Fanime Artist Alley 08

Started by Evode, November 11, 2007, 09:51:11 PM

Evode

Hello Fanime Artists!

Thanks for your interest in being part of the Artist Alley at FanimeCon 2008.  We have compiled your suggestions and comments from last year and hope to improve on this year's experience.  We hope that with these adjustments your experience this year will be a positive and fun one!

There have been a lot of artists that have signed up, but don't worry, there are a lot of tables still available this year. In order to have a table you must fulfill the following requirements:

· You must have a full convention pass.
· You must have a valid sales permit, either for the year, or the weekend of the convention.
· You must have a completed and signed Fanime 2008 Artist Alley Contract. (See next post)
· You must have your table paid in full by the cutoff date. This fee is non-refundable and time sensitive, so the payment must be post marked by the appropriate date.

How to reserve a table:

In order to reserve a table you must have the following mailed in to the Fanime office:

· Proof of purchase of a full convention pass (the confirmation email is fine).
· A completed Fanime Artist Alley 2008 Contract.
· A photocopy of your sales permit, or proof of sales permit registration.
· A check or money order made out to: Anime Resource Group. (Cash or Paypal are not accepted).

Please mail the above to:

FanimeCon 2008 Artist Alley Registration
798 Auzerais Avenue
San Jose, CA 95126

Once we have received this information we will be able to complete your registration for 2008.

For more information about the FanimeCon Artist Alley 2008 please visit our Myspace and Livejournal:

· Myspace  http://groups.myspace.com/Fanimeartistsalley2008group
· Livejournal: http://community.livejournal.com/fanimeaa2008/

Below we have compiled a few of the frequently asked questions concerning the Artist Alley:

How much is it for a table at the Artist Alley?

The price for one (1) table for the entire duration of the convention will be $15 if fully registered on/before 12/31/07, $20 if fully registered on/before 5/16/08, and $25 per day at the convention itself.

Why do I need a sales permit?  Other conventions don't ask me for one.

A sales permit is required in the state of California for anyone that intends to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail.  If any party that participates at this convention does not follow this, any state/federal official has the ability to shut down the exhibit hall at any time.

How old do I have to be to have a table?

The age limit for a table is 16.  If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, you must have the sellers permit under your parents name. They will be able to help you acquire a permit.  You will also need a letter of expressed written consent signed by your legal guardian stating that they assume legal responsibilities for the selling of your artwork at the convention. 

How does the seating chart work?

The seating chart will be passed around in order of registration.  Please note that the seating chart is subject to change as the other events that are held in the Exhibit Hall are also subject to change.  Be assured that by being accepted into registration you will have a table, but the exact location of the table cannot be guaranteed.

Can I change tables?

Once you have chosen your seating arrangement it will be locked down until convention time.  At the day of the convention you can discuss changing locations with the other artist involved.

I have friends that I want to sit by, how can I be assured that I'm sitting next to or near them?

If you wish to sit by other artists you must follow these instructions very carefully.  Failure to do so will not guarantee that you will be all sitting together.  If you have a group that wishes to sit together please inform all parties involved that you wish to sit together.  The seating chart is passed around in order of registration, so the first person to receive the seating chart will be the spokesperson for your group.  When responding to artist alley management please inform them of the block of tables you wish to reserve along with ALL of the parties involved.  Failure to do so will result in incorrect seating, and you will not be guaranteed adjoining or adjacent seats.

Another way this can be accomplished is if you are a group of artists, you may all use one contract to sign up (all participating artists must sign the contract).  Please contact Artist Alley Management if you wish to reserve a block of tables this way.

How can I get power for my table?

If you are interested in obtaining power for your table it will be available at an additional cost, and must be authorized by Artist Alley Management.  Please contact the AA Staff if you are interested in purchasing a power outlet.  The cutoff date to request power is April 1, 2008

Where is the Artist Alley going to be?

The Artist Alley will be held in Exhibit Hall 1.  This is the room on the concourse next to the dealers room.

Will there be tables on the Concourse?

No, there will be no tables available on the Concourse this year.  The added events on the Concourse will contribute to a decreased walkway and will produce a fire hazard if additional tables are added.  We will continue to pursue this suggestion, but for Fanime 2008 these will not be available.

What are the hours of the Artist Alley?

