Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

Miradori

Oy, glomping isn't always stupid, its how some people act that is. I would just like to point out that I have seen MUCH more stupid things than glomping happen at fanime.
Case in point:
       Fanime, 06
                Late I believe saturday night/uber early sunday morning, there was a very inebriated man in the halls, where everyone hangs out due to the large amount of otaku with insomnia, who sat down, spread his legs, and told people to kick him in a rather sensitive area for the males, or so I hear. After a short amount of time, there is a large mob, happily treating that area as you would a soccer ball. I have no idea how long this lasts, but I have a fairly good idea that with that night, he is out of the gene pool.

Stormfalcon

Just because there have been behaviors worse than glomping in the past doesn't invalidate the fact that glomping strangers (or even people you know) without permission is a bad idea.  If glomping without permission is how some people are, then I would suggest that those people work on their social skills before going to any gathering whatsoever.

Before someone calls the cops on them.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

BrightHeart76

"Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any physical contact with another person without their consent. In common law jurisdictions, including England and Wales and the USA, battery is the crime that represents the unlawful physical contact, though this distinction does not exist in all jurisdictions. Exceptions exist to cover unsolicited physical contact which amount to normal social behavior (for example, patting someone on the back): see (in England and Wales) Collins v. Wilcox [1984] 3 All ER 374." Quoted from Wikipedia.  Glow added for emphasis.

Glomping is not "normal social behavior".  If it was "normal social behavior" people would do it everywhere NOT just at conventions.  Thus, glomping a person without their consent is defined as assault and battery. 

I hate to be snarky about it, but you HAVE to ask.  Otherwise you will be labled "Glomperazzi" (like poperazzi...but with the glomping...ha ha...ok I tried) and the authorities willl be informed. 

Have fun, Glomp safely, everyone can enjoy fanime if we respect each other.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

FinalShadows

So if a bird poops on my head without my consent, then the bird has committed assault. Interesting...
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on November 22, 2007, 08:34:06 AM
"Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any physical contact with another person without their consent. In common law jurisdictions, including England and Wales and the USA, battery is the crime that represents the unlawful physical contact, though this distinction does not exist in all jurisdictions. Exceptions exist to cover unsolicited physical contact which amount to normal social behavior (for example, patting someone on the back): see (in England and Wales) Collins v. Wilcox [1984] 3 All ER 374." Quoted from Wikipedia.  Glow added for emphasis.

Glomping is not "normal social behavior".  If it was "normal social behavior" people would do it everywhere NOT just at conventions.  Thus, glomping a person without their consent is defined as assault and battery.

The disappointing thing is, most people were aware of the laws against assaults. It started as people glomping only people they knew would be okay with it, namely, friends and people that want that sort of attention. Over the years, seeing how people behave at conventions now-a-days, people assume that EVERYONE has the same mentality where everyone would think it's "cool" to be "open" and glomp people, even if they were complete strangers. And over time, newer people become introduced to the scene and follow their example.

It ISN'T normal social behavior, but most people that attend conventions reject the idea of "normal". But I think it can be a sign of affection in a normal setting, given the situation justifies it.

Like when I waited for Pyron at the airport when he came back from Japan. I was so excited to see him, I ran (not too fast, since it... was an airport and all) hugged him enough for him to somewhat lose his balance. I'm not sure if that'd be considered glomping, but if it is, then that'd be somewhat of an example how it was acceptable in a normal setting. It also makes sense, since he'd be a close friend and/or lover, and not a complete stranger.

QuoteI hate to be snarky about it, but you HAVE to ask.  Otherwise you will be labled "Glomperazzi" (like poperazzi...but with the glomping...ha ha...ok I tried) and the authorities willl be informed. 

Have fun, Glomp safely, everyone can enjoy fanime if we respect each other.

There are many things other than glomping that breach the line of respect, at conventions. XD;

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 23, 2007, 01:37:11 PM
So if a bird poops on my head without my consent, then the bird has committed assault. Interesting...

