Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

JohnnyAR

Quote from: dibbly on January 24, 2008, 06:23:28 PM
On glomping,

why hasnt there been a universal glomp notice for con-peeps. like a badge on the arm or a button? kinda like peace tying?
like,..

red= no glomp
blue= ask before glomp
green= please glomp

it might be a bit of a hassle but it would help people not getting upset and hurt, not to mention all the glomp lovers will be left to themselves.
Hell, they could put it on our badges, that way people would have to look, letting all involved know of it happening.

I already said something like that a few months ago

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: JohnnyAR on January 25, 2008, 09:52:44 AM
On glomping,

why hasnt there been a universal glomp notice for con-peeps. like a badge on the arm or a button? kinda like peace tying?
like,..

red= no glomp
blue= ask before glomp
green= please glomp

it might be a bit of a hassle but it would help people not getting upset and hurt, not to mention all the glomp lovers will be left to themselves.
Hell, they could put it on our badges, that way people would have to look, letting all involved know of it happening.

It was a stupid bad idea then, it's still a stupid bad idea now. Good job.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kyokun

Quote from: JohnnyAR on January 24, 2008, 02:00:39 PM

Quote from: Migi on January 17, 2008, 10:36:56 PM
Elevator Ninjas defiantly don't need to happen... EVER!

What do the elevator ninjas do? Wait around in elevator and annoy anyone that go in it? imagine a buisness man waitiong for the elevator door to open and as soon as it does the ninjas pop out and start poking him.
I believe elevator ninjas are the annoying people who mash into the elevators and then push every single floor making it impossible for anyone of normal mentality to use the elevator.  Why people find this amusing or want to risk pissing off hotel people so much that Fanime is banned from using the hotels in the future is beyond me.

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 25, 2008, 10:52:33 AM
On glomping,

like,..

red= no glomp
blue= ask before glomp
green= please glomp

In all truth it is a good, now its not an idea that will work because well...if they dont ask in the first place to "glomp" you, what makes you believe they will check to see if your glompable...and come on, these are the same people who when you tell them not to do something is the first thing they will/want to do.  So yes good idea, being able to have effect?...well very unlikely.

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 25, 2008, 10:52:33 AM
On glomping,

like,..

red= no glomp
blue= ask before glomp
green= please glomp

In all truth it is a good, now its not an idea that will work because well...if they dont ask in the first place to "glomp" you, what makes you believe they will check to see if your glompable...and come on, these are the same people who when you tell them not to do something is the first thing they will/want to do.  So yes good idea, being able to have effect?...well very unlikely.

That makes like... no sense. So you're saying it's still a good idea... even though it wouldn't work, and could possibly cause more problems.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 25, 2008, 01:54:08 PM

That makes like... no sense. So you're saying it's still a good idea... even though it wouldn't work, and could possibly cause more problems.

Summarize of my statement, yes it would be a good idea if we were dealing with a more mature crowd.  But since most of the fanime attendee aren't that mature, of course that idea wont work.

-Me

Moonblossom

I've posted my feelings in several other glomping discusson threads, but I felt the need to add my two cents in. I may not wear elaborate costumes but I've been molested by strangers and hatehatehate having people I'm not intimately familiar with (my family, my best friend.. that's about it) clinging on to me. On top of that, I've been diagnosed with an inner ear disorder that leads to me getting massive vertigo if I so much as turn my head weirdly, and makes me prone to random blackouts or full-on bouts of unconsciousness. The -last- thing I need is someone trying to tackle me for whatever reason.

You'd never run up and throw yourself at a random person in a shopping mall because you like their shoes, or think they have a cool hairstyle. Why the hell should it be any different because they're dressed as your favourite anime character, or in my case because I'm a reasonably well-known moderator for a website they're huge fans of? Yes, people have used that as a reason to try to glomp me, to ask for my autograph, and in one case to steal an empty plastic water bottle I'd just finished drinking from. While that may not have been excessively physical, it still weirded the hell out of me. It happened at AX though, not Fanime.

