Suggestions

Started by BrightHeart76, November 12, 2007, 07:06:32 PM

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 03:06:45 AM
Quote from: BrightHeart76 on November 12, 2007, 07:06:32 PM

Her boyfriend tried Helsing with her...that was a big no go.  I've thought about trying Karin, but I'm afraid it won't go over well because of the whole "reverse Vampire" thing.   Any ideas?  It doesn't have to be vampire related, I think it's the "romanticism" of Vampires that she likes.  I'm just at a loss on what to try next.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.  Thank you in advance.

Yeah ok. All I have to do is quote. I don't even need to respond anymore, Mikey.

And you suggested Tsukuyomi. XD

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 03:19:17 AM

Her boyfriend tried Helsing with her...that was a big no go.  I've thought about trying Karin, but I'm afraid it won't go over well because of the whole "reverse Vampire" thing.   Any ideas?  It doesn't have to be vampire related, I think it's the "romanticism" of Vampires that she likes.  I'm just at a loss on what to try next.

Yeah ok. All I have to do is quote. I don't even need to respond anymore, Mikey.

Especially when she already said Hellsing was a "no go", you don't see the wrong in recommending stuff like Blood+ and Blood: The Last Vampire and so forth? There is a limit to how you can defend someone Jun. When you get into Anime, it's already a new cultural experience. Keep that in mind when you think someone might be in a "cultural shock" when they are already a part of that cultural experience.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

lol...oh, and I just realized you said my opinions are wrong, Mikey. Funny stuff. I can't even begin to comment how much of a hypocrite you are with what you posted as your reasons with what I have said. Keep at it Mikey with your incoherent rants about random crap and your 3rd grade English skills. You impact me a lot and everyone else around you with your ideals and objective like opinions. All hail you who knows more just because you can wiki information and post it on here. Lol internet. 

That doesn't even make sense! Yes... your suggestion... doesn't fit... that description... at... all. Everything I said applies and makes sense about this situation. Buffy, 90210, romanticism... Tsukiyomi is NOTHING LIKE THAT. And then there's all the things about Tsukiyomi that would turn her off from JP cartoons. But all the reasoning I gave apparently doesn't make sense? Yeah... please... Especially since, I don't use wiki.

Maybe I should just be like you, and reply with 1 line replies that don't make sense, or apply, offer no other information, or reasoning. That sounds like a good idea.

I've already explained how Blood+ doesn't get into romanticism and all that until about half way through the series, and it wasn't really a suggestion, and explaination of different vampire series.

Culture shock means easing into the series... that's why people accepted Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and other easy to get into series. Or did you not read my entire explaination on that. Forcing someone into a cultural change that they don't understand is harder for the person to accept/enjoy, than easing them into it before showing them the more complicated parts of the culture. Does it really piss you off that *I* know more about this than you, that you can't just understand that your suggestion was a bad one, and that you did exactly what I said... suggest something bad with no real basis?

OP: I haven't seen it myself, but apparently you might want to look up RG Veda. A lot of my female friends say it's a good choice, and it's not that hard to get into(OAV).

LordKefka

You actually defined cultural shock wrong...lol. L2 use the dictionary..lol

And you just keep thinking you know more, Mikey. From the way you talk, it doesn't even seem you've seen Moon Phase. There is drama, romanticism (again, L2 read the dictionary for it's definition again..lol), and of course, vampires (which is hardly the argument). Or would you like me to waste my time with you going through each episode of Moon Phase and pointing out the drama and romanticism ideas in each scene.

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 03:26:02 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 03:19:17 AM

Especially when she already said Hellsing was a "no go", you don't see the wrong in recommending stuff like Blood+ and Blood: The Last Vampire and so forth? There is a limit to how you can defend someone Jun. When you get into Anime, it's already a new cultural experience. Keep that in mind when you think someone might be in a "cultural shock" when they are already a part of that cultural experience.

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 27, 2007, 06:45:33 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on November 27, 2007, 06:31:14 PM
I don't think she'll like Fruits Basket from the way you present her. It's much to childish(I loved FuruBa, so don't assume I'm looking down on it).

From this, I don't think showing her Karin or Tsukuyomi Moon Phase is a good idea, either. She might have a bad impression on anime if she's a fan of traditional vampire stories. XD;

Though, Vampire Princess Miyu and Fushigi Yuugi really doesn't seem like a bad idea. I liked Trinity Blood, but I'm not sure if she'd stick around long enough to be interested, otherwise, it'd be sort of confusing. And uh...
QuoteLOLOL Angel Sanctuary. Dunno why I didn't think of it before. That's all kinds of dramas, with gothic references and sexy girl boy incest.

