How Has Becoming an Otaku Affected Your Life?

Started by AriSky, November 04, 2007, 03:43:11 PM

AriSky

For the semester end of my psychology cla ss we have to design and carry out our own research project. We could choose ANY topic, so long as it interested us. I chose mine to study the link between otaku and confidence, but I won't say anything more than that. If you're any sort of anime fan, I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to fill out my survey--don't worry, it's not a test of knowledge or anything that involves you knowing certain things about certain series. It's just a reflection of how becoming an otaku has changed you. The more people I get, the better the results, and then I can tell y'all the conclusions.

Click here, you know you want to.

If you take it, thank you so much! If you don't and you have a reason such as you aren't a fan of anime, that's okay! If you don't and you are an anime fan... you shame the fandom! JK. Really, though, thanks to any and all that participate. Please spread the link to any anime fans you know.
Fanime con-goer since 2005.
Resident Shizuru (YYH) and Kaitou (HxH).
Fanime 2011's blue Dalek.

AnimeEmperor

AriSky

mDuo13

I responded.

To summarize my thoughts: becoming an otaku didn't really affect my life much. I was bound to be a geek/nerd/whatever regardless, so it's just a matter of how I spend my time by myself.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: mDuo13 on November 08, 2007, 01:23:37 PM
I responded.

To summarize my thoughts: becoming an otaku didn't really affect my life much. I was bound to be a geek/nerd/whatever regardless, so it's just a matter of how I spend my time by myself.

I agree to that.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

BrightHeart76

I was born a nerd.  I have lived my life a nerd.  And God willing I will die a nerd.  Took me damn near 30 years to understand and appreciate that...but now that I have...I'm PROUD to be a nerd AND an anime fan.  It was a cool survey too...hope you get the info you need.   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

neko ewen

Yeah. I too was a nerd from early on, and discovering anime was more a matter of adding something new to my repertoire of nerdiness. My parents were trekkies and I grew up in a house that literally had thousands of books, including plenty of science fiction. Getting into anime was a natural step. It's also what got me to start learning Japanese, which has in turn led me to pursue becoming a translator as a career.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

AriSky

Thank you all who took the time to fill out the survey.  I'll post results when I've completely the report.

OniCourseMusha

I did watch anime when I was little but thats different cuz I was raised in a Japanese family.  I watched Doraemon and Crayon Shinchan when I was young but I really never share those series wit other people cuz of the cultural differences and I was afraid. I was helluv into gaming when I was little but I never got into the community until my High School Junior and Senior year when I got into the DDR community. After I got off of college thats when i was introduced to anime cons where I hear about fansubs and cosplayers that I started to watch and finish up series to blend in like crazy, like Trigun, Helsing, Cowboy Bebop, Nadesico, and Rurounin Kenshin (took me 4days to finish!!).  I would never expected that I get to be so much closer wit the community and my group of friends than before.
When I became an Otaku I began sharing some old anime that I remembered watching when i was young and share some Japanese differences since I'm was raised and been to japan wit most anime community.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

AriSky

Alrighty! I fail at life!

This post is directed towards anyone who took my online survey about a month ago (or anyone interested in taking a survey about how anime has affected their life). The site did something strange to my account and I can no longer access the results. I've reconstructed the survey in what I believe is a bit more taker-friendly way on a more reliable site and would really appreciate it if y'all could take five/ten minutes to fill it out again. I promise this won't happen again.

Take #2

Thank you so much, y'all.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

bunnycorpse

my nicknames began to consist of Japanese words and i no longer ate sandwhiches for lunch; i ate ramen.

Nyxyin

Quote from: AriSky on November 04, 2007, 03:43:11 PM
For the semester end of my psychology class we have to design and carry out our own research project.
Has your semester ended by now...?  How did the research go?  Will you post the results here?  I'm very curious what the survey found.

Otaku_Princess

KawaiiAngel

Quote from: Nyxyin on December 20, 2007, 01:23:46 AM
Quote from: AriSky on November 04, 2007, 03:43:11 PM
For the semester end of my psychology class we have to design and carry out our own research project.
Has your semester ended by now...?  How did the research go?  Will you post the results here?  I'm very curious what the survey found.

yes yes! where are the results? didn't it say that they would be emailed?

oh and, nothing's changed with me reguarding otaku status, I'm an average teenage girl with lots of friends and i go do average teen girl stuff...but i just happen to like anime!

Jehuty

Simple...

+ More friends and allies
- MUCH less money...
PRO-DUB
ENGLISH, Mother%@#!-er, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

quantbits

well I was bullied and move around a lot.

So Evangelion helped me get a grip on the world, while Love Hina kept my love life on Cloud 9.

But that was high school, I just watch anime for fun nowdays. =)
The real world doesn't wait for you to grow up... I grew up to catch up with everyone else you could say.

AriSky

Ack, sorry, y'all.  My teacher got ill, and pushed back the due date, so I've been procrastinating.  Our finals for the semester are tomorrow, so I'll be posting/sending out the results shortly after that.  I apologize for the wait.

Just because I've been worked up over them all morning... The results are exactly what I wanted to see.  ^_~

Nyxyin

Quote from: AriSky on January 21, 2008, 04:40:16 PMThe results are exactly what I wanted to see.  ^_~
*fidget, fidget*  I'm trying to be patient, but I can't stand the suspense!!  What's the sample size?  How many people turned into social butterflies because of otakudom?  How many people holed up in their rooms and downloaded anime until they had no friends left?  What were the results for the control group?

I love reports about psychological research, and I love anime, and this one brings the two together!  Can't wait!!  *bounce, bounce!*

Baker!-!

well some people hate me now but some like me so i think it heled me really and i love it nyoro
WAHHHHHHHHH where is patty and hiyori when you need them the most

cosplays for 09
main:Eevee ginjika ?%
Sides:Mitsuru 15% lol i have the hair naturally

JohnnyAR

Is it to late? Because I just filled out my survey.