Black And White Ball 2009! Updated 3/14/09 (Location Announced!)

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 04:56:09 AM

boots01

Well, due to the very apparent success of the Black and White Ball, by popular demand, will be back in 2009!  I would like to thank everyone who attended in 2008 and will be working very hard to make sure that 2009 is just as fun as 2008 was.  This coming year, we may see some changes to the ball however.  As many of you noticed, the room was packed again for the vast majority of the Ball.  In an effort to increase the amount of space dancers have on the floor, we will be keeping the dress code as it seemed to go over well and we will implement line control again as needed.  We may also be moving to a bigger room but nothing is final yet.

Ok.  Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, I will be taking song requests prior to the Ball, but will not be able to take them at the time of the event.  If you would like to request a song, please post here and email me at [email protected].  Additionally, I can't guarantee that all requests will be played.  Songs will have to be ballroom dancable.  If you can provide an mp3 of the song you would like to request, that will guarantee that at least you have a shot at getting it played.  I may post the playlist before the con - or not.  I will have to see how much time I have :P  Last year, my playlist wasn't final until only a few hours before the Ball.

Lastly, I am curious how people liked the lessons that were offered in 2008.  We are looking at various styles for 2009 and I would like to know what you would be interested in learning.  If you would like to learn a specific type of ballroom dancing, speak up!  This event is, like the convention, by fans for fans so I would like any feedback and/or suggestions on ways to make this event even better.

UPDATE:  3.14159265358979323846...

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!  We have our room and I can now announce where it is!  Are you ready?  We are going to be in the Fairmont's Regency Ballroom this year!  This place is gorgeous and will take the ball to a new height.  For everyone who complained about the room not being big enough and everyone who waited in line the last two years, THANK YOU!  You wanted a bigger room, you got it and it's beautiful to boot!  Let's see if we can get enough people this year to have a line again (secretly likes having a long line to get in to his event - with the room full of course)!
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Nina Star 9

I loved the B&W ball and stayed for the entire thing, save water breaks, which leads me to a question.

If you have a capacity check and someone leaves just for something like water, would there be an easy way to get back in, or would that person have to wait around outside until they can get back in? Hopefully you can scare a room with a water fountain and/or put a few of those water dispensers inside of the room. We don't want anyone fainting from the heat, though with a larger room and/or fewer people, that would cut down on some of the heat.

The songs last year wer enot at all what I expected from the ball, but it was a good thing. I liked the choice of music. However, I noticed that there was a lacking of songs from Asian sources. Either it was just me not knowing the songs, or there was a lack of Asian songs. Basically, I would like more of the jazzier selections to be of Asian origin. Two SEAT BELTS songs were played (unless there were others when I was taking a short break outside), but I was dissapointed in going with the very sterotypical Tank! and Waltz for Zizi. I would like more Cowboy Bebop music, but I would like the good stuff. Rush, Autumn in Ganymede, Clutch, etc. None of those songs that have been played to death! Also, from the selection I heard last year, the band JiLL-Decoy association would fit in pretty well with the selection, I will email you with more information on them if you would like, but their webpage can be found here. I can provide you with quite a few tracks if you would like. Some of their songs would certainly be better for the regular dance, but I can help you in choosing some songs for the ball over email if you are intrested. Give me time to think, and I'm sure I'l think of more requests. Sorry that not too many are typical 'ballroom' type music, but mostly based off of last year's selections.

I personally missed the lessons last year (they were at the same time as the karaoke contest), and I cannot dance. At all. I would love to do the lessons next year. I think that there need to be multiple lessons sessions (a few for beginners, a couple for intermediate dancers, and one for people that can already dance well and want something more advanced, of course, if there are resources and time), so that people who are busy during the lessons can still catch a session. If possible, timing them so that people can 'move up' in the ranks from begginer to intermediate or intermediate to advanced, but still having them scattered. (So not having the intermediate or advanced lessons first and then all the beginner lessons, instead opting for a staggared set up.) I would love to learn diffrent types of dancing as well, since I really do know nothing about how to dance.

If you guys enforce a dress code, I will need a new outfit, becuase my costume last year, though beautiful and perfect for a black and white ball, was very impractical because of a strapless top and plenty of trailing chiffon. I think that a dress code is a good idea to help keep the theme going, but make it a 'looser' dress code, so that more people can participate, they just need to be in something semi-fancy, prefferably black and white, or a cosplay.

