Things that need to not happen at Fanime

Started by PyronIkari, October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM

Xeluu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 28, 2008, 10:02:13 AM
Quote from: narutofan17 on January 28, 2008, 09:46:31 AM
Battery in the first degree?! Don't you think you taking this a little to the extreme. We all have different comfort zones. Some smaller then others and vice versa. No disrespect but your making it more complicated then it really is. If you don't won't to be glomped the tell them no. If they do it anyway then that gives you the permission to let loose on that individual. If you don't mind then the do it. It's that simple. I really can't see someone going to jail or getting sued for glomping someone.

Actually, yes, it is. But by other people's standards, no one is going to think of it as such a big deal that it'd warrant going out of their way to actually sue them. They have the right and ability to do so, but it's... too much work, and not worth the time. Though, I'm not sure on this but... I don't think it'd apply unless they're over the age of 18, rather, they'd just be  stupid kids and get their parents into trouble, instead.
Seconding this. Besides, when being glomped you don't ALWAYS have the chance to say no. Both myself and my sister who were in mascot costumes last year were glomped from behind. If you can't see them coming, you can't say no, and you can't brace yourself. And she is by no means (and no offense to her by this) built to handle anyone glomping her; she is rather light, and has had major back problems in the past. We both barely avoided being hurt when this happened, and this was at multiple different times throughout the con.

Just use common sense! Ask first! While they may not say yes to a glomp, more than likely they'll say yes to a hug and a picture.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

narutofan17

Battery in the first degree?! Don't you think you taking this a little to the extreme. We all have different comfort zones. Some smaller then others and vice versa. No disrespect but your making it more complicated then it really is. If you don't won't to be glomped the tell them no. If they do it anyway then that gives you the permission to let loose on that individual. If you don't mind then the do it. It's that simple. I really can't see someone going to jail or getting sued for glomping someone.

Actually, yes, it is. But by other people's standards, no one is going to think of it as such a big deal that it'd warrant going out of their way to actually sue them. They have the right and ability to do so, but it's... too much work, and not worth the time. Though, I'm not sure on this but... I don't think it'd apply unless they're over the age of 18, rather, they'd just be  stupid kids and get their parents into trouble, instead.
I understand that they can but I just don't see who would go to that extreme? Maybe I'm just thinking like a 20 year old right now. People 18 and old should know better and know what's right and wrong. If it's like a 12, 13 year old let them be kids. Now I can see you getting worried if it's like some 30 or 40 year old trying to glomp you...you know I take that back, people just need to grasp the concept of personal space and understand that some people don't like that comfort zone broken. Like you said, whether or not that person does press charges is up to them. I just don't see no point if you were hurt.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

narutofan17

Quote from: Xeluu on January 28, 2008, 12:12:34 PM

Seconding this. Besides, when being glomped you don't ALWAYS have the chance to say no. Both myself and my sister who were in mascot costumes last year were glomped from behind. If you can't see them coming, you can't say no, and you can't brace yourself. And she is by no means (and no offense to her by this) built to handle anyone glomping her; she is rather light, and has had major back problems in the past. We both barely avoided being hurt when this happened, and this was at multiple different times throughout the con.

Just use common sense! Ask first! While they may not say yes to a glomp, more than likely they'll say yes to a hug and a picture.
No see, in that aspect I can see someone taking things to the next level with glompers like that. What would had him if your sister would have got hurt. I'm just saying you can't punish the majority for what a handful of people are doing.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Xeluu

Oh, by no means am I saying "Ban Glomping!" I'm just saying that there really needs to be a rule set in place for those situations. Perhaps; and I know this costs Fanime more money that they shouldn't need to spend, they could include in the little bag when you register a sort of General Rules of the Con or some such. I, personally, think that's going a bit to the extreme, but you get the idea.

And I was told by Rovers after the fact last year that I can and should take down their badge number and report them. I will be doing so this year. My sister and I confronted someone who glomped her from behind and almost knocked her over, but obviously they didn't get it, since we saw them run off and do the same thing less than 5 minutes later to someone else.

