Team Fortress 2 gathering ?

Started by clawmaster, November 06, 2007, 11:24:50 AM

clawmaster

hi everyone I came over from the gaming thread and there are some of us going to be cosplaying from the guys from the lastest game Team Fortess 2. If you are a person who don't know what Team fortress 2 is (noob) then heres a link explaining it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2

Also heres some examples of people already dressing up as the guys of Team Fortess 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/124472.html?playlist=featured

I not sure which one i be cosplaying as but I will be one of the guys. anyone who wish to join us your are welcome too. This is not a for sure thing since the game jst came out and not alot of people know about it but hopefully this can really be a gathering. It will be awsome ^^

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

gmontem

I'm thinking of doing the Spy.

The Spy smokes sooo... does anyone know where I can get fake cigarettes?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

bahkibulle

Quote from: gmontem on November 06, 2007, 12:12:16 PM
I'm thinking of doing the Spy.

The Spy smokes sooo... does anyone know where I can get fake cigarettes?

You can get the cigarette(with fake glow) from joke shops or just from costume shops in general. Or Halloween shops. eh.... (if they're still open)

I think there should be a tf2 gathering! With ALL classes! Do you have any information on when and where the gathering would be?

(I'm so glad that tf2 has cool costumes!)

Cosplay.com has pics of people who already got started (some finished!) on their costumes. Go check it out! (The costumes there are just FIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNE.)
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=128928

clawmaster

not sure about date and time. its still very early to call any shots so untill then try to get enough people to come and spread the word ^^

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Juego

Hey, I'm Juego from cosplay.com. I may be visiting a friend in Cali during Memorial Day weekend; if that is the case, count on seeing a RED medic. :D

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 07, 2007, 05:42:54 PM
Hey, I'm Juego from cosplay.com. I may be visiting a friend in Cali during Memorial Day weekend; if that is the case, count on seeing a RED medic. :D

One medic checked for and accounted.

You really look like a younger version of the medic. Are you able to mimic the German accent?
Watch me take a billion pictures of you.

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 07, 2007, 07:41:34 PM
One medic checked for and accounted.

If we want to make this truly game-authentic, everyone else needs to be spies and engies. (I kid, I kid.)

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 07, 2007, 07:41:34 PMYou really look like a younger version of the medic. Are you able to mimic the German accent?
Watch me take a billion pictures of you.

Lol. Did I inherit the dominant Cuban genes from my parents? No, I got the "who knows, possibly slavic or tuetonic" recessive stuff.

I can do some of his sound clips, but anything original eventually morphs into a Spanish or southern accent, completely betraying my actual heritage.  ;D

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 07, 2007, 08:20:50 PM

If we want to make this truly game-authentic, everyone else needs to be spies and engies. (I kid, I kid.)

I guess that is true; lots of people like playing those two classes... Medics are also on demand. (I once visited a server where the blue team had three medics and one pyro.

Quote from: Juego on November 07, 2007, 08:20:50 PM

Lol. Did I inherit the dominant Cuban genes from my parents? No, I got the "who knows, possibly slavic or tuetonic" recessive stuff.

I can do some of his sound clips, but anything original eventually morphs into a Spanish or southern accent, completely betraying my actual heritage.  ;D

You better be careful there. If you strut around showing off your costume and gear, there might be men (and possibly women, if they play) chasing after you in hopes for a hug. Too bad the medigun can't infect in real life, so you can ward the horde away from you.

Sometimes, they might tackle you from behind, so you better get your gear secure (or be wary of your surroundings). If you're not careful (listen for squeals and stampeding feet), they might jostle you so much, your medipack/gun might fall apart!

Have you been to a convention before?

Quote from: Juego on November 07, 2007, 05:42:54 PM

I visited your profile on cosplay.com. Florida's a LONG way off! (if you still live there) Can't wait to see you at Fanime!

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 07, 2007, 08:56:25 PM
You better be careful there. If you strut around showing off your costume and gear, there might be men (and possibly women, if they play) chasing after you in hopes for a hug. Too bad the medigun can't infect in real life, so you can ward the horde away from you.

I work in opera/theater a lot. We're huggy people.  ;D

FL is a ways off, but some friends in San Fran have been not-too-subtle with hints that I should visit, so I figure Fanime will be a good chance to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I did a lot of Trek cons when I was a kid, but nothing in a long while. MegaCon 2008 will be my first cosplay con (we're trying to setup a generic Red vs Blue photo shoot there). But really, it can't be any stranger than getting glomped by glitter-people on opening night for Orpheus in the Underworld one year... (the cast also gave candy to us pit musicians; it was like reverse-Halloween.)