The ball last year was probably the highlight of my trip last year, and I cannot wait to see it return! :D

Raedyn

I didn't make it to the ball or the ballroom lessons this year, but I request Waltz for the Moon from Final Fantasy VIII, please.  If that wasn't on last year's songlist, I'm surprised and disappointed.  ;D

The dress code is a good idea, but I think very light and very dark colored costumes should be allowed, for flexibility.  Also, separating lessons into beginning, intermediate, and advanced would be great--I already know how to waltz, and it would be a bit pointless to learn the box step again.
Costumes:

Rinoa Heartilly (Ballroom Attire) (Final Fantasy VIII). 95%

Rinoa Heartilly (Hand-Knit) (Final Fantasy VIII).  90%

Karla (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken).  20%

IamTetsuo

The B&W ball was the surprise hit for me in 07.  The lessons were essential, even with the lessons I had two left feet, so to say.  I will most definatly attend again.

Also I'm guessing since the title has been changed to Black and White Ball you are moving away from the masquerade theme?  (I think there were like 5 people besides me wearing masks...)

OniCourseMusha

I am definitely gonna take the ballroom dancing lesson bringing along gf!  I really enjoyed it! It felt like how I used to remember formal dress up back in high school.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Nina Star 9

Quote from: IamTetsuo on October 29, 2007, 01:01:58 AMAlso I'm guessing since the title has been changed to Black and White Ball you are moving away from the masquerade theme?  (I think there were like 5 people besides me wearing masks...)
One of those was me, but I do not reccomend wearing a mask on a stick for dancing, it's a pain to hold.

I rather liked the masquerade theme last year, but the name confused a lot of people and they couldn't figure out the diffrence between the "masquerade ball" and the "masquerade", the cosplay competition.

IamTetsuo

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on October 29, 2007, 06:46:40 AM
Quote from: IamTetsuo on October 29, 2007, 01:01:58 AMAlso I'm guessing since the title has been changed to Black and White Ball you are moving away from the masquerade theme?  (I think there were like 5 people besides me wearing masks...)
One of those was me, but I do not reccomend wearing a mask on a stick for dancing, it's a pain to hold.

Mine was a mask I could wear (I was the guy with the silver half-crescent moon mask).  It was fun, but got a little sweaty.  Garnered me a few compliments though!  :D

dibbly

I loved the ball, as did my G/F.
im not sure the regulating of people would go over well, but dress code should certainly be enforced=)
oh! and for requests
waltz for zizi- was magic.
small prayer- the fruits basket ending theme.
i'll look for more tho ^^;;
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Rainbow Ichi

If ever you do implement a flexible dress code, i'd appreciate it if it was announced months before Fanime begins ^__^

oh oh! I forgot how to dance them classic dances. I had them during high school tho, the waltz and the cha-cha, how about recapping it for me? I'd love to have some lessons again, i do very well know I had bad grades for that ^__^ Or how about for those in the bay-area, one weekend practice before Fanime begins?
Those coming from different States would sound nice if they group up and find someone to teach them how to dance too a week or weekend before the convention.

btw, I have never attended the B&W Ball 2007 since it was my first Fanime and I was just shy to pop my face out of nowhere in unfamiliar ground, hopefully ill try to attend 2008 and be prepared for all the events that overwhelmed me this year :D
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

boots01

Quote from: Rainbow Ichi on November 19, 2007, 09:51:49 AM
btw, I have never attended the B&W Ball 2007 since it was my first Fanime and I was just shy to pop my face out of nowhere in unfamiliar ground, hopefully ill try to attend 2008 and be prepared for all the events that overwhelmed me this year :D

please do come this year.  and to anyone who's never been before, don't worry.  you wont be alone and while this isn't a mixer or anything, you never know who you might meet.  maybe you'll make a new friend, maybe you'll see one of the guest of honor and get a chance to talk to them or maybe you'll meet the love of your life and find the person you're going to marry and live out the rest of your life with.  or not.  who knows who you'll meet.  in any case, just come.

