cosplay chess, dating game, and other ideas

Started by clawmaster, October 23, 2007, 11:13:06 AM

clawmaster

sorry I made this in the wrong section XP. so i had to make another one here in the right section. but yea heres what i made in the cosplay .com website and posting it on here.

Hi everyone. I made this same topic temporarily at the cosplay forums(Defective naruto) but now that the fanime forums are up now i can post what i posted from the other website. (from cosplay.com website)

hi I would post this in the fanime forums but they are not up yet. so I made one here for now but I got back to watching con stuff on youtube(THANK YOU UTUBE!) and basically throw your ideas out there where it might grab someone's attention working with fanime.

I have 2 ideas......1. cosplay chess and 2. dating game show thingy

yea you can support it or reject it if you want. I really want cosplay chess to happend at fanime and organized like other cons have like at anime boson or anime next. besides when do u see your favorite anime/video game/ original characters duke it out on a chess bored? Do I hear a masterchief vs Samus maybe? And as far at the dating game thing goes........I dk thought it would be funny if we did the dating game anime style......and of course doing the ending kiss to the crowd like in the original XD. anyways yea have at it fellow cosplayers.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Paladin Cecil

Do Cosplay Chess and Anime Dating Game. Those are awesome ideas. I could even participate in at least one of them if you'd like and are looking for participants.

mlarad

I would love to see the Human Cosplay Chess to be a main event at fanime 2008.
it would be awesome if fanime is the one in charge of the cosplay chess and make it a main event in one of days. Fanime is a four day convention so I dont think that will be a problem and a lot of people would love to participate!!!

Nyu_x

Spiritsnare

Yeah, whatever happened to the Cosplay Chess idea from 2006?

Also, this thread is fine here as is.
epic progressive

vox

Neo-Zaku

I would volunteer myself as a living chess piece. I have a Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho (School and Dark Tournament uniforms), Mousse from Ranma 1/2, Hakuro from Utawarerumono and am planning a few other costumes including a Guntank.

As for the dating game... with a little convincing I would be willing to try.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

Runewitt

i'd volunteer as a chesspiece in my mario cosplay, or if i do a shinigami costume, it'd be cool to do all black/white or naruto/bleach games.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

KindaRandomKris

Lolz. I wonder if cosplay chess will ever get off the ground.
If somebody else decides they wanna plan/organize the chess match(es), I'll gladly offer my services. Not as a piece or player, but something more behind the scenes.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Paladin Cecil

If you'd like to to participate, I've got multiple choices for who I could cosplay as. I could cosplay as Lloyd or Zelos (both from Tales of Symphonia) or I could also cosplay as Angelo from Dragon Quest 8, Jade from Tales of the Abyss, Duo from Gundam Wing or Tracey from Pokemon.

Ska_Kitti

As fun as Cosplay Chess sounds, there are meny conflicts:

-Money is needed to make the giant table/tarp with squares.
-No one I know uses the same set of rules/moves for one single game.
-Finding space for the giant table/tarp where the cosplayrs can all play and where the guests can also see the game in play.
-Finding enough people to participate in the game well enough to cooperate without goofing off. Here's a hint: we would need 32 "pieces".
-Finding two people who are eligible to play the "main players" who also agree on all the sets of rules/moves.

I do realize that I may be "crapping on a dream", these are the main factors to making the event go though. As far as I know for this year, it isn't going through because of these factors.

Fanime '06 is when I got my job as the Tabletop Head approximately three months before con. There was no way in H$%^ that I was going to be able to pull it all together in such a short period of time.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

addy

That would a be a great idea, i would love to participate.

vasher

It shouldn't be too expensive- get a bunch of sheets of black construction paper or plastic (or those sticky vinyl floor tiles) and as long as the ground is some other lighter color, it should be ok to alternate them.

In regards to rules, chess moves are very standardized, at least from my experience.

Main problems would be finding participants and a space to play.  They could use a smaller board, too- instead of two of most pieces, use one, etc.  What's in the big room before/after the Masquerade?

Sign-ups pre-con could be done, too.  Have 32 slots and some 'on-call' in case of cancellation.  If 60+ people can show up to the Bleach/Naruto gatherings for an hour or so, the open-to-all chess event should be able to get a fair few.

Runewitt

could even just use masking tape and black garbage bags to make the lines and the black squares, using whatever floor color for the white ones. i think using one of the panel rooms would be a good idea if it can be scheduled in, giving enough time to set up, play, and take down between panels.

a board with 3ftx3ft squares would need a 24ftx24ft space for the board, room around it for captured pieces, and possibly an elevated space for the players to sit.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Gwydion

The hall the arcade games are in when the swap meet isn't there always seems to have alot of unused space...why not there? Run it at the far end, away from the gathered arcade machines, whenever the Swap Meet isn't around, should be plenty of room.

addy

If you guys are looking for material, Why not just get card board? IT's cheap, and its durable. You won't have to worry much about people ripping the paper or having the garbage bags rip. You could always spray paint the cardboard black and white or green and white. And shouldn't there be 34 slots? 32 for the pieces and 2 for each side.

Ska_Kitti

I'd rather not get into the math of it all. That is not my major concern of the event. Please read my reasons again and I hope you will all understand that at this moment, I am not considering the event because of all those reasons.

I should also add that the participants would also need to understand the game so they know where to go. Saying, "Up two and over one for that Naruto cosplayer there!" will not work. Paper with numbers also go through my budget.

Chess rules, yes are standard. My concern is the way they are used. What if one players decides to use a cunning strategy that contradicts the players own understanding of the game? I do not want people bickering over rules.