You must be an idiot to think that statement applies at all. Not very clever.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

sonyatheunicorn

XD Omigod

You crack me up :{P

zoupzuop2

Possibly. I would imagine assault would imply at least the ability to be aware of the action and responsibility of such an act as pooping or glomping. A bird can't really go "I'MMA CHARGIN' MAH POOPZOR" and WILLINGLY attack a person all that intentionally. In a similar sense, a glomp would only be legal if someone asked for it. Otherwise they run the risk of legal action if damage occurs, or even was CLOSE to occurring.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: zoupzuop2 on November 24, 2007, 05:10:47 PM
Possibly. I would imagine assault would imply at least the ability to be aware of the action and responsibility of such an act as pooping or glomping. A bird can't really go "I'MMA CHARGIN' MAH POOPZOR" and WILLINGLY attack a person all that intentionally. In a similar sense, a glomp would only be legal if someone asked for it. Otherwise they run the risk of legal action if damage occurs, or even was CLOSE to occurring.

lol, I'MMA CHARGIN MAH POOPZOR! nice one

iTSUMOxAi

Well, to the rukia/ichigo and anyone else who got glomped by lea , well im apologizing on her behalf.
you see shes kinda, ya know, uhhh...... not the brightest bulb =( we didnt know she was gonna glomp ya'. and uber sorries again TT_TT sorry sorry sorry and if you're still mad i'll give you cookies? (or pocky?idk. whatever you want thats edible i guess.)

i think the unwritten rule for glomping is do NOT glomp couples.

Jun-Watarase

You're missing the point if you think it's just "couples".

And, I don't know... from that video, it sorta looked like you guys DID know what she was going to do, seeing that it went on for how long? To how many people?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Reikon

Wow, luckily I never encountered her while I was there. If I saw her coming I'd probably try to dodge.

I never encountered much glomping while I was at Fanime, but it might be because my friends and I were in our own world. Some people just have no common sense ifi they glomp random people...

At least the costume I'm contemplating about doing next year isn't very glompable.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

iTSUMOxAi

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 02, 2007, 11:23:21 PM
You're missing the point if you think it's just "couples".

And, I don't know... from that video, it sorta looked like you guys DID know what she was going to do, seeing that it went on for how long? To how many people?
she doesnt listen >_>;; i was against it.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: iTSUMOxAi on December 05, 2007, 09:41:30 PM

Yet there's a 6 1/2 minute video on youtube of people laughing and narrarating her actions, put together, sound effects and text added, comments of anyone saying anything logical or remotely negative being deleted.

Yup sounds like you guys were totally against it and tried to stop her.

FanimaidCafe.com

Reikon

Quote from: iTSUMOxAi on December 05, 2007, 09:41:30 PM

Right, you were against it while you just stood there enjoying it. Makes sense.

People like you give con-goers a bad rep. Learn to use your head for once. The people at the con aren't there for your enjoyment.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Kyokun

Quote from: Mister_E on December 06, 2007, 08:43:08 AM
Oh please it's all in good fun
No.  It's not.  Not when people have specifically said they don't want to be glomped.  You are ruining THEIR fun at an event THEY paid for. 

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Kyokun on December 06, 2007, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on December 06, 2007, 08:43:08 AM
Oh please it's all in good fun
No.  It's not.  Not when people have specifically said they don't want to be glomped.  You are ruining THEIR fun at an event THEY paid for. 

QFFT.  In case it hasn't sunken in for some of you folks, there are those of us who are very uncomfortable with physical contact with strangers, let alone running tackle-hugs.  There are cosplayers who don't want their costumes ruined by glomps, either.  Glompers, do everyone a favor and get permission before letting loose the tackle-hugs.  If you can't get permission, no glomp.  How hard is that a concept to think about?

My DeviantArt Page:

FinalShadows

There should be like a separate badge that tells whether the person allows permission for glomping or not =P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Stormfalcon

Quote from: FinalShadows on December 06, 2007, 09:14:09 AM
There should be like a separate badge that tells whether the person allows permission for glomping or not =P

Nope.  That's been ruled out.  The best solution is for the prospective glomper to go up and get express permission from their target if they want to glomp them.  No permission, no glomp.

My DeviantArt Page:

Mister_E

Just put/wave your hands in a no reply, I've tryed and it works, or slide to the right or left
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%