Unfortunately, glomping is a problem that needs to be addressed. I have no problem with those who ask, but when you don't ask, I'm not going to be very happy if you knock me over and potentially break something in my costume, or part of ME.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

narutofan17

See, thats where I stand. I don't agree that we need to get rid of it but people need to be aware of what they are doing may cause harm to some. A set of rules would be decent but do got as far as to label who are the glompers because not all glompers are as crazy. I would say the majority of the time, (about 95%) the person asked me and I agreed. I say the rules are for that 5% that don't ask. BUT, like I said before I have a bias view because I've experience it different. Also, I've been glomped myself a handful of times without me knowing so believe me understand where some of you are coming from. Rules would be good but nothing more than that.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Moonblossom

I don't think anyone's suggesting we report people who ask first, glomp, thank you, and wander off. That would be pretty harsh.

"Hey, can I have a big hug?"
"Sure!"
GLOMP
"Hahah I'm reporting you"

People are suggesting that it's the ones with no courtesy or respect who are causing harm (be it physical, emotional, or costume-related damage) that get reported.

Jun-Watarase

No one's aiming to ban glomping, altogether. The action itself isn't the issue. Though, if glomping progressed into such a problem to the extent that it'd need to be BANNED... well, everyone has a problem. Not only will people be strictly monitored, but imagine how troublesome simple physical contact would become? And the people taking advantage of it? And what about the situations where people find glomping okay? Not only would it be unpleasant to con-goers, but it'd be a lot of work on staff.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

narutofan17

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 29, 2008, 07:35:20 AM
I don't think anyone's suggesting we report people who ask first, glomp, thank you, and wander off. That would be pretty harsh.

"Hey, can I have a big hug?"
"Sure!"
GLOMP
"Hahah I'm reporting you"

People are suggesting that it's the ones with no courtesy or respect who are causing harm (be it physical, emotional, or costume-related damage) that get reported.
But I'm sure if some people hate glomping that much they would go that far. Some people are that cruel. But I know what you mean. Just ask. It's very simple.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

narutofan17

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 29, 2008, 09:53:17 AM
No one's aiming to ban glomping, altogether. The action itself isn't the issue. Though, if glomping progressed into such a problem to the extent that it'd need to be BANNED... well, everyone has a problem. Not only will people be strictly monitored, but imagine how troublesome simple physical contact would become? And the people taking advantage of it? And what about the situations where people find glomping okay? Not only would it be unpleasant to con-goers, but it'd be a lot of work on staff.
Now from that aspect if the majority of the the glompers were doing the random attacks on people then I would go that as to banned it but that isn't the case. I'm sure the staff can get volunteers to help out with that. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would just love to volunteer at fanime if they got the chance.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

PyronIkari

Quote from: narutofan17 on January 30, 2008, 04:00:50 PM
Now from that aspect if the majority of the the glompers were doing the random attacks on people then I would go that as to banned it but that isn't the case. I'm sure the staff can get volunteers to help out with that. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would just love to volunteer at fanime if they got the chance.

It doesn't take a majority. It only takes one idiot to ruin something for everyone else because they don't care to listen.

narutofan17

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 30, 2008, 06:38:54 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on January 30, 2008, 04:00:50 PM

It doesn't take a majority. It only takes one idiot to ruin something for everyone else because they don't care to listen.
So your saying if one person does something then everyone must suffer? I'm just making sure I read it right.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

PyronIkari

Quote from: narutofan17 on January 31, 2008, 03:26:00 PMSo your saying if one person does something then everyone must suffer? I'm just making sure I read it right.

No, I'm saying, in the real world, that happens a lot. One person can fuck up things for everyone. Frankly, I don't give a damn if glompers want to glomp each other, want to sodomize each other, want to cut each other up, or whatever they want to do. However, that's for them to do in their own privacy, on their own time.