Quote from: boots01 on October 25, 2007, 04:56:09 AMIn an effort to increase the amount of space dancers have on the floor, we may be implementing some kind of capacity check.  If the room is too full, we may stop allowing people into the Ball until such time as someone leaves etc. or we might go with a dress code.  We may also be moving to a bigger room but nothing is final yet.

so a little update for you all.  we are looking at moving the dance and ball to the J.  right now, that is the plan anyway.  unfortunately, it hinges on nailing down venues for things like music fest and the masquerade.  until those are decided, the location will be up in the air. the dress code seems to be appealing to people so here you go.

the ball is a formal event.  it is preferred that you wear fromal attire.  women, this means a nice, long dress, and men, a suit.  alternately, a costume that could be considered formal would be acceptable (lolita etc.).  we will again be offering a coat check system which, admittedly, worked last year but could be improved.

well, that's all for now.  keep checking back as i will be posting more details as they become available.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

BrightHeart76

Quote from: boots01 on November 21, 2007, 12:28:48 AM

the ball is a formal event.  it is preferred that you wear fromal attire.  women, this means a nice, long dress, and men, a suit.  alternately, a costume that could be considered formal would be acceptable (lolita etc.).  we will again be offering a coat check system which, admittedly, worked last year but could be improved.

well, that's all for now.  keep checking back as i will be posting more details as they become available.

YAY!  I'm so glad to hear this now!  It's so much easier to find a formal type dress during this season.  I'm not a teenager, and the dresses out near fanime time are Prom dresses...I look like an idiot in a prom dress. 

It'll be nice to have a chance to dress formal.  The only clarification I'd need is will you allow a coctail dress?  They are not floor length, but usally covers the knee.  They are much more appropriate for my age then a full gown, but a gown can be purchased if I must.  Please let me know.   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

boots01

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on November 21, 2007, 04:40:18 PM
alternately, a costume that could be considered formal would be acceptable (lolita etc.).

YAY!  I'm so glad to hear this now!  It's so much easier to find a formal type dress during this season.  I'm not a teenager, and the dresses out near fanime time are Prom dresses...I look like an idiot in a prom dress. 

It'll be nice to have a chance to dress formal.  The only clarification I'd need is will you allow a coctail dress?  They are not floor length, but usally covers the knee.  They are much more appropriate for my age then a full gown, but a gown can be purchased if I must.  Please let me know.   :D

see above :P
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Nina Star 9

I personally think prom dresses look silly on anyone. ;P

Hopefully the dress code will not be strict enough to allow me to wear my prom dress, though, which is very red. (I made it, so it is nothing like all the other prom dresses out there.) Otherwise I'd have to show up in an extremly imparactical outfit (like last year) or a lolita outfit.

I can make my mask black and white, if nothing else.

Raedyn

If I'm wearing a cosplay that is formal and white, will I be allowed in if it's above the knee?  Long dresses don't exactly flatter me since I'm short, and I've already decided to wear this to the con anyway, so it would be nice not to have to add another item to my list of things to bring.

Dress in question:
Costumes:

Rinoa Heartilly (Ballroom Attire) (Final Fantasy VIII). 95%

Rinoa Heartilly (Hand-Knit) (Final Fantasy VIII).  90%

Karla (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken).  20%

DivineChaos

Gah, I tried to read through all the posts before getting my suggestion just in case of risking re-stating an idea, but then I realized it's way too late at night for me to be reading a bunch of stuff.  So, sorry.

First, I'd suggest that opening Sailor Moon theme, I'll get the artist ASAP, but yeah, that's my suggestion for the song.  It really isn't a joke, because honestly, one of my friends had it as her song when her and her friends performed as a group for something or other (I can't remember what), and it was a nice change of pace.

Oh, if you want, you could always hand out masks at the entrance of wherever the ball is going to be held.  That'd ensure that people wore them.  It would also get rid of those not wearing them, unless they had reason.  This would free up room (in theory), and serve to better enforce the unwritten rules of the Black and White Balls.

bunnycorpse

Think of Me- Phantom of the Opera
that'll be a nice one.

Mister_E

I'm wearing my mask, black jacket, and a United Kingdom Tie *it's freaky looking*
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

yamaneko

Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

Vividwings

I went last year and enjoyed it, and I'm going again this year. I hope there's more room, because it's hard to dance when it's really crowded. A bigger room and actually enforcing the dress code would be really nice.

Nightroad

I LOVED IT last year!!!!!!! ;D it was loads of fun!!! But if you could get more room that would be Great! I actally didn't take leasons at fanime because I have been taking leasons for over a year now! ;) I LOVE TO DANCE!!!!!!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/