Cosplay Spectacular 2008 [FINAL LIST POSTED] [LOCKED]

Started by angeljibrille, November 12, 2007, 08:29:21 AM

angeljibrille

Updated 5/22:

Closing this thread! I'll see you all at the convention. Please check in with us on Friday or Saturday in SJCC romms D & E, or just stop by if you have questions.

I will no longer be answering e-mails, PMs, etc.

Good luck everyone! Safe travel to the convention!

Updated 5/20:
Online registration is CLOSED. The final list has been posted, based on people who filled out their registrations and confirmed.

Remember to check here:
http://www.fanime.com/events/cosplay-and-masquerade

I hope to see you all at the convention and thank you very much for your participation in the Cosplay Spectacular.

CHECK THIS LINK FOR RULES

Please read the EXHAUSTIVE Guidelines and Craftsmanship people will probably want to read the Craftsmanship FAQ

Click here for information on the Civic (including stage dimensions)

Thank you all and good luck planning those skits and crafting those costumes!

Marisa Price
Fanime Cosplay Coordinator

angeljibrille

Anyone participating in the Masquerade needs to have made most of their costume or made it with a group or had it made by the "Group Designer" (who must be in the skit).

We do ask basic questions when you check in. Other cosplayers have been known to be tattletales too, so don't anticipate that you can get around the rules; you WILL disqualify your group.

From the rules:

Please note that costumes purchased or rented from a costume shop, designer direct, eBay, Yahoo Auctions, Yahoo Japan Auctions, Cospa, any other costume store or online resource, or any costumes made for you by a designer or seamstress, are prohibited. Ignoring this rule will negate your eligibility (and your group's eligibility; even if only one person in the group has a disqualified costume) to participate in Masquerade and will also disqualify you for any performance and/or craftsmanship awards. Honesty is always the best policy; tell us if one person in your group made all the costumes. That person (as long as they are a member of your group) is eligible for a Design Award (see the Awards section for more details).

There are two notable exceptions to the "purchased or rented" policy:

Exception 1: "Found Item" costumes are allowed. This is basically a costume that was built by collecting various appropriate pieces from normal clothing stores and combining them together in a unique way (with or without sewing) to make a costume.

Exception 2: If the participant is in the Junior/Youth division, we completely understand if Mom and/or Dad (or a guardian) made or helped to make the costume. However, if this is the case, we would appreciate that Mom and/or Dad (or the guardian) be present at Masquerade to answer the judges' questions and to supervise the participant.

--------------

To pre-emptively answer some questions:

Yes, this has been in place for several years. No, this rule will not be changed. Yes, we did discuss it extensively last year (and the year before, and the year before that), and detailed the resons for Fanime's policies. Yes, every other convention does it this way too, from AX to ComicCon. You can find the info by searching in the forums.

If you want to dress up in a purchased costume, you have options like Stage Zero, the official gatherings, and other resources. The Masquerade is specifically for those who want to compete, and competing means at least making some of your costume or making it with your group or even having your group designer make it and you just wear it (the designer must be in the skit). We have so many people wanting to participate that we have to cut it off somewhere, and that's the dividing line.

Thank you for your understanding and compliance with this issue,
Marisa
Fanime Masquerade Coordinator

Akito-kun

So there is no possible way we could enter in the masquarade with a bought costume, but not be eligiable for the costume awards portion? They did that at Otakon 07 I believe.

*Sigh*

Guess I have to make a new costume v_v

Oh, and comissioned wigs are okay, right?

Cosplays:
Akito SJ-Air Gear(%100)
Near-Death Note(%100)
Agito Dress-Air Gear(%75)
Shuichi-Gravitation(%0)
Shuichi SG-Gravitation(%0)
Cons: Sac-Anime,AOD,Fanime,AX,Otakon 0

angeljibrille

Quote from: Akito-kun on November 15, 2007, 08:30:34 PM
So there is no possible way we could enter in the masquarade with a bought costume, but not be eligiable for the costume awards portion? They did that at Otakon 07 I believe.

No, sorry.

Absolutely fine ^_^

I'm OK with comissioned weapons too, but you need to let us know.

