Black And White Ball 2008: Updated 4/21

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 05:06:48 AM

boots01

Well, due to the appearant success of the Black and White Ball, by popular demand, will be back in 2008!  I would like to thank everyone who attended in 2007 and will be working very hard to make sure that 2008 is just as fun as 2007 was.  This coming year, we may see some changes to the ball however.  As many of you noticed, the room was packed for the vast majority of the Ball which made ballroom dancing difficult to say the least.  In an effort to increase the amount of space dancers have on the floor, we may be implementing some kind of capacity check.  If the room is too full, we may stop allowing people into the Ball until such time as someone leaves etc. or we might go with a dress code.  We may also be moving to a bigger room but nothing is final yet.

Ok.  Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, I will be taking song requests prior to the event, but will not be able to take them at the time of the event.  If you would like to request a song, please post here and email me at [email protected].  Additionally, I can't guarantee that all requests will be played.  Songs will have to be ballroom dancable.  If you can provide an mp3 of the song you would like to request, that will guarantee that at least you have a shot at getting it played.  I may post the playlist before the con - or not.  I will have to see how much time I have :P

Lastly, I am curious how people liked the lessons that were offered in 2007.  We are considering trying to increase the number of lessons and possibly styles for 2008.  If you would like to learn a specific type of ballroom dancing, speak up! Maybe we can put together a lesson.  This event is, like the convention, by fans for fans so I would like any feedback and/or suggestions on ways to make this event even better.

Update 2/18/08:
The Dress Code is now online on the Fanime website.  Please take a look so you are prepared when you arrive.

Update 4/21/08
The Schedule of lessons has been posted on the Fanime website.  Please take a look so you can start to plan your weekend!
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Kanda_Cho

The lessons were so much fun! And incredibly funny. However, I do wish that there was more practice because I missed the first half and therefore missed all sorts of kinds of dancing. And I missed it because it took me awhile to find the room... for various reasons.

And perhaps a bigger room would be best instead of capacity checks and the like.

Oniko

I didnt go becuase I had nothing fancy to wear.  I deffiantly want to go this wear, already told my boyfriend about it.  I'd love to go to some lessons.  I think a dress code is a great idea to give the ball the effect of well a real ball.  You only get to dress up that fancy for prom XD and mine was horrible 4 years ago, I'd love to be fancy again.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Runewitt

i missed the lessons and the ball this year, so i really want to go next time around.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

BrightHeart76

People who went last year.  One of the reasons I didn't go was because I was afraid I'd be the only single person there with no one to dance with.  Do you remember if there were other people there with no one to dance with?  Is it a problem that I couldn't dance to save my life (lessons don't help, I'm a hopeless graceless klutz)? 

Basically I'm asking "Will there be people willing to dance with a lonely pink haired chick who dances like a duck"?  Cause if so...I'm totally there.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on November 13, 2007, 08:33:55 PM
People who went last year.  One of the reasons I didn't go was because I was afraid I'd be the only single person there with no one to dance with.  Do you remember if there were other people there with no one to dance with?  Is it a problem that I couldn't dance to save my life (lessons don't help, I'm a hopeless graceless klutz)? 

Basically I'm asking "Will there be people willing to dance with a lonely pink haired chick who dances like a duck"?  Cause if so...I'm totally there.   ;D
Oh, yes. Plenty of people without a partner. Sometimes I couldn't find a partner so I had to sit out, but a lot of the time, I was either asking people to dance or people were asking me. (I'm a bit too shy to just ask a totally random person to dance, especially since I'm in the same boat as you concerning dancing skills, but I met a few really cool people and would dance with them if I had no one else, which is a fun way to do it.) I stayed the entire dance, and had insane amounts of fun. :D

Steve.Young

Need to have more lessons in my opinion.

I couldn't attend the scheduled ones =P
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Kanda_Cho

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on November 14, 2007, 06:46:25 AM

Oh, yes. Plenty of people without a partner. Sometimes I couldn't find a partner so I had to sit out, but a lot of the time, I was either asking people to dance or people were asking me. (I'm a bit too shy to just ask a totally random person to dance, especially since I'm in the same boat as you concerning dancing skills, but I met a few really cool people and would dance with them if I had no one else, which is a fun way to do it.) I stayed the entire dance, and had insane amounts of fun. :D

Honestly, I think that it doesn't matter if you are alone or can't dance well. Why? Because there are always gonna be SEVERAL people like that there. Most of those people from last year were the   ones in the dance lines. And even though I didn't want to dance many guys came up to me anyway and I danced with a few (who by the way, weren't that great at dancing). But yeah, the dance was a lot of fun :D so I agree with Nina Star9 :D

KyraEnsui

Ah man. It was a blast! I had fun and I was dressing up as Rinoa. It was an awesome idea. It was way crowded so I had to leave since I can't breathe. *nods* I'm happy it's back~!

Oathkeeper

I second the multiple lessons!
I was not able to go last year because I couldn't go to the lessons!
I would LOVE to go this year, and I don't know how to dance!
I say...more lesson times! ^_^
fanime 2009
Kaname Kuran
...teh smexiest you'll ever see. ;)

heeroyuy135

I went to both the lessons and the actual ball itself in 2007. I know it was the first year for the ball, so I know it will be improved for 2008. I plan to be ther again, and I hope to see you all there!

Cosplay Cyborg

You know? I've never tried something like this before. I've got a cosplay that MIGHT work, so I may consider going to this. But yeah. "What if nobody wants to dance with me....?" That's a big question, I think. I hope no one minds dancing with a semi-clumsy Lolita cat-girl (me). ^_~

Krnchichiri

Quote from: Cosplay Cyborg on January 18, 2008, 10:27:11 AM
You know? I've never tried something like this before. I've got a cosplay that MIGHT work, so I may consider going to this. But yeah. "What if nobody wants to dance with me....?" That's a big question, I think. I hope no one minds dancing with a semi-clumsy Lolita cat-girl (me). ^_~
If you stick around long enough (which might not even be very long!), someone is bound to ask you to dance. :3 There are lots of people who go around asking as many people as they can to dance. ^^ Or you can always ask other people regardless of their gender.
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Devi 1313

I was pretty much alone the whole time since my date skipped out (to be in the Bishie events) but whenever I sat down someone asked me to dance right away (must've been the vinyl ballgown and crazy pink wig). I danced terribly too, but some people were nice enough to teach me steps since I skipped out on the lessons last year. I can't wait to do the lessons this year since my feet hurt too much last time.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

dibbly

serious the boots i wore to the the ball and the lessons we're to big for me, this year i have shoes i can do anything in and look good=)
....just, no back flips=(
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

havok rt

well I'm all for multiple dance lesson, but what about us guys going stag? (I don't wanta go alone :-[)
Also song request wise Some Moonlight Sonata would be nice or perhaps maybe some lilium from Elfen Lied ;)
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

boots01

please email any song requests to [email protected] with mp3's attached.  that way, if i don't already have them, they still have a chance of being played.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Eri Kagami

Really looking forward to this event again. Though I'll have to skip out on masquerade this year, I still continue to support ballroom dances at anime conventions. ^^

I'll see what mp3s I can send over to ya.

boots01

you wont have to miss the masquerade to go to the ball.  they're on different days.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Lolita_Technica

Sorry to bring up an old topic from the dead,
But is there a list of music that was played at the ball that is available?