Badge Pick up

Started by EHS, October 27, 2007, 08:41:56 PM

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Chewie on December 31, 2007, 12:56:30 PM
Quote from: GokuMew2 on December 31, 2007, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: Chewie on December 30, 2007, 06:15:44 PM
Then maybe some sort of security question/answer/verification needs to be added to the registration process from the moment someone chooses to register online. Something that can be asked at badge pick up besides "ID and print out, please". Would it take longer? Not really. A verbal security question for those without state issue IDs would be easily handled.
I like that! Though of course, if someone chooses an obvious answer to an obvious question as their security question, well, :-\

Agreed, but in reality it's just like choosing a password. You're personally responsible for how "stupid" your answers are. Lol

True, but I think this would just cause more problems. Each badge would have to be accompanied by that question and the reg workers would have to make sure that all the questions were printed out correctly and that everyone could remember their answer. Also, at least for this con, the only information that can be changed without going directly to the reg people is your fan name. The reg people have enough to handle without having to ask for a security question/answer.

Honestly I don't see why it's such a big deal to get an ID. It's 5 months before the con and only costs $25. That's plenty of time to get to the DMV and work the $25 into your budget.

FanFicGuru

Are we talking about people as young as 13 as well? I was going to make a separate thread ( I may still, since my situation may apply to lots of people given there's no group registration this year), but it seems odd to make a 13 year old get a state ID...unless I can act as her guardian since I'm her older brother and I"m 22...which leads to my thread questions. Bah I'm going to make that thread now.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

GokuMew2

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 09, 2008, 05:16:00 PM
but it seems odd to make a 13 year old get a state ID...
That's exactly my point. People that young who may want come to the con alone wouldn't need a government ID at their age, which is why I'm wondering if Fanime would take a school ID for them instead.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Erin

Most people under 13 would have a guardian with them anyway - if I were a parent of a 13-year-old there'd be no way I'd let them go to a convention without some kind of supervision.

And it's not like you're limited to IDs.  Anyone can get a passport as well - I had one when I was 10 years old.
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

FanFicGuru

Quote from: vhg on January 09, 2008, 06:59:16 PM
Most people under 13 would have a guardian with them anyway - if I were a parent of a 13-year-old there'd be no way I'd let them go to a convention without some kind of supervision.

And it's not like you're limited to IDs.  Anyone can get a passport as well - I had one when I was 10 years old.

Well I am the "supervision" for the 13 year old. So will my ID work for her then? She's my younger sister...
Swap meet staff - 2014

XpHoBiaX

I had an id before I had my license. Guess what, you won't have to pay for a DL after you pass your drivers test. All the info on your ID is updated/changed over to your DL. I didn't need to pay for a new card. Get the ID. It's a good investment.

As far as I know, you have to be an adult to be a guardian for some places.(I don't know about the convention) Meaning 18 yrs. And you HAVE to have vaild ID for proof.

Passports, for those who are a new applicants need to apply in person and you have to pay 97 bucks. Unless you plan to take a trip to another country after the con several times out of the year, your are wasting money. Get the ID/DL.
At least that is what I was told/read in the application.

Erin

Regardless of whether you leave the country or not a passport or state-issued ID is something everyone should have, and at the very least everyone can get an ID card.

Quote from: California DMV
Identification (ID) cards

DMV issues ID cards to persons of any age. The ID card looks like a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only. A regular ID card is valid for six years, and a senior citizen ID card is valid for 10 years. To qualify for a senior citizen ID card, you must be age 62 or older.

Seriously, no one really has excuses unless they're under 12 years old (at that point there should be a parent or legal guardian to vouch for them). And yes, it does make it easier to get your license when you're of age anyway, so you might as well get one.  It's not like it really takes that long, and it's only ~$25.

As for the adult/guardian thing, that's a little gray because it could be anywhere from 18 to 25.  I could always check, but most of the time it's better to have a parent vouching for a child, or just get the child an ID card too.  Like the previous poster said, it's a good investment.
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

Chewie

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 09, 2008, 05:16:00 PM
but it seems odd to make a 13 year old get a state ID

I agree. There are a lot of personal opinions being tossed about and nothing about the reality of the situation being looked at.

To vhg (fanimecon staff),

1: You're not the presidential ball or trying to get on a plane. It's a convention. Period.

2: Unless you (fanimecon) had a seriously staggering amount of badge thefts over the years, you are taking completely unnecessary steps to prevent such things from occurring. Theft happens, and while it's stupid, it's horrible, shameful, etc, it's something we all have to deal with in one way or another. HOWEVER, forcing a bunch of CHILDREN to get state issued IDs is ludicrous and is not the solution.

3: "I had this at this age" or "I think this should be like this because I had it this way" are nothing more than your biased opinions on the matter and can't be used as a true basis for the rule being in place. Whether YOU personally think someone should have it is irrelevant.

