Black And White Ball 2008 Updated 4/21

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 05:04:53 AM

OTL

can I request a cross-step waltz mixer at some point? Its a lot of fun and everyone gets to dance with everyone else >:D

btw this will be my first anime convention ever. xD I can't believe you guys have a ballroom dance, thats so awesome. (I just started to learn social dances this year)

JTchinoy

requesting some good old james brown/ funk music. :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

questionette

I'm wondering about the dress code....
I know it says dress up-y..but how dress up-y??

I got this dress today and it looks more dressy when i'm wearing it -_-

I also did a few alterations so the cleavage isnt EXTREME
but anyways, is this okay? What is everyone else wearing?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: questionette on May 04, 2008, 07:56:04 PM
I'm wondering about the dress code....
I know it says dress up-y..but how dress up-y??

I got this dress today and it looks more dressy when i'm wearing it -_-

I also did a few alterations so the cleavage isnt EXTREME
but anyways, is this okay? What is everyone else wearing?
yea, im pretty sure that's fine
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

akira_chan

I'd like to request "Don't be afraid" by Elisa Fiorillo from the MGS3 soundtrack

honmani

I didn't go to this last year, but I am really looking forward to it this year. I heard there was a ton of swing though, and I'm hoping it's more well rounded than that XD. I've been taking ballroom classes for the past year and it's time for some argentine tango and salsa outside of school~

SEN-5241

I liked the dance lessons from last year a lot. it was way fun. just wish i hadmore time to practice.

boots01

practice you say?  well then, come to the lessons!  we have several and there will be plenty of time for practice at the lessons. 
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

trale

So has the location been finalized? Is the ball in the same room as last year?

boots01

the ball will be in the J on the hilton side of the convention center.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Raedyn

Quick question--are the lessons going to be held in the same place as the ball?
Costumes:

Rinoa Heartilly (Ballroom Attire) (Final Fantasy VIII). 95%

Rinoa Heartilly (Hand-Knit) (Final Fantasy VIII).  90%

Karla (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken).  20%

jemz

Quote from: Raedyn on May 20, 2008, 10:29:20 AM
Quick question--are the lessons going to be held in the same place as the ball?

Yes they are! :D Feel free to look at the downloadable schedule on the website to find lessons you're interested in taking.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

chikhra

Just wondering, is it acceptable to wear your cosplay outfit to the lessons?

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Is it okay if I wear a dress above the knee?

jemz

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on May 23, 2008, 11:05:23 AM
Is it okay if I wear a dress above the knee?

Yes, cocktail length is fine! :D but no miniskirts. It's a bit hard to stay appropriately covered while twirling gracefully on the dance floor.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

felicity869

I really liked that there were so many lessons this year, it seemed like people for the most part knew what they were doing out on the dance floor. I also felt that enforcing a dress code is a godo idea. Everyone looked really nice.

How do you guys not understand that this needs a HUGE room. I'm glad this year's room is bigger than last year but clearly not enough. How long were people stuck standing in line? When I left the line still went all the way down the hall and then curved. Bad planning :(

kimmy

the ball was really awsome! they played great music for classic ball room dancing such as the tango the chacha, the salsa, waltz ect. they even had swing which was totally cool. there were lots of styles to dance too. It was nice too because you didnt really need to be an expert dancing these things. though it might have been nice to know the moves a little more you didnt really need to. I really enjoyed it. I danced with my friends and had an opportunity to talk with some of the people that were more experienced with the classic ball room dances. from what i saw people were also very respectable about asking each other to dance. if you got rejected it wasnt a down right denying. it was much more respectable.

i also really liked the dress code. it was strict but not too strict. i liked that it was ment for an actual ballroom dance, formal attire and the like. very nice. it made it so that the people who wanted to be there. could be there! and made it so the event was formal and not raving. very nice!

i think what could have been done differently, was a bigger room. it was very very popular in the sense that the line was out the door and around the corner to get in and only certain people could get in. alot of the times the people who did get in, staid for the whole thing or nearly the whole thing so im sure alot of people who wanted to dance didnt get in. i got luck in that i was there early and got in early. but others werent so fortunate.

i think that a bigger room would also allow for the security to be less rude. i got a little fed up with the security because when i sat down for only one dance they thought i was sitting there for the entire thing which wasnt the case! i was simpley sitting down for one dance because i needed a chance to breathe. and i know there were people sitting there for a while but i think they shouldve been allowed too (another reason for a larger room, some people like to watch the dance) and then there was another time where we went out for water and we got told to leave...then why is there water outside!? so i think over all a bigger room would be better i know hotels have actual ballroom dance areas....we need to use soemthing like that so that everyone who wants to come CAN.

over all it was an amazing ballroom dance. and i can NOT WAIT for next years! this time i'll be better prepared with a nice dress rather then my academy uniform (though it was still an amazing uniform, just i would have liked something a little dressier for such a formal occasion). it was nice to be able to go to an actual formal dance. i really enjoyed myself. <3

Tony

Quote from: felicity869 on May 26, 2008, 03:28:57 PM
How do you guys not understand that this needs a HUGE room. I'm glad this year's room is bigger than last year but clearly not enough. How long were people stuck standing in line? When I left the line still went all the way down the hall and then curved. Bad planning :(
Apologies! We moved it to a room that was 50% bigger and even removed extra equipment in order to expand the size... but it still wasn't enough. We're looking at making the room an additional 50% larger for next year, but now our problem is finding a big enough dance floor... in any case, it's definitely something we're working on!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

thesmallwonder

This years Black and White ball was beautiful, wonderful music and friendly fans and dancers.

However, I think the way that the staff handled the over crowding of the room was outright appalling. Denying people the basic necessities of water, and restroom facilities in order to allow more people in, and snipping at people who are sitting, is asking for not only a law suit, but an ambulance. And not mentioning it in the program or to the people who were in the lines before the dance started is a really low class move.

There was an absolute disregard of respect, and safety for the attendants.

I understand the thought behind it, monitoring people flow and allowing more people to come in to enjoy it, but this was the best you could think of? Smoking out attendees with dehydration during incredibly strenuous activity in a poorly ventilated room and
the need to relieve ones self? I wasn't aware a POW camp experience came with my exhibitor ticket.

Obviously the room wasn't big enough, it may never be. Why don't you instead focus on a system that cycles people through. Group numbers, so one group is scheduled from 7-8 another 8-9 another 9-10. A system as opposed to rude questionably legal activities. I've seen this work beautifully during other cons, and helps prevent too large of lines from forming. Even if you don't like that idea, surely there's another way to handle the situation.

questionette

Quote from: thesmallwonder on June 05, 2008, 10:00:30 PM
This years Black and White ball was beautiful, wonderful music and friendly fans and dancers.

However, I think the way that the staff handled the over crowding of the room was outright appalling. Denying people the basic necessities of water, and restroom facilities in order to allow more people in, and snipping at people who are sitting, is asking for not only a law suit, but an ambulance.

XD Yeah, I did hear that some people got sent to the back of the line when they went out for water, and I was like FREAKIN' out because I wanted water but I didn't want to wait...but when I got thirsty there was not problem, so idk what happened with that, maybe just a rogue staffer wanted to be a jerk.