The Exhibit Hall hours will be:
· Friday Noon to 6 PM
· Saturday 10AM to 6PM
· Sunday 10AM to 6PM
· Monday 10AM to 3PM

We will try to have the room opened an hour before opening so that artists will have time to setup and prepare.  Artists must be out of the room by 6:30 Friday to Sunday, and by 3PM on Saturday (Hours are subject to change).

Can I leave my stuff at my table overnight?

The rooms will be secured after hours, but the facility access corridors will not be closed or locked.  FanimeCon is not liable for lost or stolen goods.  We suggest that you take any valuables with you when you leave for the evening.

Will there be power available at my table?

Power will not be available for individual tables.  We will have a few outlets available at the AA Manager table for recharging and printer hookup.  This will be on a first come first served basis, and will only be available for printing or recharging.

If you have any additional questions you may email us at [email protected]
Or post a reply and I will try my best to answer your questions.

Aya Brea X

Hi, some quick questions:

Is there a version of the agreement that is slightly higher resolution?  When I printed mine out on 8.5 x 11 the text is very fuzzy.

The "Event Place" on the table agreement is the San Jose Cultural and Convention Facility located at 150 West San Carlos Blvd, San Jose CA 95118.  There is actually a place caled "San Jose Cultural and Convention Facility" located at 801 N 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95110.  The only reason I noticed is that when I checked my seller's permit address against the agreement, the zip and street type doesn't match.  I checked the location again on the Fanime website and it's listed as "San Jose McEnery Convetnion Center".  A web search gave me this adddress

150 West San Carlos St  (not Blvd)
San Jose, CA 95113 (as opposed to 95118)

Please let me know which address is the correct one, thanks!

konekobombay

I also have a question, some friends and I are looking at doing a table together, I just would like some clarification; we all have to sign the agreement form right? Do we all have to have our own sales passes too or can one of us get the pass and the others be listed under that person?

LadyKaren

The Artist Alley Section is now on the fanime.com website, btw. :D

Evode

Aya Brea X: Wow, thank you for catching that! I'll pass that information on immediately and get back to you when I can!

konekobomkbay: Yes, you each need to have your own contracts signed, and you can also use one permit if you are all listed under that seller.

BunofGovt

I have a seller's permit.  If I get a table, but my friends want me to sell some of their items on the table for them, do they sign on my contract, or each a separate contract, but can they use my seller's permit number?  I don't think they will actually be sitting at the table, I think I'll be the only one.

Of course, they may also try to get a table themselves ...
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Aya Brea X

Quote from: Evode on December 13, 2007, 03:48:44 PM
Aya Brea X: Wow, thank you for catching that! I'll pass that information on immediately and get back to you when I can!

konekobomkbay: Yes, you each need to have your own contracts signed, and you can also use one permit if you are all listed under that seller.

I went ahead and sent in the money and the form.  I'll sign a new contract if you make changes on it and need a new copy, but I'll also need to fix my permit if that's what ends up changing ^_^;; I will keep checking here for the info.  Thanks!

tasan84

Hi, I'm new around here and this would be my first time selling prints at the Artist Alley. Hopefully I would get some questions answered.

I'm confused on how to apply for a seller's permit. I'm trying to get a table soon instead of when the month of the convention. Should I apply for a temporary or a regular if I'm planning on applying for a table? Please fill free to give me any additional information that I need to know.

Sorry, if I'm asking much, I just want to go through this smoothly for my first time. ^_^

Aya Brea X

Quote from: tasan84 on December 14, 2007, 01:48:36 PM
Hi, I'm new around here and this would be my first time selling prints at the Artist Alley. Hopefully I would get some questions answered.

I'm confused on how to apply for a seller's permit. I'm trying to get a table soon instead of when the month of the convention. Should I apply for a temporary or a regular if I'm planning on applying for a table? Please fill free to give me any additional information that I need to know.

Sorry, if I'm asking much, I just want to go through this smoothly for my first time. ^_^

You should apply for a temporary permit.  Regular is if you are opening a business that does transactions more than 90 days in a year in California in a regular location. 

poftd

Hey, I'm also a first-time signer-upper (yay made up words), and I registered for the convention at the con, so I just have the yellow copy. Would I send in a photocopy then?

jAded

I sent in my stuff at the beginning of december and have yet to hear back about whether or not my stuff has been received by the staff for table registration.