Like I said, it's all just a matter of respect. If you love someone's costume so much, or the person they're cosplaying as, give them the fucking respect they deserve. Go up and ask them if you can take a photo, or have a big hug. And if they say no, accept that. Don't try to whine, or pout, or look all butthurt. That's also happened to me.

"Can I have a hug?" "Uh, I'd rather not." "oh.. but.. you hate me, don't you?" "I don't even -know- you. But you're not exactly heading towards getting a big gold star in my Good Books."

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 25, 2008, 01:54:08 PM

Summarize of my statement, yes it would be a good idea if we were dealing with a more mature crowd.  But since most of the fanime attendee aren't that mature, of course that idea wont work.

So what you had said applies to nothing. o_0;

Not only that, but why would a "mature" crowd need stickers alerting people to be considerate of who would prefer to be touched, or untouched? And it isn't just Fanime. It's anime conventions in general. If people would stop rejecting the idea of common sense and basic courtesy, this problem wouldn't even exist.

And not I, Pyron, Moonblossom, or anyone else need to repeat the same thing over and over again... I'll make an analogy you might remember. Asking won't kill you.

FanimaidCafe.com

DemonLordZabuza

I think the funniest thing out of all of this is that the people who you all are complaining about...well don't look at this...heck aren't even at the boards.  But not saying it isn't something that should be discuss.  By all means, suggestions to make the con better always good :D

Now about the sticker and why a mature crowd would have the stickers...well for the purpose of the stickers.  If you have a no don't touch me, then you don't want to be touch.  But if you have sure glomp me sticker, it means if you feel incline to hug me then it is ok.  Kinda like in the work area you allow some poeple to hug you and others just get a hand shake.

Just like in the real world people have different comfort level with complete strangers.  Some don't like to be touched at all due to past experience, others don't really give a damn.

So for those who don't like others to touch them here is your solution.  Stay in big groups, people work well as meat shields.  If they were to penetrate just report them to the authorities.

Those are my final thoughts and all have a good con...that is four months away...yea

-Me

PyronIkari

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 09:03:17 PM
I think the funniest thing out of all of this is that the people who you all are complaining about...well don't look at this...heck aren't even at the boards.  But not saying it isn't something that should be discuss.  By all means, suggestions to make the con better always good :D
Then why are people arguing about how "it's all just in good fun! What's your problem!" and the fun amusing hate thread that was made towards me about how I hate glompers and they should stay away from me. Or the other posters saying that we should feel flattered if we get glomped?

QuoteNow about the sticker and why a mature crowd would have the stickers...well for the purpose of the stickers.  If you have a no don't touch me, then you don't want to be touch.  But if you have sure glomp me sticker, it means if you feel incline to hug me then it is ok.  Kinda like in the work area you allow some poeple to hug you and others just get a hand shake.
It would be pointless, because in a mature crowd, they would have the courtousy to ask... or motion to see if a response happens, etc. etc. etc.

So for those who don't like others to touch them here is your solution.  Stay in big groups, people work well as meat shields.  If they were to penetrate just report them to the authorities.
So the answer to prevent people from forcefully getting close to you and unwanted contact... is to crowd yourself around a bunch of people equally as close as someone who would hug you without warning.

... Huh? Did you just say that?

narutofan17

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 25, 2008, 09:03:17 PM

Now about the sticker and why a mature crowd would have the stickers...well for the purpose of the stickers.  If you have a no don't touch me, then you don't want to be touch.  But if you have sure glomp me sticker, it means if you feel incline to hug me then it is ok.  Kinda like in the work area you allow some people to hug you and others just get a hand shake.

Just like in the real world people have different comfort level with complete strangers.  Some don't like to be touched at all due to past experience, others don't really give a damn.