The fact of the matter remains: 98% of people don't get IDs until they are old enough to drive or turn 18. Why? NOTHING requires them until that point.

You are requiring one rule instead of another and finding no middle ground.

Why not instead change the age requirement? 16 and older require ID or you're not allowed in without a parent/guardian's signature. Anyone else (as it should be because a bunch of kids running around unsupervised is pretty irresponsible anyway) has to have a parent AT LEAST sign something stating they agree to the release of liability on your behalf or acknowledgment of theirs and saying their kids are who they are supposed to be. Either way you have an adult agreeing to and legally binding themselves to an action. If badge 7425 is given to Timmy Faker and his mommy signs it saying he really is Timmy and you have HER ID# and Timmy Realkid and his mommy come up saying they are who they are and have all the info, you now have someone liable and possibly even prosecutable for the problem.

To phoenixphire,

Only the badges for those under a certain age would have to be flagged for asking, and all the info entered on the website would be printed out. It's not a perfect system and was only a thought but it's a far cry from what is going on as it is.

They're going to do what they're going to do and I can't do much to change that. I was trying to open the ways abit more for people to find a middle ground and maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. Ultimately it's moot for me as I am old and have the required forms of ID. But I think it's more than unfair to  quite a few people who want to experience Fanime that they have to do something most people just shouldn't have to.

GokuMew2

Just an idea... But what about confirmation numbers? I know we have badge numbers, but what if confirmation emails came with a randomly generated confirmation number that could be used sort of like a password for people to validate their identity (as a supplement to a government or school ID)? It'd be just as effective as a secret question thing and Fanime would be able to tell people what the answer is, instead of the other way around, which could be more work. It's just that reg staffers would have to take the time to match up the confirmation number the person brings with what's in the database, but I don't think it'd take too long.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

XpHoBiaX

I thought Fanime already did that with the confirmation numbers...? They always asked if I had recieved an email with a comfirmation number. Though, I always said no becuase I never did recieve an email. (come to find out, those were only sent to people who registered that year...not the previous year. )

Quote3: "I had this at this age" or "I think this should be like this because I had it this way" are nothing more than your biased opinions on the matter and can't be used as a true basis for the rule being in place. Whether YOU personally think someone should have it is irrelevant.

But nonetheless its pretty damn good advice from those who've been there and done that. Especially if they're quite a bit older than 18. The Ca, legal adult age. Sorry if I sound pretty much like a concerned parent...But I am at that age where I just might become one. You have to think that way sometimes.

I see the point of your arguments, and yes forcing 13 year olds to get state IDs does sound a bit ludacris. But so does leaving your kid un attended without proper identification at rather large event. What would happen if that person got lost? How would they identify themselves? People do get lost, or get seperated. What would happen if that person got injured? At least if they had an id, something state issued or something that can be entered into a computer, that person can be found. Parents/legal guardians can be notified.

I hope you can see were I am making a point. Whether you care, know or don't know, this is what goes on in a parents' mind and this is what organizations think about. YOUR safety, as well as having a good time. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say. Just.. think smart.

Chewie

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on January 10, 2008, 04:05:00 PM
I thought Fanime already did that with the confirmation numbers...? They always asked if I had recieved an email with a comfirmation number. Though, I always said no becuase I never did recieve an email. (come to find out, those were only sent to people who registered that year...not the previous year. )

Quote3: "I had this at this age" or "I think this should be like this because I had it this way" are nothing more than your biased opinions on the matter and can't be used as a true basis for the rule being in place. Whether YOU personally think someone should have it is irrelevant.

But nonetheless its pretty damn good advice from those who've been there and done that. Especially if they're quite a bit older than 18. The Ca, legal adult age. Sorry if I sound pretty much like a concerned parent...But I am at that age where I just might become one. You have to think that way sometimes.

I see the point of your arguments, and yes forcing 13 year olds to get state IDs does sound a bit ludacris. But so does leaving your kid un attended without proper identification at rather large event. What would happen if that person got lost? How would they identify themselves? People do get lost, or get seperated. What would happen if that person got injured? At least if they had an id, something state issued or something that can be entered into a computer, that person can be found. Parents/legal guardians can be notified.

I hope you can see were I am making a point. Whether you care, know or don't know, this is what goes on in a parents' mind and this is what organizations think about. YOUR safety, as well as having a good time. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say. Just.. think smart.

I do understand and left an answer for this in the post above this one. =)

Sen

The primary reasoning behind our policy is our liability concerning minors at the convention without supervision. If any major incident occurs it may adversely affect our relationship with the convention center and also expose FanimeCon to legal recourse. Thus, our policy must stand and we can only ask for your cooperation. We realize that it is difficult for some attendees to obtain government IDs. As a convention for fans and by fans, we try and put the wants and needs of our attendees at the highest priority. Unfortunately, we cannot fully satisfy each and every single one of your needs. However, we are taking in to consideration all of your suggestions.

This thread will be locked due to the personal information that has been posted. It will be re-opened after that information has been removed.

Edit: Thread re-opened.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

FanFicGuru

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on January 10, 2008, 04:05:00 PM

I understand that there are legal liabilities. However, attendance will drop if parents of minors dread the coming of May because they have to go wait in a 3-4 hour long registration line. By doing group registration and having one person in the place of 10 people, it's no wonder that the line would go down significantly. Would you rather be standing behind 10 people picking up 10 badges each? Or 100 people?

It's a tricky tango, trying to please everyone while covering yourself legally. I just pray that they can work something out because otherwise, my mom isn't going to want to go downtown and wait in line at the convention center for god knows how long to get badges just to go home again afterwards. Not her idea of fun. That's why she had me, she says...to take care of all the stuff she doesn't want to do lol. I believe that many other parents will feel the same way.

Especially if they had to wait in the Saturday line last year. *cry*
Swap meet staff - 2014

Chewie

Quote from: Sen on January 10, 2008, 08:38:27 PM
The primary reasoning behind our policy is our liability concerning minors at the convention without supervision. If any major incident occurs it may adversely affect our relationship with the convention center and also expose FanimeCon to legal recourse. Thus, our policy must stand and we can only ask for your cooperation. We realize that it is difficult for some attendees to obtain government IDs. As a convention for fans and by fans, we try and put the wants and needs of our attendees at the highest priority. Unfortunately, we cannot fully satisfy each and every single one of your needs. However, we are taking in to consideration all of your suggestions.

Well, if your liability is the issue (and from what I've seen it hasn't been the issue until you posted about it), even if the minor has state issued ID, you're in trouble if something happens. Period. You need an adult to sign for them accepting responsibility and releasing you (fanimecon) or you're at fault no matter what. You allow children in and you are responsible for anything they do. Whether it be theft, vandalism, injury. Big or small.

Forcing them to get state ID cards will not release you from anything at all. You'll just know whose parents are going to sue you.

This entire post sounds very harsh and like I am attacking you and I do apologize for that but I am simply pointing out fact. Government issue IDs will negate none of the above problems if a minor is involved. I don't think you should be using that as your reason for not allowing other forms or it's opening up a whole new can of worms.

As it stands we have this: Many people who can get in with no problems. A few people who can't. And some who will need the state issued IDs no matter what. Why not try to figure out who is who now before it's crunch time and people are getting screwed over? Whether it be one of the systems I suggested, something someone else thinks up or something someone saw in a movie somewhere, NOW is the time is should be handled. Exceptions can be made. Rules will have to be enforced. It's the nature of handling something this big. I for one hope everyone finds a way to be satisfied without totally being forced to do something they don't want/need to do.

ewu

The great thing about state issued IDs is that there is a consistent and reliable way to confirm your age and identity. Without this accurate information in the first place we would be legally remiss such that we cannot identify the involved parties to pertinent parties and/or law enforcement, if required.

IDs for minors are a fickle problem and we are attempting to internally identify a feasible solution that will be a compromise between the amount of exposure we are willing to have and the convenience of our members. Unfortunately this is a decision that is out of the hands of the members and even Registration. We understand your concerns and the repercussions of these policies and we will convey that in our discussions towards a resolution.

In the end, we may need to brave a little inconvenience for the benefit of the con. Lest something unfortunate happens AND the legal protection absent, the legal recourse (and conceivable fallout) could possibly be fatal to the con.

Please be understanding of our position and also understand that we are actively internally discussing these issues also. We welcome suggestions, but arguing about our established policies will only serve to incense emotions.

Thanks
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

koella

Sorry my question is not really related to ID policies, but I wanted to know when are badges ready for pick up?  Will they be ready at least a week before con weekend?

AbsolutelyCursed

Badges are ready for pickup a day before Fanime begins; which would be a Thursday.

khtosanimelover

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 14, 2008, 10:41:04 PM
Badges are ready for pickup a day before Fanime begins; which would be a Thursday.
I'm also sorry for being off topic. XP

So for badge pickup, I believe seeing somewhere that it starts at 6 and ends at 10? This would be during the day, and not the morning, right? XDD;

I'm really sorry, I'm totally new to Fanime and I can't find the info anywhere else. XPP;

I appreciate the help! :D

Krnchichiri

Quote from: khtosanimelover on January 15, 2008, 06:05:15 PM
Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on January 14, 2008, 10:41:04 PM
I'm also sorry for being off topic. XP

So for badge pickup, I believe seeing somewhere that it starts at 6 and ends at 10? This would be during the day, and not the morning, right? XDD;

I'm really sorry, I'm totally new to Fanime and I can't find the info anywhere else. XPP;

I appreciate the help! :D
It would be in at night, not in the morning. @.@
I think Antonio registration people working on that day would shoot themselves because of waking up early.

Also, badge pick-up is open during registration hours when Fanime is open... so you don't HAVE to pick it up on Thursday. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D