Anywho, I may also bring my BLU spy that I've just started working on (Medic will still be my main). An entire cosplay because I find one prop - the paper masks - so absolutely hilarious.

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 08, 2007, 03:00:35 PM
I figure Fanime will be a good chance to kill 2 birds with one stone.

So does that mean you're going to buy a one day pass or the whole shebang? Saturday passes/one day passes are EXPENSIVE. Are you attending the con with someone?

Quote from: Juego on November 08, 2007, 03:00:35 PM
Anywho, I may also bring my BLU spy that I've just started working on (Medic will still be my main). An entire cosplay because I find one prop - the paper masks - so absolutely hilarious.
You're already on a role. Since the paper masks are easy to just print out, the only problem comes in the balaclava and maybe the suit (if you're picky about detail and specificity).

To bad you can't clone yourself. It would have been cool to have both the medic and the spy when taking pictures.... or I can just photoshop your double in by taking two pictures.

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 09, 2007, 12:34:52 PM
So does that mean you're going to buy a one day pass or the whole shebang? Saturday passes/one day passes are EXPENSIVE. Are you attending the con with someone?

Naw, I'll buy the whole kit-n-caboodle for at least myself. Less stress about keeping a schedule that way. Dunno if my Cali buddies will be joining me, but I'll probably give a shout out to look for folks to hang out with (and esp. frag in the game room) as the con date gets closer.

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 09, 2007, 12:34:52 PM
It would have been cool to have both the medic and the spy when taking pictures....

I don't think we'll be wanting for spies. Scouts have seemed to be really popular so far, too -- I'm surprised no one has called one, yet. It's still really early; who knows what other classes will show up, especially if Valve releases more of those awesome "Meet the..." videos. Plus, once you get started on one costume, you start seeing parts for the other classes all over the place.

BTW, to the other sneaky folks who may be looking for cheap suits: this one isn't as blue as the pic shows (it's a bluey-grey), but it's decent for the price, if cut a bit big (got the link from a halloween spy on another forum). I'd suggest thrift-store shopping, first, unless you are a lazy dink productive only at non-business hours, like me.

Oh, and I'll gamely heal any enemy spies for a silly photo op ala this. Or knife any enemy engies to recreate this.  ;D Or, you know, just exchange taunts. (TF2 taunt-off!)

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 09, 2007, 04:04:39 PM

Naw, I'll buy the whole kit-n-caboodle for at least myself. Less stress about keeping a schedule that way. Dunno if my Cali buddies will be joining me, but I'll probably give a shout out to look for folks to hang out with (and esp. frag in the game room) as the con date gets closer.
Sounds like you got a plan (sort of). Do you have a place to stay for the night? (I heard of congoers sleeping inside the convention center. Wouldn't recommend it though.)

I don't think we'll be wanting for spies. Scouts have seemed to be really popular so far, too -- I'm surprised no one has called one, yet. It's still really early; who knows what other classes will show up, especially if Valve releases more of those awesome "Meet the..." videos. Plus, once you get started on one costume, you start seeing parts for the other classes all over the place.
I know what you mean. It'd be nice to have spies and scouts all over the place. Their costume is semi-easy to put together is you know where to look. And I've been looking around thrift shops and hardware stores lately; I DO see parts for other classes all over the place.
(... I can't wait for "Meet the medic" movie. I like that class, and the fact that the heal-ray is sticky :)

Oh, and I'll gamely heal any enemy spies for a silly photo op ala this. Or knife any enemy engies to recreate this.  ;D Or, you know, just exchange taunts. (TF2 taunt-off!)
Hopefully, there'll be both classes so that you can do one or the other. You can recreate that comic strip with real  photos. Too bad we can't really spraypaint on the wall.

I myself might be going as a BLU pyro. I've got the gloves (I need to sandpaper/tape over the words) and the coveralls (I won't be pulling the pockets off :(). The only trouble comes in with finding appropriate cylindrical tanks for both the strap-on and the flamethrower (no, it really won't spout flames ). I don't feel like buying full propane tanks either, so I'll be searching for junkyards or something... (I've already went to the army surplus store: no such luck...)

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 11, 2007, 01:20:06 PM
Sounds like you got a plan (sort of). Do you have a place to stay for the night? (I heard of congoers sleeping inside the convention center. Wouldn't recommend it though.)

Oh, god, no. I've had to sleep in airports before when my flights have gotten delayed. {twitches} I'll book a hotel as close to the center as I can or see if people need a roomie.