As for just drama, I'd recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. It's full of drama, and it's not too hard to understand.

My last post. Neither of us suggested Blood, but as for showing her Tsukuyomi...

QuoteTsukiyomi is NOTHING like that. Tsukiyomi is extremely cute, childish, fluff. Her friend would reply with something like "Why are you showing me a little kids show" or something to that extent, which was the whole thing I said about why I think FuruBa wouldn't be that good to show to her.

If I were her, new to anime, I'd have the same reaction.

Rather than assume that I'm simply defending someone, you could possibly think that... I don't know, I don't agree with you? I already said why Tsukuyomi is a crappy suggestion.  If you're actually keeping in mind the CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, why suggest a series that wouldn't be fully understood BECAUSE of cultural differences? Tsukuyomi and Karin are moe-kei, which cute are clearly written for men... not quite for someone who is new to anime, nor is there much romanticism, there.

There's a difference between Romanticism, and a story with love and a romantic storyline.

As for Blood/Blood+, I don't see the problem in terms of cultural differences. They show it on Cartoon Network IN ENGLISH and it does just fine. Why? The cultural references aren't significant to the extent that you'd have trouble understanding the plot. The only reason I wouldn't recommend Blood is because it doesn't fit her preferences.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

There are cultural differences in a lot of Anime in a variety of ways. Moon Phase is unique in it's own way not of just being a moe Anime, but with other elements like drama, vampires, with a touch of romanticism (and yes, I know the word if you want me to define it). Anime is a different culture in itself and introduces people to different ideas. You're telling me YOU get to decide and predict what kind of culture she is willing to accept on a certain degree? That's ignorance talking, not fact.     
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Oh don't know why I didn't think of this before

Gankutsuou. Based on The Count of Monte Cristo, she might have a hard time adjusting to the character designs, but it's amazingly written, and hopefully a story she is familiar with.

RomeoXJuliet: Again, a story she is hopefully familiar with, with a JP spin on it. Contains the drama, and everything she's looking for as well.

LordKefka: I wasn't defining culture, I was inferring that, because it exists, you need to ease people into things. I've watched Tsukiyomi. Romanticism, doesn't mean relationships and fluff. There's a difference between the romanticism she's looking for, and the fluff that is in Tsukiyomi.

LOLOLOL next should I suggest Genshiken to her? I mean... that has romance and drama in it too, therefore it fits as well right? Besides the fact that 99% of the show ill go over her head, the romance and drama is nothing like she's looking for, and it's written for teenage to early 20 guys as a mocking of the otaku culture as a whole...

Yeah, that would be GREAT... wouldn't it? You keep attacking my English and how I word my sentences, seeing that I'm not speaking with 100% perfect grammar, and using short phrases where you should be able to infer meaning, instead of typing like I'm writing an essay(like... real people talk?).

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 03:47:49 AM
There are cultural differences in a lot of Anime in a variety of ways. Moon Phase is unique in it's own way not of just being a moe Anime, but with other elements like drama, vampires, with a touch of romanticism (and yes, I know the word if you want me to define it). Anime is a different culture in itself and introduces people to different ideas.   

Reasons why Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Karin, and Fruits Basket are bad suggestions were listed already. There's nothing to discuss. She has a pretty good list from all the other suggestions so far.

Unless there's any GOOD reason to object, this thread is better off kept as a quality list of suggestions that she can use to show her friend some appropriate anime that fit her preferences.

You know what's a romantic anime? Emma. It's pretty really slow-paced, though, so she might get bored. I don't know your friend, so you can use it as a possibility if you think she'd be okay with it.

EDIT: OH! GANKUTSUOU! Totally forgot about that. That's a REALLY good PERFECT suggestion, actually.

By the way, Pyron... Fruits Basket sucks. I'm sorry. =P

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Let me quote myself here...

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 02:45:38 AM
Considering she stated Hellsing wasn't a good choice already was another reason Blood+, VHD: Bloodlust, Blood; The Last Vampire and so forth wouldn't be suggested by me. Which is why it wouldn't hurt to try something new and get accustomed to the ideas Moon Phase lay out. And since there have been no objections from the actual viewer or representative of the viewer, I would assume trying it doesn't hurt.