Those are my final thoughts and all have a good con...that is four months away...yea
I understand where your coming from but I really don't feel like being slapped with a label. But I do that saying in a big group won't work. That's like a wolf cornering a bunch of sheep. I'm going to laugh if they actually decide to do the sticker thing. I'll laugh because I won't wear them. I don't glomp but I like getting glomped. Not if I had to wear them or I'd get kicked out then I wouldn't have much of a choice but that wouldn't be cool.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: narutofan17 on January 25, 2008, 11:30:09 PM
I understand where your coming from but I really don't feel like being slapped with a label. But I do that saying in a big group won't work. That's like a wolf cornering a bunch of sheep. I'm going to laugh if they actually decide to do the sticker thing. I'll laugh because I won't wear them. I don't glomp but I like getting glomped. Not if I had to wear them or I'd get kicked out then I wouldn't have much of a choice but that wouldn't be cool.

I think it'd be more laughable if Fanime would actually spend unnecessary funding on something so inane.

FanimaidCafe.com

narutofan17

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 26, 2008, 12:19:49 AM
Quote from: narutofan17 on January 25, 2008, 11:30:09 PM

I think it'd be more laughable if Fanime would actually spend unnecessary funding on something so inane.
Yeah I know. That's why I know they won't do it or at least I think they won't do it.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Stormfalcon

There's also the matter of liability, which was raised in the thread in Ideas and Suggestions.  Issuing out tags like those proposed would open FanimeCon to liability issues because of their implicit condoning of glomping, and that's not something they're going to do, nor should they.  Quite frankly, they should be booting people out for unwanted glomping since it is technically a crime (unwanted contact, assault, etc.), but unfortunately, they're leaving it as a matter for us to sort for ourselves.

Folks, if you don't know for sure if your target wants to be glomped or not, don't glomp.  What's so hard to understand about that?
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

DemonLordZabuza

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 25, 2008, 11:07:35 PM

So the answer to prevent people from forcefully getting close to you and unwanted contact... is to crowd yourself around a bunch of people equally as close as someone who would hug you without warning.

... Huh? Did you just say that?

Haha I laugh thinking you understood how to read things, I guess I was mistaken.

But no to clarify to those who didn't understand.  The meat shield isn't complete strangers who would hug you with out warning.  Why would I suggest a solution if it would cause more problems?  The meat shield is your group of friends.  Like in any group, some people are more free with being touched than others in the group.  Kinda like how penguins keep warm in snow storms.  Except in this case you don't have to rotate positions. 

-Me

Moonblossom

Zabuza, that's still not a logical or feasible option in some cases. I can think of maybe eight or ten people I'm comfortable physically in close quarters with. A few of them will be at Fanime with me, the rest are family members who will be at the opposite side of the continent.

Why not just stop trying to come up with solutions that aid and accommodate the glompers and instead just allow everyone to have the space they need to be comfortable? We shouldn't need "meat shields", that's kind of the whole point of this discussion.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on January 26, 2008, 01:27:31 PM
Haha I laugh thinking you understood how to read things, I guess I was mistaken.

But no to clarify to those who didn't understand.  The meat shield isn't complete strangers who would hug you with out warning.  Why would I suggest a solution if it would cause more problems?  The meat shield is your group of friends.  Like in any group, some people are more free with being touched than others in the group.  Kinda like how penguins keep warm in snow storms.  Except in this case you don't have to rotate positions. 

You're kidding, right? I think by our responses, we're quite understanding of what you wrote... just somewhat baffled that someone, even with your little tact, could think of an idea as ridiculous as this. How about using some common sense, seeing that... I don't know, RESPECT of other people's space is a simple solution, which had been repeated OVER and OVER and OVER. But from what I've seen, even simple respect seems to be beyond you. In life, you eventually learn that the best solutions are the simple and most efficient, so before you come up with an idea that could possibly make things worse, the best advice I could offer you is to... use your head, think logically. It goes a long way.