Okay let's put it this way. If you were at McDonalds, and you saw someone, a friend even, that you really care about, would you run and tackle them?

If you were at school? If you were on the street? If you were at a concert? If you were ANYWHERE else?

For the most part, no, people wouldn't. With rare exceptions like at airports or trainstations and the such when people haven't seen each other for long periods of times, and ESPECIALLY NEVER TO STRANGERS.

In most cases, the one that enjoy things like this, and do it, and like it done to them by strangers, and the such are one of two kinds of people.

Anti-social losers that don't get human contact otherwise because people don't like them for being anti-social losers...

and

attention whores.

Blah blah there are exceptions I know, but it's the majority. Seriously... Why? Why would you do it? Because it's fun...? Why? Because You enjoy hugging random complete strangers? You see in the majority of the world... that's considered creepy. Maybe that's why you're an anti-social loser that people don't like.

dibbly

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 31, 2008, 07:02:11 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on January 31, 2008, 03:26:00 PMSo your saying if one person does something then everyone must suffer? I'm just making sure I read it right.

No, I'm saying, in the real world, that happens a lot. One person can fuck up things for everyone. Frankly, I don't give a damn if glompers want to glomp each other, want to sodomize each other, want to cut each other up, or whatever they want to do. However, that's for them to do in their own privacy, on their own time.

Okay let's put it this way. If you were at McDonalds, and you saw someone, a friend even, that you really care about, would you run and tackle them?

If you were at school? If you were on the street? If you were at a concert? If you were ANYWHERE else?

For the most part, no, people wouldn't. With rare exceptions like at airports or trainstations and the such when people haven't seen each other for long periods of times, and ESPECIALLY NEVER TO STRANGERS.

In most cases, the one that enjoy things like this, and do it, and like it done to them by strangers, and the such are one of two kinds of people.

Anti-social losers that don't get human contact otherwise because people don't like them for being anti-social losers...

and

attention whores.

Blah blah there are exceptions I know, but it's the majority. Seriously... Why? Why would you do it? Because it's fun...? Why? Because You enjoy hugging random complete strangers? You see in the majority of the world... that's considered creepy. Maybe that's why you're an anti-social loser that people don't like.

fanime is a special place, meeting new friends, getting excited and "geeking out" and finding like minded minds. these anti social losers and attention whores make up a lot of this culture. just know you're walking into and among these people that people don't like.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Stormfalcon

The thing is, Fanime didn't use to be like that, nor should it have become like that in terms of the glomping.  Yeah, we're not exactly the most popular socially as anime (or any sort of media) fans, but that doesn't give people the excuse to wallow in it to the point of breaking laws (and yes, that's exactly what unwanted/unsolicited glomping is...a crime).
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

PyronIkari

Quote from: dibbly on February 02, 2008, 03:01:50 AM
fanime is a special place, meeting new friends, getting excited and "geeking out" and finding like minded minds. these anti social losers and attention whores make up a lot of this culture. just know you're walking into and among these people that people don't like.

No it's not. Yes, it is a place to find like minded people, meet new friends and the such... but it doesn't mean people can nor should act like idiots. Going to a con isn't an excuse to act like social boundries and somewhat respectable behavior don't exist.

And... "walking into and among these people"... No. Sorry but I've been attending conventions for longer than half of most of these people have been alive. It wasn't until post 2000 that people started acting like this. Even in the earlier days(Pre 2000) there were a lot of people that didn't know about the culture, and the such, but for the most part, people were respectable and realistic with action. The only "signs"I saw were those that had a legitimate reason for existing. Informing people of gatherings, or letting people know about events going on. Pointing out where different things were. Cosplayers were extremely rare, and the cosplayers that did exist were cosplayers that actually respected and loved the characters they were cosplaying. I could sit down with any cosplayer and talk to them about the series/the characters of whatever they were cosplaying from for hours.