Also, we are not insane. Found items like jewlery, jeans, shoes, etc., are fine. You don't need to make EVERYTHING. We just want to see some real effort. Thanks :)

(fixed typo)

Akito-kun

Quote from: angeljibrille on November 15, 2007, 09:14:47 PM

Absolutely fine ^_^

I'm OK with comissioned weapons too, but you need to let us know.

Also, we are not insane. Found items like jewlery, jeans, shoes, etc., are fine. You don't need to make EVERYTHING. We just want to see some real effort. Thanks :)

Alright, Thank you :]

Oh, One more question. Things like dresses and stuff. One cosplay im probably going to put together involves a Dress and some other stuff. Would it count as "Found" If I went to a store, and just bought a dress, and other things i've found like wings at this one Japanese store, and other random accecories since its not comissioned or anything?

Cosplays:
Akito SJ-Air Gear(%100)
Near-Death Note(%100)
Shuichi-Gravitation(%0)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Akito-kun on November 15, 2007, 09:22:33 PM
Oh, One more question. Things like dresses and stuff. One cosplay im probably going to put together involves a Dress and some other stuff. Would it count as "Found" If I went to a store, and just bought a dress, and other things i've found like wings at this one Japanese store, and other random accecories since its not comissioned or anything?

Yes, this is fine. Because you are putting together a whole outfit to create the character and you are working to find the pieces. Much different than having someone make you one and send it via eBay ^_^;;;

Akito-kun

Quote from: angeljibrille on November 15, 2007, 09:25:31 PM
Quote from: Akito-kun on November 15, 2007, 09:22:33 PM

Yes, this is fine. Because you are putting together a whole outfit to create the character and you are working to find the pieces. Much different than having someone make you one and send it via eBay ^_^;;;

Okay, Thank you!

Cosplays:
Akito SJ-Air Gear(%100)
Near-Death Note(%100)
Shuichi-Gravitation(%0)

kat-hime

I was just wondering,
how many skits can one group do?

lycan510

i can answer that one. Each person is only allowed in one skit.

i had this problem last year... TT_TT

Question. What if we bought the costume from a friend and modified it to fit a specific character? would that count?
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Bella Anne Summers

I had to tweak my orginal plan haha.

Sailor Moon
Kiki
Yuna
Shiva
Cosplaying:
Thief Rikku [FFX-2]
Buffy Summers [Buffy the Vampire Slayer]
Super Sailor Moon [Sailor Moon]
Feena [Grandia I]

Tur713

What are the guidelines of a live musical performance? Do the same rules apply?
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

angeljibrille

Quote from: lycan510 on November 29, 2007, 06:18:55 PM
i can answer that one. Each person is only allowed in one skit.

i had this problem last year... TT_TT

Question. What if we bought the costume from a friend and modified it to fit a specific character? would that count?

PM me with details ^_^; this is one I can't decide just by your basic description.

angeljibrille

Quote from: kat-hime on November 27, 2007, 10:32:54 PM
I was just wondering,
how many skits can one group do?

One skit per person. One costume also per person (no running off the stage, changing into another costume, etc.). You can have a costume that "changes" into a different costume though (like you tear off your Tuxedo and have sailor Fuku underneath).

Thanks!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Tur713 on December 10, 2007, 04:58:47 PM

We will have 4 microphones on the stage. We need to be made aware in advance what you plan to do, and how many mics you need. We also need some sort of intro music even if you are doing an acapella performance.

Thanks!
Marisa

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

FinalShadows

Quote from: Mister_E on December 10, 2007, 07:47:47 PM
Wait is that place across the street?
Yes. The one with the millions of chairs in the middle and Surrounding Seats. I think the connection for the DSs would be much better in there.
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Tur713

Quote from: angeljibrille on December 10, 2007, 07:26:46 PM
Quote from: Tur713 on December 10, 2007, 04:58:47 PM

We will have 4 microphones on the stage. We need to be made aware in advance what you plan to do, and how many mics you need. We also need some sort of intro music even if you are doing an acapella performance.

Thanks!
Marisa
Okay, what I currently have planned is a solo violin performance, but what I was really searching for was if there were any different rules about performance length or costuming. Is there anything else I should be aware of when setting this up? I really want to do something fun and memorable.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

Mister_E

I'll give everyone a hint, it has the Laughing Man mixed with a little Zeon.

Yukari Kaiba

wow, bummer that we werent able to get the CPA this year D: it had perfect seating so everyone had a good view of the stage..oh well.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)