Cosplay Spectacular 2008 [FINAL LIST POSTED] [LOCKED]

Started by angeljibrille, November 12, 2007, 08:29:21 AM

Rette

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 23, 2008, 09:18:20 PM
Quote from: Rette on April 23, 2008, 08:03:33 PM
Live steel sword question:

I know a live steel sword can't be carried out of its scabbard during the con or at the Masquerade performance, but in a strictly supervised environment such as judging could it come out of its sheath?

I'm guessing not, but just figured I'd ask since nothing is better made than a real high-carbon steel blade and it really adds to the look and feel of the costume.

Looking at the Weapons Policy here: http://www.fanime.com/about/policies it says "Live steel is not permitted.  Live steel is defined as swords, knives, or other objects made of metal that can take an edge.  Dull metal weapons are considered live steel, and therefore are not permitted.  Live steel in a scabbard or protective cover is still not permitted."

So I'd say you should not bring that sword at ALL to the convention.

I realize there is a section regarding allowing non-conforming weapons for masquerade with special permission, but live steel tends to be strictly prohibited and the fanime security people are unlikely to allow it.  I would strongly suggest looking into finding a non-metal alternative for your prop.

Guess they've changed the policy... I've been bringing steel weapons to the con for 2 years now, and as long as it is secured in its scabbard (which I do beforehand, usually with chain), they've let me carry them.

Since it's a special circumstance I shall e-mail the supreme powers.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

angeljibrille

Quote from: Rette on April 24, 2008, 12:02:37 AM
Guess they've changed the policy... I've been bringing steel weapons to the con for 2 years now, and as long as it is secured in its scabbard (which I do beforehand, usually with chain), they've let me carry them.

Since it's a special circumstance I shall e-mail the supreme powers.

I have good (and bad) news for you.

YES you can bring it for Masquerade. However, there are rules.

#1. Please put it in your special needs request NOW. If I am not award of it in advance, you CANNOT bring it.

#2. Must be stored in your car and/or hotel room in a case and/or tube until Saturday at 5:00pm.

#3. Item must be checked in with the Fanime Security Weapon's Master backstage when you arrive at the Civic on Saturday.

#4. You check the item out right before your performance, do your skit on the stage, walk off the stage to the photo area and take your photo, then go back and re-check your weapon with the weapon's master.

#5. Check it back out after the Masquerade is over and return it DIRECTLY to your car or hotel room. You will NOT be able to take it out for post-Masquerade photos; if security sees you doing this you will get in a lot of trouble ^_^;

I hope this helps. Thanks :)

LunaNeko

Uh, oh, Weapon Policy looks exeptionally harsh this year. I went ahead and put our props in the special needs section in our registration. We are group Nekoyaki and one of our members has little plastic guns glued to the insides of her cape. They are completely non-functional, but might look like real tiny guns.  Hope it won't cause any problems!

angeljibrille

Quote from: LunaNeko on April 24, 2008, 11:12:40 PM
Uh, oh, Weapon Policy looks exeptionally harsh this year. I went ahead and put our props in the special needs section in our registration. We are group Nekoyaki and one of our members has little plastic guns glued to the insides of her cape. They are completely non-functional, but might look like real tiny guns.  Hope it won't cause any problems!

I hope everyone knows that this is completely out of my control ^_^;; I have no say in the security policy.

However, they were kind enough to give me some leeway for Masquerade (and only for Masquerade). :)

LunaNeko

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 25, 2008, 11:05:00 AM

I hope everyone knows that this is completely out of my control ^_^;; I have no say in the security policy.

However, they were kind enough to give me some leeway for Masquerade (and only for Masquerade). :)

Oh, I understand completely!
Will there be a problem getting our props judged during craftsmanship judging???

angeljibrille

Quote from: LunaNeko on April 25, 2008, 01:14:08 PM
Oh, I understand completely!
Will there be a problem getting our props judged during craftsmanship judging???

If they are props that do not fit in with the "regular" rules, then they need to be judged on Saturday. Just let me know. You can have your costumes judged on Friday, and the props on Saturday.

doragon

I have a question, not sure if its been addressed.  Do we need to register our stage ninjas in the group, like we did with those performing in the skit, if we plan on having them or when we sign in can we just let you know we are going to have stage ninjas? - if we have them, I'm still trying to see if the people I'm going to ask will be stage ninjas and all.
[ 'cause, they aren't in costume or anything .. but they would be part of the performance]
Stuff!

angeljibrille

Quote from: doragon on April 28, 2008, 06:58:40 PM
I have a question, not sure if its been addressed.  Do we need to register our stage ninjas in the group, like we did with those performing in the skit, if we plan on having them or when we sign in can we just let you know we are going to have stage ninjas? - if we have them, I'm still trying to see if the people I'm going to ask will be stage ninjas and all.
[ 'cause, they aren't in costume or anything .. but they would be part of the performance]

Just put em in the Special needs section! :)

Thanks

Delvish

This question is probably posted somewhere but I haven't found it yet. Since there is an Emcee narration slot that is optional on the registration form, What exactly will the Emcee say regarding your entry if it is blank and then if it is filled out with with something?

seiginomikata

Quote from: Delvish on April 30, 2008, 05:38:19 PM
This question is probably posted somewhere but I haven't found it yet. Since there is an Emcee narration slot that is optional on the registration form, What exactly will the Emcee say regarding your entry if it is blank and then if it is filled out with with something?