I'm sorry, but you really need some of that common sense whacked into that thick skull of yours. I'm apologizing because I feel almost guilty, because I feel like I'm lecturing a child with some severe neurological disorder.

FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

I'm going to play along because, of god knows what reasoning...

Okay you realize for this to in anyway efficiently work, they'd have to be packed up against you as in literally pressed against you... right? Otherwise, it would only take a little bit of weaving through people if there's like say... a foot gap between people and you for someone to just run through and glomp you. Well unless the glomper is like, REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FAT. Then they'd probably need a little more room and people wouldn't have to be pressed up against you, but yeah, given even just a foot of space between people, someone can charge their way through rather easilly...

So no, your idea is still stupid in every single which way conceivable.

Now, on to a REALISTIC point. It shouldn't be the average normal person who has to take 500 precautions to prevent stupid people from causing them discomfort(especially since IT IS ILLEGAL TO GLOMP SOMEONE WITHOUT PERMISSION... Battery in the 1st yes, completely illegal, I've had 3 different lawyers tell me this already just in casual conversation because they came across this issue). People should follow basic rules... and laws when it concerns other people. Hell I frankly don't care what people generally do in their own private time or space, but when it affects others directly... then there's a problem. Idiots shouldn't glomp people unless the person clearly states they want to, then it's in their own private right to do so. Harassing someone when they say no, is just as annoying... and rather creepy.

narutofan17

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 26, 2008, 04:51:49 PM

I'm going to play along because, of god knows what reasoning...

Okay you realize for this to in anyway efficiently work, they'd have to be packed up against you as in literally pressed against you... right? Otherwise, it would only take a little bit of weaving through people if there's like say... a foot gap between people and you for someone to just run through and glomp you. Well unless the glomper is like, REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FAT. Then they'd probably need a little more room and people wouldn't have to be pressed up against you, but yeah, given even just a foot of space between people, someone can charge their way through rather easilly...

So no, your idea is still stupid in every single which way conceivable.

Now, on to a REALISTIC point. It shouldn't be the average normal person who has to take 500 precautions to prevent stupid people from causing them discomfort(especially since IT IS ILLEGAL TO GLOMP SOMEONE WITHOUT PERMISSION... Battery in the 1st yes, completely illegal, I've had 3 different lawyers tell me this already just in casual conversation because they came across this issue). People should follow basic rules... and laws when it concerns other people. Hell I frankly don't care what people generally do in their own private time or space, but when it affects others directly... then there's a problem. Idiots shouldn't glomp people unless the person clearly states they want to, then it's in their own private right to do so. Harassing someone when they say no, is just as annoying... and rather creepy.
Battery in the first degree?! Don't you think you taking this a little to the extreme. We all have different comfort zones. Some smaller then others and vice versa. No disrespect but your making it more complicated then it really is. If you don't won't to be glomped the tell them no. If they do it anyway then that gives you the permission to let loose on that individual. If you don't mind then the do it. It's that simple. I really can't see someone going to jail or getting sued for glomping someone.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: narutofan17 on January 28, 2008, 09:46:31 AM
Battery in the first degree?! Don't you think you taking this a little to the extreme. We all have different comfort zones. Some smaller then others and vice versa. No disrespect but your making it more complicated then it really is. If you don't won't to be glomped the tell them no. If they do it anyway then that gives you the permission to let loose on that individual. If you don't mind then the do it. It's that simple. I really can't see someone going to jail or getting sued for glomping someone.

Actually, yes, it is. But by other people's standards, no one is going to think of it as such a big deal that it'd warrant going out of their way to actually sue them. They have the right and ability to do so, but it's... too much work, and not worth the time. Though, I'm not sure on this but... I don't think it'd apply unless they're over the age of 18, rather, they'd just be  stupid kids and get their parents into trouble, instead.

FanimaidCafe.com