You have your opinions and I have mine. Don't act like yours are more important since we both are talking out of ignorance of what she could potentially enjoy. So live with what I say as I live with yours.

In other words, opinions are suggestions. Don't ARGUE like an opinion is wrong just because you think it does not fit your personal criteria. It's basically all I have to say.

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 03:57:08 AM

Considering she stated Hellsing wasn't a good choice already was another reason Blood+, VHD: Bloodlust, Blood; The Last Vampire and so forth wouldn't be suggested by me. Which is why it wouldn't hurt to try something new and get accustomed to the ideas Moon Phase lay out. And since there have been no objections from the actual viewer or representative of the viewer, I would assume trying it doesn't hurt.

You have your opinions and I have mine. Don't act like yours are more important since we both are talking out of ignorance of what she could potentially enjoy. So live with what I say as I live with yours.

In other words, opinions are suggestions. Don't ARGUE like an opinion is wrong just because you think it does not fit your personal criteria. It's basically all I have to say.

Sorry, but... uh, we're not arguing over personal opinions. I'm trying to consider the preferences of the OP's friends. We're not trying to find anime for you, you realize? =P

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 04:01:43 AM

Sorry, but... uh, we're not arguing over personal opinions. I'm trying to consider the preferences of the OP's friends. We're not trying to find anime for you, you realize? =P

Then I should see no more comments pertaining to my suggestion like "XD" or "your suggestion is out of stupidity" from anyone, right?
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 04:04:41 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 04:01:43 AM

Then I should see no more comments pertaining to my suggestion like "XD" or "your suggestion is out of stupidity" from anyone, right?

We already said why it didn't work, and yet you suggested it. Somehow you didn't get the message after hearing it several times. =P

Anyways, to save the OP trouble... here's a list of all the series suggested so far. Which ones to show her friend is entirely up to her.

Karin
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase
Trinity Blood
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Rosario+Vampire
Vampire Knight
Card Captor Sakura
Sailor Moon
Vampire Princess Miyu
Fruits Basket
His or Her Circumstances
Mermaid Forest - Series
Jigoku Shoujo
Yami no Matsuei
Fushigi Yuugi
Ouran High School Host Club
Saiunkoku
Princess Tutu
Angel Sanctuary
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Red Garden
XXXHolic
RG Veda
Emma
Gankutsuou
Romeo x Juliet
12 Kouki

Paradise Kiss might be a good drama/romance series, too, but it can be... over-the-top, sometimes.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

So because you said it wouldn't work, another opinion which is different should be ruled out because it doesn't agree with what you said countless times? A little selfish and cocky don't you think? How is that respecting someone else's opinion to say what you just said to me? And you mentioned you're not here to argue over personal opinions? So you're simply suggesting to take your opinions as the overriding ones? Lol. I see no reason to keep arguing with all the contradictions. Continue with the topic then.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 04:22:39 AM
So because you said it wouldn't work, another opinion which is different should be ruled out because it doesn't agree with what you said countless times? A little selfish and cocky don't you think? How is that respecting someone else's opinion to say what you just said to me? And you mentioned you're not here to argue over personal opinions? So you're simply suggesting to take your opinions as the overriding ones? Lol. I see no reason to keep arguing with all the contradictions. Continue with the topic then.

What in the hell are you talking about? Your suggestion is a bad suggestion because it is a bad suggestion, not because of who it came from(though... no I won't bother with that line of thought). It's a bad suggestion for all the reasons we have stated. You can't even give a good reason as to how it's a good suggestion, all you're doing is saying your suggestion is good because we shouldn't say it's bad. Seriously, shut the hell up, because you don't make sense, you never do, everytime you speak to me, you don't make sense. You seem to care more about proving you're right over the entire point of this thread which was to help her pick out give suggestions for her friend and to offer up reasons as to why. I did that, you didn't, I pointed it out, now you're just bitching to somehow prove that you know more than me or something? All you've done is attack my grammar, and my English, and that I have no right to state that your suggestion is a bad one.

Tony

Hey what the hell? Calm down people. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

[moderator]
PyronIkari, suggestions are suggestions, no need to qualify them as "HORRIBLE" or "stupid".

