Main Menu

weapons

Started by JohnnyAR, October 24, 2007, 02:24:46 PM

JohnnyAR

ok I know that minors can't purchase weapons at the FanimeCon, but does that count for foam and wooden weapons?

bahamutknightzero

Unfortunately, it does apply to wooden weapons. I know this from seeing someone trying to buy a bokken two years ago, even though the dealer thought the person looked older.

JohnnyAR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, wait does that count for foam nunchakus? So foam weapons don't count? Because they are softer than wooden weapons obviously.

sunrise-oasis

I wanted to sell Foam keyblades (foam boards) is it still legal to sell those on the Art dealers????

Nanashi

Officially, wooden weapons require ID. however, a few dealers will (from my experience) forget about that rule in the name of the almighty dollar.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Steve.Young

I think there's an updated weapons policy floating around somewhere. I remember one being sent off for review.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Nanashi on November 12, 2007, 08:25:02 PM
Officially, wooden weapons require ID. however, a few dealers will (from my experience) forget about that rule in the name of the almighty dollar.

oh yeah huh? I hope there'll be someone that'll sell me those nunchakus I always wanted :) they're foam and are chained, which is good because my old chord nunchaku is begining to have a knot in it or something. So if I get them I probably won't need to replace them for a loooooooooooooong time. Man I need to find another place, since I had to quit my old class becuase it costs too much, that can teach me more stuff on using the nunchakus, I already learned a few tricks and some that I learned myself, still need practice though............................

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Steve.Young on November 14, 2007, 09:52:33 AM
I think there's an updated weapons policy floating around somewhere. I remember one being sent off for review.

Do you remember where?

Kazuko

If it has an actual chain I think you have to be 18 to purchase

and if not then con ops will probally have to peace bond it to your arm/hand/whatever

JohnnyAR

Damn 18+ to buy it. If I peace bond it that means I can't use it in the con, right? I was planning to show people tricks. Actually Its a bad idea if I don't use it there, because there were time that my nunchakus would fly out of my hand, so yeah I might hurt someone, heh.

RanyouSaotome

Quote from: JohnnyAR on November 15, 2007, 03:28:46 PM
Damn 18+ to buy it. If I peace bond it that means I can't use it in the con, right? I was planning to show people tricks. Actually Its a bad idea if I don't use it there, because there were time that my nunchakus would fly out of my hand, so yeah I might hurt someone, heh.

With that said I have to agree with not using them at all. I mean if you were an expert and was doing so on stage as an exhibition that would be different. Though IF and I repeat IF you did manage to buy em then it should be more then enough for friends and all to see them peace bonded to you right? Better to be safe not only for yourself but for any innocent Fanimaninacs around you  ;) Cides with MY luck I would probably be the unsuspecting target hehe.

Jadrian

Hi, this is Kim from BowenDragon1.. we are a weapons dealer at Fanime ..you should not find any sort of nunchukas in dealer room.. because they are illegal to sell in california except in a dojo . Yes you must be 18 to buy bokkens i know its a dumb rule but it is a rule :(  very few states can you be 16 to buy them. If you need anything that is legal, that you think is a special request contact me at bowendragon1.com and ill try and have it there :)

have a good day .

yamaneko

Hmm. . .

Well, last year, I bought a shinai and a pair of foam nunchuks at the con, and I was only 13. o.o They didn't ask for ID, either.
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

JohnnyAR

Quote from: yamaneko on January 13, 2008, 06:27:27 PM
Hmm. . .

Well, last year, I bought a shinai and a pair of foam nunchuks at the con, and I was only 13. o.o They didn't ask for ID, either.

I knew I should've bought those nunchakus! It might be too late now! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FanFicGuru

Quote from: yamaneko on January 13, 2008, 06:27:27 PM
Hmm. . .

I wouldn't make a big deal out of that...you shouldn't have been able to purchase either and the vendor who sold you those things could get in big trouble.

Bowendragon is a really good vendor, I hope they do the collectible swords again. I got mine from last year. Way better than a T-shirt. hehehe
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

JohnnyAR

Well next year I'm gonna buy chain nunchakus, because there's knot or some type of lump-thingy in the chord that connects my nunchakus, so I can replace it with chain nunchakus which will last me much longer!

talu-chan

Does the policy on weapons have something that includes having to take the purchased weapon to one's room or car?
These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume.

Runewitt

peaches, yes it does. they will box any weapon, tape it shut so you cant open and play with it and tell you to take it to the room or car, or you can get certain things piece bonded to you by staff.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Xeluu

Quote from: Runewitt on January 29, 2008, 03:17:08 AM
peaches, yes it does. they will box any weapon, tape it shut so you cant open and play with it and tell you to take it to the room or car, or you can get certain things piece bonded to you by staff.
^Truth.

Only thing though: I thought staff wouldn't peace-bond anything to you unless it was part of your costume?

And if you're underage and are purchasing or trying to purchase the weapons, please don't. It's the law, and you don't really want Fanime or the Dealers to get into trouble, do you?
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Xeluu on January 31, 2008, 02:49:41 AM
Quote from: Runewitt on January 29, 2008, 03:17:08 AM
^Truth.

Only thing though: I thought staff wouldn't peace-bond anything to you unless it was part of your costume?

And if you're underage and are purchasing or trying to purchase the weapons, please don't. It's the law, and you don't really want Fanime or the Dealers to get into trouble, do you?

"Costume" is a pretty loose term. Last year after I got my Fanime sword I grabbed a "Chinese suit" (one of those long robes) and then had them peace-bond the sword to me.

It didn't work out, but they did it anyways.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015