スーパーロボット大戦!

Started by aznmagic2015, November 13, 2007, 09:02:18 PM

aznmagic2015

Has anyone here ever heard of this series or played it? It's very popular in Japan. Atlus translated and released the OG series for GBA here in the US.

PyronIkari

... Do you mean...

Super Robot Wars

Seeing that, it's called Super Robot Wars in Japan no matter where you see it?

Seeing that, I'm in the credits, did some of the editing in the game, NOPE.

Never heard of it... at all. Why not just call it Super Robot Wars or SRW... like every other person does, or does copy pasting Japanese make you think you're awesomer or something.

aznmagic2015

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 13, 2007, 10:13:12 PM
... Do you mean...

Super Robot Wars

Seeing that, it's called Super Robot Wars in Japan no matter where you see it?

Seeing that, I'm in the credits, did some of the editing in the game, NOPE.

Never heard of it... at all. Why not just call it Super Robot Wars or SRW... like every other person does, or does copy pasting Japanese make you think you're awesomer or something.

...is there something wrong with my making the title in Japanese? Besides anyone who plays the series (aside from the GBA OG series that was brought to the US) would recognize the title since you HAVE to import them. Even if you don't know any Japanese, seeing スーパーロボット大戦 everytime you turn on the game you would at least find it familiar.

Anyways...sarcasm aside at least you've heard of it. I didn't know you were in the credits so no need to be so nasty about it. I never played the US version...it's just sitting in it's box for my collections sake.

PyronIkari

Actually no, I first played the Super Robot wars games far before I could read any Japanese. Gameboy version, Famicom, Saturn, PSX, it wasn't until Alpha that I could read Japanese. It doesn't take much reading to play the SRWs.

And you're wrong, most people wouldn't recognize the Japanese name, as it's always referred to as Super Robot Wars amongst importers, and even a lot of JP's. Like I said...

SRW or Super Robot Wars. Most people would recognize SRW or Super Robot Wars, but not スーパーロボット大戦.

I'm wondering why you even posted this thread to be honest. I've played virtually all of them. So... what?

aznmagic2015

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 13, 2007, 10:54:47 PM
Actually no, I first played the Super Robot wars games far before I could read any Japanese. Gameboy version, Famicom, Saturn, PSX, it wasn't until Alpha that I could read Japanese. It doesn't take much reading to play the SRWs.

And you're wrong, most people wouldn't recognize the Japanese name, as it's always referred to as Super Robot Wars amongst importers, and even a lot of JP's. Like I said...

SRW or Super Robot Wars. Most people would recognize SRW or Super Robot Wars, but not スーパーロボット大戦.

I'm wondering why you even posted this thread to be honest. I've played virtually all of them. So... what?

I posted this thread to see if anyone has heard of it or played it...just like it says in my first post. And I was trying to get a discussion going once I see if someone has played it.

And like you I started playing the series before I had any knowledge of Japanese. I still recognized the title fine. But I could read Chinese so I guess the 大戦 stuck in my mind so I guess I would be one of those rare exceptions. Guess I'm used to the HK fob SRW fanbase where Japanese titles are more easily recognizable.

Appu

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 13, 2007, 10:54:47 PM

My thoughts exactly.

To OP: I've heard of it; never played it. And there's nothing wrong in posting the title in japanese - it's your thread.
MARIACHI, the Mixed Apparatus for Radar Investigation of Cosmic-rays of High Ionization, is an apparatus for the detection of ultra-high-energy cosmic rays (UHECR) via bi-static radar using VHF transmitters!

Spiritsnare

Soooo - how about the game itself?

Quote from: aznmagic2015 on November 13, 2007, 11:01:05 PMI posted this thread to see if anyone has heard of it or played it...just like it says in my first post. And I was trying to get a discussion going once I see if someone has played it.
epic progressive

vox

Shinigami

I've never heard of スーパーロボット大戦 but I've heard of Super Robot Wars.

Maybe you could have at least said in the first post "the English name is....." or use a language everyone understands, instead of trying to impress us by how much of a weeaboo you are. Oh well. Too late now.

I've heard of the games, but the only one I've played was one on SNES. It was pretty cool though, and the other ones sound fun. I want to play more. :)

aznmagic2015

Well to all those that played which robot type do you use more? Real or Super? Personally I rely mainly on real types...I like being able to dodge most stuff but I'll still use Mazinger Z, Mazinkaizer, Getter, Gunbuster, Evas(I dunno if they are considered real or super...I just assume they are super because of their high armor stat) and GaoGaiGar.

PyronIkari

Matters which version of the game. Mazinger and Getta both lose usefulness in most of the game about 15chapters in because they can't dodge and their armor sucks. After upgrades, they're only good for another 3-4 stages after that. The Evas are tanks, they're the best tanks in the game and always have been. AT-Field LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Though, realistically, you only need one Eva, since both Rei and Asuka have such horrible abilities, that they're useless late game. Rather have 1 good tank and 2 extra support/healing/speed/longrange characters instead. The better Super robots are the ones that have multi people for multi ability usages. Voltes V, Daitarn 3, Combattler V for example. All 5 characters have seperate abilities to use so late game they're versatile as support/damage/tanking.

Generally you have 1-2 damage tanks 1-3 evasion tanks, 5 long range damage, 5 short range damage, 5 support/movement characters that you use as your main.

Evas are technically Real Types and not Super Robots... I'm guessing you don't understand what makes a mecha "Super Robot" or "Real Type".

Super Robots are unnaturally created Robots. Sorta like, mysteries mechs that just exist in the world. Unrealistic in nature, and not based on Human fittings/design. Mazinger, Voltes V, Giganscudo, Dunbine... Compared to real types, which are realistic, based on science and human thought creation... Valkyries, Gundams, L-gaim.

Generally it matters what game I'm playing,when I get each mech, etc. that I choose my mechs. In Advanced, Amuro and Char are both early received, but the original Gundam sucks. I end up putting Amuro in the Gale Gouf, and putting Char in a different mech.

Since Char naturally has high evasion and what not, sticking him into a slightly slower mech gives more chances for both mechs to have higher evasion, then only putting a little money into evasion for what Char pilots makes to evasion charas over 1. Then knowing how to use PP along with which mech and pilot combinations you're using.

So I rely neither on real nor super... I actually try to plan decent combinations of mechs/pilots/point usage based on what game I'm playing.

aznmagic2015

I didn't know what type Evas were because they have traits from both super and real. I was leaning towards super since Evas are technically living organisms but they also have the exchangable weapons, ammo and that the Evas are military equipment as opposed to supers. Plus they don't rely on Guts, Courage and Hard Work( A cookie to anyone who gets this reference...I know you'll get this one Pyronikari) to defeat opponents.

Yeah I agree with you Mazingers and Getta lose usefulness pretty fast due to crappy armor and non existent dodge. But I can't help using Getta, Shine Getta Spark is just so kickass.

For me I rarely switch pilots to another mech...I know I'll get better performance but I just love keeping them with their originals. The only exceptions is if the game offers ZII I'll switch Judau out of ZZ and put him in Zeta.

Mizuki

Why did you post this... and why is the title in Japanese? I don't even recognize Melty Blood in Japanese symbols. Why am I getting a headache? WHY AM I HERE?