And most importantly, people did not run at complete strangers and tackle them. People did not try to go up and hug complete strangers because "I LOVE THAT CHARACTER!" People asked to take pictures and were really polite. Sure, people would deviate into their own groups and mess around act like idiots within their own groups, but that was their own time and in their own circles.

Then post 2000, when JP cartoons and comics started to explode in the western world. Network TV airing it, and the big "Manga" boom in book stores and the such. And the idiots kept growing. Coincidentally, 2000 is the year with the largest increase in attendance for AX.

So no, we aren't going to where a bunch of idiots are. A bunch of idiots are going to where we are, and not bothering to try and be socially acceptable, or not acting like idiots.

aarondirebear

Thats what spiked armor is for *grins wickedly*

Actually, I don't mind being glomped, as long as there's ample warning.

I don't like being goosed or tickled though. (luckily, since i wasnt able to finish my Sephiroth costume, I shouldn't get geesed at all).

But passion born of an outfit isnt true passion, is it?

THEBROTHERHOOD_CEO

I agree, the glomping of complete strangers gives con goers a bad rep.  The signs for free hugs and free kisses (funny story - see below) probably arise out of being needy and never getting attention otherwise.  This stuff tends to die down after ten when most of the youngins head home, and the con takes a bit more of a civilized tone.  its tolerated because they make up the demographic of those coming into the con with money that they ABSOLUTELY want to spend on 4 dollar key chains and DVDs and plushie dolls and other ridiculously overpriced accoutrements of anime and manga.

i personally dont like it, but eh, live and let live so long as you dont try to glomp and get slime all over me. I dont want to smell your BO, I dont want to hear the ultra-high-pitch squeal you emit mid glomp, especially at close range.

Moonblossom

Quote from: THEBROTHERHOOD_CEO on February 03, 2008, 11:11:32 AMi personally dont like it, but eh, live and let live so long as you dont try to glomp and get slime all over me. I dont want to smell your BO, I dont want to hear the ultra-high-pitch squeal you emit mid glomp, especially at close range.

That's exactly what we're concerned about though. If Congoer A and Congoer B want to glomp each other in a corner, I have no issues with that. However, if Congoer A decides they want to glomp me, or Jun, or Pyron, or you, or any of us who find it uncomfortable or downright abhorrent, they should accept the fact that it's inappropriate and should not be done.

PyronIkari

Quote from: THEBROTHERHOOD_CEO on February 03, 2008, 11:11:32 AM
I agree, the glomping of complete strangers gives con goers a bad rep.  The signs for free hugs and free kisses (funny story - see below) probably arise out of being needy and never getting attention otherwise.  This stuff tends to die down after ten when most of the youngins head home, and the con takes a bit more of a civilized tone.  its tolerated because they make up the demographic of those coming into the con with money that they ABSOLUTELY want to spend on 4 dollar key chains and DVDs and plushie dolls and other ridiculously overpriced accoutrements of anime and manga.

i personally dont like it, but eh, live and let live so long as you dont try to glomp and get slime all over me. I dont want to smell your BO, I dont want to hear the ultra-high-pitch squeal you emit mid glomp, especially at close range.
Uhm.. It's usually the 14-20 yr olds that have the signs. You know... the awkward teen years where attention is craved and social outcasts hate the world.

Post 10 is the worst. That's when the worst of them are out, even if the numbers are less. THat's when the really creepy ones harass girls and have the least amount of shame.

THEBROTHERHOOD_CEO

well, what do you do suggest be done about it?

you could run away, but i like to hold my ground, and why should I have to run from creepy glompers?

I guess you could shout "DONT FUCKING TOUCH ME" but then you end up looking like a spaz.  Then everyone looks at you like you're the asshole, not the crazy bitch molesting you.

You could kick them in the nuts.  But there is always the if the person complains, you could have your badge stripped for defending yourself while being groped, though you are WELL WITHIN your rights to do so, and that is absolutely terrible. 

So what is to be done?