Chloe

Quote from: jAded on December 18, 2007, 10:58:48 AM
I sent in my stuff at the beginning of december and have yet to hear back about whether or not my stuff has been received by the staff for table registration.

Yeah, me too.  I e-mailed them wondering about my registration, if everything went out okay.  I haven't heard back from them in a long time. 

I heard though that you won't get to do the seating chart ti'll somewhere near the con date...  I wonder if they would contact you from there?

EDIT:  I actually heard back from them as of recently.  Said the confirmation e-mail won't come ti'll after the next Staff Meeting.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

jAded

Quote from: Chloe on December 24, 2007, 02:16:57 AM
Yeah, me too.  I e-mailed them wondering about my registration, if everything went out okay.  I haven't heard back from them in a long time. 

I heard though that you won't get to do the seating chart ti'll somewhere near the con date...  I wonder if they would contact you from there?

EDIT:  I actually heard back from them as of recently.  Said the confirmation e-mail won't come ti'll after the next Staff Meeting.

With my fear of things getting lost/misdirected due to air mail, I just want to know if they received my payment/paperwork for the table or not. I understand that the seating chart being emailed will be an indication of whether you got a table or not, but when will that be? Are they not going to let us know til a specific deadline for table registrations? A week or two before the con? a month? Are they waiting for a specific percentage of tables to be filled up before they make a seating chart and send it out? The seating chart isn't an issue here, far from it, they can take all the time they need. I just don't think it's fair to make people wait not knowing if stuff has been received or not. I'm not asking them to make a seating chart right away, just to confirm whether or not stuff has been received. And which is another reason why I don't understand why tables couldn't be purchased online the same way passes were purchased.

When is the next staff meeting? 8D

Pardon the OCD impulses. I like to have all my ducks in a row... 8D

Evode

Hey guys.~
I have a new update for you all.
Concerning those of you who signed up last fanime, and those who have sent their papers in and have not received word back yet, once fanime office hands us the first wave of contracts we will send out confirmation e-mails to everyone who's papers we received as well as everyone who signed up last Fanime.

I will post to let you know when those e-mails go out so that if you'll know if you don't get one.

Thanks for your patience.~ <3

alcblueyes

haha shika you sound all professional.<33
oh wait, i got a question, should i call you evode or shika, hmmmmm..
^___~
no no i got a real question for you then, do the proceedings earned at ones table get taxed at all? and is there a limit as to the maturity of the art work one is aloud to sell?
~*~The Earth Is The Insane Asylum Of The Universe.~*~

--

Temari owns.

edendreams

Goodness I feel a bit overwhelmed just reading the information about the artist alley.

It should be apparently obvious that I'm a newbie at this whole thing and just the thought of trying to sell art at the convention gets my heart racing. I guess what i'm most curious about is what sort of tips do people have for new artists wanting to sell?

I really looking foward to participating but I would love to get some advice and tips to help me out. I'm kind of on my own at this so ANY advice would be greatly appreiated.

a little art by me ^-^

Tony

Quote from: alcblueyes on January 01, 2008, 06:38:34 PM
no no i got a real question for you then, do the proceedings earned at ones table get taxed at all?
Yep! But like any other business, it's up to you to report the income and pay the taxes. (That's why they ask you to estimate how much you'll make on the seller's permit application.) ... or risk the IRS getting all upset with you.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

jAded

Quote from: Evode on December 31, 2007, 11:47:59 AM
Hey guys.~
I have a new update for you all.
Concerning those of you who signed up last fanime, and those who have sent their papers in and have not received word back yet, once fanime office hands us the first wave of contracts we will send out confirmation e-mails to everyone who's papers we received as well as everyone who signed up last Fanime.

I will post to let you know when those e-mails go out so that if you'll know if you don't get one.

Thanks for your patience.~ <3

Just a question on when that will be. The meeting was held over a week ago. Thanks!

Cole

when will we recieve a confirmation for our tables?  I sent in my registration and my friend's together but my statements show that the check has yet to be cashed...you guys should have recieved it Jan. 31st....

I tried e-mailing twice but no one's responded.

naruto_ramen_1

Hi there ^__^

I'm just about to send my paperwork out. Just waiting on the seller's permit number.

I'm very excited to be a part of artists' alley.

http://www.toontwins.deviantart.com

For those of you who have done this in the past, could you share your experiences?

Also, what is the next step in the process to getting a table? Will all the info be posted on this thread?
Dattebayo!