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 11, 2007, 01:20:06 PM
I myself might be going as a BLU pyro. I've got the gloves (I need to sandpaper/tape over the words) and the coveralls (I won't be pulling the pockets off :(). The only trouble comes in with finding appropriate cylindrical tanks for both the strap-on and the flamethrower (no, it really won't spout flames ). I don't feel like buying full propane tanks either, so I'll be searching for junkyards or something... (I've already went to the army surplus store: no such luck...)

Doo eeet! My second favorite class, if going berserk with the bonesaw doesn't sate my bloodlust.  ;D Pyros are also my favorite healing buddies so far. I have no fear of spies when I'm with a pyro.

Yeah, those tanks could be a pain. Good thing you have some time to look around - it's hard to find something in plastic that looks close. (I'd check sciplus.com every so often - sometimes they get things like this.) You may want to check with some place that refills propane tanks - they may have some damaged/empty ones. The pyro's back tank could be some empty scuba gear or an empty fire extinguisher.

Magical Senpai

I'm thinking of going as either a RED or BLU Engineer. I need to figure out how to build a Level 1 Sentry out of common household materials. XD

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 12, 2007, 10:55:43 AM

Doo eeet! My second favorite class, if going berserk with the bonesaw doesn't sate my bloodlust.  ;D Pyros are also my favorite healing buddies so far. I have no fear of spies when I'm with a pyro.

Yeah, all ya gotta do is spray. If they start burning, you know what their true nature is (KILL IT!). I like the pyro mostly because of the clips where he shows up. Sounds sort of maniacal and demented (and I like the ax guitar taunt).

Quote from: Juego on November 12, 2007, 10:55:43 AM
Yeah, those tanks could be a pain. Good thing you have some time to look around - it's hard to find something in plastic that looks close. (I'd check sciplus.com every so often - sometimes they get things like this.) You may want to check with some place that refills propane tanks - they may have some damaged/empty ones. The pyro's back tank could be some empty scuba gear or an empty fire extinguisher.

Oh! I was thinking about going to propane refill facilities. Hopefully, I'll find one nearby. I'm also going to visit the recycling center soon. Hopefully they'll have one (two would be preferable). Or else, I'll have to buy one from SanFrancisco (found via craidslist), which is a bit far-ish.

I don't feel like making it out of paper or clay. (Holds up fist in false triumph) I'm going to get my hands on actual propane tanks! I don't want something that will fall apart and smush when I sit or put it on the ground! Hopefully, I'll have the resources. I have until May, so I'll probably get the costume done before then.

I'm a bit worried about the mask though. Should I add a zipper on the back of the mask, or should I make it out of elastic fabric (boo, I want to use dull vinyl/pleather/something rubbery looking)? Any suggestions? I want to be able to remove the mask with relative ease.

Hope your spy costume comes through ok. How are you going to make the paper masks? (How are you going to take high definition screenshots for the thing?)

Quote from: Richie Likes Maids on November 13, 2007, 09:05:59 PM
I'm thinking of going as either a RED or BLU Engineer. I need to figure out how to build a Level 1 Sentry out of common household materials. XD

Yes, and we now have an engineer! We should have a mock battle or something. The gun seems a bit simple to build. You can steal a parking meter and spraypaint it (for the top body)! Actually, don't do that.

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 14, 2007, 11:10:21 PM
I don't feel like making it out of paper or clay. (Holds up fist in false triumph) I'm going to get my hands on actual propane tanks! I don't want something that will fall apart and smush when I sit or put it on the ground! Hopefully, I'll have the resources. I have until May, so I'll probably get the costume done before then.

Awesome. It'll be a hit hefty, but that's the point, eh?

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 14, 2007, 11:10:21 PM
I'm a bit worried about the mask though. Should I add a zipper on the back of the mask, or should I make it out of elastic fabric (boo, I want to use dull vinyl/pleather/something rubbery looking)? Any suggestions? I want to be able to remove the mask with relative ease.

I don't blame you - the spy balaclava is annoying enough. Are you making the pyro mask from scratch or modifying an existing gas mask (Russian gas masks are close to the right shape, but they're usually light grey...)?

You shouldn't have any problems accessing a zipper, provided your hair doesn't get in the way. You could also do it in 2 pieces - a black, open-faced hood (think scuba), then the mask attached with a strap. It'll be a bit off model, but sometimes you have to compromise for comfort.

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 14, 2007, 11:10:21 PMHope your spy costume comes through ok. How are you going to make the paper masks? (How are you going to take high definition screenshots for the thing?)

