't able to control their self anymore which from what I'm hearing from everyone it is getting out of hand. All I'm saying is don't take it from the people that do have the signs and do it the proper way.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

otakuapprentice

My suggestion might not have been the best response after reading all these posts; i haven't been glomped yet, which might have caused me to post what i did.

I'll wait and see what happens come next years' con, and i might change my opinion on the subject.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

narutofan17

At least we have an idea on how people feel on this subject. It's something that people aren't comfortable with random people doing out off know where. It's like from that old comic strip Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin came home Hobbes would alway tackle him for no apparent reason except the difference is they were friends. XD

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

PyronIkari

Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people.

No it's not.

You've been going to Fanime for four years... I've been going to cons for about a decade. I should write another rant about what's changed in con fandom post 2001. I've already written a huge one about cosplayers/attention whores/and the lack of respect for design and love for characters. Maybe I should write one about general conduct and how post 2001 con-goers seem to lose all sense of reality and think cons are an excuse to act like idiots, have no sense of judgment, and lose all self-control. Hmm... Maybe I'll do that.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: otakuapprentice on November 10, 2007, 11:11:15 PM
My suggestion might not have been the best response after reading all these posts; i haven't been glomped yet, which might have caused me to post what i did.

I'll wait and see what happens come next years' con, and i might change my opinion on the subject.

same here

JohnnyAR

Quote from: narutofan17 on November 10, 2007, 11:17:42 PM
At least we have an idea on how people feel on this subject. It's something that people aren't comfortable with random people doing out off know where. It's like from that old comic strip Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin came home Hobbes would alway tackle him for no apparent reason except the difference is they were friends. XD

I love Calvin and Hobbes! :D

narutofan17

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 11, 2007, 05:49:34 AM
Just realize that it is apart of fanime tradition...hell any anime convention tradition (hey that rhymes lol) and we should take that away from other people.

No it's not.

You've been going to Fanime for four years... I've been going to cons for about a decade. I should write another rant about what's changed in con fandom post 2001. I've already written a huge one about cosplayers/attention whores/and the lack of respect for design and love for characters. Maybe I should write one about general conduct and how post 2001 con-goers seem to lose all sense of reality and think cons are an excuse to act like idiots, have no sense of judgment, and lose all self-control. Hmm... Maybe I'll do that.
I say do it. Just realize again that it's not everyone doing this. I just don't want the staff to come up with some rule that takes away from others that do respect the con and do act like they have sense. And I'm mean saying they don't have any sense may be going a little to far. Lost of judgment sound a lot better. Idiot is such a strong word. But yeah I'm all for the rant and I just hope I haven't disrespected anyone here.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

phoenixphire24

Look it's easy. JUST ASK FIRST. No need for signs, stickers, corners. JUST ASK FIRST.

If the person says no, say "Well I like your costume" and have a nice chat with them. If they say yes, then glomp and still try to have a nice conversation with them. Isn't that part of what going to a con is all about? Interacting, talking with people?  :-\

zoupzuop2

Phoenix is right. It'd be much simpler if people just said four words, or something to their extent:

"I CAN HAS GLOMP?"

Seriously. Ask and ye shall receive, or at least the chances are higher. I know I'd actually feel more honored if someone asked before they glomped me, rather than just tackling me out of the blue, regardless of if I'm holding something fragile or edible or not.
Seriously. Once I say yes (IF I say yes), I'm more than ready for tackle-football-esque flying hug attacks. :3
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Miradori

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 09, 2007, 07:17:30 AM
Quote from: Miradori on November 08, 2007, 08:13:27 PM
Quote from: Emerge on October 23, 2007, 11:04:34 PM
IMO, the glompee is equally responsible as the glomper. if the glompee is aware of the potential tackle, said person can simply give a heads-up, and ideally it would be avoided.
ideally, yes. But the glomper holds all the responsiblity, and there are plenty of glompers who don't listen. So your ideal honestly is out the window.

Has anyone tried running? XD Surely I would.
heh, doesn't always work. Some people take that as a give chase signal, like with dogs. >.< lol gah, If i wasn't so tired i'd write up some basic rules for glomping (I like to glomp, but not harm people, so I know a few basic rules of thumb that are kinda common sense, but whatever) gah, tomorrow I suppose

Kyokun

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on November 12, 2007, 04:01:19 PM
Look it's easy. JUST ASK FIRST. No need for signs, stickers, corners. JUST ASK FIRST.

If the person says no, say "Well I like your costume" and have a nice chat with them. If they say yes, then glomp and still try to have a nice conversation with them. Isn't that part of what going to a con is all about? Interacting, talking with people?  :-\
Hear, hear.  100% agree.  Wow, you is smarts. ;)

FinalShadows

I say anything goes at fanime =).

<-- never been glomped. Happy hunting. =)
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 16, 2007, 07:36:40 PM

PyronIkari: Then you won't mind me kicking you in the face a couple of times.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chaye

>.>;;

Ignore him -_-'

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 16, 2007, 10:23:32 PM

lol

Shinsengumi

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 16, 2007, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 16, 2007, 10:23:32 PM

lol

WHAO!!! which out lol
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

FinalShadows

Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Glitch

I think it's apparent that trolls are not to be fed.

Dagger-6

It's okay.  I wasn't planning on eating that sandwich anyways.