Generally, though I can't account for this year's MC, it goes something like "Entry number X, (group name) presenting (series costumes are from)"  and after the entry they'll say "(name) as (character)" if the MC field is left blank.

Mister_E

uhh my e-mail crapped out on me since we changed from internet49.com to att.net

so I can't get into my account, will there be any problems? I can't switch e-mails now.

It's saying that it's not valid and should check my e-mail account but I can't!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Mister_E

Quote from: Mister_E on May 05, 2008, 11:03:10 AM
uhh my e-mail crapped out on me since we changed from internet49.com to att.net

so I can't get into my account, will there be any problems? I can't switch e-mails now.

It's saying that it's not valid and should check my e-mail account but I can't!
Oh nevermind, it was just computer troubles!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Rette

Huzzah, more questions... >.>;;

1. Can staff be in the Masquerade? One of my group members is on the Gaming Staff. I didn't see anything about it in the guidelines.

2. Are the groups 65+ on a secondary wait list? Or are the entries just reviewed in batches?

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

angeljibrille

Quote from: Rette on May 08, 2008, 01:12:00 PM
Huzzah, more questions... >.>;;

1. Can staff be in the Masquerade? One of my group members is on the Gaming Staff. I didn't see anything about it in the guidelines.

As long as you aren't on Cosplay Staff, it's not a problem. :)

2. Are the groups 65+ on a secondary wait list? Or are the entries just reviewed in batches?

Let's put it this way: it's not really a # of groups thing, it's a time issue. Basically, if you are on the list, show up at the convention and check in. If you are in the first 55 groups, you have priority over everyone else. HOWEVER, say we have all 55 groups register, and the total time for their skits measures out to 2 hours. We have about 3 hours total for Masquerade, so we can usually accomodate additional groups. If we get several walk ons, they are all going to be grouped together at the start in a type of "fashion show", which leaves us more room for skits.

I am (taking a deep breath and crossing fingers) betting that we will be able to accomodate everyone who has signed up at this point. Based on the number of people, the types of skits, and our yearly dropout rate of 20% (due to various reasons, such as not finishing costumes on time, not being able to go to Fanime, or combining with another group), I expect we will end up with around 50-60 groups in the actual show this year, but that wil likely include even those in Group 88 on the waiting list. Also, I am going to be purging groups soon who are flagged "Problem" if they don't fill out the rest of their information.

So, don't be discouraged :)  Please just show up at the convention on Friday to check in. Those who check in early are likely to score those waiting list spots. Final spots will be announced on Saturday at about 10:00am. If I were you, I would presume that you are going to get in.

Many thanks!

Nina Star 9

What is the latest that a group can drop out of the Masquerade? I am seriously doubting my ability to get my cosplay done at this point, but I don't want to drop out just yet in case I change my mind (and decide to take on the stress of starting a cosplay this late).

angeljibrille

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 10, 2008, 10:55:29 AM
What is the latest that a group can drop out of the Masquerade? I am seriously doubting my ability to get my cosplay done at this point, but I don't want to drop out just yet in case I change my mind (and decide to take on the stress of starting a cosplay this late).

I will be sending out a confirmation e-mail sometime next week. If I don't hear back from the e-mails by Saturday, May 17, then I remove people. So if you could decide by May 17, that would be great :)

Thanks!
Marisa

Mister_E

Quote from: angeljibrille on May 10, 2008, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 10, 2008, 10:55:29 AM

I will be sending out a confirmation e-mail sometime next week. If I don't hear back from the e-mails by Saturday, May 17, then I remove people. So if you could decide by May 17, that would be great :)

Thanks!
Marisa
So if I changed or Original e-mail address do I different one would the E-mail get set to the new one still?

TripleM

A couple more questions:

Will there be enough space for people to come on and off stage? AKA will there be wings/curtains to hide behind and enter the stage from?

I'm going to have a set of removable wings with my costume. Would it be alright if I went onstage with them on and again with them off? (It wouldn't be for two different characters, more like a powered up version of a character and then a battle scarred version of the same person)

Would it be better to use paper cutouts of guns or plastic ones? The guns have an orange stripe around the nozzle, but I'm not sure if you can use toy guns in the Masquerade.

One of our members will be an object (from a game). Is that an acceptable cosplay entry? (She'll be running around on the stage...  XD)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Mister_E on May 10, 2008, 02:38:26 PM
So if I changed or Original e-mail address do I different one would the E-mail get set to the new one still?

As long as you update your info, you will get it at the new info. I don't store the old e-mails. :)

Thanks

angeljibrille

Quote from: TripleM on May 10, 2008, 05:00:38 PM
Will there be enough space for people to come on and off stage? AKA will there be wings/curtains to hide behind and enter the stage from?

Yes. There's also a way to walk behind the curtain. However, everyone at the end of the skit will need to EXIT on the same side because we only have one approved exit (I think it's stage right).

I'm going to have a set of removable wings with my costume. Would it be alright if I went onstage with them on and again with them off? (It wouldn't be for two different characters, more like a powered up version of a character and then a battle scarred version of the same person)

Not a problem.

Would it be better to use paper cutouts of guns or plastic ones? The guns have an orange stripe around the nozzle, but I'm not sure if you can use toy guns in the Masquerade.

You can bring the plastic ones. They need to be stored backstage until your skit with the Weapon's Master, used for your skit, and then returned. Please leave the orange tip on though. Thanks :)

One of our members will be an object (from a game). Is that an acceptable cosplay entry? (She'll be running around on the stage...  XD)

Depends... email me with details? :) thanks