Garry's mod, which lets you pose ragdolls, now has access to the TF2 models, so I'll probably grab some screenshots from there, or read up on how to rip textures from the actual in-game masks (I've seen folks ripping game assets for a few weeks now using 3D programs). I'll save whatever I grab somewhere in case other people want to use them.

I'm also trying to devise a way to make a little "booklet" of masks, so I can swap them out. But it's been on the back burner while I finish the syringe gun (I don't quite know why I'm making it, as I can't carry both it AND the medigun, lol).

Oh, man, that'd be truly epic to see! Even a level 1 would be the ultimate win for TF2 prop-making.  ;D The base seems to be the only real tricky bit... you could probably demolish an old office chair to accomplish that.

gmontem

Quote from: Juego on November 15, 2007, 07:17:19 AMGarry's mod, which lets you pose ragdolls, now has access to the TF2 models, so I'll probably grab some screenshots from there, or read up on how to rip textures from the actual in-game masks (I've seen folks ripping game assets for a few weeks now using 3D programs). I'll save whatever I grab somewhere in case other people want to use them.

Use a VTF editor/viewer to view/convert the textures.  The masks themselves are at most 256x256.
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

bahkibulle

Quote from: Juego on November 15, 2007, 07:17:19 AM

I don't blame you - the spy balaclava is annoying enough. Are you making the pyro mask from scratch or modifying an existing gas mask (Russian gas masks are close to the right shape, but they're usually light grey...)?

I'll be making the mask from scratch. I've always wanted to make a gas mask. It'll be a bit tough, trying to glue the metal parts (for the eyepieces) to the mask. There might be some extra stitchings here and there. I'm going to be frequenting some steampunk forums in order to get ideas as to how to attach the eye pieces to the cloth in particular. I'm looking at some expensive vinyl here :(.
I could modify existing gasmasks, but only as a last resort. I can change the color anyways via light coatings of spraypaint. Or maybe I can just color them with black magic marker (I'll most likely get sick from the toxic fumes).

You shouldn't have any problems accessing a zipper, provided your hair doesn't get in the way. You could also do it in 2 pieces - a black, open-faced hood (think scuba), then the mask attached with a strap. It'll be a bit off model, but sometimes you have to compromise for comfort.

Comfort and ease, I guess. Good idea though: a two piece mask! Thanks! I think I'll be able to pull that off. (Why didn't I think of that?) I'll try to make it look as close to the tf2 model as I can. Except I'll be adding some extra straps to the mask. Or maybe I can add snap buttons so that I don't have to add straps. Or that might look strange too... Looks like I'll have to experiment.

But it's been on the back burner while I finish the syringe gun (I don't quite know why I'm making it, as I can't carry both it AND the medigun, lol).

Well, you can modify the medic model so that he can have an extra strap to hold the medigun/syringe gun with. It can hang from your medipack (although it might look bulky and might rip through your straps). Bring both guns to the con anyways, so that I can bask in its glory.

If we do have an actual gathering (which MUST happen one way or another) it'd be cool to initiate taunt exchanges or something. I personally want to film the taunts specific to each class(available) so that I can put it up online or something.

I really, really hope all classes attend :(

Juego

Quote from: bahkibulle on November 16, 2007, 12:56:08 PM

Well, you can modify the medic model so that he can have an extra strap to hold the medigun/syringe gun with. It can hang from your medipack (although it might look bulky and might rip through your straps).

The damned thing is coming one way or another. ;)

Quote from: gmontem on November 15, 2007, 08:06:18 AM
Use a VTF editor/viewer to view/convert the textures.  The masks themselves are at most 256x256.

Thanks; I haven't futzed around with game textures in general since Oblivion came out.
Meh, 256. I might do a little work in Illustrator then; gotta learn some of the newer tools, anyway.

This is news to me, but if you go in Steam>Games, and right-click on TF2 to view the player manual, you get a nice little easter egg. Might be handy to have with that there sentry.

cazelfax

Ahoy necropost, but unless there's a Fanime not in May that I'm unawares of I'm asuming it's about 2008, "this year" in the vulgate of youth.

I'm planning on dressin' as a medic, though I make no promises on coat accuracy.  The pack's gonna be hard enough to make and I'm rubbish at sewing.  I'm also planning on making a giant bone saw in lieu of a medigun - that or a Faust ripoff and making a giant scalpel.  I've got to at least try to fit in with anime con ideals, and what fits more than a totally rondo oversized blade?  Spies beware DIE ÜBERSÄGEN (or something like that).

I am also trying to sucker my associates into joining me in this awful affair.