In response to going to the Exhibit Hall 3, There wouldn't be a good place to view everyone unless I managed bleachers into my budget.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

addy

BunofGovt

Quote from: Ska_Kitti on November 14, 2007, 08:47:11 PM
As fun as Cosplay Chess sounds, there are meny conflicts:

-Money is needed to make the giant table/tarp with squares.

Ask for contributions or help with making the squares/playing area.  *raises hand*  I'm not that talented but between now and Fanime, we and others should be able to come up with something usable.  The cardboard idea sounds good, but we have to remember some of our pieces may be wearing heels which would punch through cardboard (did you mean like what boxes are made of?).  We should look for some material that would take being stepped on or stood on for an amount of time, something rug-like.  There's a discount fabric store near me that carries a variety of fabrics.  We might be able to find something suitable.  3'x3' sounds like a good size square.  32 black pieces, 32 white if we go that route.

-No one I know uses the same set of rules/moves for one single game.

You can set the rules we will be following.  Perhaps these can be included in the official post for the cosplay chess so everyone can read them.  The rules should be as simple as how to move and what piece may capture what piece.  Also, how the piece may be captured: if two sword wielding pieces, then a battle (easy now, no bloodshed) with the swords.  If Naruto vs Sanji, then Naruto would be allowed a kick movement and Sanji a swing of his blade(s).

Quote-Finding space for the giant table/tarp where the cosplayrs can all play and where the guests can also see the game in play.

This is tricky.  If we go with 3'x3' size squares, we'd need an area to play on at least 24' square.  Then extra space for the two chessplayers.  And space for an audience.

The only place I can think of is in the area below the stairs by the main entrance, but I don't know if it's at least 24' square (where's my measuring tape!) AND there'd be a problem with people on the stairs watching from above.  One way around this is to have foot-stools (yeah, I know 32 footstools will cost but if we can find some of those plastic ones on sale somewhere ...) so the pieces would sit while waiting to move.  Then stand when they move.  But then they'd have to take their stool with them, unless they were going to capture a piece ... Maybe have stage ninjas move the stools for the pieces?  This could really get interesting looking and involve more people than we want ...  32 pieces, 2 - 4 stage ninjas, 2 players, an emcee.

I still favor making this a performance rather than an actual game.  The moves are planned out ahead of time, and practiced, then the game is 'played' out in front of an audience.  Hell, if we could guarantee it would take only 15 minutes, maybe we could put this on at Masquerade as an intermission or something.  Just plan on the endgame, with only about 20 or fewer pieces left on the board and maybe 8 moves to capture the king.

-Finding enough people to participate in the game well enough to cooperate without goofing off. Here's a hint: we would need 32 "pieces".
Well, I've said enough about enough people ...

-Finding two people who are eligible to play the "main players" who also agree on all the sets of rules/moves.
Well, if it becomes a performance, we only need two people who can read the moves out loud.

I do realize that I may be "crapping on a dream", these are the main factors to making the event go though. As far as I know for this year, it isn't going through because of these factors.

Fanime '06 is when I got my job as the Tabletop Head approximately three months before con. There was no way in H$%^ that I was going to be able to pull it all together in such a short period of time.
Yeah, this may take more planning than we have time for.

Anyone, feel free to edit/comment on these ramblings ...  :-*
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

vasher

Even if cosplay chess is not feasible for this upcoming Fanime, it can't hurt to try and work things out for later ones.  After all, if we keep waiting until next year, it's never going to happen.

I like Ska_Kitti's ideas- definitely pre-plan the whole game.  Keep it short and entertaining.  Pieces should have special moves and the players could manage it so that characters get to 'attack' others from their series (Cloud vs. Sephiroth, Ichigo vs. Grimmjow, etc.).  The pieces probably should have some basic idea of how they can move (which can be posted on the web and gone over in a pre-game meeting), but since it's all planned in advance, it's not too big of a deal, yes?  And since each square has a longitude/latitude (post a pic of the board beforehand for the pieces to familiarize themselves with), call out 'Kakashi to D-5' or something.  It would be awesome to make it a halftime show in the Masquerade.

Not sure that sitting would be a good idea for the pieces on the board- fifteen or so minutes isn't very long to stand and mobility is pretty vital.

What about having it outside?  I'm trying to remember the distance from the fountains to the doorways... Likely to be hot out, though, and limiting to foot traffic.  *shrugs*

In regards to footing, might get some cheap astroturf stuff.  Reasonably sure it comes in black/white, and even if it doesn't, as long as we have contrasting colors, it shouldn't matter.  Alternatively, grab some textured fabric and duct tape squares of it to the floor.

Ska_Kitti

Well everyone has their own idea and they are very interesting. I am glad there is an interest in this event. With these new ideas, I have new concerns:

Vasher: Special moves? This is a chess game, not a modification of the popular game. Add new or reuqestd moves could make things more complicated. this also ties in with having the right person there. What if that Ichigo cosplayer doesn't show and Grimmjow is present? Vice versa? Placing the board outside in front of the doors is a fire hazard.

BunofGovt: I've already eyeballed the distance in the main area to the best of my ability. It is shy of the twenty-four foot mark. Fabric may work and given any budget I may possibly get, I am uncertain the chance of making anything out of fabric.
--
My own experience remembers the fountain area in the park north of the convention center. That could be the ideal place. However, I am uneducated if the fountains will be working or not. Please be aware that I am attend SJSU and do not have a lot of time to make the board. Yes, I realize that makes it convenient for the guests to come at my aid. Before you start volunteering, I have to get the approval of my Division Head before I can start planning anything. :] No worries to you all: I've already sent him an email about it.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay