Badge Pick up

Started by EHS, October 27, 2007, 08:41:56 PM

ewu

A state issued photo ID is an ID that is issued by a state but not an entity of the state.

Qualifying IDs include a drivers license, a state identification (issued by the CA DMV under much the same process of a drivers license, without the privilege of driving), passports, and other IDs issued by a government.

Forms of identification we do not accept are social security cards (no photo or identifying information), birth certificates (no photo), school ID (despite being from a public school, it still is not government issue, there is no identifying information on the ID, and no format that is consistent state-wide), library card (....not a friggen ID), and many other possibilities (credit card, insurance card, barnes and noble card, blood donor card, CA$H).

If you are in doubt, please e-mail registrationATfanimeDOTcom and ask.

a good guide: (assuming that you were hypothetically of age) If you can use it to purchase age controlled items or to get into a bar or club, then you can use it at Fanime (though California bars are now being encouraged not to accept passports because of their inconsistency across states)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Narutotaku

Konychiwa ewu,

I have an avatar for my badge. How do I ask Registration Staff to add my avatar before they start printing Official FanimeCon 2008 badges ???
"Time flys when your having fun"(unknown)
"Time blasts off like a NASA space shuttle when you cosplay at FanimeCon"(Narutotaku)
<"http://member.square-enix.com/na/"><"http://member.square-enix.com/na/data/signature/16916.gif">

Moonblossom

Quote from: ewu on February 17, 2008, 01:53:56 AM(though California bars are now being encouraged not to accept passports because of their inconsistency across states)

NOOOOOOOO

Every time I've been to Cali, the only type of ID they ever accepted of mine was my passport, since everything else is crazy French canadian stuff. T_T

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Moonblossom on February 18, 2008, 10:04:58 AM
Quote from: ewu on February 17, 2008, 01:53:56 AM(though California bars are now being encouraged not to accept passports because of their inconsistency across states)

NOOOOOOOO

Every time I've been to Cali, the only type of ID they ever accepted of mine was my passport, since everything else is crazy French canadian stuff. T_T

It might not count for out of country visitors. I have a feeling this is more for USA residents that are trying to use their passport instead of somerhing thing like a drivers licence.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Narutotaku on February 18, 2008, 12:24:51 AM
Konychiwa ewu,

I have an avatar for my badge. How do I ask Registration Staff to add my avatar before they start printing Official FanimeCon 2008 badges ???

Can we have avatars on our badges? I've never seen one, at least I don't think I have. All my old Fanime badges just have my name, number, fan name and then whatever the art is for the year.

Moonblossom

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on February 18, 2008, 10:37:27 AM
Quote from: Moonblossom on February 18, 2008, 10:04:58 AM

NOOOOOOOO

It might not count for out of country visitors. I have a feeling this is more for USA residents that are trying to use their passport instead of somerhing thing like a drivers licence.
Aah, ok. Thanks. I hope so!

Chihiro

Quote from: ewu on February 17, 2008, 01:53:56 AM
Qualifying IDs include a drivers license, a state identification (issued by the CA DMV under much the same process of a drivers license, without the privilege of driving), passports, and other IDs issued by a government.

I don't have a drivers license (Too young), so I'll try to bring a passport. The picture taken for the passport hasn't been updated, but I guess you can still tell it's me. Will that be alright?

Edit: I heard it's also possible to get your badge by presenting a voucher? Proof that you paid for the badge and stuff. I got two emails, one when I registered for Fanime, and one after I paid for my full-weekend badge. Do I print out both, or do I HAVE to get a state issued ID?
on my way to steal yo gurls
Fanimaid Cafe Department Second Head

Sen

Quote from: sakuranoyuki on February 18, 2008, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: ewu on February 17, 2008, 01:53:56 AM

I don't have a drivers license (Too young), so I'll try to bring a passport. The picture taken for the passport hasn't been updated, but I guess you can still tell it's me. Will that be alright?

Edit: I heard it's also possible to get your badge by presenting a voucher? Proof that you paid for the badge and stuff. I got two emails, one when I registered for Fanime, and one after I paid for my full-weekend badge. Do I print out both, or do I HAVE to get a state issued ID?

Your passport (as long as it is valid) will be fine. There is a separate confirmation receipt that will be available through your account closer to con time. You will need to bring the confirmation receipt in addition to your qualified ID. So that's two items, a print out and your qualified ID.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Krnchichiri

xD Darn you, Sen, you beat me to it!
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Chewie

Are any of the changes you've "been discussing" going to be going into effect or have you just moved onto "state ids, deal with it."?

Curious is all. We had a pretty good and idea filled debate going when some of the staff told us to all but can it and that it was being looked into. What was the result of the "looking into"?

Also, if someone has a passport and can't bring it, a photocopy should be accepted. There are a plethora of reason why a young person (or even children) shouldn't be carrying around a passport. Unless your staff is blind you can spot a fake photocopy from a mile away.

Again, a simple yet effective compromise and it seems like it wasn't even considered.

Edit - Also curious about Photo Bank ATM cards. Are they acceptable?

Moonblossom

I used to forge IDs in high school, and I will vouch that photocopies can be well-forged incredibly easily (well-forged being the operative word here), and have no security measures like watermarks, holograms, or anything imbedded in linen paper. I've never seen an official establishment accept photocopies or faxes or anything of that nature as proper ID. Even for things as basic as getting into clubs, they'll still ask for something more legitimate.

Krnchichiri

:0 Tsk tsk, Moonie!

But in any case, Chewie: Photo Bank ATM cards aren't government issued. ^^; And if someone like a child was to bring a passport, their guardian should be in possession of it after receiving the badge... or if the child is under 10, there would be no need to bring ID because they would get a free badge anyways. o.0 Still, Fanime is a ways away and it'd just be easier to get a state issued ID to avoid hassle. ^^;
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Moonblossom

I needed cash, and I was good with photoshop, back when photoshop was expensive and hard to find ><;; Also, I had access to a laminating machine. It just made sense. Well, that, and I'm a naughty monkey.

Sen

Quote from: Krnchichiri on February 18, 2008, 09:45:03 PM
xD Darn you, Sen, you beat me to it!

Sorry!! I'll uhh...slow down?

Quote from: phoenixphire24
Can we have avatars on our badges? I've never seen one, at least I don't think I have. All my old Fanime badges just have my name, number, fan name and then whatever the art is for the year.

Member badges will get a random image from a set of images that our artists make. Only staff badges can be personalized.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

ewu

Quote from: Chewie on February 19, 2008, 08:39:21 AM
Are any of the changes you've "been discussing" going to be going into
effect or have you just moved onto "state ids, deal with it."?

Curious is all. We had a pretty good and idea filled debate going when
some of the staff told us to all but can it and that it was being
looked into. What was the result of the "looking into"?

Also, if someone has a passport and can't bring it, a photocopy should
be accepted. There are a plethora of reason why a young person (or
even children) shouldn't be carrying around a passport. Unless your
staff is blind you can spot a fake photocopy from a mile away.

Again, a simple yet effective compromise and it seems like it wasn't
even considered.

Edit - Also curious about Photo Bank ATM cards. Are they acceptable?

The changes we are discussing we aim implement in the following years,
MAYBE as early as next year, but the massive machine known as
Registration has started rolling and will stay the course till we can
start fresh next year.

As for the state issues IDs, we will hold firmly on this issue. It is
clearly our responsibility to ensure your badge does not find its way
into another person's hands as well as ensure the safety of all those
that attend the convention. We must stay off all possibilites of
forged or incorrect information.

It is very true that California establishments serving alcohol are
being encouraged to NOT take passports because they are not consistent
from country to country and thus easy to forge.

Chewie: I encourage you to join reg staff so that you may understand
our process better and be more able to contribute solutions that we
may implement effectively.

Thank you Moonblossom for a brief but enlightening look into the field of.....photoshop

Thanks Krnchichiri for your contributions on passports and bank cards.

Again, from my above post: Qualifying IDs include a drivers license, a
state identification (issued by the CA DMV under much the same process
of a drivers license, without the privilege of driving), passports,
and other IDs issued by a government.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chewie

I see I've run into the same wall we did before.

"State ids, deal with it. Sorry for your inconvenience but hey, we gave you plenty of time to go drop more money."

As for the passport thing, what you are saying is the exact reason this thread was started. People not being able to get their guardians to go out of their way, ESPECIALLY not to just be there for passport retrieval. You guys are also going so far as to tell them their older siblings aren't good enough. "Thanks for driving 7 hours mom since being with my older sister isn't good enough! ^^"

I said young people. Teenagers. Not JUST children. Teenagers while some to even most of them are pretty smart and savvy kids, they have their flaws. A document like that being tossed around to get into not another country, not a government facility, not even a school but into a convention (and before you think this is a huge insult and take this straight to the ass, READ THE POINT) and you guys being so nonchalant about it is bordering on carelessness on your part.

As for bars not accepting passports, you're not a bar nor are you selling an age controlled substance. It's a completely moot example.

The photocopy thing is still a good idea, but it seems this setting is just the place for some kid to strut his prowess at making fake photocopy picture IDs. Huge market for those over in China and Africa I hear. Like an epidemic...

Lastly, for whatever reason they couldn't bring the ID, most banks require TWO forms of photo ID to join in the first place. At this point it's the same thing. Thus eliminating the need for someone who lost their ID who happened to still have their atm card. It's why banks use it in the first place. So photo IDs don't need to be busted out every time you make a purchase.

I think I am going to bow out of this thread and further discussions about the subject. Clearly the real issue at hand (are people going to get to experience Fanime without another FORCED fee for ID) is being ignored and has turned into "sorry, what we say goes as our beliefs - read: rules -  on whether or not you have a state ID at the age of 14 are and that yes you should and why not?".

See you all in May regardless. =\

ewu

Thanks for your concerns. Unfortunately, we have not been able to develop a compromise to the suggestions you have made.

As each and every staff member were once fans, we strive to make the fan's experience as great as possible. so please let us know the issue that you have and we will work together to make something work.

Our policies are set that way for numerous reasons and if you have a particular concern, we can find ways that will work for you yet still not disregard the reasons why we have our established policies.

In the end we need to make sure someone else does not get your badge that you paid for and that you are indeed who you are. The only way we can do that is with consistent form of identification that any staffer can recognize and also be able to identify as fake.

please let us know: registrationATfanimeDOTcom
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chihiro

Thanks for your time. Sorry if it was an inconvenience to you D: But I'm glad the badge pick up thing is cleared up.. I'll try to bring my passport.
on my way to steal yo gurls
Fanimaid Cafe Department Second Head

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Sen on February 19, 2008, 01:53:53 PM

Quote from: phoenixphire24

Member badges will get a random image from a set of images that our artists make. Only staff badges can be personalized.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if the original questioner was staff or just a regular con-goer.

Narutotaku

Konychiwa Otaku elite and all sub-species of anime/manga fan(Genshiken),

What are the hours for badge pick-up? Does the badge pick-up booth close in the evening  ???
"Time flys when your having fun"(unknown)
"Time blasts off like a NASA space shuttle when you cosplay at FanimeCon"(Narutotaku)
<"http://member.square-enix.com/na/"><"http://member.square-enix.com/na/data/signature/16916.gif">