LordKefka, no insults in this forum.
[/moderator]
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

LordKefka

Lol. Wow, now I look like the bad person even though the whole time I've basically been arguing how you can't say an opinion is wrong. Alright, I see.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 03:01:49 AM
But no, that would take knowledge on the subject of anime, which despite your proclaimations, you seem to always be wrong about.

I wonder who gave the insult.

Don't get me wrong, if it's just about disagreeing with an opinion I had, I'm perfectly fine and I'll justify it (like I've been trying to do). But you draw a line between an opinion to someone else and an actual flame to disprove an opinion and the person who made that opinion stupid and dumb just because you hold yours more highly. 
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: Tony on November 28, 2007, 08:30:37 AM
Hey what the hell? Calm down people. De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

[moderator]
PyronIkari, suggestions are suggestions, no need to qualify them as "HORRIBLE" or "stupid".

LordKefka, no insults in this forum.
[/moderator]

But there is, a suggestion is a form of advice... and there is such a thing as bad advice. The person seeking advice doesn't always know if the advice is good or not, otherwise... they wouldn't be asking for advice. If she's trying to get her friend to watch anime... showing her something that can turn her away from it completely... is BAD ADVICE. Showing her something that she would most likely not want to watch, and would not understand for the most part... is BAD ADVICE and the opposite of what she's trying to accomplish.

So there is a need to qualify them as "horrible" or "stupid", because that's what they are.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 09:09:26 AM
Lol. Wow, now I look like the bad person even though the whole time I've basically been arguing how you can't say an opinion is wrong. Alright, I see.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 03:01:49 AM
But no, that would take knowledge on the subject of anime, which despite your proclaimations, you seem to always be wrong about.

I wonder who gave the insult.

Don't get me wrong, if it's just about disagreeing with an opinion I had, I'm perfectly fine and I'll justify it (like I've been trying to do). But you draw a line between an opinion to someone else and an actual flame to disprove an opinion and the person who made that opinion stupid and dumb just because you hold yours more highly. 

Okay. For a while now, it WAS just disagreeing with your opinion. Why is it so difficult to explain to you that it WAS A BAD SUGGESTION? Even when -I- was also disagreeing, I didn't insult you. You just somehow love to pool my opinions with Pyron's because I don't agree with what you say.

Instead of considering the OP's request, you just had to keep trying to prove yourself right when there was absolutely NO point to it. A lot of your posts don't even make sense, let alone fit together. Hell, that doesn't even just apply here-- all of your arguments seem to go astray somehow and totally derail from a debate, to you whining like a kid to prove yourself right. Now Tony comes in and moderates, and all you have to say for it was "HE DID IT! HE DID IT!"

But hey, you can have your opinions. Next time, if someone suggests a good action anime, I'm gonna suggest Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu because there's just so much god damned fighting in that series. So are you going to make any more suggestions? Or are you just going to argue IN HONOR of Tsukuyomi being a brilliant choice for her friend to watch because it totally matches your idea of her preferences? =|

That list I made in my earlier post was a list of ALL the series that this thread has suggested for her. ALL of them. Including Tsukuyomi.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

You two want to be judgmental and decide for her that it is a bad suggestion, to have me waste my time trying to explain it, when the suggestion wasn't for you in the first place.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Nyxyin

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 27, 2007, 02:20:07 AM
Jigoku Shoujo only makes sense(in terms of what the writer wanted to portray) if you have a strong grasp of the Japanese culture and mentallity. They showed Jigoku Shoujo at an anime club my friend runs, and most of them are new to JP cartoons, ala Adult Swim and what not. None of them got it.  They understood the basis of the series, but they didn't understand why people made choices they did, and why people acted the way they did, because of the Japanese cultural influence that takes place. Why a bullied girl just didn't take it up with the teachers, or why she didn't fight back. The understanding of how bullying works in Japan is so very different than in the US that it was lost on them.
That's a good point.  I have been into anime for a while by now, so I guess I probably did pick up more cultural background than the average newbie, but I'm not really that much into Japanese culture.  In defense of my suggestion, I get the impression that the person we're trying to make suggestions for would not be one of the normal "Adult Swim" crowd.  Otherwise, she probably would've already gotten hooked by Cartoon Network, and the original poster wouldn't have needed to ask for suggestions.  I think people who are interested in soap operas are more likely than the Adult Swim crowd to be able to just pick up things like how Japanese bullying works from context.  Still, I think you do have a good point.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 27, 2007, 02:20:07 AMWestern vampire stories vary vastly according to where the story originates from(and none of them are actually American). Blood/Blood+ story take two different traditional vampire types.
I haven't seen Blood+ at all, but I saw Blood, and I thought it was average.  In spite of it being about vampires (and in spite of me liking vampires), the movie didn't interest me.  It completely lacked anything I like about "American vampires" -- or "Anne Rice vampires" if you prefer.  (Anne Rice was born and raised in Louisiana, so I think her stories qualify as "American".)  I don't think Anne Rice started the particular segment of vampire genre that I'm referring to, but if I had to choose one set of vampire stories that best represents what I like about "American vampires", it'd be Anne Rice.  I don't know if that's what the person in question likes about vampire stories, but it's just what I immediately think of when someone puts "romanticism" and "vampires" together.

