Warhammer 40K

Started by Nanashi, November 10, 2007, 01:40:32 PM

Nanashi

Does anyone out there play? If so, maybe we could get some kind of tournament going at Fanime (if it hasn't already been done).
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Heartbreak_despair

i'd be down to play (assuming i'm going this year) what army(armies) do you have?
stuck between tomarrow land, the old timey "one big wheel in the front bicycle", and the cellular phone...

Vividwings

I'd recall one being planned last year, but it didn't happen. I hope one does this year... I don't have an army (I'm more of a fluff junkie than a player) but a bunch of friends I are doing a warhammer 40K cosplay group, and it'd be cool to be able to root for our respective sides.  ;D

Ree

Me and my BF will be going and we have a few armys he dose space marines i have eldar so if this is going to happen we can work on bringing them ;D (we are flying in so I will watch to see if it happens)

destranacion

pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

Reltig

I have 3 armies for WH40K From largest to smallest
Imperial Guard
Tau
Necron
If this could get going I would try my best to scramble my units together and bring em

I mostly use IG  but I try not to paint them much because my painting skills are pretty bad.

Alexei

I'd love to see some WH40K games. i have a 'cron army and i am starting a pure daemonhunter army.
The More You Know, The More It Grows.
"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."

HentaiTentacleDemon

i have a friend who's into warhammer. i'll let him know about this.

Nanashi

Maybe we should organize some kinda tourny. Would anyone be down for that?

lmskat

A 40K tournament of sorts would be awesome. I'm sure, if it were actually planned out, my friend and I would be down to join. Dark Eldar and Tau. Let's do it!

KevFox2169

This would all go a lot more smoothly if we went with the standard RTT rules.

Quick Reference off the top of my head:

Standard Force Organization Chart: (At least 1 HQ and 2 troops)

1500-1750 game

Forgeworld and custom rules may or may not be used, (more dependent on us, the tourny organizers)

With that, we could get a lot going. People can start assembling their travel sized take on all comer's lists. Just the thought of a Spike Speigel cosplayer representing with his Inquisitor army against Gaara with his Necrons. Makes me all warm inside.
"It is better to reign in hell that to serve in heaven." - Paradise Lost (its a book.)

www.twilightknights.com

Nanashi

This is just my two cents, but mayhaps we could break it down into a 1000 point tourny, a 1500 point tourny and a 2000 point tourny.

lmskat

Breaking the tournament into different point sizes will make the entire thing all too confusing. First of all, having people standing around like dumb asses writing up their army list while people are trying to play would be entirely frustrating. It would be better organized if those who wanted to play created a 1500 point list before they come to play. Second of all, only being allowed one army for the tournament would challenge people to create a versatile army. That's half the fun.

KevFox2169

Alright Beezy's, heres how it'll happen. I'll make a complete plan. Then you guys can tweak/screw it up and then we all end up with something we're all equally unhappy with. Hahaha, sound good? thought so.

(Goes to show how much a rhetoric major helped ME communicate!)

Firstly, we need 2-3 people to volunteer to staff it. If we keep it small, we keep it organized, and that will be much more engaging and exciting than a big cluster*#$& of people trying to play games on the few tables that we'll comandeer.

As such, the more we hold to Rouge Trader Tournament rules, the easier we make it for ourselves. ALTHOUGH! We fanime folk are of a different breed, and so its fair to diverge from it to make it a fanime tourny, and not just a GW doppleganging failure.

Heres the bread and butter:

Players sign up/register with Name, age, army name, etc etc. + a Tournament approved list of the army they will field for the tournament. 1 registered person, 1 army to play. This will give people the urge to bring balanced, "all comer's" lists, and hopefully will cut down on the powergaming. (so will the lack of any real prize, but lets not focus on that yet)

Upon signing up / registering, the organizers take the names for the day and breaks them into an organized even number, throws the names into a hat, and selects pairs to be matched up. Your typical K-1 style 2 men enter, 1 man leaves formula, until the 2 last standing play.

Now, to completely streamline the process. I feel that tables should be set up with terrain and not be moved at all. players roll only for deployment, table quarters, and who goes first. They play where they play. we can play around with 4 player tables and special missions and such, which would make a much more diverse tournament enviroment.