From what you said, it sounds like the problem with Blood+ and Trinity Blood might be that there's a lot of not-interesting stuff to slog through before getting to the good parts, and a newbie who didn't like Hellsing seems likely to give up on anime completely before getting to the second half of a series.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 27, 2007, 02:20:07 AMBut show her Fushigi Yuugi. Girls eat it up for some reason. It's long, it's drama, it's got action but isn't too action based, it has sexy boys... and she'll fall in love with Tamahome just like everyone else.

Meh, I didn't fall in love with Tamahome, but I agree that Fushigi Yuugi is probably a good enough choice for a gateway anime.  I liked Ayashi no Ceres much better.  I had only been into anime for about a year when I came across Ayashi no Ceres, so I don't think it requires much cultural background.  I think the anime explained all the culture stuff I needed.

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on November 27, 2007, 07:53:24 PM
I haven't had a chance to see it, but I hear Red Garden is good. It's not a typical vampire show, but she might like it.
Ooh!  I'm not the original poster, but I haven't heard of that one before, and the Wiki entry for it sounds good.  Thanks for mentioning it!

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 02:38:05 AMXXXHolic would be a good show for her as well.
I haven't seen the anime, but the manga refers to a lot of things that seem specific to Japanese folklore.  The whole concept of hitsuzen seems out of my grasp, and while there weren't many of them, I thought the references to Tsubasa Chronicles were rather annoying.  (That said, I do like the XXXHolic manga.  Not as much as I like Petshop of Horrors, but it's still good.)

Quote from: LordKefka on November 28, 2007, 01:21:48 AMTo the topic creator:  Try out Moon Phase.
I don't have opinions about the series because I've only seen one episode of a fansub in a club, but if that series is going to be given any sort of chance whatsoever, please skip the intro.  If I could've gone somewhere else and made it back to the club in time for the next anime, I would've walked out of the show due to the intro.  Hopefully, they had the sense to remove the intro from auto-playing on the DVDs.  The actual first episode did show some potential, but I think that intro utterly sinks the anime.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 28, 2007, 03:33:16 AMOP: I haven't seen it myself, but apparently you might want to look up RG Veda. A lot of my female friends say it's a good choice, and it's not that hard to get into(OAV).
I thought RG Veda was a good manga.  However, I encountered the OAV first, and while I did think it was interesting, I thought it was more confusing than interesting.  (But that's why I had to get the manga...)  It's not bad, but I thought the anime by itself is confusing and unsatisfying.

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 28, 2007, 04:10:39 AMAnyways, to save the OP trouble... here's a list of all the series suggested so far. Which ones to show her friend is entirely up to her. ... Paradise Kiss might be a good drama/romance series, too, but it can be... over-the-top, sometimes.
Hi!  That isn't a list of all the shows suggested.  You left out ALL of my soap opera suggestions.  I agree that Peach Girl, Paradise Kiss, Hana Yori Dango, and Marmalade Boy are all over the top, but the person likes soap operas, many of which use the same over-the-top elements as these shoujo series.  Granted, the soap opera-like anime tend to be aimed at a younger audience than soap operas, but we have no idea if they might work since we don't know the girl.  "Over the top" might be exactly what she's looking for.  I think those four series I named fit in with 90210 very well.  I also think they're very easily accessible to any culture -- high school cliques seem to be nasty everywhere.

Along those lines, there's a small, unusual, little-known OAV called "Marriage".  It was very cheap -- I picked it up on a whim just because it was only $5.  I didn't expect much from it.  It was short, but I thought it was interesting.  It doesn't have vampire, fairy, or pixie fantasy elements, and it's rather soap-like.