So, if we register the 1 man 1 army, randomize the coupling of the tournament rosters, use fixed tables to play on, AND throw in special missions / objectives / battle royale tables, we could have a very wham-bam-thank you madame tournament. Thus the number of people needed to play referee/mommy are greatly reduced. Rules Keeper, Creative designer, and a Coordinator would be all you really need every day for each tournament. (though extra organizers would just make this even sweeter and neater.)

Thats my plan, at least. So with this skeletal framework, hopefully you can throw on your subsequent ideas and we can end up with a Frankenstonian abomination of an idea to present to the Fanime organizers. Won't that be fun?

Hahaha, but seriously, lets get some input up in here. 
"It is better to reign in hell that to serve in heaven." - Paradise Lost (its a book.)

www.twilightknights.com

lmskat

I like plans.

So, first off: Terrain. Obviously, we need terrain. I, personally, do not have terrain. Those who have terrain (Explination: good terrain),  it would be helpful if you could volunteer it for our tournament.

Next: We need people who would be willing to donate some of their time helping out with this tournament (organizing and supervising). I'm sure my friend and I would help setting it up the first day, but we also have other things we'd like to do, as would everyone. I'm not really sure how these things get officially put into the activities list for fanime, but doing that might make it easier to designate helpers for the tournament.

Other than these things, we really just need to make sure people play by the rules. Those who want to play need to bring their codex in some shape or form, as well as a general knowledge of the rule book and or the actual thing. Maybe we could have two or three rule books there for referance if people do not want to bring their own.

Beejan-a-licious

I have a Space Marines army. Poorly painted, but it will do. Also, I have incredibly old models. Oh well. 

KevFox2169

Sounds like I'm talking to myself. Which is fine for most days, since I do indeed like talking to myself, but when organizing something like Warhammer, it seems like a corroborative effort should be in order.  I agree that we need terrain and "staff" to help. But I dont think my 3 paragraphs of skeletal outline suffices as a plan with which to start assigning people into.

But, until someone changes my original plan, I suppose we're not left with much else to do. So, time to start thinking of jobs for people to do to help this get off the ground. (or else we're having a coke can and carrying case as terrain for the boards. And no one wants that.)

So, I think we'll need 3 people willing to fill up each role, so that people get shifts instead of being trapped in a smelly gaming room all day. So lets just be aware that there are 3 spots for each job. (and any ideas for jobs to be added later will be swell too.)

Job1: Rules Master
1.)
2.)
3.)

Job2: Time Keeper
1.)
2.)
3.)

Job3: MatchMaker
1.)
2.)
3.)

I'm late for class, so I can't really think of anything more, but hopefully instead of posting more, I'll just edit this.

TTFN, (ta ta for now)

www.twilightknights.com

BrightHeart76

This seems really intense...do you really need that many people to staff the game?  I'm no expert, but I've never heard of that many people staffing a game.  If you make it too complicated or restrictive no one will want to play.

Just my humble opinion.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

KevFox2169

Well, I suppose since there are less than a handful of Players even interested in Warhammer 40k as it does take up a lot of time. Allow us to simply readjust to say that we should have open gaming for 3 classes of point brackets.

A 400 Point combat patrol List
A 1500 Point 40k Objective list
and
A 2000 Point Cleanse/Obliterate List.

Now, the reason I really urge people to plan ahead for this is so people bring 3 configurations of a "take all comers" list for fairness sake. Also, if we have the lists, we simply plop the models we'd already planned and calculated to take down on the table. No muss no fuss. Games would run MUCH faster. Also, instead of dicerolls for pregame setups, just ask another random gamer to set it up for you. That way it isnt running on and hour before you start blasting and slashing.

Sound good?

www.twilightknights.com

SammaVacha

Hi, my *special friend* and I are on staff for tabletop gaming, and doing a game of 40k would be AWESOME!
Depending upon how many people are playing at once, that I think should be the determining factor in how many timers/judges/whatever we have. If there's only one game going at a time, it would be silly to have more than one of each. If there are like 18 games going at once, having 9 staff may be just enough.
My friend is going to talk to a co-worker of his who runs gigantic enormous APOCALYPSE 40k games where you've got like six folks fighting against six others all in one mega conglomerate game. So we'll offer updates on any advice we obtain!
What would be super awesome is to decide how people will sign up for the tourney (will they just wander in and hope someone's available at some point? or sign up one day to play on another?) so that then we can figure out how the matching will work. I imagine some people might be interested in playing who maybe wouldn't care to compete - but would just want to play...